collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802015 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #300 on: May 08, 2012, 02:45:53 PM »

Well, I got 2 out of 4 on the Champions League...maybe 3 but only if Chelsea wins.  Completely wrong on Liverpool. 

Was wrong not to trust Newcastle.  Was right not to trust Villa.

Got one of the three on the relegation side.

All and all, a pretty poor effort on my part.

Speaking of Newcastle

Anybody happen to see this goal from Cisse? 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aemXG-jA2tk&feature=related
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #301 on: May 08, 2012, 03:09:28 PM »

Well, I got 2 out of 4 on the Champions League...maybe 3 but only if Chelsea wins.  Completely wrong on Liverpool. 

Was wrong not to trust Newcastle.  Was right not to trust Villa.

Got one of the three on the relegation side.

All and all, a pretty poor effort on my part.

You were spot on with Blackburn getting relegated.  The fans were getting a little rowdy after their loss to Wigan, but they wouldn't get their coaches or players off of the pitch!  Blackburn played like they were hungover the entire game.  If I was a fan I would have been pissed too.

How about Wigan though?  They finished the season pretty strong for being crappy this year :)

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #302 on: May 08, 2012, 03:25:15 PM »
Moved from Indy to Chicago around Thanksgiving. Then bought Chicago Fire season tickets with my MU roommate. It's been a GREAT purchase - fantastic atmosphere at toyota park, semi-decent soccer, good prices, 80% of games are on saturdays/sundays, excellent season ticket holder specials (discounts on concessions, merchandise, free parking, etc). Totally worth it and I'd encourage anyone in the area to do the same
I wish I could join you, but...

Fock Bridgeview.  I had season tickets at Soldier Field.  Now I take in 1 or two matches in Madigan-ville.  I won't get over it because each time I go I'm reminded how the Fire alienated its strong Chicago fanbase.  Its sad, because I miss it.  But its far too inconvenient.   Ironically, the easiest time I had getting to the park was when I took my bike from the west loop to a game.  Driving there is awful (from 55 at Harlem) and there is no reasonable mass transit option.

At the matches, its ok.  I've had fun a few times and the tailgating really made it.  But inside they make it out to be some half-a$$ WWE spectacle with fireworks, t-shirts from canons, and all sort of other kitsch.  Great for anyone under 10, but tantamount to trip to Chuck E Cheese. 

Sorry for the whining, but the move to Bridgeview is to me unforgivable.

Have they finished adding the other half of the electronic boards? 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #303 on: May 13, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »
BTW, that may have been the most compelling ending to a sporting event that I have seen in a long time today.  My goodness, the switch in emotions was incredible.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2012, 01:43:33 PM »
I got Chelsea today. Not a Blues fan, but when I'm a neutral and Chelsea's in a final, I always cheer for them in honor of my friend Evan, a rabid Chelsea fan who died a few years ago many years before his time. Helps that Ryan Bertrand, a former Reading FC player, is in the starting XI for Chelsea. Let's go, Blues!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #305 on: May 23, 2012, 08:49:27 AM »
ANyone attending USMNT v Scotland this saturday in Jacksonville?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #306 on: May 24, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »

I'm trying to attend the qualifier vs. Antigua in Tampa and then head down to Guatemala for the one a few days later. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone to go with who wants to make the financial commitment

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #307 on: May 27, 2012, 02:50:14 AM »

One of the most dominating American performances in recent memory. A joy to watch.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #308 on: May 27, 2012, 06:35:45 AM »
Was awesome in person as well.  Great crowd.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #309 on: May 27, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
Amazing performance. Obviously Donovan deserves the accolades with a hat trick, assist, and the entry pass on the other goal, but the entire team looked solid. Still, big difference between Scotland and Brazil. Looking forward to Wednesday.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #310 on: May 27, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
Amazing performance. Obviously Donovan deserves the accolades with a hat trick, assist, and the entry pass on the other goal, but the entire team looked solid. Still, big difference between Scotland and Brazil. Looking forward to Wednesday.

It was fantastic.  I go back n forth if Torres should be starting or not....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #311 on: May 27, 2012, 10:20:08 AM »
After watching the highlights again, I'm still in awe. Yes, it was Scotland, but the US was also without guys like Altidore and Dempsey.

What was great about it was after all those less than inspiring friendlies last year, you could see what Klinsmann is putting in place. Loved the way they built up from the back, through the central midfield. Bradley and Jones were rampant. Good to see them clinical in front of goal as well.

So refreshing after years of 4-4-2, long ball after long ball, and getting overrun in midfield. Will be interested to see how they approach Brazil on Wednesday.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #312 on: May 30, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
Much better test tonight.  We'll get a better idea of how the team can execute Klingmann's vision against Brazil.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #313 on: May 30, 2012, 08:02:12 PM »
First Half Thoughts:
-Brazil is UNBELIEVABLE in their defensive pressure all over the field
-Handball was terrible call.
-Fabian Johnson is going to be a stud (where will Jurgen put Lichaj when he's back to 100%?)
-Dolo, Gooch and Boca CANNOT be in our starting lineup for the next WC
-Michael Bradley keeps improving in every national team game he plays in - fantastic ball he played on the goal

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #314 on: May 30, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »
 I think we have a ways to go.  Defense was shoddy and possession was spotty.  Of course, Brazil had a lot to do with both.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #315 on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
Gooch looked to be a step (or 2) slow the entire match. 

I did love dempsey's chirp chirp to a Brazil player whose name I can't remember. 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

reinko

• All American
« Reply #316 on: June 12, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »
Big USMNT against Guatamela tonight, hopefully I can find a free stream online, if I do, I will post.

Anyone watching the Euro's, my French looked solid yesterday against an England team that dug themselves into a bunker after scoring.  Still think Portugal has the talent to advance, and Croatia looked awesome the other day against the Irish.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #317 on: June 12, 2012, 03:57:59 PM »
Big USMNT against Guatamela tonight, hopefully I can find a free stream online, if I do, I will post.

Anyone watching the Euro's, my French looked solid yesterday against an England team that dug themselves into a bunker after scoring.  Still think Portugal has the talent to advance, and Croatia looked awesome the other day against the Irish.

For those in MKE, The Highbury has picked up the PPV feed tonight. Head on down there and thank Joe the owner by buying a couple drinks.

This has been a great tournament thus far. Shevchenko's performance yesterday in Kiev was stirring. Poland-Russia was a fantastic game. Interestingly enough, the matches that provided the most intrigue on paper have been a little flat. Spain and Italy only picked up after Fabregas scored. Germany-Netherlands should be good, since the Dutch have to go for it.

Saturday in Group A should be a blast. All four teams are still alive, and the matches will be played simultaneously.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #318 on: June 12, 2012, 04:15:01 PM »

Anyone watching the Euro's, my French looked solid yesterday against an England team that dug themselves into a bunker after scoring.  Still think Portugal has the talent to advance, and Croatia looked awesome the other day against the Irish.

Thanks to ESPN3, and my ability to be in front of a computer at work all day, i've seen every match on the weekdays. it's been a great tourney so far. Anyone else notice the refs are really letting them play? - not calling many flops/bad fouls.

I think Russia looked good in their first match. The host countries have played well thus far, adding more excitement to the tourney.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #319 on: June 14, 2012, 09:12:05 AM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #320 on: June 14, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
Any guesses how many goals Spain will put up today against Ireland?  Set the over/under 4.5.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #321 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
Any guesses how many goals Spain will put up today against Ireland?  Set the over/under 4.5.

Over half of their 2010 World Cup total in one game?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »
Guys, if you didn't see it, the USA/Canada Women's Olympic Semifinal today was quite possibly the best ever football match I've seen in my life. Watched it at Highbury with about 25 other fans and the atmosphere was the best I've seen for a women's match, including the WC Final last year. And the game...it was simply stunningly good. Punch, counter-punch, Kristine Sinclair had one of the most impressive individual performances I've ever seen, with Megan Rapinoe doing her best to match her at every turn.

I'd consider it also one of the best games of any sport, any level, I've ever seen period. I could gush about that game all day long, it was fantastic. If you have a chance to see a replay, do it. Absolutely brilliant sport at the highest possible level.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #323 on: August 06, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
Absolutely agree... Ref let them play and it was fantatstic. Sinclair was phenominal and almost singlehandedly beat the US side.
Rapinoe and Morgan led the red,white and blue with all out efforts for the entire 120 minutes of non-stop high quality competition.
Bet match I have seen in person or on T.V.  and have been to  Women's World Cup

GGGG

• All American

feedback