[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802616 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #725 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
I'm not sure if it's been discussed or not, but ESPN is doing a "Hard Knocks" "24/7" type of thing with the US squad. It premiered on Tuesday night and it's pretty cool. I'm late to this conversation but damn am I excited for the Cup to begin. I'm confident we'll get out of our group. Beat Ghana, beat Portugal, tie Germany. Yup, I said it.
  After the Mexico meltdown, I'm quite a but less optimistic than you.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #726 on: May 15, 2014, 11:13:11 AM »

Hard to read a ton into that result. In the first half they looked like they'd play anyone off the park.

The first episode of that series was very interesting. I particularly enjoyed the footage of their preparation, and hearing Jurgen and his staff discuss their tactics.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #727 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »

I'm not sure how you can describe that as a meltdown.  Significant tactical and personnel changes took place at half that changed the character of that game.  Yes the defense was exposed some, but the backline has always been questionable.

That's part of the reason I'm surprised Jurgen is going to a 3-5-2, I get it tactically going forward(though I'm not sure if Jozy fits in that kind of formation) but defensively I think it incurs far too many opportunities to miscommunicate in the back.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #728 on: May 15, 2014, 12:42:05 PM »
That's part of the reason I'm surprised Jurgen is going to a 3-5-2, I get it tactically going forward(though I'm not sure if Jozy fits in that kind of formation) but defensively I think it incurs far too many opportunities to miscommunicate in the back.

Agreed. They've had a hard enough time finding two center backs that are effective together, let alone three.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #729 on: May 22, 2014, 04:42:15 PM »
Bombshell

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #730 on: May 22, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »
I'm not sure how you can describe that as a meltdown.  Significant tactical and personnel changes took place at half that changed the character of that game.  Yes the defense was exposed some, but the backline has always been questionable.

Really?  The defense looked and played disorganized and confused.  Blowing a 2-0 lead qualifies as a meltdown IMO, esp. against a rival like the Tri.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #731 on: May 22, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
Bombshell

Well, Donovan probably shouldn't have taken a break during the early stages of the Klinnsman regime. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #732 on: May 22, 2014, 04:56:35 PM »
Does it really matter who does and does not make the roster? The USA won't be making any noise regardless, per usual.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #733 on: May 22, 2014, 04:57:47 PM »

Well, Donovan probably shouldn't have taken a break during the early stages of the Klinnsman regime. 

Eh... I'm not so sure that's it. Donovan carried the Gold Cup squad and did a fair amount of work in qualifying. My guess? 2014 LD is not 2011-2013 LD. Still. I would think a #23 LD is a greater team benefit than a #23 Davis.

10 years ago, 5 years ago, 1 year ago, 1 month ago... at which point would everyone be surprised if i would have told you then that Beasley would get 4 WC appearances instead of LD?

Seems like Klinsy is taking youth and building toward 2018. At the expense of 2014? Maybe.

Serious question.. was Julian Green's 1 time switch to USA predicated on him being guaranteed a spot in Brazil. And, if so, was LD's spot cut for Green? Interesting scenarios....

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #734 on: May 22, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
Yeah, that makes more sense.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #735 on: May 22, 2014, 05:19:57 PM »
Does it really matter who does and does not make the roster? The USA won't be making any noise regardless, per usual.

How do you define this? I'm interested to know what you're basing this statement on when you consider the state of US soccer compared to the world as well as compared to the rest of our domestic sports.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #736 on: May 23, 2014, 12:53:42 AM »
US is in a tough, tough group.I dont disagree with JK bringing the youth movement to get them exposed. Super anxious and ready for it to begin, especially after watching that 30 for 30 "The two Escobars" Viva Colombia. Unidos por un pais.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #737 on: May 23, 2014, 08:20:44 AM »
I don't know how I feel about the Donovan decision.  I get that his fitness and overall preparedness aren't what they once were but from a talent level he's still there and can bring it when he needs to.  Without Donovan, USMNT has 5 out of 23 players with WC experience, that's not good.  There is going to be a game where we are going to need a sub to step out and perform, with Donovan you get that, I don't know about the other guys.  I do think this opens up some formational flexibility

Interesting twist to this story that I totally forgot about, JK demanded Donovan be brought in on loan to Bayern Munich when JK was on the hot seat.  Ownership acquiesced, Donovan did not perform and shortly thereafter he and JK were out at Bayern.  I wonder if there is a trust issue there with JK.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #738 on: May 23, 2014, 08:51:01 AM »
I don't know how I feel about the Donovan decision.  I get that his fitness and overall preparedness aren't what they once were but from a talent level he's still there and can bring it when he needs to.  Without Donovan, USMNT has 5 out of 23 players with WC experience, that's not good.  There is going to be a game where we are going to need a sub to step out and perform, with Donovan you get that, I don't know about the other guys.  I do think this opens up some formational flexibility

Interesting twist to this story that I totally forgot about, JK demanded Donovan be brought in on loan to Bayern Munich when JK was on the hot seat.  Ownership acquiesced, Donovan did not perform and shortly thereafter he and JK were out at Bayern.  I wonder if there is a trust issue there with JK.

THis was running around twitter yesterday. Allegedly some agent (not sure if LD's) said this played largely into the decision.

The thing I don't understand, is if Klins was so against LD, especially after the sabbatical/Cambodia trip, why bring him in to lead your Gold Cup squad and praise him around that time?

If LD wasn't going to be on this WC roster, it should have been made known once the sabbatical took place, not now.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #739 on: May 23, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »
Looks like he's really using 2014 to get ready for 2018.  This year's squad is very inexperienced.  And no Donovan, Goodson, Parkhurst, Evans.  Green with 1 cap and 42 minutes with the MNT?  Does not sound like an objectively selected squad.  Good luck.  Hope you surprise me.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #740 on: May 23, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »
Looks like he's really using 2014 to get ready for 2018.  This year's squad is very inexperienced.  And no Donovan, Goodson, Parkhurst, Evans.  Green with 1 cap and 42 minutes with the MNT?  Does not sound like an objectively selected squad.  Good luck.  Hope you surprise me.

Actually I disagree.  If you look at the roster within the context of a 3-5-2 alignment, it makes all the sense in the world.  I do think he has a youth movement to help prepare for 2018 but I think he is envisioning a very attacking style and has the pieces to employ that....whether it's a good idea or not is another discussion.

Goodson is the biggest snub in my opinion, would have left Brooks off for him...but I really can't quibble too much.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #741 on: May 23, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
Actually I disagree.  If you look at the roster within the context of a 3-5-2 alignment, it makes all the sense in the world.  I do think he has a youth movement to help prepare for 2018 but I think he is envisioning a very attacking style and has the pieces to employ that....whether it's a good idea or not is another discussion.

Goodson is the biggest snub in my opinion, would have left Brooks off for him...but I really can't quibble too much.

What's your 3-5-2 lineup look like?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #742 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:15 AM »
I know I'm biased because Parkhurst started out with our club, but he can play all 3 positions on the back line and I would have taken him for his experience and versatility.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #743 on: May 23, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »

I'll take stab, and this is just my preference. It would play more like a 3-1-4-2. Jozy up top, Dempsey playing behind him. Bradley and Jones in the central midfield. Beckermann as a defensive mid behind them. Johnson and Chandler as wing backs. Back three of Cameron, Besler, and Gonzalez.

I like Beckermann's tactical discipline much more than Jones in that holding/DM role. It gives cover to the back three, and would allow Bradley to get forward more, and link with the front two. Johnson and Chandler's pace on the flanks could cause problems, but is also risky. They both love to get forward, but I'm not sold on how well they'll track back.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #744 on: May 23, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »

Across the back is toughest for me and obviously things change based on the opponent but my base 3-5-2 looks like this:
                                                      Jozy

Dempsey

Bradley
Fabian Johnson                                                                       Zusi

Beckerman                Jones

Beasley                  Besler                Cameron

Howard

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #745 on: May 23, 2014, 12:40:25 PM »
I'll take stab, and this is just my preference. It would play more like a 3-1-4-2. Jozy up top, Dempsey playing behind him. Bradley and Jones in the central midfield. Beckermann as a defensive mid behind them. Johnson and Chandler as wing backs. Back three of Cameron, Besler, and Gonzalez.

I like Beckermann's tactical discipline much more than Jones in that holding/DM role. It gives cover to the back three, and would allow Bradley to get forward more, and link with the front two. Johnson and Chandler's pace on the flanks could cause problems, but is also risky. They both love to get forward, but I'm not sold on how well they'll track back.

For defensive purposes, especially against Ghana and Portugal's speed/athleticism, I don't think you can play both Beckerman (though I love the guy) and Gonzo on the back end.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #746 on: May 23, 2014, 12:43:43 PM »
Across the back is toughest for me and obviously things change based on the opponent but my base 3-5-2 looks like this:

I, personally, think Beasley is too much of a wing to play across the back with only 3. I'm not sure that Chandler or Johnson can play there either.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #747 on: May 23, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
I, personally, think Beasley is too much of a wing to play across the back with only 3. I'm not sure that Chandler or Johnson can play there either.

That's the box Klinsmann has built for himself.  He is going for attacking and there is going to have to be a less than ideal back on the left side.  That's partially why I'm giving Beckerman the start, he can track back and cover the left side if both Beasley and Johnson go forward plus between Johnson and Beasley the two of them should be able track down some guys.

The big unknown is Yedlin...he's got real promise as a very solid defender who can get forward if required....but he is so bloody inexperienced I don't know that you can risk it.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #748 on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:59 PM »
How do you define this? I'm interested to know what you're basing this statement on when you consider the state of US soccer compared to the world as well as compared to the rest of our domestic sports.

He bases it on nothing.  Read the rest of his posts in this thread.  Not worth your time to try and argue or understand.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #749 on: May 23, 2014, 01:43:31 PM »
For defensive purposes, especially against Ghana and Portugal's speed/athleticism, I don't think you can play both Beckerman (though I love the guy) and Gonzo on the back end.

You could be right. I'm trying to figure out what a back four might look like, and keep ending up with Beasley at LB. And the thought of that is terrifying. I don't trust Johnson to take on the defensive responsibilities.