[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802569 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #850 on: June 17, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »
Agree, I've seen it said in several places that the US team didn't look fit and I think that is false and based off of a few hamstring items that in general are not fitness related.

I think the US got out-possessed not because of lack of fitness, but really because of poor performances from Beckerman and Bradley, as well as losing the outlet up top with Jozy.

Bradley sucked yesterday....absolutely agree.  They were chasing the ball a lot yesterday, and in those conditions that is tough. 

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #851 on: June 17, 2014, 04:12:54 PM »
At the same time, there was another party going on.  Multitasking

Go Ducks, eh Chicos?
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #852 on: June 17, 2014, 04:31:58 PM »
Go Ducks, eh Chicos?

Yup, for me.  My son and wife, Kings fans.  Who I cheered for against the racist Blackhawks...the Kings.  Who I cheered for against the Rangers, didn't particularly care but since I got to attend the series, it was pretty easy to cheer on the Kings.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #853 on: June 17, 2014, 04:35:55 PM »
Looks like about 1/10 the number of people in Grant Park

Good thing you are judging by a picture.  1/10th....you got that all by a closed crop photo.  Interesting.

Though it wouldn't be totally unheard of.  The game was after 5:00pm in Chicago, the game was still during working hours out here.  Circumstances matter.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #854 on: June 17, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »
Good thing you are judging by a picture.  1/10th....you got that all by a closed crop photo.  Interesting.

Though it wouldn't be totally unheard of.  The game was after 5:00pm in Chicago, the game was still during working hours out here.  Circumstances matter.

You supplied the picture. Give me a better one then.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #855 on: June 17, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »
You supplied the picture. Give me a better one then.

Don't have one, that was taken from a coworker of mine that was down there...she sent it to me.  Again, I have no doubt more in Hyde Park.  LA folks still working when game stated, people at the Kings parade, lots of folks out here who ...ahem...allegiances are to their home country which...ahem....isn't where they are currently living....legally or otherwise.

Besides, I learned long ago when reports of the Million Man March having more like 500K not to trust a lot on crowd sizing by photos.  I recall John Kerry during the election of 2004, you would have thought 10 million people were at each location.  LOL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #856 on: June 17, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »
Why must you make everything political?  Don't you think you get enough attention already?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #857 on: June 17, 2014, 07:40:02 PM »
Can we keep this thread clean? It's been so good for so long.

brandx

« Reply #858 on: June 17, 2014, 07:50:20 PM »
As a non-soccer fan, can some of the knowledgeable here give me their opinion on whether we can win another game?

I thought we were outplayed most of the game. I'm sure Ghana took many more shots and other than the last 10 - 15 minutes, I would guess they had the ball in our zone 75% of the time.

I need someone to tell me where I am wrong.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #859 on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:38 PM »
As a non-soccer fan, can some of the knowledgeable here give me their opinion on whether we can win another game?

I thought we were outplayed most of the game. I'm sure Ghana took many more shots and other than the last 10 - 15 minutes, I would guess they had the ball in our zone 75% of the time.

I need someone to tell me where I am wrong.

It was an interesting game. Completely different than I expected, especially considering the Nigeria game. I would say we had to change our attacking strategy on-the-fly once Jozy went down. Besler was a little gimpy, as was Bedoya. Further, Bradley played like absolute dogcrap. All of these things combined to give us the 90+ we saw. Not to mention, Ghana is a good team.

So, when you think about all that, we still came away with 3 points. That's impressive in itself.

Portugal is hurting, through suspensions, injuries and mindset. I think we've got a good shot against them. Klins and the team will have to adjust tactically bigtime for Portugal, both because it's a completely different team/style and d/t our own injuries.

Personally, I'm hoping for a draw against Portugal, loss against Germany. That SHOULD be enough to get us out of the group.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #860 on: June 17, 2014, 08:58:52 PM »

Personally, I'm hoping for a draw against Portugal, loss against Germany. That SHOULD be enough to get us out of the group.

That seems to be the consensus, and as long as our margin of loss against Germany is 2 or fewer goals we should be good to go. (Tiebreaker is goals +/- margin, and Portugal put themselves in a deep hole losing to Germany by 4 goals). Assuming we tie Portugal and they beat Ghana, that would be the tiebreaker.

That said, I think we have a really good chance to beat Portugal given the circumstances. It would be sweet to have advancing out of group play all wrapped up before we even play Germany. I also think Ghana is fully capable of beating Portugal. The only given in this Group is that Germany is going to win it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:00:54 PM by Bleuteaux »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #861 on: June 18, 2014, 07:10:30 AM »
With Contrero, Almeida, and Pepe out, the US should win, and they will.  And it will be a party in the USA, Jimmy Butler style.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #862 on: June 18, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »
Portugal playing for their pride and lives....wounded animal.  I will be happy with draw in this game as I fear worse result.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #863 on: June 18, 2014, 08:54:19 AM »
Portugal playing for their pride and lives....wounded animal.  I will be happy with draw in this game as I fear worse result.

Not only wounded animal but they have the best player in the world no matter how much his left knee is acting up. Individual brilliance can trump organization most any time and Ronaldo's dance through qualifying, most especially his outrageous performance in Sweden, is evidence enough.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #864 on: June 18, 2014, 08:55:21 AM »

And the US isn't?

There are reasons Portugal can win, namely the gaping hole at left back the US has. But playing for pride isn't one of them. Every team in the tournament does that.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #865 on: June 18, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »
Has there been an update on Altidore? Is he for sure out on Sunday?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #866 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:19 AM »
Has there been an update on Altidore? Is he for sure out on Sunday?

He is 99.999999% sure out for Sunday. Is he out for the tournament? We'll see.

http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/06/klinsmann-provides-altidore.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #867 on: June 18, 2014, 09:12:20 AM »
And the US isn't?

There are reasons Portugal can win, namely the gaping hole at left back the US has. But playing for pride isn't one of them. Every team in the tournament does that.

Didn't say we aren't, but I don't have a good feeling right now about this game as a win.  I would take a draw happily.  Will be a tough game.  They aren't going to roll over this time.  What I saw of Portugal earlier this week, I would disagree with your statement that every team plays with pride.  As the announcers said, in the last 20 minutes they had totally given up playing.  No pride.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #868 on: June 18, 2014, 09:31:08 AM »
The only given in this Group is that Germany is going to win it.

But what if Ghana ties Germany and the US beats Portugal?

It could happen, and it's not even that crazy!
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #869 on: June 18, 2014, 09:57:19 AM »
Didn't say we aren't, but I don't have a good feeling right now about this game as a win.  I would take a draw happily.  Will be a tough game.  They aren't going to roll over this time.  What I saw of Portugal earlier this week, I would disagree with your statement that every team plays with pride.  As the announcers said, in the last 20 minutes they had totally given up playing.  No pride.

Hoping for a draw, preferably a high scoring draw, with no injuries.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #870 on: June 18, 2014, 10:05:05 AM »
preferably a high scoring draw,

What difference does that make?

Or do you just mean in terms of excitement?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #871 on: June 18, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
What difference does that make?

Or do you just mean in terms of excitement?

tie breakers. after goal differential.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #872 on: June 18, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
Christian Ronaldo may be out of the rest of the world cup

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #873 on: June 18, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
Christian Ronaldo may be out of the rest of the world cup

Ok, I need some twitter tracking on this....

World Cup 2014 ‏@TheFifaWorIdCup  43m
BREAKING: Multiple reports are coming out saying that Cristiano Ronaldo is OUT of the World Cup due to his injury.

Ahmed Morsy ‏@AhmedMorsy_  3m
Ronaldo reportedly pulled out of training, might be out of the #WorldCup, @richardajkeys cites multiple sources in #POR, #ESP, #ENG press.

Portugal fans be like. (Stolen from Fifa twitter account)

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Coleman

• All American

feedback