[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802728 times)

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #975 on: June 25, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
How do you think the US lines up tomorrow?

I'm guessing the side is unchanged from Sunday, but wonder about some fitness levels. Beasley played the entirety of two games in brutal conditions. I'd also consider Yedlin in the midfield role he played as a sub on Sunday. With Germany playing a high line, his pace could be disruptive.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #976 on: June 25, 2014, 08:54:46 AM »
How do you think the US lines up tomorrow?

I'm guessing the side is unchanged from Sunday, but wonder about some fitness levels. Beasley played the entirety of two games in brutal conditions. I'd also consider Yedlin in the midfield role he played as a sub on Sunday. With Germany playing a high line, his pace could be disruptive.

I'm guessing its similar to Sundays lineup.  One player that hasn't impressed me all that much that I could see starting on the bench is Bedoya.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Klinnsman insert Mix there.  There's no way you can keep Zusi off the field anymore.

Agree about Beasley though, especially with his age.  But who goes back there?  Can Timmy Chandler play there?

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #977 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
The Shin Guardian's preview of the game. TSG is very much worth a follow on twitter and for their posts.

http://theshinguardian.com/2014/06/25/tsgs-usa-vs-germany-friends-in-low-places/
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #978 on: June 25, 2014, 10:47:05 AM »
I'm guessing its similar to Sundays lineup.  One player that hasn't impressed me all that much that I could see starting on the bench is Bedoya.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Klinnsman insert Mix there.  There's no way you can keep Zusi off the field anymore.

Agree about Beasley though, especially with his age.  But who goes back there?  Can Timmy Chandler play there?

Chandler would frighten me. Very prone to mental lapses, and with the added pressure of playing Germany, I can see him doing something rash. Mix is interesting, but can he play wide? If he's in the side I'd have to think it would be behind Dempsey.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this plays out. I agree with the TSG piece that Ozil is the key for Germany. Which means it might come down to how Jones and Bradley hold up in the midfield. Ozil had one of his poorer games for Arsenal against Liverpool, when Henderson and Coutinho pressed him relentlessly. Those two will need to be fit enough to keep the pressure on.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #979 on: June 25, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »
I'm more interested to see how aggressively the teams play.  They both know they advance with a draw, so theoretically they could both park the bus with 90' remaining....

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #980 on: June 25, 2014, 12:26:10 PM »
Germany will try to win to guarantee they finish first in group. USA wants a win as well. Also, may depend on the situation in the ghana/portugal game going on. if portugal goes up early, both teams may pump the brakes.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #981 on: June 25, 2014, 12:28:40 PM »
Agree both teams will want to finish first, its a big difference going against Belgium versus Russia/Korea/Algeria and then after that, likely facing Argentina instead of most likely France.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #982 on: June 25, 2014, 01:41:49 PM »
I think you'll see a genuine effort in the first half. Perhaps even up to 70 minutes. But there will come a time when both recognize the inevitable and play it fairly light.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #983 on: June 25, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
I think you'll see a genuine effort in the first half. Perhaps even up to 70 minutes. But there will come a time when both recognize the inevitable and play it fairly light.

Hopefully that happens before Germany is up big

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #984 on: June 25, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »
Germany will try to win to guarantee they finish first in group. USA wants a win as well. Also, may depend on the situation in the ghana/portugal game going on. if portugal goes up early, both teams may pump the brakes.

But doesn't Germany win the group with a draw?  They have a huge goal differential after their beatdown of Portugal, and a draw puts USA and Germany at 5 points while the best Ghana or Portugal could get is 4.  So a draw - regardless of the outcome of Ghana-Portugal - would put Germany at first in the group and the US in second.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #985 on: June 25, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
I think in the back there aren't any changes except maybe Besler.  Not that I think Gonzales is better as I think Besler has been the best of the four in the back but with a tweaked hamstring and 3 days after a brutal game, I don't know if Besler can go the full 90.

In the mid I think Bradley, Zusi, Jones, and Beckerman are all given.  I think Bedoya sits and Davis plays.  He can help protect Beasley and gives them another option with crossing balls into the middle.  We're not going to be able to run Fabian Johnson down the right flank every time against Germany.  Bedoya just hasn't provided much.

Up top is Dempsey.

One variation I'd like to see is Zusi, Jones, Beckerman, and Bradly in the diamond and Dempsey and Johannsson up top.  Gives some more flexibility and more speed to try and carve up Germany's high line
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #986 on: June 25, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »
But doesn't Germany win the group with a draw?  They have a huge goal differential after their beatdown of Portugal, and a draw puts USA and Germany at 5 points while the best Ghana or Portugal could get is 4.  So a draw - regardless of the outcome of Ghana-Portugal - would put Germany at first in the group and the US in second.

This is correct
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #987 on: June 25, 2014, 11:35:27 PM »
Would love to see Suarez get suspended. Especially now since Colombia drew Uruguay. My family there says the streets in Bogota are going nuts. Now imagine how scary they would be with a healthy Falcao.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #988 on: June 25, 2014, 11:53:56 PM »
Some streets in SoCal have gone nuts with Mexico advancing. Had to call out the riot squad

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #989 on: June 26, 2014, 12:12:46 AM »
Game day. #1N1T

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #990 on: June 26, 2014, 12:39:03 AM »
Some streets in SoCal have gone nuts with Mexico advancing. Had to call out the riot squad

Where you watching tomorrow Elephant?  I'm taking morning off with my son, probably going to the Olde Ship or we might just do ESPN Zone at Disney.  Told people are lining up at 7:00am

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #991 on: June 26, 2014, 08:01:28 AM »
Ghana just suspended Muntari and Boateng for their match against Portugal.  Good news for the US if they can't eek out a win or draw today.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1913522/ghana-send-home-kevin-prince-boateng-and-sulley-muntari

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #992 on: June 26, 2014, 08:30:07 AM »
Ghana just suspended Muntari and Boateng for their match against Portugal.  Good news for the US if they can't eek out a win or draw today.

http://www.espnfc.com/fifa-world-cup/story/1913522/ghana-send-home-kevin-prince-boateng-and-sulley-muntari

Wasn't Muntari out anyway with two yellows?

I just hope that Portugal wins.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #993 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:15 AM »
Bye bye Luiz. 9 games and 4 months.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #994 on: June 26, 2014, 09:32:05 AM »
Gotta say, I'm more nervous now then I was yesterday.  Sloppy conditions and tired legs is a really bad combination.  I am more confident in a Portugal win or draw now so that relieves some of the pressure but the first 10 minutes of the game will tell the tale.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #995 on: June 26, 2014, 09:37:18 AM »
Fast field. Hot, humid, wet conditions. I'd say that slightly favors the US.

But still nervous as hell

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #996 on: June 26, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #997 on: June 26, 2014, 10:10:22 AM »
You cannot deny that Klinsi has balls. Breaks up his back four for crucial qualification match and throws Davis into the fire against one of the best midfields in the Cup.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #998 on: June 26, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
Not a fan of Omar Gonzalez.  Hopefully he plays well today.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #999 on: June 26, 2014, 10:13:42 AM »
Omar terrifies me back there. Let's hope he summons that Azteca form today.

feedback