collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801739 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #950 on: June 23, 2014, 01:22:30 PM »
Also, here's a handy chart for the US scenarios.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #951 on: June 23, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
Pause the replay at 25 seconds.  Look at where the ball is(from Howard's perspective he can know the trajectory) where Valera is and where Howard is.  Howard has 5 yards to cover in the same time Valera has at least 10...yes Valera is at speed but Howard has 4 steps, his entire length and his hands.  The ball was flat vertically and driven(to get the pace) which means Howard doesn't have to jump on it.  Plus his instinct was to go, that was his first step but then he backed off.  We may just have to agree to disagree.

I guess we have to disagree.  I see him take one step forward and then only lateral steps, but I wouldn't even call that first step as a commitment, it looked more like a rounding to be able to pivot to his right.  As a keeper, you have to be absolutely certain you can get there which I believe he felt he couldn't.

Lots of blame on that play, unfortunate.  Like other sports, plenty of plays throughout the game could have made a difference.

Take care of Germany. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #952 on: June 23, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
Ugh, such a basic trap.  

But I agree, the defense had 5 guys back against two attackers....need to body up and prevent that from happening.

Bill Simmons Opines:

Bill Simmons: Here’s my take Sunday night six hours after my first-ever stomach-punch draw …

People are making a big deal about soccer breaking through in America, thanks to the 2014 World Cup. It’s horsecrap, because if this were true, our entire country would be traumatized right now. How do we let that guy behind us for Ronaldo’s desperation cross? How? Did Klinsmann sub in Rahim Moore at the 92-minute mark and I missed it? Miracle soccer goals should have high degrees of difficulty — think Megan Rapinoe to Abby Wambach in 2011, a play that had to go absolutely perfectly in like six different ways just to have a chance to work. Portugal’s second goal was your basic world-class cross coupled with a multi-defender collapse and a well-done header, which would have been fine, you know, except we were 25 seconds away from advancing to the next unnatural carnal knowledgeing round. If I watch one more person on TV say, “If you told me before the tournament we’d have four points after two games, I would have taken it,” I’m gonna throw up. We outplayed them and we choked. We could be spending our Monday making Ronaldo jokes, watching YouTube clips of American sports bars reacting to our go-ahead goal, and wondering who would win a fight between Clint Dempsey and Liam Neeson. This sucks.

Can't get enough of this gif.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:01:36 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #953 on: June 23, 2014, 02:01:17 PM »
Man if he just handles that first touch better...

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #954 on: June 23, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
I am terrified of Karma:

The Panamanian witch-doctors caused the stoppage time Portugal goal, hopefully their powers are used up.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/05/08/13/10/mnt-vs-panama-highlights--oct-15-2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #955 on: June 23, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
I am terrified of Karma:

The Panamanian witch-doctors caused the stoppage time Portugal goal, hopefully their powers are used up.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/05/08/13/10/mnt-vs-panama-highlights--oct-15-2013

I remember the announcers saying 4 minutes of stoppage time yesterday, then all of a sudden they made it 5. Not sure what changed, perhaps that last substitution at around the 90 minute mark?  Would have liked it to be 4.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #956 on: June 23, 2014, 02:10:45 PM »
Man if he just handles that first touch better...

That is just pure exhaustion I think with just a dash of mental relaxation too soon.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #957 on: June 23, 2014, 02:17:26 PM »
I remember the announcers saying 4 minutes of stoppage time yesterday, then all of a sudden they made it 5. Not sure what changed, perhaps that last substitution at around the 90 minute mark?  Would have liked it to be 4.
I think the added minute was due to Zusi taking (at least) 45 seconds to get off the field @ 90'

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #958 on: June 23, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »
I think the added minute was due to Zusi taking (at least) 45 seconds to get off the field @ 90'

That was my guess as well.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #959 on: June 23, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »
Didn't miss an open net, was blocked by a defender(by definition not an open net).  Bradley struck a one time shot to the heart of the goal on a bouncing ball 10 yards from the goal that came off a deflection and a diving defend managed to get his knee cap on that ball.  Could he have done better, yes, but it was a good effort.

I'm not going to defend the crap out of Bradley, he's played below his standards but you have to look at the game in total.  Go back and watch his distribution.  He was absolutely feeding Fabian Johnson and Dempsey to stretch the defense and Portugal had to make a defensive substitution (Williams) to try and limit Bradley's and Jones' possession and creativity.  Again if Bradley's give-away happens in the 65th minute this laser focus isn't there.
was unable (missed) to put his shot between either post and the defender who was centrally located and unable to use his hands.  First rule of shooting, put your shot in the middle of the picture frame.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #960 on: June 23, 2014, 02:26:42 PM »
Lost in the draw is a point I've seen a few folks make. Yesterday was arguably the best performance the US has ever had in a world cup.

Sure, the late equalizer is a stomach punch. But screw it... the team played in a way that made me feel proud yesterday.

I'm excited to watch the US play against Germany. I'm confident the team is going to play well.
  The Portugal win in 1994 was better and eliminating Mexico to get to the round of 16 cannot be overlooked.  And, US was playing a weak Portugal yesterday beset with injuries and missing players.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #961 on: June 23, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »
TV ratings were massive... 18.2 million on ESPN, and another 6.5 million on Univision.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/06/usa-portugal-most-viewed-soccer-match-ever-in-u-s/

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #962 on: June 23, 2014, 02:36:43 PM »

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #963 on: June 23, 2014, 02:37:56 PM »
  The Portugal win in 1994 was better and eliminating Mexico to get to the round of 16 cannot be overlooked.  And, US was playing a weak Portugal yesterday beset with injuries and missing players.

of course the US itself was a team beset with injuries (Dempsey) & missing players (Altidore)

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #964 on: June 23, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
TV ratings were massive... 18.2 million on ESPN, and another 6.5 million on Univision.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/06/usa-portugal-most-viewed-soccer-match-ever-in-u-s/

Impressive, though wonder how much a negligible time zone offset helped the numbers. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #965 on: June 23, 2014, 03:02:02 PM »

I pointed this out on the previous page

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #966 on: June 23, 2014, 03:18:14 PM »
It's all about the yanks, and always will be.  Leave for Manaus on Thursday.  Can't wait.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip.  When the national anthem was sung and the Americans seemed to be in full throat in the stands, that was quite cool.  You guys represented well.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #967 on: June 23, 2014, 04:35:07 PM »
I know they are our sworn enemies, rivals, etc. - but I am really enjoying watching Mexico.  Great energy, great crowd, great goal celebrations today.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #968 on: June 23, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »

The Portugal win was in the 2002 WC, the big win in 94 was against Colombia.

I would agree that the win might have been a little more of an upset as that Portugal team was better and that USA team was not as talented as this one, but as far as performances go, I thought that this game was the best I have seen the USMNT play.  Not just final score, but actual performance.

Example, beating Spain in the Confederations Cup 2-0 was arguably the greatest USMNT win of all time.  But if you watch that game, it really wasn't a great performance.

ttheisen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #969 on: June 23, 2014, 04:41:15 PM »
I know they are our sworn enemies, rivals, etc. - but I am really enjoying watching Mexico.  Great energy, great crowd, great goal celebrations today.

And again.  One more and they have GD on Brazil.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #970 on: June 23, 2014, 05:32:14 PM »
Twellman confirms (I guess)

https://twitter.com/TaylorTwellman/status/480871079968505856

So it was Zusi who walked off slowly (probably to waste time) or his sub walking on the pitch slowly?
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #971 on: June 23, 2014, 05:49:39 PM »

So it was Zusi who walked off slowly (probably to waste time) or his sub walking on the pitch slowly?

Sub can't walk on until Zusi gets off, at least not supposed to.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #972 on: June 23, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »
Is a flow chart easier for you?

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #973 on: June 24, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
Luis Suarez is back to biting people again.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #974 on: June 24, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
Luis Suarez is back to biting people again.

The dude can play...but he also has some serious issues.  I'd be pretty surprised if he gets to play anymore in this WC.