[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802758 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #775 on: June 05, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
From an official pregame announcement?  No.  But effectively they will be playing a 3-5-2 any time Fabian is playing one of the backs

This.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #776 on: June 05, 2014, 03:33:02 PM »
From an official pregame announcement?  No.  But effectively they will be playing a 3-5-2 any time Fabian is playing one of the backs.
Wouldn't that qualify as 3-2-4-1 then?  LOL.

Point being that there is no point in using numerical designations to describe what formation is being played.  How they line up, how they play in attack and how they defend are 3 different things.  No, there won't be any pre-game 3-5-2 announcements, I'd wager.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #777 on: June 05, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »
Who are the 3 mids and 3 forwards in your mind here?
  since you wanted Diskerud in the mix, I'd say:

Mids - Bedoya, Bradley, Diskerud

Forwards - Dempsey, Altidore, pick any other forward you like.

Just my 2 cents.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #778 on: June 06, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
Wouldn't that qualify as 3-2-4-1 then?  LOL.

Point being that there is no point in using numerical designations to describe what formation is being played.  How they line up, how they play in attack and how they defend are 3 different things.  No, there won't be any pre-game 3-5-2 announcements, I'd wager.

Ultimately you are right, there are all sorts of ways to classify the same formation.  My point is that going forward they will have a lot of wing attackers with Dempsey/Altidore/Bradley creating the trouble in the middle.  Attacking it's probably a 3-5-2 and on defense it is probably a 5-3-2 with Jones becoming essentially a stopper and Johnson winging back.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #780 on: June 06, 2014, 08:23:19 AM »
  since you wanted Diskerud in the mix, I'd say:

Mids - Bedoya, Bradley, Diskerud

Forwards - Dempsey, Altidore, pick any other forward you like.

Just my 2 cents.

Interesting. That could work. I'm not so sure Dempsey's role is a winger, but I get that. I actually kinda like the idea of Bedoya-Bradley-Diskerud across the middle

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #781 on: June 06, 2014, 08:35:36 AM »
Interesting. That could work. I'm not so sure Dempsey's role is a winger, but I get that. I actually kinda like the idea of Bedoya-Bradley-Diskerud across the middle

I really kind of hate Jones not being in the DM role.  I think that puts even more pressure on the defense without a lot of benefit on the attacking end.  I think this formation puts too much traffic on the wings.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #782 on: June 06, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »

But what do I know, I prefer Davis to Bedoya and love Zusi.  If Diskerud could play on the left side instead of Davis I'd be ok with that but for me I would never take Zusi out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #783 on: June 06, 2014, 08:50:43 AM »
But what do I know, I prefer Davis to Bedoya and love Zusi.  If Diskerud could play on the left side instead of Davis I'd be ok with that but for me I would never take Zusi out.

May I ask why you prefer Davis to Bedoya?

As for the DM role talked about above, it's clear that Bradley partners better with Beckerman (not to mention he's less a card risk) but short of an injury he'll never be ahead of Jones.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #784 on: June 06, 2014, 09:01:09 AM »
May I ask why you prefer Davis to Bedoya?

As for the DM role talked about above, it's clear that Bradley partners better with Beckerman (not to mention he's less a card risk) but short of an injury he'll never be ahead of Jones.

For me it's a risk/reward analysis.  I think Davis is less risky but less flashy/aggresive where as Bedoya is no doubt a talent but is high risk.  I also think Davis has more flexibility in position he plays during a game as we as serving the ball into the area during run of play or from a set piece.

Bedoya is the right piece is we need attacking off the wing, with this team I think they enter the ball from the wing(Davis strong suit)

As far as Beckerman...he is far too slow especially when we are playing Ghana and Portugal.  I could see Beckerman playing against Germany though.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #785 on: June 06, 2014, 10:52:38 AM »
For me it's a risk/reward analysis.  I think Davis is less risky but less flashy/aggresive where as Bedoya is no doubt a talent but is high risk.  I also think Davis has more flexibility in position he plays during a game as we as serving the ball into the area during run of play or from a set piece.

Bedoya is the right piece is we need attacking off the wing, with this team I think they enter the ball from the wing(Davis strong suit)

As far as Beckerman...he is far too slow especially when we are playing Ghana and Portugal.  I could see Beckerman playing against Germany though.

On a team that is dying for creativity and attacking mindset it seems strange to advocate for a less risky option. Davis provides nothing more than a nice ball off a set piece. He's nowhere near the player Bedoya is, especially considering how strong of a finish to his season Bedoya had with Nantes. Shocked he was included in this squad over Donovan (because the excuse that LD is a forward is simply nonsense).

I don't see the slowness with Beckerman. He's no slower than Jones. He's more disciplined. Much better at holding his position in front of defense and not allowing those wide gulfs of space that Jones does when he fashions himself an offensive genius. In qualifying, US had much more a steady pace about it when Bradley was able to probe with Beckerman staying anchored. In the end, it doesn't matter unless Jones gets injured.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #786 on: June 06, 2014, 12:42:31 PM »
On a team that is dying for creativity and attacking mindset it seems strange to advocate for a less risky option. Davis provides nothing more than a nice ball off a set piece. He's nowhere near the player Bedoya is, especially considering how strong of a finish to his season Bedoya had with Nantes. Shocked he was included in this squad over Donovan (because the excuse that LD is a forward is simply nonsense).

I don't see the slowness with Beckerman. He's no slower than Jones. He's more disciplined. Much better at holding his position in front of defense and not allowing those wide gulfs of space that Jones does when he fashions himself an offensive genius. In qualifying, US had much more a steady pace about it when Bradley was able to probe with Beckerman staying anchored. In the end, it doesn't matter unless Jones gets injured.
  Agree. Not sure what Klinsy will do, but for me it would be Bedoya especially against Ghana, where we absolutely need the win and will hopefully score first.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #787 on: June 07, 2014, 04:46:51 PM »
Interesting choice going with Jones and Beckerman against Nigeria. Assume a 4-2-3-1 with Bradley the tip of the tree supporting the attack from his advanced position.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #788 on: June 07, 2014, 05:11:56 PM »
Interesting choice going with Jones and Beckerman against Nigeria. Assume a 4-2-3-1 with Bradley the tip of the tree supporting the attack from his advanced position.

Yea. Almost looks a 4-3-2-1 when on D. I'm thinking with todays lineup, Dempsey will pinch and Fabian will overlap

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #789 on: June 09, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »
I prefer Beckerman over Jones but did not think the former was all that good. Then I read various reports and grades after and it seems most thought he was just fine in his play.

Johnson had a difficult game I thought. His ball to Jozy on the first was sublime but he seemed to get caught out too often and at times Moses was just more physical in their battles.

Beasley did well. Perhaps JK really does see him over Chandler. Pick your poison with a converted mid to the back or a wrong sided foot at the position. Neither will be without concern.

Considering Ghana relies quite a bit on force the new Christmas tree could fit nicely on the Germanican catenaccio-lite we have going at the moment.

jesmu84

• All American

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #791 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51:55 AM »
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #792 on: June 09, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
http://www.soccerbyives.net/2014/06/klinsmanns-personnel-experiment.html

Interesting quotes to read. We know that Bradley can fuel Dempsey and Jozy. If Beckerman and Jones can play together without crossing swords with Bedoya providing support and breakout ability you have 3/4 of your field in good form. Besler does seem more at ease with Beasley to his left so going into the 16th this squad could be positioned quite well.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #793 on: June 09, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
Interesting quotes to read. We know that Bradley can fuel Dempsey and Jozy. If Beckerman and Jones can play together without crossing swords with Bedoya providing support and breakout ability you have 3/4 of your field in good form. Besler does seem more at ease with Beasley to his left so going into the 16th this squad could be positioned quite well.

Yea. I really liked that article. Good insight from the guys on the field.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #794 on: June 11, 2014, 09:19:45 AM »
Anybody watch Portugal-Ireland last night from Jersey? Looked to me like Ronaldo was easing into most of the action and nowhere close to 100%. Curious to see if he holds back a bit against Germany for the more "winnable" games against US and Ghana.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #795 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »
Anyone know of a cheap website to get a US jersey? I'm trying to get an away Bradley and the cheapest I'm seeing is $112.00. I'm hoping that there is something a little cheaper out there. Thanks.
Bring back FFP!!!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #796 on: June 13, 2014, 09:14:44 AM »
Lot of talk in December and January but nothing now that the Cup has started.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #797 on: June 13, 2014, 11:20:42 AM »
Croatia's goalie sucks. Dude coulda saved every one of those goals yesterday
Bring back FFP!!!

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #798 on: June 13, 2014, 02:40:19 PM »
Croatia's goalie sucks. Dude coulda saved every one of those goals yesterday

Ref would have just given them more opportunities even if he saved them all.

Missed the Mexico game. Disappointed they won.

Spain/Dutch isn't too impressive so far.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #799 on: June 13, 2014, 02:46:47 PM »
Spain/Dutch isn't too impressive so far.

van Persie sure changed that.

feedback