collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802073 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #600 on: October 15, 2013, 08:54:44 PM »
USA down 1-0. Just let panama win and get out with no injuries. Then pray Costa Rica can pull out a huge victory and shut out Mexico from the WC

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #601 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:36 PM »
Can someone explain how the top 8 seeds are decided and if Colombia has a chance to be one of those teams?

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #602 on: October 15, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »
wow!!! USA saves Mexico.  What an unreal night of soccer.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #603 on: October 15, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
i can't... i don't even... unbelievable. Bob Ley with the tweet of the night:

"You will live 100 years and never see the past 45 minutes replicated across three games as tonight. Oh by the way, the USA were amazing."

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #604 on: October 15, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
Was it televised? where?

Thanks.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #605 on: October 15, 2013, 10:32:10 PM »
Chicharito really blew a couple of clear chances in this game for Mexico.  He must feel like he just won the lottery.  He would have really heard it from the Mexican media.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #606 on: October 15, 2013, 10:38:32 PM »
Was it televised? where?

Thanks.

The USA game? It was on beIN sport. They bought the rights to all USA away games.

Tortuga94

• Walk-On
« Reply #607 on: October 15, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »
I don't know if the US game was televised, I couldn't find it.  I watched the Mexico vs Costa Rica game.

I am a Mexico soccer fan, but do also like the US too.  I was born in the states to Mexican parents and when I was a kid US soccer was a joke.
So I grew up liking Mexican soccer on the international stage, so that is why they are my team, but I do also root for the US.

I like this US team alot, Klinsman is a good coach.  His team plays with no fear and I really like the way the play.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #608 on: October 15, 2013, 11:49:12 PM »
I'm legally changing my name to Aron Zusi. At least...that's what I want on my passport. I'll never pay for another drink on vacations to Mexico as long as I live.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »
Can someone explain how the top 8 seeds are decided and if Colombia has a chance to be one of those teams?

It's based on FIFA rankings.  And it looks like Colombia is one of those teams:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/world-cup-2014-seedings-england-2458076

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2013, 08:46:59 AM »
I must admit, there was more than a little part of me that wanted the US to lose that game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #611 on: October 16, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »
I must admit, there was more than a little part of me that wanted the US to lose that game.

Yup. Especially when both games were at 2-1. It was honestly a bizarre experience watching that all play out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #612 on: October 16, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »

But also nice to know that the US basically shamed Mexico into their World Cup qualification. That sting will linger for some time down there.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #613 on: October 16, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »
But also nice to know that the US basically shamed Mexico into their World Cup qualification. That sting will linger for some time down there.

In this Deadspin piece, you can hear the Mexican announcers go nuts as the US scores.  And in the comments below you can get an interpretation...and to say the least, it is brutal.

http://deadspin.com/the-usmnt-saves-mexico-and-mexico-is-eternally-gratefu-1446262947

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #614 on: October 16, 2013, 12:53:17 PM »
I wanted Mexico to get knocked out, but considering the outrage, it's all worth it to have them advance ONLY because we gifted it to them. If you haven't seen it, here's the interpretation. Hilarious.

"GOOOOAAAAAAL The US of A PUTS us in the playoffs!!!!!" USA!
"It is because of the USA that we are being placed in the playoff ...BECAUSE OF THEM , NOT DUE TO YOU..NOT ANY OF YOU in the green shirts ....IT WAS THEM!!.NOT YOU!..THEY DID IT!!!!!NOT YOU! remember this forever..... KEEP THIS CLEARLY IN MIND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES! You do NOTHING for the shirt, you do NOT put the effort, you have NOTplaced us in the playoffs , you HAVE NOT placed us in the WORLD CUP ..YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT US ALIVE....IT WAS ESTADOS UNIDOS, NOT YOU.! .NOT YOU AND YOUR ARROGANCE/CONCEIT.....NOT YOU AND YOUR INFAMY....NOT YOU AND YOUR MORONS/PUNKS....
"IT IS A FAILURE.....and UNDESERVED -to go through to the playoff- WE HAD NO ARGUMENTS to earn the playoffs, THE USA, WITH SUBS , WITH MANY SUBS as the visiting team shows us once again what the USA is all about ....how to play the game with dignity, how to approach the sport..MExico is a horror, just terrible....A FAILURE....
THE USA HAS SURPASSED US ..They are better than Mexico in SOCCER ....THEY EVEN HAVE THE LUXURY OF PLAYING THEIR SUBS and KEEPING US LIVE.... I hope our coach wears the pants and resigns..He has failed as coach...."

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #615 on: October 16, 2013, 01:04:38 PM »
I wanted Mexico to get knocked out, but considering the outrage, it's all worth it to have them advance ONLY because we gifted it to them. If you haven't seen it, here's the interpretation. Hilarious.

"It is because of the USA that we are being placed in the playoff ...BECAUSE OF THEM , NOT DUE TO YOU..NOT ANY OF YOU in the green shirts ....IT WAS THEM!!.NOT YOU!..THEY DID IT!!!!!NOT YOU! remember this forever..... KEEP THIS CLEARLY IN MIND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES! You do NOTHING for the shirt, you do NOT put the effort, you have NOTplaced us in the playoffs , you HAVE NOT placed us in the WORLD CUP ..YOU WOULD NOT HAVE KEPT US ALIVE....IT WAS ESTADOS UNIDOS, NOT YOU.! .NOT YOU AND YOUR ARROGANCE/CONCEIT.....NOT YOU AND YOUR INFAMY....NOT YOU AND YOUR MORONS/PUNKS....
"IT IS A FAILURE.....and UNDESERVED -to go through to the playoff- WE HAD NO ARGUMENTS to earn the playoffs, THE USA, WITH SUBS , WITH MANY SUBS as the visiting team shows us once again what the USA is all about ....how to play the game with dignity, how to approach the sport..MExico is a horror, just terrible....A FAILURE....
THE USA HAS SURPASSED US ..They are better than Mexico in SOCCER ....THEY EVEN HAVE THE LUXURY OF PLAYING THEIR SUBS and KEEPING US LIVE.... I hope our coach wears the pants and resigns..He has failed as coach...."

that guy is straight up going to be murdered

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #616 on: October 16, 2013, 02:13:35 PM »

Based on the admittedly small sample size of coworkers who live in Mexico and are rabid fans.....they are in 100% agreement with everything the broadcaster said.

In fact, one guy who I had a friendly wager on the El Tri-USMNT game in Columbus that involved the loser having to wear the winning teams jersey at an all week convention for our company in Houston in November, called me this morning to say he was going to be wearing the whole kit and might do it all of that week.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #617 on: October 16, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »

I believe it was Andres Cantor.  He's basically the Howard Cosell of Mexican Announcers, so I wouldnt count on it.  Well, mixed with a healthy dose of Gus Johnson, cause it is Mexico after all.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #618 on: October 16, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »

Can we call it even in exchange for border security?  We got you into the cup, so uhm, enjoy the experience at home?   :P

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #619 on: October 17, 2013, 07:00:46 AM »
What would be even funnier is if Mexico lost their home-and-home playoff with New Zealand. Right now El Tri can't take anything for granted. We gave them the opportunity, but they still have one step to go. We can't win that one for them.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #620 on: October 17, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »
Can we call it even in exchange for border security?  We got you into the cup, so uhm, enjoy the experience at home?   :P

::)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #621 on: October 27, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »
As a Chicago Fire season ticket holder, that was brutal. I feel like Klopas is done here. Or should be. We need more depth along the backline. I like the forwards and mids we have. Plus Sean Johnson in goal is a no brainer.

Mike Magee wins the Golden Boot, which is nice. He turned the season around for us. Definitely in the running for MVP, but I think without a playoff birth, he won't win.

Disappointing end, but we only have ourselves to blame. Let's get things together in the offseason.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #622 on: November 19, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
So assuming Mexico and Uruguay wrap up their inter-federation playoffs by holding on to their sizable leads, of the 32 countries represented in the WC next year, 24 were in the 2010 tournament.  Four countries (Croatia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Iran) were last represented in 2006.  Two in 2002 (Belgium, Russia).  One in 1998 (Colombia).  And one is debuting (Bosnia).

I mean, after 150+ qualifying games in Africa, the same five teams qualified.  (South Africa as the 2010 host did not.)

Compare this to 2010, where only 18 of the countries repeated from 2006.  Four of the countries had to go back to the 1960s or 1980s to find their last appearance.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #623 on: November 24, 2013, 01:18:52 AM »
So this is kind of terrifying...

http://ultra-zone.net/2014-FIFA-World-Cup-Group-Stage-Draws

It's a World Cup draw simulator. With the USA being pretty clearly the strongest team in Pot B (the weakest pot) it all but assures us of being in the Group of Death. Here are the pots:

Pot 1: Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Uruguay, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland
Pot 2: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras
Pot 3: Chile, Ecuador, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, France
Pot 4: Netherlands, Italy, England, Portugal, Greece, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Russia

I think our best case scenario is Switzerland, USA, Algeria, Greece. I'd feel very good about our odds of winning that group. The worst case scenario would probably be Brazil, USA, Ghana, Netherlands. Not sure FIFA would let that happen to the hosts as it wouldn't even assure them of escaping.

Without a doubt, Switzerland seems to be the weakest seeded team. You can get lucky in the other pots, but being in the second pot really hurts. It's too bad Mexico qualified. Had they lost, it's possible we'd have been potted with the African teams, which would have been much better for us and made more sense as New Zealand would have been a good fit with the Asian teams. Oh well...not likely to be an easy group. Still can't wait for December 6.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #624 on: November 24, 2013, 08:09:06 AM »
I'm not sure how you could have the Netherlands and Italy unranked...but Colombia and Switzerland ranked.

feedback