[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802927 times)

Bocephys

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #325 on: August 07, 2012, 11:25:45 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #326 on: August 07, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
It was a great game.   It is the first time during this olympics that I have actually felt interested in what I was watching.   And yes, the USA team benefitted from some weak calls.   Canada has a right to whine.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #327 on: August 07, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
The ref kept her cards in her pocket too long and swallowed her whistle on a number of occasions for both sides. It looked like it benefited the Canadians more because the US is a stronger, more physical team. But the calls went both ways.

The indirect free kick call was questionable and surprising, though the penalty that ensued from it was clear-cut. If the Canadians didn't want a penalty conceded, keep your hands down and stay on your line.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #328 on: August 07, 2012, 12:52:54 PM »
The ref kept her cards in her pocket too long and swallowed her whistle on a number of occasions for both sides. It looked like it benefited the Canadians more because the US is a stronger, more physical team. But the calls went both ways.

The indirect free kick call was questionable and surprising, though the penalty that ensued from it was clear-cut. If the Canadians didn't want a penalty conceded, keep your hands down and stay on your line.

Exactly this.  Calls go against both teams... and officials aren't perfect.  Trancedi was borderline abusive the entire game and didn't even draw a yellow.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #329 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »
Exactly this.  Calls go against both teams... and officials aren't perfect.  Trancedi was borderline abusive the entire game and didn't even draw a yellow.

Including stomping on Carli Lloyd's head. A shove in Morgan's back that could have been a penalty. Elbows at Wambach every time she went up for a header. The Canadians have no room to bitch about it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2012, 02:11:58 PM »
I never realized chick futbol was this popular, is it more competitive than the WNBA?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #331 on: August 07, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »
Including stomping on Carli Lloyd's head. A shove in Morgan's back that could have been a penalty. Elbows at Wambach every time she went up for a header. The Canadians have no room to bitch about it.

During the match, I thought the biggest talking point after would be the official allowing Tancredi to remain in the game during the extra period. Tancredi did just about all she could to get a second booking.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #332 on: August 08, 2012, 01:43:26 PM »
I got a chance to watch the second half and all of extra time. An exciting game, to be sure, but certainly lacking on the defensive ends.

I didn't hear about/see the head stomp until today - Tancredi does her best impression of Detroit's Suh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ggsT2HWkc&feature=player_embedded 

The handball call, while rare, was completely fair and within the laws of the game. Like someone else said, if you don't want it called, keep your hands down. I also thought it hit off two players' hands which warranted the call for sure.

I've never seen the GK rule called in a game. Guess it was more obvious to the players on the field http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/2012/soccer/story/_/id/8244353/2012-summer-olympics-abby-wambach-drew-ref-attention-canadian-gk

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #333 on: August 18, 2012, 10:06:42 AM »
My 2012-13 EPL Predictions:

1. United
2. City
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. Newcastle

18. Southampton
19. Norwich
20. Wigan

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #334 on: August 18, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »
Curious to see where Dempsey ends up.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #335 on: August 18, 2012, 04:37:10 PM »
My 2012-13 EPL Predictions:

1. City
2. Chel$ki
3. United
4. Arsenal
5. Spurs
6. Reading

18. Norwich
19. Swansea
20. West Brom

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #336 on: August 18, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »

Please don't bring this up during college basketball season, ESP after losses! Lol
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #337 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:18 PM »
I love watching City. Love, love, love. I get why people hate them, but over here, let's be honest. 95% of American fans of the Premiership are glory-hunters, picking one of United, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool. So why not pick City? They're just as viable a glory-hunting side as any, and they are much more fun to watch than any of the others.

I'm not a City fan, I support Reading. But I sure am thankful for City. By far the most entertaining side in the history of the Premiership.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #338 on: August 20, 2012, 08:49:47 AM »
I love watching City. Love, love, love. I get why people hate them, but over here, let's be honest. 95% of American fans of the Premiership are glory-hunters, picking one of United, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool. So why not pick City? They're just as viable a glory-hunting side as any, and they are much more fun to watch than any of the others.

I'm not a City fan, I support Reading. But I sure am thankful for City. By far the most entertaining side in the history of the Premiership.

Yeah, if you started following the Premier League 72 hours ago.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #339 on: August 20, 2012, 12:50:12 PM »
Yeah, if you started following the Premier League 72 hours ago.

Nice.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2012, 09:24:08 PM »
For my bachelor party, my buddies and I went down to Columbus for the USA/Jamaica World Cup Qualifier last night. Great atmosphere and had an absolute blast in Columbus, that city really surprised me at how large it is, how nice the downtown area is, and that they can actually draw a pro-USA crowd to an international match. Anyway, here's the video of the goal from the cheap seats:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5K8kKd0Fty8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5K8kKd0Fty8</a>

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #341 on: September 14, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »
For my bachelor party, my buddies and I went down to Columbus for the USA/Jamaica World Cup Qualifier last night. Great atmosphere and had an absolute blast in Columbus, that city really surprised me at how large it is, how nice the downtown area is, and that they can actually draw a pro-USA crowd to an international match. Anyway, here's the video of the goal from the cheap seats:

Me and my buddy were in the American Outlaws section.  I agree, Columbus was a great city to host that game.  If they play there next year for the final round, I will definitely try to attend.

caltruda

« Reply #342 on: October 09, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Thought I'd give the thread a bump with the last two qualifiers coming up this week. Little bit of nerves considering the U.S. needs probably four points to reach the final hexagonal, and the pissing match between Klinsmann and Altidore (name me a 22-year-old that isn't headstrong, and yes, he didn't play well in the last two US matches, but the guy has eight goals in eight matches in league play) to the point he left him off the roster is a little unsettling.

That said, Donovan and Bradley are back, which will make the U.S. much stronger up the middle than it was in the two matches versus Jamaica. And lastly, speaking of Jamaica, can someone tell me WHY Beckerman is on the roster after the crapshow he produced in Kingston?!?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #343 on: October 09, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »
Thought I'd give the thread a bump with the last two qualifiers coming up this week. Little bit of nerves considering the U.S. needs probably four points to reach the final hexagonal, and the pissing match between Klinsmann and Altidore (name me a 22-year-old that isn't headstrong, and yes, he didn't play well in the last two US matches, but the guy has eight goals in eight matches in league play) to the point he left him off the roster is a little unsettling.

That said, Donovan and Bradley are back, which will make the U.S. much stronger up the middle than it was in the two matches versus Jamaica. And lastly, speaking of Jamaica, can someone tell me WHY Beckerman is on the roster after the crapshow he produced in Kingston?!?

Donovan is injured as is Brek, so not sure how much time they'll see on the field. Interesting inclusions with Gordon and EJ up front. As for Altidore... I'm not sure, honestly. Maybe Jurgen thinks this will light a fire under Jozy and he'll be invited for the second game (guatemala). If I had to guess, I'd say a 4-1-3-2 with howard, johnson-boca/goodson-cameron-cherundolo, williams, jones-bradley-zusi/shea, gomez-dempsey.

Altidore story: http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2012/10/klinsmann-discusses-altidores-absence-from-usmnt-roster.html#more

caltruda

« Reply #344 on: October 09, 2012, 05:06:48 PM »
Donovan ruled out due to the knee injury suffered this weekend, and Shea also ruled out. That may make it a 4-2-3-1 with Edu and Jones holding midfielders (which puts Jones 50/50 of getting a second yellow on a rash challenge that will rule him out of the Guatemala match). Curious to see if Klinsi lets Dempsey and Gomez run off each other with Bradley and Zusi serving as playmakers. This team got a huge break with how the schedule broke out for these last two matchdays.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #345 on: October 09, 2012, 06:37:01 PM »
Donovan ruled out due to the knee injury suffered this weekend, and Shea also ruled out. That may make it a 4-2-3-1 with Edu and Jones holding midfielders (which puts Jones 50/50 of getting a second yellow on a rash challenge that will rule him out of the Guatemala match). Curious to see if Klinsi lets Dempsey and Gomez run off each other with Bradley and Zusi serving as playmakers. This team got a huge break with how the schedule broke out for these last two matchdays.

I still see a 4-1-3-2. Either way, I think Danny Williams gets the nod over edu due to 1. Edu lack p of playing time at the club level and 2. Jk seems to picture edu as a back line guy more than in the middle

jesmu84

• All American

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #347 on: October 10, 2012, 09:57:20 PM »
No Altidore or Boyd, continuing to leave Chandler out, now not calling replacements for Donovan and Shea? Klinsy better know what he's doing. If we don't qualify for the Hexagonal, he should be fired before the clock strikes midnight on Tuesday.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #348 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »
No Altidore or Boyd, continuing to leave Chandler out, now not calling replacements for Donovan and Shea? Klinsy better know what he's doing. If we don't qualify for the Hexagonal, he should be fired before the clock strikes midnight on Tuesday.

Altidore has struggled under Klinsmann. No shock he wasn't called in with his spotty training attitude. As for Chandler, it's all been his decision to stall on the US until this week. I'm surprised people are surprised Klinsmann didn't call him in.

Qualification above anything but I'm taken aback by the sudden charge of football brains since Klinsmann has been brought in to transform an entire Federation that had serious deficiencies for quite some time.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #349 on: October 11, 2012, 09:20:30 AM »
Normally I would agree that the criticism seems a bit extreme, but his selections for these 2 EXTREMELY important qualifiers were not just bad, they were embarrassing. It goes beyond leaving Altidore (those two obviously have some bad blood) or Chandler (there's only so many times you can get spurned before you finally stop trying) out, it's who he brought in.

Every single fan knew Brek would not be able to play, yet he was called in. Donovan may have oversold his health, but not having a replacement ready is inexcusable. Then to not call Lichaj when your two LBs will be unable to play (Johson has the flu and Castillo picked up a knock in practice) is just strange. Now they face two crucial games without true wingers or left backs.

All of that put together is what makes this situation so frustrating. Sure Gordon and EJ are good in the air, but what's the point if there's no one to cross the ball to them. Altidore may not be at top form with the Nats, but his goal scoring prowess in Holland should count for something. Same for Wondo, who as limited in talent as he may be, is head over heels better than EJ or Gordon.

They should still advance, but facing must win games with a B team will never endear a coach to its fans.   

feedback