[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802766 times)

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #825 on: June 16, 2014, 11:26:14 PM »
 My better half and I were really looking forward to World Cup but after watching the NHL playoffs and Stanley Cup seeing soccer players going down and writhing in supposed agony after incidental contact was a bit disappointing. Hell, a King player had his cheek slashed open by a stick and was back out on the ice  the next time his line was sent.  Particularly as the first game was Brazil which seems to excel in histrionics.
U.S. took a beating today and did us proud by not whining. Dempsey and Jones were men out there today.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #826 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:38 AM »
No. Roster is what it is for every team at this point. Luckily, Portugal is decimated and out of sorts as well

That's what I figured.  Hopefully AJ will perform better against Portugal.

Anywhere stream for free?
Or does anyone want pm a fellow scooper some watch ESPN credentials?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #827 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
My better half and I were really looking forward to World Cup but after watching the NHL playoffs and Stanley Cup seeing soccer players going down and writhing in supposed agony after incidental contact was a bit disappointing. Hell, a King player had his cheek slashed open by a stick and was back out on the ice  the next time his line was sent.  Particularly as the first game was Brazil which seems to excel in histrionics.
U.S. took a beating today and did us proud by not whining. Dempsey and Jones were men out there today.

The gamesmanship in soccer is no worse than a guard in basketball accentuating contact in the lane or a wide receiver in football exasperatingly throwing their hands in the air on a deep ball. Hell, even those beloved hockey players you mentioned for their toughness were whistled multiple times this postseason for embellishment penalties.

Every sport has a culture of wanting to gain favor from the officials. Some just do it under pads and facemasks which make it tough for the average viewer to pick up on the deception.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #828 on: June 17, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »
What is it about hockey fans that feel that their sport's players are "tougher" than everyone elses? 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #829 on: June 17, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »

Johannsson is the most talented forward in the US team. He was put into arguably the most difficult position any 9 could be and nothing -- good or bad -- could be derived from his 75 minutes.

As much as the US has played with a brute up front who excels in holding the ball up for Dempsey and Bradley, I'd love to see JK throw a skilled Johannsson against a depleted Portugal back four which would add some threat from the beginning.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #830 on: June 17, 2014, 09:59:12 AM »
Anyone know what the status is for the Portugal guy who went down with a hammy injury yesterday? Is he supposed to be out come Sunday or is it too early to tell, also is it a big lose for them?
Bring back FFP!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #831 on: June 17, 2014, 10:08:11 AM »
Johannsson is the most talented forward in the US team. He was put into arguably the most difficult position any 9 could be and nothing -- good or bad -- could be derived from his 75 minutes.

As much as the US has played with a brute up front who excels in holding the ball up for Dempsey and Bradley, I'd love to see JK throw a skilled Johannsson against a depleted Portugal back four which would add some threat from the beginning.

I will admit that I don't know a lot about assessing soccer talent so take this for what it's worth.  To me he seems like a guy who has raw talent, but seemed to lack decisiveness and strength.  Like a highly rated freshman basketball player in his first game on the road and thinking "oh...this isn't like high school."

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #832 on: June 17, 2014, 10:12:05 AM »

Maybe "better" wasn't the right word choice by me.  (And I am extremely uninformed about his abilities.)

Do you think he would have gotten much time yesterday without the injury?  Did JK originally  view him as a sub only? 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #833 on: June 17, 2014, 10:15:24 AM »
Maybe "better" wasn't the right word choice by me.  (And I am extremely uninformed about his abilities.)

Do you think he would have gotten much time yesterday without the injury?  Did JK originally  view him as a sub only? 

I think AJ is highly skilled, but without injury to Altidore, he would come in as a sub-only.  Unless of course Jozy was to play very poorly. 

I think if Dempsey was to leave the game, Wondolowski would be the one to replace him just due to his style of play.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #834 on: June 17, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »

I will admit that I don't know a lot about assessing soccer talent so take this for what it's worth.  To me he seems like a guy who has raw talent, but seemed to lack decisiveness and strength.  Like a highly rated freshman basketball player in his first game on the road and thinking "oh...this isn't like high school."

AJ is 23 which isn't young but not yet finished developing. He had a good season in the Netherlands where he scored around 20 goals if I remember correctly which would be in roughly 35-40 games (don't know off top of head) so there is some sense of decisiveness around his game.

But, he's only played with the US less then 10 times. Still very new with teammates and, of course, the skill level from the creative types in midfield is different than what he's used to even at a mid-level club team.

For now, it's a bit of a square peg in a circle thing because Klinsmann's system isn't the best for AJ's playing style but AJ is the only guy on the team short of Dempsey who can bury a goal out of nothing. US will need that at some point this tournament.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #835 on: June 17, 2014, 10:45:05 AM »
Great start....though appears the Chicago fans are cheering harder for the USA than the L.A. fans  (teal implied)

No teal needed

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #836 on: June 17, 2014, 11:13:51 AM »
AJ is 23 which isn't young but not yet finished developing. He had a good season in the Netherlands where he scored around 20 goals if I remember correctly which would be in roughly 35-40 games (don't know off top of head) so there is some sense of decisiveness around his game.

But, he's only played with the US less then 10 times. Still very new with teammates and, of course, the skill level from the creative types in midfield is different than what he's used to even at a mid-level club team.

For now, it's a bit of a square peg in a circle thing because Klinsmann's system isn't the best for AJ's playing style but AJ is the only guy on the team short of Dempsey who can bury a goal out of nothing. US will need that at some point this tournament.

Agreed with all your points.  Additionally, he's only been capped 9 times at the international level.  He's a fantastic talent, but he's not played often at this level.  The Danish league is a step down, and the Dutch league, while great soccer, isn't big on defense.  So there is an adjustment.  I think he'll be fine, but that was a really tough position to be placed into.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #837 on: June 17, 2014, 12:07:38 PM »

firstrowsports

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #838 on: June 17, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »

Agreed. Our attacking strategy/tactics/buildup as well as possession are currently based on jozy's holdup ability. now the midfield will have to be much more involved in holding the ball. It'll either be counterattack starting with the mids and building to Dempsey and Aron or we'll have to play more methodically in getting our mids up to support the front 2. Should be a big adjustment either way. It'll be interesting to see what Klinsy chooses to do.

We may also see a 1 striker look with Dempsey and Mix on the field behind him. Somewhat of a false 9.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #839 on: June 17, 2014, 01:02:51 PM »
We may also see a 1 striker look with Dempsey and Mix on the field behind him. Somewhat of a false 9.

That was my first thought. I like Johannsson as a pacey sub off the bench if they need to chase it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #840 on: June 17, 2014, 01:32:19 PM »
Of course, our #1 goal should be figuring out what the unnatural carnal knowledge is going on with the physio/fitness/stamina. Can't be subbing d/t cramps. Can't be having injuries d/t conditioning problems.

There's a bit of a theory floated out there that Kliny's hyper-fitness model may be coming back to bite the team right now. (somewhat like people wondered if Buzz did the same to MU)

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #841 on: June 17, 2014, 02:11:47 PM »

Deadspin has multiple streams for every game and most of them are in HD.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #842 on: June 17, 2014, 02:20:42 PM »
What is it about hockey fans that feel that their sport's players are "tougher" than everyone elses? 

Because it is....IMO

When I saw Getzlaf take a puck to the face or the guy from the Rangers break his jaw, yet both were out there the next game, that just embodies hockey.  Get some teeth knocked out, go to the locker room and come back for the next period. 

That being said, soccer gets a bad rap in terms of toughness.  From personal experience, all of my broken bones, ligament tears, etc, were from soccer over the years.  Football, never a serious injury. That's only one person's perspective, but no padding basically with soccer, running like a dog for 90 minutes on a huge field, a lot can happen.  Football I felt like I was playing hard for 5 seconds then doing nothing for 30, playing hard for 5 seconds, then nothing.  Depending if you played both sides of the ball, you also got a lot of downtime potentially.  My two cents.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #843 on: June 17, 2014, 02:23:42 PM »
Of course, our #1 goal should be figuring out what the unnatural carnal knowledge is going on with the physio/fitness/stamina. Can't be subbing d/t cramps. Can't be having injuries d/t conditioning problems.

There's a bit of a theory floated out there that Kliny's hyper-fitness model may be coming back to bite the team right now. (somewhat like people wondered if Buzz did the same to MU)

I think the perception is worse than reality on fitness. Jozy in full stride would have pulled that hamstring whether in Natal or Portland, Maine. As a result, they were extra careful with Besler. I'd expect him to be fine and start on Sunday.

Otherwise, Dempsey nose and Bedoya hip have nothing to do with fitness. In fact, as winded as they would have been at the end I didn't see any telltale indication of heavy legs from the 10 that were out there. Seemed to still have some gas left.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #844 on: June 17, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
No teal needed

We had viewing parties as well.  No teal needed

At the same time, there was another party going on.  Multitasking

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:27:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #845 on: June 17, 2014, 02:27:45 PM »
Because it is....IMO

When I saw Getzlaf take a puck to the face or the guy from the Rangers break his jaw, yet both were out there the next game, that just embodies hockey.  Get some teeth knocked out, go to the locker room and come back for the next period. 

You have apparently bought into the hype as well.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #846 on: June 17, 2014, 02:31:53 PM »
Because it is....IMO

That being said, soccer gets a bad rap in terms of toughness.  From personal experience, all of my broken bones, ligament tears, etc, were from soccer over the years.  Football, never a serious injury. That's only one person's perspective, but no padding basically with soccer, running like a dog for 90 minutes on a huge field, a lot can happen.  Football I felt like I was playing hard for 5 seconds then doing nothing for 30, playing hard for 5 seconds, then nothing.  Depending if you played both sides of the ball, you also got a lot of downtime potentially.  My two cents.

In one of my adult league games I took a crosscheck to the kidney once.  I couldn't move without the aid of excess ibuprofen for like 5 days.  Getting out of bed the morning after was extremely painful.  To add insult to injury, I would have stayed home from work, but I had to go as I was hosting customers from China for the next 2 days. 

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #847 on: June 17, 2014, 02:38:43 PM »
I think the perception is worse than reality on fitness. Jozy in full stride would have pulled that hamstring whether in Natal or Portland, Maine. As a result, they were extra careful with Besler. I'd expect him to be fine and start on Sunday.

Otherwise, Dempsey nose and Bedoya hip have nothing to do with fitness. In fact, as winded as they would have been at the end I didn't see any telltale indication of heavy legs from the 10 that were out there. Seemed to still have some gas left.

Agree, I've seen it said in several places that the US team didn't look fit and I think that is false and based off of a few hamstring items that in general are not fitness related.

I think the US got out-possessed not because of lack of fitness, but really because of poor performances from Beckerman and Bradley, as well as losing the outlet up top with Jozy.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #848 on: June 17, 2014, 02:46:08 PM »

You have apparently bought into the hype as well.

Having worked for a NHL team for several years directly, and then indirectly working with all four major leagues the last 15 years....I don't think I have bought into any hype at all.  With all due respect.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #849 on: June 17, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
We had viewing parties as well.  No teal needed

Looks like about 1/10 the number of people in Grant Park