[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803004 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #875 on: June 18, 2014, 01:40:07 PM »
1. I doubt he will be out.

2. If he is, this will be a sure sign that we blow it.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #876 on: June 18, 2014, 02:03:44 PM »
Holy Balls

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2661588/Cristiano-Ronaldo-limps-training-Portugals-World-Cup-goes-bad-worse.html

The Daily Mail's trash, so I don't trust anything they say.  I also find it humorous that the WSJ is making the jump from cutting training short with an iced knee to potentially missing the rest of the WC.  It would be great if he can't give it a go, but I would be very surprised if he doesn't at least come off of the bench in the second half.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #877 on: June 18, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1891470/cristiano-ronaldo-exits-portugal-practice-early-with-ice-on-knee

"Ronaldo has frequently left training early to ice his knee over the past several weeks."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #878 on: June 18, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »
1. I doubt he will be out.

2. If he is, this will be a sure sign that we blow it.

I don't believe it for a second.

If it comes Ronaldo can't play it is a great shame and puts an inordinate amount of pressure on the States which is to our detriment.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #879 on: June 18, 2014, 03:43:42 PM »
Eventually Spain's reign had to end. But, good lord, it ends horribly.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #880 on: June 18, 2014, 04:16:55 PM »
http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1891470/cristiano-ronaldo-exits-portugal-practice-early-with-ice-on-knee

"Ronaldo has frequently left training early to ice his knee over the past several weeks."

A crunching tackle from Jermaine Jones might do the trick. He's due a yellow card.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #881 on: June 19, 2014, 04:39:55 AM »
A crunching tackle from Jermaine Jones might do the trick. He's due a yellow card.

No possible red cards.  Jones played by far the best game for us.  He's getting rave reviews on his performance.  We need him for another full 90.  But the key to us winning is Bradley playing like he normally does.  That was the worst performance out of him I can remember.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #882 on: June 19, 2014, 06:34:36 AM »
I was lucky to see USA defeat a highly rated, but very tired-looking Portugal in Suwon Korea twelve years ago.  Up 3 nil, we then hung on by our fingernails to eke out a 3-2 win. 

Lighting can strike twice, can't it?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #883 on: June 19, 2014, 08:24:52 AM »
Eventually Spain's reign had to end. But, good lord, it ends horribly.

I think it was Xabi Alonso who was quoted as saying they didn't find the necessary desire to enter a tournament with a winning mentality. No shock considering they've ruled the world for the last half decade and go down as arguably the greatest national team era in history.

They looked exhausted and unenthused. Between club and country these guys have played more than anyone else last five or six years and just like a Dwyane Wade or Kobe Bryant when your tournament runs add up to nearly another full season of competition that mind and body will break down.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #884 on: June 19, 2014, 08:51:14 AM »

... just like a Dwyane Wade or Kobe Bryant when your tournament runs add up to nearly another full season of competition that mind and body will break down.

Bill Simmons agrees with you.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #885 on: June 19, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »
I think it was Xabi Alonso who was quoted as saying they didn't find the necessary desire to enter a tournament with a winning mentality. No shock considering they've ruled the world for the last half decade and go down as arguably the greatest national team era in history.

What an era, indeed.  A horrible ending to a spectacular run -- but the pain might only be temporary.  Spain won the U-21 title last summer, and while the next generation could never be on par with the greatness they'll follow -- La Roja should be poised to make a strong run at Euro 2016.  Koke and Thiago (who Pep is tuturing these days) jump in for Xavi and Iniesta at midfield  ... among many other promising players (Bartra, Tello, Isco).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 09:49:44 AM by NYWarrior »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #886 on: June 20, 2014, 12:58:35 PM »
With Costa Rica beating Italy today, teams from the Americas have now played 12 games against teams from outside and have won 10 of them. The only exceptions are Ecuador losing to Switzerland and Honduras losing to France.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #887 on: June 20, 2014, 12:58:53 PM »
Holy Ticos. Mighty impressive showing thus far.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #888 on: June 20, 2014, 02:38:47 PM »
Holy Ticos. Mighty impressive showing thus far.

CONCACAF represent
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #889 on: June 20, 2014, 03:03:09 PM »
But the key to us winning is Bradley playing like he normally does.  That was the worst performance out of him I can remember.

I'm glad somebody wrote this.  I know next to nothing about soccer and am not a fan of the sport but I really like the idea of a World Cup with so many countries so invested in it.  So I watched the game against Ghana nad thought that Bradley's play ranged from inconsequential to dreadful.  Despite what my eyes told me, the announcers praised him quite a bit and I chalked it up to "I just don't understand soccer."
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #890 on: June 20, 2014, 03:08:08 PM »

The announcers I listened to were bashing him for a bad game.

England done.  Thank you Costa Rica.

brandx

« Reply #891 on: June 20, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »

The announcers I listened to were bashing him for a bad game.

England done.  Thank you Costa Rica.

To all my friends in CR, Congrats!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #892 on: June 21, 2014, 04:18:33 PM »
Ghana-Germany ended in a tie. I'm fine with that because not only does it not let Germany feel uncomfortable with their situation it allows Ghana to wait on pins and needles for Sunday AND it gives the US the confidence to shut Portugal down and advance.

I'm wary of Portugal's prowess. If they do end up beating the US, I'd rather it be 1-0 than 3-0. After the Germany debacle, they have some making up to do and they are fully capable of doing so.
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #893 on: June 22, 2014, 02:33:18 AM »
Ghana-Germany ended in a tie. I'm fine with that because not only does it not let Germany feel uncomfortable with their situation it allows Ghana to wait on pins and needles for Sunday AND it gives the US the confidence to shut Portugal down and advance.

I'm wary of Portugal's prowess. If they do end up beating the US, I'd rather it be 1-0 than 3-0. After the Germany debacle, they have some making up to do and they are fully capable of doing so.

I am beyond nervous about this game.  Today's Germany outcome not good in my opinion.  If we win Sunday, then all is good.  If we draw, things get a lot tougher.  If we lose....ugh.  I think a totally different Portugal team shows up.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #894 on: June 22, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
I am beyond nervous about this game.  Today's Germany outcome not good in my opinion.  If we win Sunday, then all is good.  If we draw, things get a lot tougher.  If we lose....ugh.  I think a totally different Portugal team shows up.

Literally and figuratively I presume with the injuries/suspension.

So often during qualifying Ronaldo was the reason Portugal succeeded. Even when he was playing well, they weren't all that impressive (as shown by needing the playoff to qualify). This is not an overly gifted squad. There is no true #9. Their midfield isn't as imposing as the hypes of their names would suggest. And even prior to the shuffling, their back four did not inspire confidence.

My feeling is that the one way Portugal finds a way on top to dictate play, especially with a hobbled Ronaldo, is if the US comes out tight and tentative knowing full well how close they are to advancing. As down as I am on the makeup of Portugal's squad they will have the sense to pick up on that tense feeling on the other side of the pitch and will gain the confidence necessary to eradicate thoughts of the Germany debacle.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #895 on: June 22, 2014, 05:06:08 PM »
Not the desired start. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #896 on: June 22, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
...nor the desired ending.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #897 on: June 22, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »
Sorry, but Bradley played poorly again in my opinion.  Better than last game, but still too many errors.  Forget the missed goal, even though that was huge.  That last goal, another giveaway by Bradley led to that final push.  He just hasn't been solid and at his position, he must play better.

Before the game started, I would have taken a draw, but that was a killer. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #898 on: June 22, 2014, 07:05:59 PM »
Hand it to Ronaldo.  Clearly hurt but that last pass...wow...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #899 on: June 22, 2014, 07:35:16 PM »
God just watched that last sequence.  All Bradley had to do is make the easy pass, but he tried to take it himself.  Brutal.

I think they had too many men forward too.