collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801551 times)

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #225 on: July 29, 2011, 12:37:05 PM »
Kinda makes me wish they went after Low.

I see Klinsmann's primary value in terms of building the right system for US Soccer to be successful, much more than his technical coaching abilities.

Having said that about his coaching, to quote the Big Lead, "His record is open to criticism, though show me the American coach who has reached the semifinal of a World Cup or steered a European club to the Champions League."
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2011, 02:43:29 PM »
I see Klinsmann's primary value in terms of building the right system for US Soccer to be successful, much more than his technical coaching abilities.

Having said that about his coaching, to quote the Big Lead, "His record is open to criticism, though show me the American coach who has reached the semifinal of a World Cup or steered a European club to the Champions League."

The US looked disjointed and disinterested in each other throughout the Gold Cup. Klinsi is the kind of guy who can fix morale and the like which is why Troll Gulati finally got his balls out from under Bradley's desk and made this move.

Klinsi is the perfect choice because he appeases the split in the fanbase: those who wish to have an experienced and cultured football-lifer from a foreign land and those who wish to have someone that understands the uniquely backward US youth system.

I wonder if Gulati has turned the page or if their is a movement afoot to edge him out. Claudio Reyna gave a few interviews early in July talking about a one system country and how he is working to streamline it. This is what Klinsi wanted in 2006 and Gulati baulked. Perhaps he feels Reyna can be his safety net once he turns over the program to Klinsi.

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
This is a great pick up for the USMNT, I'm excited for his first game Aug. 10 against Mexico.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37:05 PM »
New Team USA discusses his vision, and plans---there is a lot to like here.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_/id/6823727/juergen-klinsmann-blueprint-success-soccer
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #229 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »
http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2011/08/Klinsmann-Calls-In-22-Players-to-Face-Mexico-on-Aug-10-in-Philadelphia.aspx

Klinsmann announces the roster for USA's match against Mexico:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C.United), Tim Howard (Everton)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Edgar Castillo (Club America), Timmy Chandler (FC Nürnberg), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover 96), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Michael Orozco Fiscal (San Luis), Heath Pearce (Chivas USA), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls)

MIDFIELDERS (7): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Jermaine Jones (Schalke 04), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), José Torres (Pachuca)

FORWARDS (5): Freddy Adu (Benfica), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Edson Buddle (FC Ingolstadt), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #230 on: August 04, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
Other than Ricardo Clark, I'm okay with this call-up. Some players are out due to club decisions (Jozy, Dempsey), while others are mid-season (Bedoya, Mixx, etc). Lots of Latin influence. Should be interesting line-ups on the field. Got a definite 4-3-3 feel to it.

I hope people relax about the friendly call-ups for the next year. Klinnsman will obviously just be trying out the squads and narrowing down the 60+ possible US players to 20 or so he's comfortable using on a consistent basis.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #231 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
Tough to say what exactly to make of this. A little surprised to see Hamid, but with Guzan and Yelldell trying to win jobs I imagine he's just giving one of the MLS guys a run-out to see what's there for the future. Glad it's a youngster. Can't wait to see Chandler, and he's going to the well on a few guys Bradley seemed to be leaving behind in Castillo, Orozco, and Pearce. In the midfield, glad to see Torres back, but not Beckerman. He's a fine MLS player but has never been impressive as an international. Up front...well, to say the least I'm surprised. Adu, Agudelo, Donovan, fine...but Beasley and Buddle? I think Demarcus' best days are about 5 years behind him, while Buddle is okay but just doesn't seem like a part of the team going forward. Would've rather seen Bunbury over either of them.

Still, it's change. This is definitely not Bob Bradley's roster. Can't wait for Wednesday!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2011, 03:17:42 PM »
Tough to say what exactly to make of this. A little surprised to see Hamid, but with Guzan and Yelldell trying to win jobs I imagine he's just giving one of the MLS guys a run-out to see what's there for the future. Glad it's a youngster. Can't wait to see Chandler, and he's going to the well on a few guys Bradley seemed to be leaving behind in Castillo, Orozco, and Pearce. In the midfield, glad to see Torres back, but not Beckerman. He's a fine MLS player but has never been impressive as an international. Up front...well, to say the least I'm surprised. Adu, Agudelo, Donovan, fine...but Beasley and Buddle? I think Demarcus' best days are about 5 years behind him, while Buddle is okay but just doesn't seem like a part of the team going forward. Would've rather seen Bunbury over either of them.

Still, it's change. This is definitely not Bob Bradley's roster. Can't wait for Wednesday!

I like it. Using our Mexican-American talents could go a long way. Timothy Chandler could be a key player for the USMNT going forward and we can't afford to let him sit any longer and let Germany sniff around. I'd also like to see Omar Gonzalez get some caps.

Agree about Beasley and Buddle.  But who knows, I'm okay with him just checking everyone out before he moves forward.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #233 on: August 04, 2011, 04:11:43 PM »
No Altidore still because of injury, or was he left off completely?

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #234 on: August 04, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
No Altidore still because of injury, or was he left off completely?

His emphasis has to be on getting acclimated to his new club (AZ Alkmaar) so he can maybe, you know, actually play for once.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #235 on: August 04, 2011, 06:32:06 PM »
His emphasis has to be on getting acclimated to his new club (AZ Alkmaar) so he can maybe, you know, actually play for once.

That was my guess. Jozy needs to get playing time, so like Guzan and Yelldell, he's probably better served fighting for a job than getting a cap.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #236 on: August 08, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »
Real Madrid just signed a 7 year old. This pretty ridiculous, who knows what this kid will be like when he is 16 which is when he might get to play.

http://news.yahoo.com/madrid-signs-7-old-argentine-prospect-leo-133646438.html
Bring back FFP!!!

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #237 on: August 08, 2011, 01:41:08 PM »
Real Madrid just signed a 7 year old. This pretty ridiculous, who knows what this kid will be like when he is 16 which is when he might get to play.

http://news.yahoo.com/madrid-signs-7-old-argentine-prospect-leo-133646438.html

It's not all that uncommon though, not sure why such a big deal has been made. It's not like he will be lining up with CR7 after his midday nap. Clubs sign youngsters to their academies all the time. They go to school, live and train there like any other prep school. If I'm not mistaken the real Leo was 11 or 12 when Barcelona "signed" him. Before that he was "signed" by his local team Rosario.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Thoughts on the game last night?  I don't have a great tactical eye but I though that the last half hour showed some very promising play.  Brek Shea, Agudelo, and Landon looked great in that stretch.  Also Robbie Rogers showed nice pace and energy.  I would have loved to see how he would have finished his run if he hadn't been taken to the ground when he was on the break.  Thought a few times we were going to pull out another late goal but for some slightly off-target passes and questionable calls (aforementioned Rogers run not being a red and Landon getting taken down in the box with no call).  Definitely a performance to build on.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »
I thought last night was positive, but it's tough to take much away from it, considering Klinsmann only has 10 days on the job. I liked the formation, I've been hoping for a 4-2-3-1 for awhile. It's very easy when you have wingers like Donovan, Dempsey, and Bedoya to shift that into a 4-3-3 attacking formation, but you don't overcommit most of the time.

I really liked moving Bradley up in more of an attacking role. He flourished in that kind of role in Holland. I thought our defense was good and looked quick. I do wish we had tried to hold the ball more. In the middle 30 minutes, we went too often for the killer long balls when possession would have helped us more. Still, our biggest need is a striker, and if not a true, legitimate goal-getting striker, then a center forward who can accept that their role is not to score but to hold up play and allow the wingers to do the finishing. Honestly, as much-maligned as he was, Brian Ching was great at that role. Never a finisher, but he wasn't asked to be. I'd rather have a Brian Ching type who knows his role than an Agudelo who tries to be aggressive and almost always wastes possession.

The final 30 minutes were brilliant, best play I've seen from us in awhile. Honestly, it's a travesty that we didn't see a red for the takedown on Rogers and didn't see at least one of the two penalties that should have been given (especially the second). Mexico definitely had the better of play for most of the first half and the early parts of the second, but I'd say we really held our own and probably deserved the win.

It's far too early to make any real assessment, but it's something to build on. I'm excited to see what Klinsmann does when he has all the European players available to him for the two September friendlies.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #240 on: August 11, 2011, 02:13:09 PM »
Never a finisher, but he wasn't asked to be. I'd rather have a Brian Ching type who knows his role than an Agudelo who tries to be aggressive and almost always wastes possession.

I like Agudelo.  I think he is creative up front, and given time, could be a very dangerous finisher for us.  He is incredibly young and given time he could be a star.

As cheesy as it is, I loved Klinsmann's energy.  He just kind of injected a charge into a team that looked listless and really matched well with the style he is trying to impress upon this team. 

I think this team shows alot of promise and the shake up will be good for the USMNT as a whole, no doubt.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #241 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:36 PM »
I thought last night was positive, but it's tough to take much away from it, considering Klinsmann only has 10 days on the job. I liked the formation, I've been hoping for a 4-2-3-1 for awhile. It's very easy when you have wingers like Donovan, Dempsey, and Bedoya to shift that into a 4-3-3 attacking formation, but you don't overcommit most of the time.

I really liked moving Bradley up in more of an attacking role. He flourished in that kind of role in Holland. I thought our defense was good and looked quick. I do wish we had tried to hold the ball more. In the middle 30 minutes, we went too often for the killer long balls when possession would have helped us more. Still, our biggest need is a striker, and if not a true, legitimate goal-getting striker, then a center forward who can accept that their role is not to score but to hold up play and allow the wingers to do the finishing. Honestly, as much-maligned as he was, Brian Ching was great at that role. Never a finisher, but he wasn't asked to be. I'd rather have a Brian Ching type who knows his role than an Agudelo who tries to be aggressive and almost always wastes possession.

The final 30 minutes were brilliant, best play I've seen from us in awhile. Honestly, it's a travesty that we didn't see a red for the takedown on Rogers and didn't see at least one of the two penalties that should have been given (especially the second). Mexico definitely had the better of play for most of the first half and the early parts of the second, but I'd say we really held our own and probably deserved the win.

It's far too early to make any real assessment, but it's something to build on. I'm excited to see what Klinsmann does when he has all the European players available to him for the two September friendlies.

USA sucks in a 4-2-3-1. There are no legitimate target men in this country who can play on their own. The reason they were great in the last 25 minutes was because das German paired Shea and Agudelo with a roving Donovan eliminating the 3-1 on top.

Problem with Bradley last night is that he kept drifting back and taking possession off of Castillo/Cherundolo even though it was clear das German wanted him as the link up top. Bradley is very much a player in transition both for club and country. It'll be interesting to see where he lands club-wise and where Klinsi ends up having confidence in him.

Every striker is asked to be a finisher. Ching should never be back because of all the sitters he's missed in his career. Some of them were shocking. I'd much rather blood a youngster like Juan or Bunbury who has a pair of balls then the prototypical dopey MLS guy who can only score against second rate competition.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #242 on: August 11, 2011, 07:35:03 PM »
USA sucks in a 4-2-3-1. There are no legitimate target men in this country who can play on their own. The reason they were great in the last 25 minutes was because das German paired Shea and Agudelo with a roving Donovan eliminating the 3-1 on top.

I still think 4-2-3-1 is our best. It's versatile, lets us be defensive (which we're better at) and when we have our best players out there, shifts easily to offensive.

Problem with Bradley last night is that he kept drifting back and taking possession off of Castillo/Cherundolo even though it was clear das German wanted him as the link up top. Bradley is very much a player in transition both for club and country. It'll be interesting to see where he lands club-wise and where Klinsi ends up having confidence in him.

Agreed on Bradley. I like the position for him, but he seemed to still be in the Bob Bradley mindset of playing back. I've heard some rumors of him going to Fulham...might be good for him to play with Clint. I think Fulham would be good because they're willing to give Yanks a chance, if not, I'd like to see him at a low-level EPL club where he would be likely to get minutes.

Every striker is asked to be a finisher. Ching should never be back because of all the sitters he's missed in his career. Some of them were shocking. I'd much rather blood a youngster like Juan or Bunbury who has a pair of balls then the prototypical dopey MLS guy who can only score against second rate competition.

Ooh, sorry, you're dead wrong there. Well, you're wrong if you assume every central forward is a striker. There is a vastly different role between a central forward and a striker. We don't have any true strikers. There isn't a single USA forward that can be counted on to get goals regularly. I guess the last one you could count was McBride. But just because we don't have an Henry, a Van Nistelrooy, or a Shevchenko doesn't mean we don't have guys that can play effectively up front.

Look at Emile Heskey. The guy was never a goal-scorer, but England was undoubtedly a better team with him in the lineup, Wigan said they would only let him go for an "outrageous" offer (despite 15 goals in 82 appearances) and in general he had what would be considered a very successful club career despite a modest scoring record. But what Heskey did was make the team better. He was excellent at hold-up play, bringing guys like Young and Agbonlahor at Villa, or Rooney with the NT, into the play. He provided opportunities because of his smart and savvy play. Since McBride retired, Ching has been the best guy we had at this role. Conor Casey never embraced the role, while Eddie Johnson, Jozy Altidore, Robbie Findlay, and Edson Buddle have been given chances but seemed more interested in being scorers than center forwards.

We just don't have guys with the ability of being strikers. But we do have guys that can be center forwards. We have guys that can hold the ball and allow Donovan and Dempsey to come into the play. I realize that Brian Ching or a player like him will never be the sexy pick, but since McBride retired, he was the most effective center forward we had, mainly because he knew he wasn't a striker.

You can throw all the Agudelos, Bunburys, Wondolowskis, Gatts, or McInerneys you want at the team, but every time we try to make one of those guys into our next "striker" (see Johnson, Eddie or Altidore, Jozy) we end up with a guy who does less than he should with the talent he has and won't be willing to play a role in a system.

No one likes it, but we are a team that should be defensive and possession-oriented. We are a team that should have seven men (including the keeper) primarily committed to defending, and three more willing to drop back there at a moment's notice. And we are a team that should not try to manufacture a striker until we have someone who clearly has willingness and physical ability to play the center forward role shows they can also get goals (an RVN type).

If we had a single striker, I'd be all for playing them. But we don't have one. Not a single one. So until we do, we're better off finding someone willing to be a center forward and embracing the workmanlike role that a guy like Emile Heskey, or Brian Ching, was willing to play.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
Eh. You can parse it any way you like but there is no point in playing someone up top if you don't care whether they score. I'd also like to see a guy like Ching admit that he's not a striker. I'd like to see from the player where they admit they don't need to score to be effective. Where all they need to do is hold the ball and hand off to a non-scoring dominant position player so that they can be the finisher of the group.

This is the exact problem with the US system. We abide crap players up top and put abnormal pressure on wing players to finish games for us. Hell, the reason why Landon will go down as the highest scorer is 90% down to the US consistently playing donkeys like Ching. He might be the only American happy to see guys like Ching, Wondo, Buddle, etc. on the pitch.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #244 on: August 14, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
Eh. You can parse it any way you like but there is no point in playing someone up top if you don't care whether they score. I'd also like to see a guy like Ching admit that he's not a striker. I'd like to see from the player where they admit they don't need to score to be effective. Where all they need to do is hold the ball and hand off to a non-scoring dominant position player so that they can be the finisher of the group.

This is the exact problem with the US system. We abide crap players up top and put abnormal pressure on wing players to finish games for us. Hell, the reason why Landon will go down as the highest scorer is 90% down to the US consistently playing donkeys like Ching. He might be the only American happy to see guys like Ching, Wondo, Buddle, etc. on the pitch.

Well, I'm happy to admit I wish we had an Eto'o, an Aguero, a Shevchenko, or some other guy who can get the job done. But who do we have? Agudelo keeps his head down too much and is easy to push off his line, Altidore hasn't matched his potential, Eddie Johnson had a good goal run to start but fell apart...we just don't have that guy.

If we had someone to work with who could do the job, I'd support it. The problem is, we don't, so we have to work with what we do have. I look at our forward pool and see a huge void when it comes to getting goals. Until that changes, we need to utilize our CF to bring others into the play and allow guys like Donovan and Dempsey to do the scoring.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #245 on: August 15, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
Aguero had about as good of a debut as you could have for Man City.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:28 PM »
Aguero had about as good of a debut as you could have for Man City.

Agree, and even though it was against a team that will be relegated, it nonetheless showcased his scoring talents. At first I thought those who genuinely believed Man City could make a run at the title were crazy, but if Mancini realizes how potent his offense is and stops playing with two holding mids... watch out. They are for real.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »
How about Fabregas to Barca??!

Yikes, Real and the rest of UEFA might be in trouble the next 5 years.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »

Agree, and even though it was against a team that will be relegated, it nonetheless showcased his scoring talents. At first I thought those who genuinely believed Man City could make a run at the title were crazy, but if Mancini realizes how potent his offense is and stops playing with two holding mids... watch out. They are for real.

I felt the same way, and it looks like they'll get Nasri as well. If that happens outside of Barcelona IMO Man City has the best team in the world.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #249 on: August 16, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »
How about Fabregas to Barca??!

Yikes, Real and the rest of UEFA might be in trouble the next 5 years.

Real made 5 moves on new players too...but as a lifetime Real fan I have gotta swallow this hard and admit Barca is simply the best.

I was chatting with a friend in from London, who is a lifetime Liverpool fan, ...he said, and I agree..."Watching the elegant play of Barca, makes them everybody's second favorite team, to watch."
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

feedback