collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802165 times)

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #275 on: October 20, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
Article from the Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204485304576641102046309850.html?mod=djemITP_h

Say what you will about the rankings, but its clear that Klinsmann is bent on rebuilding a stronger team for many years.  That strategy is likely to cost us wins along the way.  If Plan-K works, we will be far better off than with the slugs who still think Donovan is the FUTURE.  WC Qualifying is really all that matters right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #276 on: October 20, 2011, 05:47:11 PM »
I don't care about the rankings, I just don't want him to be myopic with picks. Tim Ream has no business on this team. Giving him a chance is fine, but he had it. Omar Gonzalez deserves the same chance. If Gonzalez isn't in the MLS playoffs, there's no excuse for him not being called to the next camp in November. And even if LA is in the semifinals on Nov. 9, I still say put him on the list. If they don't make the final, have him fly over to play against France, or at least Slovenia.

This guy is ready now, and might be our best central defender, yet hasn't been called up once. I know it's a long-term process, but losing out on a guy who could be an anchor for our next two World Cup squads is not wise. Didn't we already do that once with Subotic? No need for history to repeat itself again.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2011, 11:05:12 PM »
Fox and Telemundo get the TV rights for the 2018 and 2022 world cups. Good or bad for footy in America? Figured readers of this thread would have some good opinions on this.

I think this is terrible for MLS and the Nats. I don't think ESPN will have the incentive to put as much into the MLS as it already has, while getting relegated to Versus or FSC pretty much ensures it remains a 3rd tier sport. Gah, I loved the amount of time and resources ESPN gave the USMNT lately as well. I still see them picking up big games against Mexico or whatnot, but this does not bode well for growing the sport.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #278 on: October 23, 2011, 06:12:24 AM »
I don't like that it seems Fox is dominating the soccer scene. While I love FSC and what they have done for the sport, I just don't think a monopoly is any good. I hope that ESPN continues to be the flagship for the USMNT and keeps getting rights to EPL games, simply because competition is good for the sport.

Also, I really hope FSC starts getting carried more broadly. It'd require some mental gymnastics to figure out how to get through all the red tape that surrounds the cable deal our condo complex has that allows only TW Basic (and thus no FSC). Don't get me wrong, I will have FSC for the World Cup, but I wouldn't be happy if I was paying an extra $100 a month for the privilege.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #279 on: January 27, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
Thought I would bring this back, with Lando and Clint taking each other on in the FA Cup this afternoon.

COYB.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
Totally forgot we had this thread...

1. USA Women's team DOMINATING the concacaf olympic qualifying. 31-0 in three games. that's incredible.

2. Anyone have thoughts on USA men vs. Venezuela or Panama?

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
1.  As long as Carly Lloyd and Shannon Boxx form the literal center of this team, we ain't going "uptown," baby.  Too slow, not enough ball handling skills.  Retire, ladies, please.

2.  Who are these people Jk is bringing into the team?  Why?  Is he planning a major overhaul?  Not sure second-rate Bundesliga players are the wave of the future.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #282 on: January 27, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »
1.  As long as Carly Lloyd and Shannon Boxx form the literal center of this team, we ain't going "uptown," baby.  Too slow, not enough ball handling skills.  Retire, ladies, please.

2.  Who are these people Jk is bringing into the team?  Why?  Is he planning a major overhaul?  Not sure second-rate Bundesliga players are the wave of the future.

1. Agree. Boxx was awful and a detriment in the last WC.

2. This time is always used for bringing in guys to give them their first shot at some national team time.  also, Klinnsman is looking for people for the olympics. Also, the olympics only allows players under the age of 23, with 3 players allowed over 23, for soccer. so, he's gotta find some young talent to take with him. Thought some of the guys looked good - Zusi, Jones (played outstanding both games), Rimando, Lloyd and Sapong. With Cameron and Parkhurst playing better than they have before.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2012, 11:56:57 PM »
Field farries
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #284 on: January 31, 2012, 08:22:42 AM »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #285 on: January 31, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »

1) I don't mind Lloyd, but she's streaky.  When she's on, she is dangerous, but she'll be off and its all lost possessions and rockets well over the net.

2) Are second-rate Bundesliga players any worse than top MLS players with the exception of a few?  I much prefer players with international experience, at least at the club level, because it more mirrors what they will see playing for the USMNT.  And as others have said, its more an audition than a full call up.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #286 on: January 31, 2012, 09:50:57 AM »
As an Evertonian, I am bummed Donovan won't sign for more than a 8 week spell.  He clearly has showed he can play at the EPL level (today's game against City should be a great test).

Curious where Dempsey will go, as is contract is up, and has said he wants to play in the Champions League.  Possibly Germany or France?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2012, 10:49:45 AM »
http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2012/02/Klinsmann-Names-US-Roster-for-Italy.aspx

Lots of international born players selected for this. Should be a great test. Love the Boyd selection (even if he doesn't see the field)

No Brek for this camp. I think that's a first. Also no Agudelo. Interesting choices.

Q & A with Klinsmann

http://www.ussoccer.com/Social/MNT-Blog.aspx
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:57:41 AM by socrplar125 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
Curious where Dempsey will go, as is contract is up, and has said he wants to play in the Champions League.  Possibly Germany or France?

If Garreth Bale leaves Tottenham at the end of the year, could Dempsey take his place?

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #289 on: February 24, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »

If Garreth Bale leaves Tottenham at the end of the year, could Dempsey take his place?

Doubtful. Spurs would likely look for a player would likely look at someone like Lucas Podolski before Dempsey, though with a Champions League place all but wrapped up and the strong position they took with Modric last summer, I don't see them losing Bale. In all honesty, I don't see Dempsey as a better option than guys like Kranjcar and Tottenham have a good deal of promising youth loaned out to other Premiership and Championship sides that could fill the void.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2012, 07:40:39 AM »
Doubtful. Spurs would likely look for a player would likely look at someone like Lucas Podolski before Dempsey, though with a Champions League place all but wrapped up and the strong position they took with Modric last summer, I don't see them losing Bale. In all honesty, I don't see Dempsey as a better option than guys like Kranjcar and Tottenham have a good deal of promising youth loaned out to other Premiership and Championship sides that could fill the void.

Dempsey is highly thought of and it wouldn't be a shock where he landed.

The bigger key is likely Redknapp. What happens to spuds when he bolts for the England job? There's already a belief that Modric has agreed a move to Chelsea in the summer. Van de Vaart is a known bouncer around. That defense is aged a bit. And up top their best option is loanee.

Wouldn't be that surprising if Bale decides now is the time to jump ship.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #291 on: February 25, 2012, 01:48:14 PM »
Dempsey is highly thought of and it wouldn't be a shock where he landed.

The bigger key is likely Redknapp. What happens to spuds when he bolts for the England job? There's already a belief that Modric has agreed a move to Chelsea in the summer. Van de Vaart is a known bouncer around. That defense is aged a bit. And up top their best option is loanee.

Wouldn't be that surprising if Bale decides now is the time to jump ship.

Modric has said if ManUre come calling, he'd go there before Chelsea. He's interested in winning trophies as well as the pay raise. Levy is a very intelligent Chairman and will do what he can to keep the current crop of players, but I agree with you that whomever replaces Redknapp if he does take the England job has a load of work.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #292 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:40 PM »
Modric has said if ManUre come calling, he'd go there before Chelsea. He's interested in winning trophies as well as the pay raise. Levy is a very intelligent Chairman and will do what he can to keep the current crop of players, but I agree with you that whomever replaces Redknapp if he does take the England job has a load of work.
Joe Jordan could easily step up for at least a year following an exit by Harry.  What you really lose is Harry's eye for unknown talent.  Running the first team would not be out of the question for Jordan.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

It would seem the holes in Manchester would fit Modric much better but all these "experts" you read/hear on podcasts talk of one of those "wink, wink" deals last summer with Modric/Chelsea (similar to the one in 2010 between Arsenal and Barca over Cesc). Who really knows, right? This talk is always exaggerated.

I think Redknapp is a lock for England and, even with the rightful humbling spuds took today from the Arsenal, they seem to be locked into that 3rd spot for CL next year. It would clearly be an attractive option for any manager one would think.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
Luka should talk to Berbie.  Look how well he's doing these days.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7619038/landon-donovan-pulls-us-exhibition-vs-italy

Landon, Jermaine Jones, Timothy Chandler, Jose Torres out for Italy. Klejstan and Brek added to roster. Likely to add 2 more.

Sad to miss Landon and Clint playing together. Would like to have seen Jose's role as defined by Jurgen

reinko

• All American
« Reply #296 on: February 28, 2012, 11:44:59 AM »
This commercial is a giant bucket of awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVpHzPCXGNg&feature=youtu.be

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #297 on: April 26, 2012, 10:22:21 AM »
Moved from Indy to Chicago around Thanksgiving. Then bought Chicago Fire season tickets with my MU roommate. It's been a GREAT purchase - fantastic atmosphere at toyota park, semi-decent soccer, good prices, 80% of games are on saturdays/sundays, excellent season ticket holder specials (discounts on concessions, merchandise, free parking, etc). Totally worth it and I'd encourage anyone in the area to do the same
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:25:32 AM by jesmu84 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #298 on: May 08, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »

CHAMPIONS: ManU, ManC, Liverpool, Chelsea

EUROPA: My head says that Arsenal or Tottenham will manage to comeback to grab fifth.  Otherwise perhaps Stoke or Everton???  I just don't trust Villa or Newcastle.

RELEGATED: Blackburn, WBA, Swansea

Well, I got 2 out of 4 on the Champions League...maybe 3 but only if Chelsea wins.  Completely wrong on Liverpool. 

Was wrong not to trust Newcastle.  Was right not to trust Villa.

Got one of the three on the relegation side.

All and all, a pretty poor effort on my part.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #299 on: May 08, 2012, 02:14:10 PM »
All I care about is that my Reading team got promoted! Champions of the Championship and I can finally watch them compete in the EPL again. Here's hoping they can pull a Stoke and stick around for awhile this time.