[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802451 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #700 on: May 05, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »
HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/05/02/arsenals-zelalem-nearing-u-s-eligibility/

Project Klinsy2018 is a full go. Quick question - Who's a better recruiter: Klinsy or Calipari?

Also, we could have a 2018 front six of: Zelalem, Julian Green, Aron Johannson, Jozy Alitdore, Darlington Nagbe, Michael Bradley. Would easily be the best in USMNT history.

The optimism is encouraging but as an Arsenal fan for nearly 15 years I've seen a lot of "prized" talents in the academy rot away with lack of first team appearances (or failing once in the first team). That, or they wait too long trying to get in at Arsenal they leave late and their career never takes off (e.g. Fran Merida).

I've watched a few youth matches and Gedion does remind of Cesc but so much has to happen, in his control and out of his control, for him to even be a remote possibility. Remember two years ago when Chandler was the first dual national the US recruited? Now he may not even make the 30 man provisional roster which goes to show you can't project four months into the future much less four years. It's a long, long, long road.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #701 on: May 05, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
Remember two years ago when Chandler was the first dual national the US recruited? Now he may not even make the 30 man provisional roster which goes to show you can't project four months into the future much less four years. It's a long, long, long road.

I don't disagree with you, especially since Zelalem and Green are both so young, but I would differ on 2 key points, especially when comparing to Chandler. 

1) Timothy Chandler was never looked at by the German national team.  Even Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson, though neither would have made final squads, got looks at the U21 level and such.  Chandler is a decent player, but the US was his only chance for international football.  Zelalem and Green definitely were looked at with promise by Low and crew.

2) Unlike the aforementioned Germans, Zelalem lived in the US for alot of formative years, makes him less of a soccer mercenary, and it bodes well for his development in the US program, if this indeed goes through.

But your concerns about his Arsenal development are valid.  Lets hope he gets out on loan.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #702 on: May 05, 2014, 11:23:06 AM »
I don't disagree with you, especially since Zelalem and Green are both so young, but I would differ on 2 key points, especially when comparing to Chandler. 

1) Timothy Chandler was never looked at by the German national team.  Even Jermaine Jones and Fabian Johnson, though neither would have made final squads, got looks at the U21 level and such.  Chandler is a decent player, but the US was his only chance for international football.  Zelalem and Green definitely were looked at with promise by Low and crew.

2) Unlike the aforementioned Germans, Zelalem lived in the US for alot of formative years, makes him less of a soccer mercenary, and it bodes well for his development in the US program, if this indeed goes through.

But your concerns about his Arsenal development are valid.  Lets hope he gets out on loan.

It is true Chandler was never a legit option for the Germans though I do think he represented them on the youth level at some point. I agree that the US was his only bet and he held on as long as he could with the prayer of being involved with Germany. That said, I provided some confusion as I didn't intend to equate the talent of Chandler to Green, Zelalem, etc. It was more a point of how inflated the expectations get surrounding players of this variety and how counting on them for an entire next World Cup cycle is unwise as they may not even be a possibility next year.

If Gedion does represent the US his four or five years here allows for him to truly be that "breakthrough" player the soccer world has been looking for in these past two decades. But, again, so much will have to happen and as we've seen with Jack Wilshere, who is bizarrely now seen as a ho-hum player who hasn't progressed well, oftentimes the inflated expectations lead to equally ludicrous inflated criticism.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #703 on: May 05, 2014, 03:31:32 PM »
Re: Arsenal Development...

Klinns has been VERY hands-on with the guys he wants/needs getting development/playing time. Why do you think Dempsey/Bradley came back the MLS? I think he greases a lot of wheels for transfers or loans. He's also very adamant about guys getting playing time and I think they take it to heart.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #704 on: May 05, 2014, 04:15:09 PM »
Alright guys here are my WC predictions. I wanted to wait to take injuries into account. Just a little note, im basing my Colombia predictions based on the fact that Falcao will play. Many reports are saying he is way ahead of schedule.

Group A: Brazil: Home turf, great team weak group. Not much doubt here.
             Mexico: Got lucky with the draw think they can turn it around.

Group B: Spain: Defending champs, could run into some problem with the Dutch and Chile but believe they pull it out.
             Chile: In the big shocker of the opening round Chile takes advantage of the cup being in South America and take out the Dutch .

Group C: Colombia: A ton of talent up front and Ospina is an underrated keeper. Big question mark is their back 4.
             Ivory Coast: Finally the year they put it all together with Yaya Toure leading the charge this time around.

Group D: Uruguay: Started putting it together at the end of qualifying, being in Brazil helps them
             England: Finally have a keeper they can trust, amoung the better ones in the world.

Group E: France: Beat out the rest of a terribly weak group, this group seems to be the most wide open.
            Switzerland: Again, tough call here but think they have just enough talent to get though.

Group F: Argentina: Argentina absolutely rolls through this incredibly weak group. Kind of a joke really.
            Nigeria: By default they beat out very weak Bosnia and Iran teams to advance.

Group G: Germany: Most talented team in the tourney, tough group but should win off their talent alone.
             USA: Lose to the Germans tie with Ghana but surprise Portugal. Manage to scrape their way through.

Group H: Belgium: Another really talented team. Dont get a lot of the respect they deserve.
             South Korea: Always a solid team that surprises people. No surprise this year as they are probably the 2nd most talented team in the group

Knock out Stage:
R16

Brazil vs. Chile: Chiles run ends with running into the gauntlet that is Brazil. Brazil still not really tested so far
Colombia vs. England: Colombia takes it with their talent up front. Does enough to beat the three lions.
Spain vs. Mexico: Spain rolls as they take out Mexico.
Uruguay vs. Ivory Coast: Ivory Coast continues their magical run in Drogbas last world cup. He finally has the pieces around him.
France vs. Nigeria: France continues with their luck of the draw beating Nigeria.
Germany vs. South Korea: Germany too much for the South Korean squad.
Argentia vs. Switzerland: Messi too much for the Swiss defense to handle
Belgium vs. US: US again bows out in the first round of the knockout stage to a talented Belgium team.

R8
Brazil vs. Colombia: Brazil too much for the fiesty Colombians to handle.
France vs. Germany: France finally runs into some competition and falls to Germany.
Argentina vs. Belgium: Argentia falls to Hazard and Belgium.
Ivory Coast vs. Spain: Ivory Coast finally goes down as the last African team in the world cup.

R4:
Brazil vs. Germany: Germany beats the host nation.
Belgium vs. Spain: Belgium beats the defending champs

Final:
Germany vs. Belgium: In the battle of Europe the talented Germans triumph.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #705 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:11 AM »
Re: Arsenal Development...

Klinns has been VERY hands-on with the guys he wants/needs getting development/playing time. Why do you think Dempsey/Bradley came back the MLS? I think he greases a lot of wheels for transfers or loans. He's also very adamant about guys getting playing time and I think they take it to heart.

Fair that JK likes to be involved with his players but we're talking different levels here with Dempsey/Bradley and Zelalem. Dempsey took a golden parachute to the MLS. Still disappointed in Bradley for giving up the way he did at the end in Rome but money talks no matter your profession.

I can't imagine you think Gedion is to join MLS. Right? He's at a club that puts a premium on youth talent playing in the senior squad. I'm not sure what JK could do that AW isn't already planning to do in terms of Zelalem's development. As much as AW has talked positively about JK in the past I doubt a man of his stature is going to place Gedion where JK wants him to be placed. Zelalem has intermittent appearances written all over him the next two seasons.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #706 on: May 06, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »
Fair that JK likes to be involved with his players but we're talking different levels here with Dempsey/Bradley and Zelalem. Dempsey took a golden parachute to the MLS. Still disappointed in Bradley for giving up the way he did at the end in Rome but money talks no matter your profession.

I can't imagine you think Gedion is to join MLS. Right? He's at a club that puts a premium on youth talent playing in the senior squad. I'm not sure what JK could do that AW isn't already planning to do in terms of Zelalem's development. As much as AW has talked positively about JK in the past I doubt a man of his stature is going to place Gedion where JK wants him to be placed. Zelalem has intermittent appearances written all over him the next two seasons.

And to be fair, I was going to comment about how hands on JK is, but then I thought about the fact that, in spite of greater playing time, JK was not pleased to see Dempsey and Bradley come back to the MLS, he wanted them playing against top talent in Europe still.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #707 on: May 06, 2014, 12:29:32 PM »
Someone was wearing the US jersey for this years World Cup and it looks even worse in person. Glad I splurged on my Colombia jersey, totally worth it.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #708 on: May 06, 2014, 02:09:13 PM »
Two general questions, as NYWarrior and I were discussing the USMNT and the World Cup.

1. Do you think USMNT advances out of the group stage?
2. How many points do you think they earn?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #709 on: May 06, 2014, 02:13:26 PM »
Two general questions, as NYWarrior and I were discussing the USMNT and the World Cup.

Yes with 4. Beat Portugal and tie with Ghana. Portugal beats Ghana but lost to the Germans to only take 3 points.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #710 on: May 06, 2014, 02:16:51 PM »
Yes with 4. Beat Portugal and tie with Ghana. Portugal beats Ghana but lost to the Germans to only take 3 points.

So Ghana loses to Germany and the US wins the tie-breaker?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #711 on: May 06, 2014, 02:22:29 PM »

So Ghana loses to Germany and the US wins the tie-breaker?

Ghanas only point comes against the US. No tiebreaker necessary in this scenario.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #712 on: May 06, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
Ghanas only point comes against the US. No tiebreaker necessary in this scenario.

Yeah I read it wrong.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #713 on: May 06, 2014, 02:43:27 PM »
The USMNT v Ghana is a great first-round match-up ... a winnable game for the US, no doubt about it though the Ghanaians are at least as talented if not more so.

And after four years of purgatory, Gyan will have a shot at redemption in this tournament ... he's scoring a ton on the Arabian peninsula, but he'd likely give those back for better fortune on this PK in 2010 (great theater in the best game of that tourney)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDK-HEbIZs
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 02:46:54 PM by NYWarrior »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #714 on: May 06, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »
The USMNT v Ghana is a great first-round match-up ... a winnable game for the US, no doubt about it though the Ghanaians are at least as talented if not more so.

And after four years of purgatory, Gyan will have a shot at redemption in this tournament ... he's scoring a ton on the Arabian peninsula, but he'd likely give those back for better fortune on this PK in 2010 (great theater in the best game of that tourney)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBDK-HEbIZs

Shouldnt have even been a penalty in the first place. That was the biggest piece of cheating since Maradona. I would like them to change that rule in the future, if someone handballs it when the ball will go in, it should be counted as a goal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #715 on: May 06, 2014, 03:01:22 PM »
Shouldnt have even been a penalty in the first place. That was the biggest piece of cheating since Maradona. I would like them to change that rule in the future, if someone handballs it when the ball will go in, it should be counted as a goal.

That miss was karma for Ghana after the absolute shameful display they put on in the second half against the US.  There is time wasting, and then there is diving, not to draw a penalty, but to give an excuse to go to ground and remain there for a few minutes. People who complain about Italians or Spaniards diving have never watched the African countries in world competition.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #716 on: May 06, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »
That miss was karma for Ghana after the absolute shameful display they put on in the second half against the US.  There is time wasting, and then there is diving, not to draw a penalty, but to give an excuse to go to ground and remain there for a few minutes. People who complain about Italians or Spaniards diving have never watched the African countries in world competition.

Meh, depends. I follow the Ivory Coast really closely and they dont play that way.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #717 on: May 07, 2014, 08:55:49 AM »

I wrote this on December 6th and still believe it to be true:

Germany on 9
US on 4
Portugal on 2
Ghana on 1

July 1st against Belgium.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #718 on: May 12, 2014, 05:15:40 PM »
Prelim roster.....http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/05/12/13/23/140512-mnt-prelim-roster

I suppose no Johnson is only real surprise. Curious if all the German-Americans make it. Also curious to see how Boyd does in camp since he ended the season extremely well.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #719 on: May 13, 2014, 09:58:03 AM »
Prelim roster.....http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/05/12/13/23/140512-mnt-prelim-roster

I suppose no Johnson is only real surprise. Curious if all the German-Americans make it. Also curious to see how Boyd does in camp since he ended the season extremely well.

Im surprised Chandler ended up on there, and Deandre Yedlin isn't a name that was tossed around, even as a possibility, which is a surprise to me as well.

Johnson has just been awful for DC United as of late, so this isn't a complete shock

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #720 on: May 13, 2014, 10:32:39 AM »
Im surprised Chandler ended up on there, and Deandre Yedlin isn't a name that was tossed around, even as a possibility, which is a surprise to me as well.

Johnson has just been awful for DC United as of late, so this isn't a complete shock

Not making the final roster wouldn't be a surprise given his form but I do think EJ not even making the 30 man is a bit surprising.

I've looked at the list a few times and four names are clearly going to be cut (Yedlin, Corona, Davis, Wondo). The last three I've no clue who stays home.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #721 on: May 13, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »

I think the US gets through with 6, only losing to Germany
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #722 on: May 13, 2014, 11:14:22 AM »
Hoping for my homie, Parkhurst, to make the squad.  Defense is pretty unsettled right now.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #723 on: May 15, 2014, 09:48:03 AM »

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #724 on: May 15, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »
I'm not sure if it's been discussed or not, but ESPN is doing a "Hard Knocks" "24/7" type of thing with the US squad. It premiered on Tuesday night and it's pretty cool. I'm late to this conversation but damn am I excited for the Cup to begin. I'm confident we'll get out of our group. Beat Ghana, beat Portugal, tie Germany. Yup, I said it.
Bring back FFP!!!

feedback