collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801926 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #425 on: March 27, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
When the schedule came out, if you would have said that they would get 4 points out of their first 3 matches, most people would have been satisfied.  In June they first travel to Jamaica, and if they can get a point out of that, they'll come home for two straight v. Panama and Honduras.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #426 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18:47 AM »
The only way they were going to get a point last night was through a scoreless tie.   Completely disorganized on offense and they almost looked like they didn't want possession.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #427 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:51 AM »
The only way they were going to get a point last night was through a scoreless tie.   Completely disorganized on offense and they almost looked like they didn't want possession.

Klinsmann's teams are at their best in attack when the fullbacks get forward. Yesterday, with a converted CB and midfielder at that position, they had to sit back. Bradley and Edu also had to sit deeper to cover for the back four. It left Jozy/Dempsey on an island.

They did what they had to do to nick a point. Totally fine with that.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #428 on: March 27, 2013, 08:54:54 AM »
That German dude has no idea what he's doing. Geez louise, the Federation should fire him as its clear he's in well over his head and driving the program six feet under.

It's almost like that time the German guy (or is he Californian?) was coaching some team in Munich with all those stars (half of whom weren't in his squad) and a brainiac here said it was proof he has no substance. Or does he have substance? Is he learning?

Ah, he still must go. No chance they qualify. Bring back Bob!!!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #429 on: May 20, 2013, 01:23:08 AM »
My 2012-13 EPL Predictions:

1. United
2. City
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Newcastle

18. Southampton
19. Norwich
20. Wigan

Got the top three in order.  My damn heart picked Tottenham ahead of Arsenal.  Newcastle was obvviously a disappointment.

Got one of the three relegated. 

Wareagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #430 on: May 20, 2013, 03:06:13 AM »

Got the top three in order.  My damn heart picked Tottenham ahead of Arsenal.  Newcastle was obvviously a disappointment.

Got one of the three relegated. 

It will be interesting to see where Spurs land next year, given that they may sell Bale.  This may have been their last best chance to establish themselves in the top 4.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #431 on: May 30, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »
I don't know if our D has ever looked as lost as they did last night.  A lot of standing around.

Belgium looked very solid.  USMNT lucky to only give up 4.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

chren21

• All American
« Reply #432 on: May 30, 2013, 01:15:02 PM »
I don't know if our D has ever looked as lost as they did last night.  A lot of standing around.

Was brutal to watch. Thanks god the hawks were also on so I could switch between. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #433 on: May 30, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »

Here's the realization that both sucks and needs to be understood: no player on the US team last night would be a starter on a full-strength Belgium team. Except maybe Howard.

That's the sad reality of USA soccer right now. Tactics, fitness and "heart" can only carry you so far. We need a step up in individual talent. That's at least 4-5 years away, assuming the next generation pans out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2013, 12:42:25 PM »
Shocked at the lack of talk on the team. Only four months ago there was a lot of panty wetting and hopeless shoulder shrugging determining that the US was trending down in the almighty difficulty of third world soccer powers. Perhaps some were just too caught up in revisionist history after one match to follow what others inevitably knew would happen.

Wrote it four months ago, writing it now, and will write it four months in the future: Klinnsi knows what he's doing with only one thing on his mind and he can continue to play around until he finds what he wants for that one thing.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #435 on: June 09, 2013, 03:13:48 PM »
Was a huge 3 pts friday against the Reggae Boys.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #436 on: June 09, 2013, 03:32:50 PM »
World cup qualifying has been very kind to me so far. US, Colombia and Ivory Coast all look to be in pretty good shape.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2013, 07:04:32 AM »
They should fire Jurgen and hire Chapo. He really knows how to get results.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #438 on: June 12, 2013, 09:58:31 AM »
They should fire Jurgen and hire Chapo. He really knows how to get results.

I know you're kidding, but this may be the best the USMNT has looked under Jurgen.  Omar Gonzalez is still shaky but both he and Cameron had good games.  With Altidore finally finding some form up front, this team is fun to watch again instead of a brutal grind.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #439 on: June 12, 2013, 10:00:47 AM »
I know you're kidding, but this may be the best the USMNT has looked under Jurgen.  Omar Gonzalez is still shaky but both he and Cameron had good games.  With Altidore finally finding some form up front, this team is fun to watch again instead of a brutal grind.
Ya' gotta' consider the opponent.  Forget Belgium already?

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
Which opponent? Germany, Jamaica, or Panama three Ws. May not be Brazil/Spain but they are still wins. And  Belgium is a strong side right now.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #441 on: June 12, 2013, 11:06:48 AM »
Which opponent? Germany, Jamaica, or Panama three Ws. May not be Brazil/Spain but they are still wins. And  Belgium is a strong side right now.
Which opponent?  The Panamanian side, victory over whom has sent palpitations running through this thread.  Belgium toyed with us.  Germany sent its B/C side to play us and who can forget the own goal in that match?  I think I'd temper all that  enthusiasm with a dose of reality but that's me.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:36:53 AM by ATWizJr »

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #442 on: June 12, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
Which opponent?  The Panamanian side, victory over whom has sent palpitations running through this thread.  Belgium toyed with us.  Germany sent its B/C side to play us and who can forget the own goal in that match?  I think I'd temper all that  enthusiasm with a dose of reality but that's me.

I fully understand.  My enthusiasm is always tempered with the USMNT, but it's still great to see Ws (regardless of the opponent) and the US atop the Concacaf.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #443 on: June 12, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »

I fully understand.  My enthusiasm is always tempered with the USMNT, but it's still great to see Ws (regardless of the opponent) and the US atop the Concacaf.
It's nie to get a win in qualifying against anybody but beating Panama is no reason to get all het up, IMO.  Not like beating Portugal in the World Cup. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #444 on: June 12, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
It's nie to get a win in qualifying against anybody but beating Panama is no reason to get all het up, IMO.  Not like beating Portugal in the World Cup. 

True. We should expect to beat Panama. I think more impressive than the W was how certain players demonstrated their ability. Jozy is playing perhaps his best football ever for the national team. Bradley continues to be a handful in the middle. Cameron really impressed me next to Bradley. F. Johnson out wide has played very well.

Having said that, I still doubt any of our starter would start for a team like Belgium.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2013, 10:52:32 PM »
The USMNT might have the easiest road to the World Cup out of any country, given the weak teams in the Confederation. Only Australia, back when it was in the Oceania Confederation, had an easier road.

That win a week ago against a German "C" team in which they almost blew the game was laughable. Perfect reflection on the US soccer team. News outlets were calling it a "shock upset". Get real. Anything other than a first place finish in your Confederation is damn right shameful. Not really a fan of any of the players, but Dempsey is starting to win me over with his work for the Spurs.

Cheers

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #446 on: June 19, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
Nine points from the last three matches. Sitting atop the hex. Jozy looking like the USMNT finally has a legit striker (when there is service).

Now bring on the haters that want to throw cold water on the progress being shown.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #447 on: June 19, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
Nine points from the last three matches. Sitting atop the hex. Jozy looking like the USMNT finally has a legit striker (when there is service).

Now bring on the haters that want to throw cold water on the progress being shown.

+1. 

Look, they aint gonna be winning the World Cup.  But getting there and making some noise would be fun.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #448 on: June 19, 2013, 02:29:32 PM »

Weirdly, they've been very quiet since mid-February. Can't figure out why.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #449 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:44 PM »
A couple months ago I spent $500 on supporter section tickets for the Gold Cup Final in Chicago. Thankfully, the USA beat Honduras tonight to get there, otherwise that would have been a huge disappointment in regards to money spent.

While I realize it's CONCACAF, Donovan looks to be on his finest form and Klinsmann's style finally seems to be working. 10 straight wins at the international level when the bulk of those are qualifiers and cup matches is impressive no matter who you are. Still too many goals conceded on set pieces, but I'm slowly and cautiously warming to Klinsy.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback