[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802708 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #375 on: November 07, 2012, 08:01:23 PM »
The Hexagonal Draw is out for the US Men's National Team. Here are the matchdays:

February 6, @ Honduras
March 22, v Costa Rica
March 26, @ Mexico
June 7, @ Jamaica
June 11, v Panama
June 18, v Honduras
Sept 6, @ Costa Rica
Sept 10, v Mexico
Oct 11, v Jamaica
Oct 15, @ Panama

It's a very, very tough start. Costa Rica and Jamaica are really must-win matches. I'd be very happy with 7 points from our first 4 matches (assuming a loss to Mexico), though 6 or even 4 are probably more likely. We pretty much need all the home matches, especially with 4/5 at home after the road-heavy start. September 6 is probably another one we can mark down as a loss -- we've never won at Costa Rica in the Hexagonal.

My biggest worry is if we need to get anything out of that final match. Panama is a very tough place to play for a finish. I hope we have secured one of the top-3 spots by that time.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #376 on: November 07, 2012, 08:38:06 PM »
Too bad we cant get Mexico at home during the winter.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #377 on: November 07, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
I thought the same. Honestly, I'm ready to start making plans now. That game should be in Columbus. Maybe KC, but I doubt it. Will try to get to at least 2 of these, depending on location. Wish traveling to Jamaica in June was realistic, but between the wedding and honeymoon, I just can't afford it.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #378 on: November 07, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Guessing Honduras will be in Chicago.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #379 on: November 07, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
Guessing Honduras will be in Chicago.

I'll be sure to stay off the METRA on that day.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #380 on: November 08, 2012, 07:01:04 AM »
I'll be sure to stay off the METRA on that day.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #381 on: November 08, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »
Any chance Jacksonville could get a home match based on the strong crowd showing in the friendly v Scotland?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #382 on: November 08, 2012, 09:09:05 AM »
Think the short list for US sites:  Washington DC, Salt Lake, Chicago, KC, Columbus, Hartford, J'Ville, Nashville

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #383 on: November 08, 2012, 09:13:07 AM »
As far as home dates, I would put money down that Mexico will be in Columbus. Either Costa Rica or Honduras will be in Kansas City, the other most likely in Salt Lake City.

The last two, Jamaica and Panama, will probably go to larger population centers. Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Houston, Chicago, New York, Phoenix, Boston, Washington DC, and Tampa will be in the running. If I had to guess, I'd say Jamaica would go to Los Angeles and Panama to Philly.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #384 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:16 PM »
I went to the last game in Columbus vs Jamaica.  That would be some atmosphere against Mexico!  Didn't they play them there last time in the hex?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #385 on: November 08, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2012, 07:41:08 AM »
It is?

Was just joshing, took your comment and jokingly thought that you would specifically stay off the METRA b/c of Hondurans.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2012, 09:18:12 AM »
I went to the last game in Columbus vs Jamaica.  That would be some atmosphere against Mexico!  Didn't they play them there last time in the hex?

We are 3-0 against Mexico in WC qualifiers at Columbus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:09 AM »
Was just joshing, took your comment and jokingly thought that you would specifically stay off the METRA b/c of Hondurans.

Well, maybe that's exactly what I was saying.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
Well, maybe that's exactly what I was saying.

I knew it!!!!!  I always thought your rage was more directed at Panamanians?  Thinking they are all fancy with their canal. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »
I knew it!!!!!  I always thought your rage was more directed at Panamanians?  Thinking they are all fancy with their canal. 

Don't even get me started on that unnatural carnal knowledgeing canal. If it wasn't for Teddy Roosevelt...

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #392 on: February 06, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »
puke. terrible game today. honduras dominated the 2nd half.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #393 on: February 06, 2013, 11:10:53 PM »
puke. terrible game today. honduras dominated the 2nd half.

Thanks to Panama and Jamaica, it doesn't hurt that much.

The back four has to be better. They were pathetic.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #394 on: February 06, 2013, 11:27:37 PM »
We look lost without Donovan. The team had seemingly no plan or organization going forward. No one truly playing the right wing, and even at the end there just didn't seem to be much sense of urgency, as though settling for a 1-goal loss was okay. Really not sure what the plan was today, but JK looked out of his depth.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #395 on: February 07, 2013, 05:44:11 AM »
We look lost without Donovan. The team had seemingly no plan or organization going forward. No one truly playing the right wing, and even at the end there just didn't seem to be much sense of urgency, as though settling for a 1-goal loss was okay. Really not sure what the plan was today, but JK looked out of his depth.

Just watched it.  Great goal by demp.  Wow was the defending terrible including Howard on the goal.  Agree I just did not see a sense of urgency.  Need LD

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #396 on: February 07, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »
Just watched it.  Great goal by demp.  Wow was the defending terrible including Howard on the goal.  Agree I just did not see a sense of urgency.  Need LD

Howard is fine, but he needs center halves who have some sort of cohesion. If it's up to him to organize them, so be it. But they were a mess yesterday. Jones/Edu need to provide better cover as well.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #397 on: February 07, 2013, 09:03:51 AM »
Howard is fine, but he needs center halves who have some sort of cohesion. If it's up to him to organize them, so be it. But they were a mess yesterday. Jones/Edu need to provide better cover as well.

I actually think Howard was at fault for the winner. Torn between staying home and coming out leaves no certainty for your defender though considering it was the 81st perhaps a slip-up such as that should never come to be.

Klinsy is fine. He's playing around. And has been since the beginning. He knows it's a virtual lock to qualify. Everything he does is with the idea of seeing what they're capable of in Brazil for those first three games.

I'm also not sure why a player such as Donovan who is not shy in saying he has little desire to play is being pegged as the one to solve multiple issues including breeding a new line of defense and integrating multi-nationals to the Central America hell hole.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #398 on: February 07, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Klinsy is fine. He's playing around. And has been since the beginning. He knows it's a virtual lock to qualify. Everything he does is with the idea of seeing what they're capable of in Brazil for those first three games.

That's a more positive spin than anything I have seen. 

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #399 on: February 07, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »
I actually think Howard was at fault for the winner. Torn between staying home and coming out leaves no certainty for your defender though considering it was the 81st perhaps a slip-up such as that should never come to be.

I'm also not sure why a player such as Donovan who is not shy in saying he has little desire to play is being pegged as the one to solve multiple issues including breeding a new line of defense and integrating multi-nationals to the Central America hell hole.

Regarding the winner, I was really disappointed with the center halves, as neither Cameron nor Gonzales put in challenges on their men despite being in position to do so. The defense was questionable all day, but the midfield didn't do much to maintain possession to lessen any of that pressure.

I agree JK is playing around, but I'm not sure he's fine. We aren't even close to being a lock to qualify. Imagine where we'll be in a nightmare scenario of drawing Costa Rica and losing at Mexico in the next two. 1 point from the first 3 matches while staring at a trip to Jamaica where we just lost last year and against a team that took a point out of the Azteca? We probably need 16-17 points to assure a place in Brazil, and if we suddenly need to win 5 of our remaining 6 just to avoid a playoff with CONMEBOL it's very possible we could end up missing out altogether. The Hex isn't nearly as friendly as it was a few years ago, The Central American teams are starting to play some good football and know the strategy to compete with the USA and Mexico.

And while this may just be rumors, I've heard that LD may not be too fond of Klinsmann. The problem with not having him is that without him we have virtually no offensive creativity. Guys like Bradley and Dempsey are solid and skilled, but they aren't very creative. Neither will create something out of nothing the way Donovan can. The only other guy that's been in the mix of late to really display any true creativity is Brek Shea. Yesterday Jermaine Jones was playing on the right wing. Jermaine Jones. He is not a winger, he doesn't have the pace, the dribbling skills, or the guile to play out there. Yesterday's formation started to convince me that Klinsmann is a carpenter that doesn't know how to use his tools. Jones is a hammer, that position is one where you need a screwdriver. Eddie Johnson isn't exactly a winger either, yet he's out there. While he's our top goal threat and had a cracker yesterday, Dempsey would be much better suited out there. Just not impressed with California Klinsy.