[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802279 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #550 on: September 10, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
Turned on the Colombia match just now and watched them give up two quick goals...So disappointing and now feel like a jinx.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #551 on: September 10, 2013, 09:03:02 PM »
Nice win.

The Honduras - Panama game is on now on BeIN TV on channel 620 if interested.  If Panama loses or draws, USA in the World Cup

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #552 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
aaah, nice to relax with roommate and friends and drink to victory
MU15

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #553 on: September 10, 2013, 11:19:04 PM »
This actually got me to thinking...

UEFA Qualifying Groups:

Group A: Croatia 8, Belgium 10, Serbia 41, Wales 46, Scotland 50, Macedonia 89
Average Rank: 40.7

Group B: Italy 6, Czech Republic 26, Denmark 27, Bulgaria 53, Armenia 66, Malta 134
Average Rank: 52

Group C: Germany 2, Sweden 30, Ireland 44, Austria 55, Kazakhstan 149, Faroe Islands 175
Average Rank: 75.8

Group D: Netherlands 5, Hungary 31, Romania 33, Turkey 58, Estonia 85, Andorra 205
Average Rank: 72.8

Group E: Switzerland 15, Norway 25, Albania 38, Slovenia 45, Iceland 70, Cyprus 123
Average Rank: 52.7

Group F: Portugal 7, Russia 16, Israel 63, Northern Ireland 109, Azerbaijan 115, Luxembourg 140
Average Rank: 75

Group G: Greece 11, Bosnia & Herzegovina 13, Slovakia 62, Lithuania 106, Latvia 119, Liechtenstein 148
Average Rank: 76.5

Group H: England 14, Montenegro 28, Ukraine 28, Poland 72, Moldova 123, San Marino 207
Average Rank: 78.7

Group I: Spain 1, France 23, Finland 65, Belarus 73, Georgia 97
Average Rank: 51.8

CONCACAF Hexagonal: USA 19, Mexico 20, Panama 40, Costa Rica 42, Honduras 43, Jamaica 76
Average Rank: 40

Huh. How about that? It's widely known that the FIFA Rankings are flawed and skewed heavily towards European teams. Yet according to these flawed rankings that make CONCACAF look worse than it actually is, the Hexagonal is STILL harder than ANY UEFA qualifying group, and only Group A is even CLOSE to being as hard as the Hex.

I know, the argument against is that each European group only gives 1.5 spots per group. But the USA has to play 8 games against 4 different top-50 opponents. The traditional top teams in Europe don't play nearly as tough a road. Spain and Portugal have 1 other top-50 nation in their group, England, Germany, Italy, and Holland all have only 2 other top-50 nations in their group. And that's using a rating system that actually makes their competition look better than it actually is.

setyoursightsnorth, your whole argument about the strength of Europe is a joke. It all falls apart when you look at these piss-poor groups, because for every game a European power plays against a top-50 opponent, they play 2-3 games against a Belarus, Malta, Andorra, or Georgia. They are walking a road paved in gold while we are walking one paved in bags of cat urine thrown by Costa Rican and Panamanian fans.

European Qualification is not a joke. These CONCACAF teams are good because they play minnows like Jamaica and Canada three times a year and it adds up to good "rankings". If you take Panama and a comparable team like Slovenia, I would put my whole life savings on Slovenia. The difference in class and ability in Europe is so small that rankings become minuscule and don't mean anything (as we've previously stated). In the 2014 UEFA qualifiers, Northern Ireland beat Russia. Israel tied with Portugal. England drew with the likes of Ukraine, Poland, and Montenegro. These games are always enjoyable because they're unpredictable. You know that the USA will beat Belize, Panama, and Honduras. It's a two horse race every single time. You can lose a game or two and be completely fine, whereas in Europe, one loss and you fall out of the group. It's not a "road paved in gold" by any stretch of the imagination. There is simply more class to be found in Europe, even in the "lower" tier teams than there is in CONCACAF and you're a fool to argue otherwise.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #554 on: September 11, 2013, 12:11:13 AM »
I was once in England at a pub during World Cup qualifying in 1993.  The English had just been beat earlier in the week and they were screwed.  They had to beat San Marino by something like 7 goals to have a chance to advance and have the Holland lose to Poland in their group lose as well.  The Brits wanted their coach (Graham Taylor) dead, they were so pissed.  In the first minute....literally, San Marino scored...this was one of the worst soccer teams I had ever seen and I know a bit about the game (went to Final Four as a junior on my high school team in Calif, played against Kobi Jone, Eric Wynalda, etc).

At any rate, the English come back and scored 7 straight goals and the place is going crazy because they might just get the 7 goal differential.  Meanwhile, Holland are playing at the same time on the tube in this pub.  It was quite fun...the most desperate fan base I have ever seen, pissed beyond belief, then actually getting nutty for about 25 minutes as the impossible was about to happen, only to fall short by scoring 7 goals and not 8....oh, and the Poles ended up losing.  England missed the World Cup. 

I bring it up only because Hexagonal may not be as tough as some other groups, but there are also teams in Europe that are just outright laughable.  That San Marino team was an embarrassment to futbol.  Teams like Macedonia, Andorra, Cyprus, the Faroes, Moldova, Malta, Iceland, etc....equally just straight up brutal.  I would take Jamaica over any of those teams.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/BKDh04AN-Us" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/BKDh04AN-Us</a>

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #555 on: September 11, 2013, 01:55:00 AM »
I would take the Marquette Men's soccer team over San Marino.  :D

reinko

• All American
« Reply #556 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
Nice win.

The Honduras - Panama game is on now on BeIN TV on channel 620 if interested.  If Panama loses or draws, USA in the World Cup

Get that off the Sports Pack so I can watch it!   ;D

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #557 on: September 11, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
I wrote it in February, June, July, and I'll finish it off here in September:

Klinsy is fine. He's playing around. And has been since the beginning. He knows it's a virtual lock to qualify. Everything he does is with the idea of seeing what they're capable of in Brazil for those first three games.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #558 on: September 11, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
A missed PK? C'mon man.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #559 on: September 11, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
A missed PK? C'mon man.

In the end it didn't matter, but I really hope Klinsy sits down with Clint and says "I know you're the captain, but let Donovan take the spot kicks." Clint got a lucky spin on the PK at Costa Rica and flat out missed last night. Landon is a stone cold killer from the spot. Say what you will about LD, I would put him up against anyone in the world when it comes to taking penalties. There aren't many better and none from the US are even close.

If the game's on the line, we need Donovan at the spot. Clint's a fine player, but not a tenth the penalty taker LD is.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #560 on: September 11, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »
In the end it didn't matter, but I really hope Klinsy sits down with Clint and says "I know you're the captain, but let Donovan take the spot kicks." Clint got a lucky spin on the PK at Costa Rica and flat out missed last night. Landon is a stone cold killer from the spot. Say what you will about LD, I would put him up against anyone in the world when it comes to taking penalties. There aren't many better and none from the US are even close.

If the game's on the line, we need Donovan at the spot. Clint's a fine player, but not a tenth the penalty taker LD is.

So you aren't going with the "he missed it on purpose" line?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #561 on: September 11, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »

I am.

Dos a cero lives.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #562 on: September 11, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »

[/quote

Against Mexico?  Are you?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #563 on: September 11, 2013, 10:58:47 AM »
Entertaining game.   Hard to believe how uninspired Mexico looked. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #564 on: September 11, 2013, 11:01:28 AM »
I am.

Dos a cero lives.

I was poised to make a tidy profit with my "TRES A CERO" Tshirts before
Clint boned that PK...sigh...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #565 on: September 11, 2013, 11:15:07 AM »

If so, I'd be even more upset. Goal differential matters, especially with us coming in -4 compared to Costa Rica. The "Dos a cero" tradition doesn't mean you should deliberately do something that could cost your country top of the group. I still think we get top of the group and we are obviously through, but we weren't when he took the kick and I really dislike the idea of our captain intentionally missing when it could ultimately matter.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #566 on: September 11, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Get that off the Sports Pack so I can watch it!   ;D

Can I bill you directly for the cost?   ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #567 on: September 11, 2013, 12:28:59 PM »
Entertaining game.   Hard to believe how uninspired Mexico looked. 

I just don't think they're that good.  They have some very good strikers, but nothing creative in the mid-field and they look quite small. 

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #568 on: September 11, 2013, 02:10:24 PM »
If so, I'd be even more upset. Goal differential matters, especially with us coming in -4 compared to Costa Rica. The "Dos a cero" tradition doesn't mean you should deliberately do something that could cost your country top of the group. I still think we get top of the group and we are obviously through, but we weren't when he took the kick and I really dislike the idea of our captain intentionally missing when it could ultimately matter.
  Doubt that the miss was intentional.  If it was, that's a problem.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #569 on: September 11, 2013, 02:45:17 PM »
I just don't think they're that good.  They have some very good strikers, but nothing creative in the mid-field and they look quite small. 

I really think it's a failure in the coaching mindset. This is about as talented as Mexico has been in my lifetime, but they don't have near the physicality or toughness they are known for. They dominated us early and did the same to Honduras, but they just can't keep it up. They need a manager to reinvigorate them, or a willingness to select players based on their strength instead of their flash. It's really amazing to see how different the perception is of the US and Mexico versus a year ago.

melissasmooth

• Team Captain
  • yeah
« Reply #570 on: September 11, 2013, 07:00:28 PM »
Was watching the game with a friend and they said the mexican team doesnt have as many a**holes on the team as in the past. Maybe that is what they are missing :)
MU15

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #571 on: September 12, 2013, 09:20:50 AM »
Was watching the game with a friend and they said the mexican team doesnt have as many a**holes on the team as in the past. Maybe that is what they are missing :)

But there are plenty in the stands supporting El Tri, so I think it evens out.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #572 on: September 12, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
But there are plenty in the stands supporting El Tri, so I think it evens out.

The first USA/Mexico match I went to was the 2007 Gold Cup Final in Chicago. I learned more that day about how to be a good fan from the Mexican supporters than I did in the 30 previous years of my life watching sports. I would guess 98% of Soldier was wearing green, but they were the most gracious fans, not only after the game but during. There was one guy (out of thousands) that shouted something disparaging at us, but when it was even they just wanted to see a goal, even if they didn't score it. When we equalized and went ahead, the Mexican fans acknowledged the quality of play (especially Feilhaber's brilliant winner, the best goal I've ever seen live and it's not even close) and while cheering for their team didn't really get down on ours.

I hate the Mexican team, but I really do respect their fans. Whether it's the ones that show up for the matches live or the guys I see at Highbury, both frequently and infrequently, they respect the game and respect our team. They are passionate about their own, but they are without a doubt the classiest rival fanbase I have ever encountered. I honestly have a tough time rooting against them sometimes, simply because their fans deserve to have a great team.

But they I see Chicharito's douchey face, or have memories of Borgetti, and remember they are still Mexico and I hate them.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #573 on: September 12, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
The first USA/Mexico match I went to was the 2007 Gold Cup Final in Chicago. I learned more that day about how to be a good fan from the Mexican supporters than I did in the 30 previous years of my life watching sports. I would guess 98% of Soldier was wearing green, but they were the most gracious fans, not only after the game but during. There was one guy (out of thousands) that shouted something disparaging at us, but when it was even they just wanted to see a goal, even if they didn't score it. When we equalized and went ahead, the Mexican fans acknowledged the quality of play (especially Feilhaber's brilliant winner, the best goal I've ever seen live and it's not even close) and while cheering for their team didn't really get down on ours.

I hate the Mexican team, but I really do respect their fans. Whether it's the ones that show up for the matches live or the guys I see at Highbury, both frequently and infrequently, they respect the game and respect our team. They are passionate about their own, but they are without a doubt the classiest rival fanbase I have ever encountered. I honestly have a tough time rooting against them sometimes, simply because their fans deserve to have a great team.

But they I see Chicharito's douchey face, or have memories of Borgetti, and remember they are still Mexico and I hate them.

Completely agree, Mexico supporters love their football team and I have no problems with them at all. I dont have a problem with the actually team either like most of you do. That may just be because I grew up around more Mexican soccer fans then US soccer fans.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #574 on: September 12, 2013, 11:43:46 AM »
Glad you had a positive experience with the Mexican fans.
Of course, Mexican fans have also been known to chant "Osama, Osama, Osama" at games against the U.S., drown out the "Star Spangled Banner" with boos, and throw bottles full of urine at opposing players (and their fans).
They're the best.
(note: No doubt every fanbase has its turds)

Just a handful of accounts:

http://deadspin.com/mexican-fans-drill-costa-rican-soccer-player-in-the-hea-512784144

http://www.uproxx.com/sports/2011/06/mexican-soccer-fans-are-boorish-animals-a-first-hand-account/

http://thebiglead.com/2013/03/27/mexican-soccer-fans-threw-beers-at-american-soccer-fans-celebrating-a-tie-chanting-u-s-a-at-azteca-video/

http://deadspin.com/friendly-mexican-league-match-in-las-vegas-gets-viole-667020550