collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801378 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #475 on: July 29, 2013, 07:33:21 AM »
Shea stole Bedoya's goal, but it was earned. Absolutely dominated possession and the run of play. Really felt like the second goal was coming, but just wasn't in the cards. D

Demolition man missed from 3 feet.  That should have been the 2nd goal.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #476 on: July 29, 2013, 03:39:45 PM »
Was at soldier field yesterday...what a great time.

Anyone going to Columbus for the USA v Mexico game? I luckily managed supporter section tickets; it is going to be crazy!

tower912

• All American
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #479 on: July 30, 2013, 11:11:53 AM »
http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/29/stu-holden-injury-stuart-right-knee-torn-acl-usmnt-united-states-usa-bolton-gold-cup-copa-oro/related/

Terrible luck.   Torn ACL

I have to think Sunday was the last time we will ever see Holden suit up for the US. His injury history has become far too frequent for him to overcome. Sad to see with a player that once had so much potential, but I doubt he'll be back to 100% for next year's World Cup, and in 2018 he'll be on the wrong side of 30, and with those injuries his body is likely older than his birth certificate would indicate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #480 on: July 30, 2013, 11:22:47 AM »
I have to think Sunday was the last time we will ever see Holden suit up for the US. His injury history has become far too frequent for him to overcome. Sad to see with a player that once had so much potential, but I doubt he'll be back to 100% for next year's World Cup, and in 2018 he'll be on the wrong side of 30, and with those injuries his body is likely older than his birth certificate would indicate.

Holden will play for the United States again.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #481 on: August 02, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
Clint Dempsey heading back to MLS....grrr.....

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #482 on: August 02, 2013, 08:04:52 PM »
Yea I don't understand that one at all for Duece.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #483 on: August 02, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »
Yea I don't understand that one at all for Duece.

4 years, $32m. Pretty easy to understand.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #484 on: August 03, 2013, 10:24:26 AM »
Was at soldier field yesterday...what a great time.

Anyone going to Columbus for the USA v Mexico game? I luckily managed supporter section tickets; it is going to be crazy!

Will be there as well with 2 other MU grads.  Will definitely be at the outlaws pregame party and walk to the game. Hope to see you there, direct message if you would like to meet. 

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #485 on: August 03, 2013, 11:30:03 AM »
No, not easy.  Its not like he isn't making solid money playing EPL.  He has frequently spoken about honing his game against top tier competition.  MlS is not top tier competition yet. Maybe its about not enjoying Europe and wanting to be closer to home. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #486 on: August 03, 2013, 01:01:32 PM »
No, not easy.  Its not like he isn't making solid money playing EPL.  He has frequently spoken about honing his game against top tier competition.  MlS is not top tier competition yet. Maybe its about not enjoying Europe and wanting to be closer to home. 

SI's Andy Glockner did a good job pointing out how this is a forward move for Dempsey: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130802/clint-dempsey-seattle-move/index.html
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #487 on: August 03, 2013, 01:18:53 PM »
I'm getting a bit tired of the euphoric "this is helping the MLS grow!" chorus.  Right now, the US still isn't viewed as a legitimate soccer nation globally.  I think the prejudice against the US in that sense was visible from Dempsey's situation last summer when Tottenham was almost a bail out move.  Non of the big guys were interested, right or wrong.

The best thing for the MLS to grow and improve is to keep developing players from a young age and increasing the quality of the league across the board.  They've been doing that and the league is light years better than 5 years ago, but it still takes time.  Bringing these marquee names like Henry, Keane, and Beckham are great for publicity and to bring casual fans out, but it does nothing for league quality.  If Tony Parker went back to the top French basketball league right now, nobody is gonna say that legitimizes that league even more, especially if he wanted out of San Antonio and nobody in LA, NYC, Miami or Chicago wanted him.

The US needs their top stars playing abroad for both the challenge of playing against top world talent all year, as well as the global soccer community being like "hmm, I guess those Americans can kick it around".  Michael Bradley is a prime example.  Only when that sort of respect comes will international players, with talent, consider the MLS as a good spot to start or further their career, not just prolong it.  I'd argue that Jozy's move to Sunderland, while not Chelsea or United or City, is a better move for the image of American soccer overall.  Another US star in the EPL.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #488 on: August 03, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
I'm getting a bit tired of the euphoric "this is helping the MLS grow!" chorus.  Right now, the US still isn't viewed as a legitimate soccer nation globally.  I think the prejudice against the US in that sense was visible from Dempsey's situation last summer when Tottenham was almost a bail out move.  Non of the big guys were interested, right or wrong.

Liverpool was interested and probably would have been a better fit.  And neither them nor Tottenham are slouches.  The other top clubs all didn't need what Dempsey could bring.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #489 on: August 03, 2013, 06:47:30 PM »

Liverpool was interested and probably would have been a better fit.  And neither them nor Tottenham are slouches.  The other top clubs all didn't need what Dempsey could bring.

Fit has never been an issue when it comes to talent, if he was really wanted, things would have gotten moved around.  We don't really know what went on behind the scenes, but there were no Champions League teams sniffing around him even after the year he had.  Tottenham is a good club, but still not a CL team.  Either way, maybe Dempsey wanted to be back in the States.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #490 on: August 04, 2013, 12:03:23 AM »
Not a fan of the move. If Dempsey's Spurs days were numbered, why not try Italy or Germany? Either league would play to his strengths and I'm sure he could slot in at a Leverkusen, Schalke, Fiorentina, or Lazio and at least battle for a CL spot. I just don't see this as much of a new challenge. I suppose it was inevitable, but thought it was 2-3 years off. Oh well...as long as he holds his form until next summer, that's all we really expect.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #491 on: August 04, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »

Liverpool was interested last summer, but didn't value him more than 4m. Spurs got him for 6m last summer.

Everton was interested this time around, but would have never met what MLS/Seattle offered.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #492 on: August 11, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
My EPL prediction:

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Man Utd
4. Arsenal

Relegated: Hull, Crystal Palace, Stoke

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #493 on: August 12, 2013, 04:17:56 PM »
My EPL prediction:

1. Chelsea
2. Man City
3. Man Utd
4. Arsenal

Relegated: Hull, Crystal Palace, Stoke

Have the same top 4, but I think LFC will challenge Arsenal for that final spot.

Hull, Fulham, Norwich get relegated.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #494 on: August 12, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
My Europe Wide Predictions.

EPL
1. Man City- Active in the transfer market, lost players but gained some as well (most notable loss that comes to mind is Toure and Tevez, although signing Stevan Jovetic helps with the attacking; one of my favorite players during his time with Fiorentina.

2. Tottenham Hotspur- Upset pick. Only if Bale stays. While Clint went to Seattle, I love the signing of Soldado to ease the pressure off of Bale. His play will help make this team a lot better and I believe they will finally crack into the Champions League.

3. Manchester City- Only because Fergie is gone. But they will still be solid.

4. Arsenal- Only because of Wojciech Szczesny. Gotta support my countryman. And only because I absolutely despise Chelsea.

Bundesliga
1. Borussia Dortmund- My favorite team in Europe, partly because three of the top polish players are on that team (Lewandowski, Blaszczykowski, and Piszczek). I love their signings of Aubameyang, Sokratis, and Henrikh Mkhitaryan. And besdies, I think everyone would like to see Bayern dethroned after capturing the treble.

2. Bayern Munich- The best team in Europe got better by getting Mario Gotze from Dortmund. That kid is a wizard. I except this season to be a lot closer than last and I don't think Bayern will breeze through the Bundesliga as it did. Tight race throughout the whole season.

3. Bayer Leverkusen.

4. Schalke 04- They boosted their offense by signing some young midfielders with a lot of talent but also a lot to prove. Getting Santana from Dortmund was also a good signing to help with the defense. Santana is a good defender, but was buried under the depth chart at Dortmund. But this last spot is wide open.

La Liga

I really don't care much for Spanish football truthfully, so I'm going with what I've been reading.

1. Barcelona- One word: Neymar.

2. Real Madrid- It'll be a two horse race, as usual, but Barcelona have simply added more than Real.

3. Valencia- Upset pick. Finished 5th last year. I think Atletico Madrid's loss of their biggest offensive weapon is to their benefit.

4. Atletico Madrid- Even though they lost Falcao, the addition of David Villa for dirt cheap will take (some) of that sting away.

Serie A

1. Juventus- The Old Lady is timeless. This is very much Juve's league to lose.

2. Napoli- Although they lost the best scorer in the league last year (Cavani to PSG), the three signings from Real Madrid (Higuain, Jose Callejon, and Raul Albiol) will make an impact, with Higuain obviously having the biggest. I don't think it's enough to replace Cavani, but enough for second place.

3. Fiorentina- The addition of Mario Gomez is huge, but so is the loss of Jovetic. This was Serie A's most exciting team to watch last season and I'm expecting much of the same. They'll edge out Milan this time around.

I know these are flawed. I didn't play it safe. I, for one, like throwing different teams in the mix and picking lots of upsets. It would be nice to see some other teams win. I can't wait for the rest of the leagues to kick off. The Bundesliga has already provided so many great moments in the first week.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #495 on: August 13, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
1) Manchester City -- I think the addition of Pelligrini was an excellent one. City is a more smartly-constructed team than the Madrid team he managed to 96 points.
2) Chelsea -- Mourinho's return will pay off, but not immediately. Chelsea is a team in transition and Jose needs to get rid of many of the guys that made him such a success last time around. Still a year away.
3) Manchester United -- I think they still have the goods to make it a 3-team title race, but this is a lot of pressure for Moyes. If Rooney leaves, they fall back a couple spots.
4) Arsenal -- Assuming they land Gustavo. They are just consistently good, something I can't expect from the Spuds or any Brendan Rodgers-coached team.

Relegated -- Hull City Tigers, Crystal Palace, West Brom (okay...maybe not WBA, but they're supposed to be the yo-yo dammit!)

---

Also, USA commentary...friendly with Bosnia-Herzegovina tomorrow, not even sure I'll be able to watch it, unfortunately. Looks like a decent chance for debuts from John Anthony Brooks, Aron Johansson, and maybe even Bobby Wood. I am hopeful Brooks and Johansson can crack the 2014 World Cup roster.

Really looking forward to next month, though. This friendly is inconsequential compared to playing Mexico and at Costa Rica, which has been as much (if not more) a house of horrors for us than the Azteca. Win those two and we're all but assured qualification, and it will likely also be a chance to see Donovan and Dempsey on the pitch together again. This team is starting to take shape, and I'm actually feeling very optimistic about things under California Klinsy...though I am still hoping for a World Cup draw of Argentina, Portugal, and Ivory Coast, because Klinsmann seems to excel in games we don't expect to win.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #496 on: August 14, 2013, 03:43:08 PM »
WHAT A COMEBACK!

I officially take back all the smack I talked about Altidore when he wasn't living up to expectations.  Dude is officially in beast mode.  Lets hope he continues it in the EPL.

12 IN A ROW

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #497 on: August 14, 2013, 04:35:37 PM »
Wow. That was impressive. I don't care what any critics might say, beating Bosnia in Sarajevo is impressive, especially in comeback fashion. Granted, they went behind early, and were punished with an offside goal that was allowed, but the US held their own in the first half. Diskerud looked excellent and really should have drawn a penalty had he not been so tenacious in keeping his feet. Then, the second half...

Jozy is on amazing form right now. Created the first goal and scored the other three. It's been a long time, but it finally feels like we have that forward we have been waiting so long for. He was aggressive, incisive, powerful, and perfectly on target. The free kick was flawlessly placed. He finally has his timing right and is doing well to avoid the offside traps. Great performance.

Brooks looked solid in his debut, as did Johansson. I have a feeling both will earn spots to Brazil. Wood got a debut as well, though it was brief and if not for seeing him on the pitch during a break in the action I wouldn't have known he was in the game. Dzeko had his chances and scored two, but he's probably the best power forward in the world right now. I can forgive Brooks as he kept up with him much of the day. Johansson really looked solid in creating chances. Granted, all his shots were right at the keeper, but it was a solid debut.

I still feel the Costa Rica game is a more important test, but coming back from 2-0 against one of the best teams in Europe (and the world) on their soil is impressive. That was Bosnia's top team. Jurgen's halftime adjustments were excellent and I have to admit he's fully won me over.

If we can manage to beat Costa Rica on the road, a fixture we've never won, and beat Mexico at home, the United States will be in the position to establish the longest winning streak in international history with our final two qualifiers. The record of 15 is held by Spain and was ended by the USA in the 2009 Confederations Cup. Now the USA could take that record themselves.

Going that long without a slip would be an amazing feat. While it's easy to discount the streak based on some of the competition, consider that the second longest current streak was ended today when Brazil lost to Switzerland, ending a 6-game run. Being that consistent, even against second tier teams, isn't easy.

Great win today. Great statement game for a nation on a tremendous run of form. If we can stay healthy for the next 10 months, Brazil could be incredibly exciting for fans of Team USA.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #498 on: August 14, 2013, 08:58:10 PM »
Have the same top 4, but I think LFC will challenge Arsenal for that final spot.

Hull, Fulham, Norwich get relegated.

homer...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #499 on: August 14, 2013, 11:38:32 PM »
That fourth goal was a lovely move. Michael Bradley made a great run, and still weighted the pass perfectly.

The difference in Jozy's finishing ability is incredible. Hard to believe that is the same player that used to miss sitters on a semi-regular basis.