collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801910 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #500 on: August 15, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »
That fourth goal was a lovely move. Michael Bradley made a great run, and still weighted the pass perfectly.

The difference in Jozy's finishing ability is incredible. Hard to believe that is the same player that used to miss sitters on a semi-regular basis.

Amazing what a couple years in Holland can do for a guy. It's a great nation for strikers to cut their teeth. Just hope he can keep it up at Sunderland.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2013, 09:42:43 AM »
Amazing what a couple years in Holland can do for a guy. It's a great nation for strikers to cut their teeth. Just hope he can keep it up at Sunderland.

Lets hope it does the same for Johansson

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #502 on: August 16, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »
The free kick was flawlessly placed.

A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #503 on: August 18, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »

young guy already looked pretty solid in his time on the field. Took several defenders on one-on-one. only other US players that even try that, let alone succeed, are Brek, Landon and Clint.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #504 on: August 18, 2013, 10:44:03 PM »
young guy already looked pretty solid in his time on the field. Took several defenders on one-on-one. only other US players that even try that, let alone succeed, are Brek, Landon and Clint.

Liked what I saw from him. Legitimately made some guys miss, against a squad like B-H that's no small feat. Shots were pretty much straight at the keeper, but hopefully his shot selection and placement will improve with time. At least they were on target.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #505 on: August 19, 2013, 08:10:41 AM »

Hasn't he already gotten off to a great start with AZ?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #506 on: August 19, 2013, 10:31:58 AM »

Hasn't he already gotten off to a great start with AZ?

The only people concerned with AJ and his evolution are "fans" who didn't know his name three weeks ago. He's fine.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #507 on: August 22, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
My EPL prediction:

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Man Utd
4. Arsenal

Relegated: Hull, Crystal Palace, Stoke

Can I get a chance to modify this?  I didn't think Arsenal would do nothing in the transfer market...and Tottenham selling Bale at his top valuation might end up being better for them in the long run.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #508 on: August 24, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »

Can I get a chance to modify this?  I didn't think Arsenal would do nothing in the transfer market...and Tottenham selling Bale at his top valuation might end up being better for them in the long run.

This one will be interesting...getting pipped to Willian by Chelsea certainly didn't help matters. Looked like they would bring in plenty for Bale, and while they still may, losing their top target to a cross-city rival isn't going to help matters. Not sure where Arsenal will end up, but one thing seems certain...it's about time for Arsene to hang them up. Not sure if it's a case of ownership not giving him money and telling him to cover (so he's lying to media) or if he really rates his current players as highly as he says (simply not as good as in years past) but that's a side that really needs an injection of fresh blood. Somewhat ironic, considering how much a focus they've had on youth over the years.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #509 on: August 24, 2013, 05:30:35 PM »
I imagine we can all agree,  NBC 's coverage is the tits.

Manifest Destiny

• Walk-On
« Reply #510 on: August 24, 2013, 05:40:45 PM »
This one will be interesting...getting pipped to Willian by Chelsea certainly didn't help matters. Looked like they would bring in plenty for Bale, and while they still may, losing their top target to a cross-city rival isn't going to help matters. Not sure where Arsenal will end up, but one thing seems certain...it's about time for Arsene to hang them up. Not sure if it's a case of ownership not giving him money and telling him to cover (so he's lying to media) or if he really rates his current players as highly as he says (simply not as good as in years past) but that's a side that really needs an injection of fresh blood. Somewhat ironic, considering how much a focus they've had on youth over the years.

Tottenham I think would rather lose someone to a club that is going to finish above them than to one that could challenge them for fourth.  (Liverpool)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #511 on: August 24, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
I imagine we can all agree,  NBC 's coverage is the tits.

Yes!  Really a first class production.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #512 on: August 24, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
Tottenham I think would rather lose someone to a club that is going to finish above them than to one that could challenge them for fourth.  (Liverpool)

Without a doubt, but they screwed up with Willian. Announced it as a virtual done deal so Chelsea knew he was fit and knew how much to offer. Guys like that aren't easy to find. He could have been the type of player to assure them top-four, not sure anyone else on the market they can afford will provide them that kind of quality production.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #513 on: August 26, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
Without a doubt, but they screwed up with Willian. Announced it as a virtual done deal so Chelsea knew he was fit and knew how much to offer. Guys like that aren't easy to find. He could have been the type of player to assure them top-four, not sure anyone else on the market they can afford will provide them that kind of quality production.

Willian wasn't going to assure spuds a Champions League finish if they couldn't achieve that with Jesus-reincarnated Curious George lookalike Bale. 

spuds fans end all and be all is qualifying for Champions League and that's all they aim at. Meanwhile, for Arsenal, they do that crap in their sleep and its an utter failure in the eyes of everyone. Strange world.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #514 on: August 27, 2013, 10:42:28 PM »
Willian wasn't going to assure spuds a Champions League finish if they couldn't achieve that with Jesus-reincarnated Curious George lookalike Bale. 

spuds fans end all and be all is qualifying for Champions League and that's all they aim at. Meanwhile, for Arsenal, they do that crap in their sleep and its an utter failure in the eyes of everyone. Strange world.

Strange world? Not in the least. Not even remotely strange. In this sport more than any other teams are judged based on their own expectations. For some teams, finishing 17th is a wildly successful year. For others, it's a top half finish. Meanwhile, for Manchester United, a finish outside the top-3 would be considered a disaster, even if they finished 4th and assured a CL spot. That holds across other countries as well. This isn't the NFL where everyone has title dreams on day one (thanks, Rams) and half the teams have a legit shot.

And it wasn't Willian alone, Spurs had what, 4-5 guys rumored to be coming in? But only one had any hope of coming close to replicating Bale's impact, and that was Willian. All I'm saying is they really screwed the pooch on that and if the difference of 4th and 5th comes down to a handful of points, Willian may have been the unrealized difference.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #515 on: August 28, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »
Strange world? Not in the least. Not even remotely strange. In this sport more than any other teams are judged based on their own expectations. For some teams, finishing 17th is a wildly successful year. For others, it's a top half finish. Meanwhile, for Manchester United, a finish outside the top-3 would be considered a disaster, even if they finished 4th and assured a CL spot. That holds across other countries as well. This isn't the NFL where everyone has title dreams on day one (thanks, Rams) and half the teams have a legit shot.

Exactly.  And Spurs has a wage cap, so even if they develop great players, they can't pay them like other clubs and they will depart. (see Luka Modric)  Thus they have to play a moneyball game of sorts (even though Wenger's approach at Arsenal coincidentally is more moneyball-esque).  Spurs have a good core, a great manager, but they can't just go out and sign mega players with the same efficiency and success as one of the big spenders in Arsenal.

Speaking of Arsenal, those expectations are a result of the cult of Wenger.  He's been good for so long, that people just assume they should be in a certain position.  If Arsenal had sacked Wenger, and had a new manager this year with this roster and lack of offseason moves, the mindset would be very similar to Spurs.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #516 on: August 29, 2013, 01:57:06 PM »
Full Champions League draw:

A: Manchester United, Shaktar Donetsk, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Sociedad
B: Real Madrid, Juventus, Galatasaray, FC Kopenhagen
C: Benfica, Paris St Germain, Olympiakos, Anderlecht
D: Bayern Munich, CSKA Moscow, Manchester City, Viktoria Plzen
E: Chelsea, Schalke 04, FC Basel, Steaua Bucharest
F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli
G: FC Porto, Atletico Madrid, Zenit St Petersburg, Austria Vienna
H: Barcelona, AC Milan, Ajax Amsterdam, Celtic

Group F jumps out as the Group of Death, but H is also tough. I like United and Leverkusen in Group A (Shaktar lost too much). In B, Real and Juve look like near locks in a lopsided group. C is one of the weakest groups, PSG should be a strong bet and I think Anderlecht can escape it as well. Munich will certainly come out of D, the question will be if City can edge CSKA to join them. I think so this year. E looks like Chelsea and Schalke, though Basel could make things interesting. F will be awesome to watch. I like Dortmund and Napoli to advance, further pressuring Wenger. Group G I like Atletico and Zenit. Finally, leaning towards Barca and Milan in H, though it will be a dogfight for the second spot, could be all three in it if Celtic can do well at home.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #517 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:50 PM »
Full Champions League draw:

A: Manchester United, Shaktar Donetsk, Bayer Leverkusen, Real Sociedad
B: Real Madrid, Juventus, Galatasaray, FC Kopenhagen
C: Benfica, Paris St Germain, Olympiakos, Anderlecht
D: Bayern Munich, CSKA Moscow, Manchester City, Viktoria Plzen
E: Chelsea, Schalke 04, FC Basel, Steaua Bucharest
F: Arsenal, Marseille, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli
G: FC Porto, Atletico Madrid, Zenit St Petersburg, Austria Vienna
H: Barcelona, AC Milan, Ajax Amsterdam, Celtic

Group F jumps out as the Group of Death, but H is also tough. I like United and Leverkusen in Group A (Shaktar lost too much). In B, Real and Juve look like near locks in a lopsided group. C is one of the weakest groups, PSG should be a strong bet and I think Anderlecht can escape it as well. Munich will certainly come out of D, the question will be if City can edge CSKA to join them. I think so this year. E looks like Chelsea and Schalke, though Basel could make things interesting. F will be awesome to watch. I like Dortmund and Napoli to advance, further pressuring Wenger. Group G I like Atletico and Zenit. Finally, leaning towards Barca and Milan in H, though it will be a dogfight for the second spot, could be all three in it if Celtic can do well at home.

I think the way UEFA determines the seedings need some thought.  Here we have Porto and Benfica in Pot 1.  And last year's runner up and winner of two of the last three Bundesligas (Dortmund) in Pot 3?

I think Man United has a good draw, but they can't sleep against any of those teams.  Sociedad is much better than the average Pot 4 team.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #518 on: August 29, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »

I think the way UEFA determines the seedings need some thought.  Here we have Porto and Benfica in Pot 1.  And last year's runner up and winner of two of the last three Bundesligas (Dortmund) in Pot 3?

2 Portuguese teams and 0 Italians in Pot 1 just seems odd. Just one more silly UEFA decision. And Platini wants Blatter's job? That'll end well...

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #519 on: August 29, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »

And it wasn't Willian alone, Spurs had what, 4-5 guys rumored to be coming in? But only one had any hope of coming close to replicating Bale's impact, and that was Willian. All I'm saying is they really screwed the pooch on that and if the difference of 4th and 5th comes down to a handful of points, Willian may have been the unrealized difference.

Wait, expectations are relative to past accomplishments? crap. Who'd a thunk? Different worlds being played in.

Not sure your love for Willian. Fine player for Shaktar but no world beater. Plays a different game. Lamela was always their first choice replacement for Bale. Plays the same possession but more from the middle as a start. Considering their outlay, it will be utter failure if they don't qualify. And not having a player they never had won't be the reason.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #520 on: August 29, 2013, 09:39:58 PM »
Exactly.  And Spurs has a wage cap, so even if they develop great players, they can't pay them like other clubs and they will depart. (see Luka Modric)  Thus they have to play a moneyball game of sorts (even though Wenger's approach at Arsenal coincidentally is more moneyball-esque).  Spurs have a good core, a great manager, but they can't just go out and sign mega players with the same efficiency and success as one of the big spenders in Arsenal.

Speaking of Arsenal, those expectations are a result of the cult of Wenger.  He's been good for so long, that people just assume they should be in a certain position.  If Arsenal had sacked Wenger, and had a new manager this year with this roster and lack of offseason moves, the mindset would be very similar to Spurs.

Uh, spuds will be biggest spender of the window. Already put down nearly 150m US. That's a strange sort of moneyball.

And not sure you're familiar with Arsenal. Hard to be called a "big spender" when your club record fee of £17m is eclipsed three times in this window alone by spuds (not to mention any of the other top six clubs). And I laugh at you describing Arsenal with "efficiency" and "success" regarding signings (see: Juan Mata and Gonzalo Higuain).

Who was the last "mega player" signing for Arsenal?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #521 on: August 30, 2013, 07:07:44 AM »
Uh, spuds will be biggest spender of the window. Already put down nearly 150m US. That's a strange sort of moneyball.

And not sure you're familiar with Arsenal. Hard to be called a "big spender" when your club record fee of £17m is eclipsed three times in this window alone by spuds (not to mention any of the other top six clubs). And I laugh at you describing Arsenal with "efficiency" and "success" regarding signings (see: Juan Mata and Gonzalo Higuain).

+1  Arsenal has been disappointing me for years now.  They have the money, but they hoard it.  It is super annoying.

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #522 on: August 30, 2013, 08:55:35 AM »

I believe the Cazorla signing set the team's transfer record.  That said, Arshavin's signing was for a similar amount (bangs head against wall).

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #523 on: August 30, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
No Parkhurst on the USMNT qualifying team?  Bummer.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #524 on: August 31, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

I phrased it poorly, but guys like Henry, Nasri, van Brockhorst, and Reyes were pricey at the time.  They admittedly have been different and not big spending as of late. I guess I was speaking to past Arsenal activity and not the last few years.

And Spurs big spending is abnormal and clearly a result of selling Bale for such an exorbitant fee.

feedback