[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802420 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #750 on: May 23, 2014, 04:37:31 PM »
Bradley and Deuce need to figure out how to play better together.   They always seem to be out of sync from my untrained eye.   Bradley and Donovan had that knack to play together,  but just don't see that same connection with Clint and Bradley.   As our two most skilled players,  they HAVE to be able to figure this out if they want to get out of the group.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #751 on: May 23, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »
The thing I don't understand, is if Klins was so against LD, especially after the sabbatical/Cambodia trip, why bring him in to lead your Gold Cup squad and praise him around that time?

If LD wasn't going to be on this WC roster, it should have been made known once the sabbatical took place, not now.

I think its more than JK wasn't as enamored with LD as everyone else was.  And he wasn't a shoe-in for a WC spot like everyone thought.  Still he was good enough to give a run.  So he brought him in for the Gold Cup, as opposed to the WC qualifiers, and rightfully praised him for his play.  This time around, LD wasn't playing great at the club level and was out of shape.  In the past he probably would have made the squad based on legacy, but not with JK and the past they had.  I see it more as LD was fine as long as he was playing well, but when he started to fall off a bit, he wasn't getting any favors.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #752 on: May 27, 2014, 08:50:02 AM »
I think its more than JK wasn't as enamored with LD as everyone else was.  And he wasn't a shoe-in for a WC spot like everyone thought.  Still he was good enough to give a run.  So he brought him in for the Gold Cup, as opposed to the WC qualifiers, and rightfully praised him for his play.  This time around, LD wasn't playing great at the club level and was out of shape.  In the past he probably would have made the squad based on legacy, but not with JK and the past they had.  I see it more as LD was fine as long as he was playing well, but when he started to fall off a bit, he wasn't getting any favors.

This is a good perspective.

Because Klinsmann has accomplished nearly everything possible in his career he's not prone to the PR decision of having Donovan in the squad. He's simply looking at what can help him at this moment. With their history in Munich, the "sabbatical", and Donovan's increasingly blasé attitude towards soccer as a profession you can see why Klinsmann decided against him.

Though I never expected Donovan to play a major part in Brasil it still is a surprise he couldn't sneak into a 23 man roster.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #753 on: May 27, 2014, 09:26:49 AM »
Landon had a good pretty good weekend, wouldn't you say?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #754 on: May 27, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »
Landon had a good pretty good weekend, wouldn't you say?

He had a good game against a bad team who has given up the most goals in the MLS this year.  Its like a good player in the NBA being left off the All-Star team and then dropping 30 on the Bucks.

But congrats to LD on the record, he claimed it from some pretty elite company

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #755 on: May 27, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »
He had a good game against a bad team who has given up the most goals in the MLS this year.  Its like a good player in the NBA being left off the All-Star team and then dropping 30 on the Bucks.

But congrats to LD on the record, he claimed it from some pretty elite company

It is strange how that was turned into a "told you so" moment by the media. A World Cup cycle takes many, many months. The evidence for Klinsmann's decision was laid out and it's simply ironic timing that Donovan had a very good match on the weekend. Of course, Donovan could do crap all the next three weeks but I imagine the narrative that he "showed" Klinsmann will remain strong amongst the unwashed masses.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #756 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59:09 PM »
I'm not sure how you can describe that as a meltdown.  Significant tactical and personnel changes took place at half that changed the character of that game.  Yes the defense was exposed some, but the backline has always been questionable.

That's part of the reason I'm surprised Jurgen is going to a 3-5-2, I get it tactically going forward(though I'm not sure if Jozy fits in that kind of formation) but defensively I think it incurs far too many opportunities to miscommunicate in the back.
  Where was that 3-5-2 yesterday?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #757 on: May 28, 2014, 02:05:16 PM »

I think Dempsey being out had something to do with going with the diamond in the middle like they did as opposed to the 3-5-2.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #758 on: May 28, 2014, 02:08:13 PM »

No Dempsey in chaotic conditions against a team squatting 10 behind the ball...why would there be?  Klinnsy ran a 4-4-2 with a diamond mid-field.  With Fabian Johnson playing right back that essentially allowed them to a 3-5-2 lite.  They didn't need the midfield possetion of a 3-5-2 against that opponent.  Expect more 3-5-2 against Turkey June 1
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #759 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
Yeah, they were bunkered in weren't they?  We'll see on the first.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #760 on: May 28, 2014, 06:32:50 PM »
It was basically a 3-5-2 while attacking. Jones, Cameron, Besler were playing a back 3 while attacking as Johnson and Beasley pushed way up the field and Zusi/Bedoya cut inside.

Also, Yedlin drilled a guy: https://vine.co/v/MdhrOpTi51v

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #761 on: June 02, 2014, 08:49:56 AM »
Yeah, they were bunkered in weren't they?  We'll see on the first.

And your thoughts on Turkey?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #762 on: June 02, 2014, 12:56:35 PM »

Before anyone says they were in a 4-4-2, once again, Fabian Johnson was essentially playing as a right midfielder, especially in the attacking half.  I thought it was strong game from the US, but they really do need to clean-up the communication in the defense, I actually put a lot of this on Howard/Guzan....they should be controlling the back line better.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #763 on: June 02, 2014, 01:53:57 PM »
Was only able to watch the last 30 minutes so missed the most impressive part of the game for the US.  After catching some replays, the first US goal was a beauty and the pass from Bradley shows just how important he is to this team.  From what I saw of the second half, the defense needs to be cleaned up.  Also seemed to be several chances we missed on and to me it looked like we were playing tentatively there.  Has Altidore rejected aggressive attacking play in favor of always holding the ball up front?  There's a time for everything and his drought continues.  good win though.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #764 on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:08 PM »
defense is a big question mark as we won't able to make mistakes like we did in our group.
Altidore is an enigma as he passed up several shooting opportunities to pass off.  Can't score if you don't even try. Don't know what is going on in his head. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #765 on: June 04, 2014, 09:31:18 AM »
Was only able to watch the last 30 minutes so missed the most impressive part of the game for the US.  After catching some replays, the first US goal was a beauty and the pass from Bradley shows just how important he is to this team.  From what I saw of the second half, the defense needs to be cleaned up.  Also seemed to be several chances we missed on and to me it looked like we were playing tentatively there.  Has Altidore rejected aggressive attacking play in favor of always holding the ball up front?  There's a time for everything and his drought continues.  good win though.

The back four will be an easy excuse since JK has done the rare ignore a surefire starter for most of qualifying only to have him penciled in for Cup opener routine with Chandler.

As for Jozy, I thought he did some real good things against Turkey. Perhaps some of his "troubles" come from knowing there is no one else for his role. Then again, there's never been anyone in his exact role pushing him and last year he did score in five straight matches so it's clear we can forget when he does well only to believe he's a waste in the grand plan.

Wonderful to see Mix finding his niche off the bench. Still think Johannsson is the most talented forward we have in front of the net, regardless of his youth. And hope JK isn't truly considering Davis over Bedoya.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #766 on: June 04, 2014, 09:35:30 AM »
Was the foul on Jozy that took away his early goal justified?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #767 on: June 04, 2014, 09:53:47 AM »

Very marginal foul. Probably shouldn't have been given.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #768 on: June 04, 2014, 10:48:03 AM »

Yes. always going to be called when the keeper is involved

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #769 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »
The back four will be an easy excuse since JK has done the rare ignore a surefire starter for most of qualifying only to have him penciled in for Cup opener routine with Chandler.

As for Jozy, I thought he did some real good things against Turkey. Perhaps some of his "troubles" come from knowing there is no one else for his role. Then again, there's never been anyone in his exact role pushing him and last year he did score in five straight matches so it's clear we can forget when he does well only to believe he's a waste in the grand plan.

Wonderful to see Mix finding his niche off the bench. Still think Johannsson is the most talented forward we have in front of the net, regardless of his youth. And hope JK isn't truly considering Davis over Bedoya.

You think Chandler's inclusion/exclusion was based on JK and not on Chandler being indecisive?

Jozy played well.

I hate Mix playing on the outside. He should be playing in the middle, but I can't think of a way to get Bradley and Mix on the field at the same time without them running into each other.

Agree on Johannsson. If Dempsey proves lazy or ineffective, I think Aron should be on the field after Ghana.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #770 on: June 05, 2014, 11:07:41 AM »
You think Chandler's inclusion/exclusion was based on JK and not on Chandler being indecisive?

Jozy played well.

I hate Mix playing on the outside. He should be playing in the middle, but I can't think of a way to get Bradley and Mix on the field at the same time without them running into each other.

Agree on Johannsson. If Dempsey proves lazy or ineffective, I think Aron should be on the field after Ghana.

Chandler was clearly indecisive early on when deciding to accept a call-up to the US team but once decided and committed to qualifying I think JK knew he had a professional in hand and played around at that position to see if there was a viable alternative.

The Germans always seemed to be the wing back choices and with Gonzo's injury it now allows JK to put Cameron in his natural position. I think the "they don't know each other" media trope is lazy and US hopes hinge more on whether Dempsey is engaged with AJ and/or Mix providing some credibility off the bench.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #771 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:47 PM »

Jozy played well.

Play 4-3-3 with width provided by wing forwards. Then Bradley is the central midfielder and Diskerud is not obligated to stay outside sending crosses in but is not so pinched in that he runs into Bradley.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #772 on: June 05, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
BTW, anyone still expecting us to play 3-5-2?  I don't see that happening unless it's desperation time.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #773 on: June 05, 2014, 12:42:43 PM »
BTW, anyone still expecting us to play 3-5-2?  I don't see that happening unless it's desperation time.

From an official pregame announcement?  No.  But effectively they will be playing a 3-5-2 any time Fabian is playing one of the backs

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #774 on: June 05, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »
  Play 4-3-3 with width provided by wing forwards. Then Bradley is the central midfielder and Diskerud is not obligated to stay outside sending crosses in but is not so pinched in that he runs into Bradley.

Who are the 3 mids and 3 forwards in your mind here?