collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802107 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #200 on: July 27, 2011, 09:47:59 AM »
You befriended those guys? You must be a saint.

They pretty much keep me from going there during the season. Especially with three HD channels with the matches now. Not worth the annoyance.

Prior to the Man U-Chicago Fire, the RedEye here in Chicago (free morning paper) had a 2 page article on Man U supporters and their "diehard" fanship.  It was funny to read all these people basically attempted to create euphemisms for the fact that they are frontrunners.  If you are under 30, born and raised in the US, don't give me that crap about loving the history and pagentry of Man U.  Blah.

Another fun game, find a Man U fan that is a baseball fan as well and attempt to have him explain why rooting for Man U is any different than rooting for the Yankees.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #201 on: July 27, 2011, 10:16:01 AM »
Prior to the Man U-Chicago Fire, the RedEye here in Chicago (free morning paper) had a 2 page article on Man U supporters and their "diehard" fanship.  It was funny to read all these people basically attempted to create euphemisms for the fact that they are frontrunners.  If you are under 30, born and raised in the US, don't give me that crap about loving the history and pagentry of Man U.  Blah.

Another fun game, find a Man U fan that is a baseball fan as well and attempt to have him explain why rooting for Man U is any different than rooting for the Yankees.

I'm fine with being labeled a frontrunner.  All my teams here kinda suck, with the exception of the Packers.  But I started following United in 1991 (I was 6) when the old Sports Channel would show condensed games and highlights from the First Division.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #202 on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:31 AM »
You befriended those guys? You must be a saint.

They pretty much keep me from going there during the season. Especially with three HD channels with the matches now. Not worth the annoyance.

I think any of the traditional Big 4 are considered front-runners (Man U, Chelski, LFC, Gunners), but that might just be the minnow in me talking. The United fans at Highbury are mostly USA supporters (even the non-Americans) and we became close over years of traveling to Chicago together and 5 am call times for WC matches. I still get the occasional idiot who's like "you support Reading, man, you better watch it in here." As though there's a big MUFC/RFC rivalry that's the untold tale of English football. But for the most part, they aren't bad to me and respect that I've stuck with the Royals through relegation.

Of course, they can be a pain in the ass to other EPL supporters. Still makes no sense to me, who's a bigger glory hunter than a non-Manchester Manc?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #203 on: July 28, 2011, 02:35:08 PM »
Bob Bradley fired......Finally.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 02:39:01 PM by whodem »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #204 on: July 28, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
Bob Bradley fired......Finally. Replacement supposed to be announced tomorrow.

Wow, I definitely did not see that coming. Thought that he was safe after weathering the post-Gold Cup weeks. Here's hoping for a quality replacement.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #205 on: July 28, 2011, 02:59:29 PM »
I'll take a heaping spoonful on Klinsmann, please!  Dont' blow it this time Gulati.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #206 on: July 28, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »
Rumored to be Marcelo Lippi.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #207 on: July 28, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »
Rumored to be Marcelo Lippi.

not that i dont believe you, but do you have a link to an article? just interested in reading more. thanks!
But I like to throw handfuls...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #208 on: July 28, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
not that i dont believe you, but do you have a link to an article? just interested in reading more. thanks!

Oh my word that would be sexy.  Klinsmann is the hot name obviously, but Lippi would be legit too.  Hopefully he wouldn't go all Fabio Capello on us.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #209 on: July 28, 2011, 03:30:20 PM »

Andres Cantor tweeted it. Ives Galarcep(Fox Soccer) is saying though that he heard that Klinsman is the guy.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 03:37:41 PM by whodem »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #210 on: July 28, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
Twitter is abuzz with it. My money's on Klinsmann, though he wouldn't be my pick. I still think Jochim Low was more instrumental than Klinsmann on that 2006 team. I've also heard Lippi, Ancelotti, Dunga, and a cheeky David Moyes mention. My pick would be Lippi, but I expect California Klinsy.

For what it's worth, Gulati delayed a trip to South America after the announcement per Twitter to stay in California. Klinsy lives in Cali.

caltruda

« Reply #211 on: July 28, 2011, 04:27:04 PM »
I would really like to pass on Klinsmann. Dunga strikes me as too much like Bradley, the team doesn't lack tenaciousness, it lacks cohesion. Lippi seems the best choice among the names bandied about, but Ancelotti would also work since the primary issue with the US team this cycle is the back line.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #212 on: July 28, 2011, 04:31:14 PM »
Like soccer or not, this goal is friggin sick!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yilmHgZntsM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yilmHgZntsM</a>

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #213 on: July 28, 2011, 04:34:13 PM »
Chrissakes.  Klinsmann was brought up once, shoved in everyone's face, he turned it down, and yet he's the only name anyone ever mentions.  What did he do anyway?  Take an uber-talented German team to the semis?  Oh but he lives in LA?  Forget it.  Not only won't he, but he's not good for our MNT.  He has no ties to US soccer, won't develop our youth and does not know the US style.  Peter Nowak, Tab Ramos or Mike Sorber (all junior National Team coaches) are more likely.  Aw hell, I'll throw in Big Phil, Gus Hiddink and Sven-Goran.  That Lippi add-in above made me laugh.  Thanks.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #214 on: July 28, 2011, 04:40:16 PM »
Chrissakes.  Klinsmann was brought up once, shoved in everyone's face, he turned it down, and yet he's the only name anyone ever mentions.  What did he do anyway?  Take an uber-talented German team to the semis?  Oh but he lives in LA?  Forget it.  Not only won't he, but he's not good for our MNT.  He has no ties to US soccer, won't develop our youth and does not know the US style.  Peter Nowak, Tab Ramos or Mike Sorber (all junior National Team coaches) are more likely.  Aw hell, I'll throw in Big Phil, Gus Hiddink and Sven-Goran.  That Lippi add-in above made me laugh.  Thanks.

Isn't the US Style what's holding us back anyway?  I, for one, welcome our European soccer overlords.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #215 on: July 28, 2011, 07:16:04 PM »
Chrissakes.  Klinsmann was brought up once, shoved in everyone's face, he turned it down, and yet he's the only name anyone ever mentions.  What did he do anyway?  Take an uber-talented German team to the semis?  Oh but he lives in LA?  Forget it.  Not only won't he, but he's not good for our MNT.

It's pretty public that Klinsmann wanted the USA job in 2006, but he also wanted control over the youth levels, which Gulati wouldn't give him. I think he's probably the highest profile guy that really wants the job and he definitely would take it if the circumstances met his requirements. Considering what I've been seeing and hearing today, I'd be surprised if it wasn't Klinsmann.

But I agree about your "What did he do anyway?" question. Jogi Low has been the driving force behind Germany for 6-7 years now. Was Klinsmann every anything more than the dashing figurehead of Germany soccer? I don't know if he has anywhere near the tactical acumen we need...just look at what he did (or rather didn't) at Bayern.

He has no ties to US soccer, won't develop our youth and does not know the US style.

Absolutely false. This is the one place I support Klinsmann. He follows our program very closely, has been flirting with Gulati about this job for 5 years, and has definitive plans of how he wants to restructure our youth levels. I'm not saying he's the right choice, but these are even remotely correct as reasons not to hire him.

Peter Nowak, Tab Ramos or Mike Sorber (all junior National Team coaches) are more likely.  Aw hell, I'll throw in Big Phil, Gus Hiddink and Sven-Goran.  That Lippi add-in above made me laugh.  Thanks.

You haven't been following this at all, have you? Okay, Sorber's possible, but the consensus is that Gulati already has his guy lined up and is ready to make a big announcement tomorrow. Hiring an assistant or MLS guy just wouldn't be that high-profile move that he probably needs to save his own job. Big Phil I can't see, Guus is too expensive, and Eriksson would be a bad fit. But like I said, you clearly aren't following this if you think Lippi is impossible. Lippi just said that he would be interested in a national team again. Ives Galercep has him as second choice (behind Klinsy) and numerous other experts are touting Lippi as "the guy". I still don't believe it, but I'd honestly be more surprised by the hiring of an MLS guy than I would Lippi at this point.

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2011, 10:45:58 AM »
US Soccer Federation said something to the degree of, "It won't be a surprise who'll be hired" so I would say that Jurgen is the guy.

EDIT: It was a US Soccer Insider that said it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:49:14 AM by whodem »

Chili

• All American
« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2011, 10:47:50 AM »
Reports out its Klinsmann...also, the team is to be known as the ÜSMNT or üSMNT from now on.

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2011/07/jrgen_klinsmann_is_us_soccers.html

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
Reports out its Klinsmann...also, the team is to be known as the ÜSMNT or üSMNT from now on.

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2011/07/jrgen_klinsmann_is_us_soccers.html
But, will Klinsmann have total roster control or not?  That is what  scuttled the previous attempt to hire him.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2011, 11:21:03 AM »
But, will Klinsmann have total roster control or not?  That is what  scuttled the previous attempt to hire him.

From the Twitter:

GrantWahl
7 minutes ago from web
Official: Jürgen Klinsmann is the new coach of the U.S. men’s soccer team. He’ll have more control than any U.S. coach before him.

groove

« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2011, 11:24:24 AM »
great. hopefully we will also do away with those dumbass january friendlies that don't match up with the international schedule. I'm sick of B team friendlies filled with MLS players that have no business being anywhere near the national team.

Chili

• All American
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2011, 12:14:52 PM »
Here is a video from after World Cup '10 of what Klinsmann thinks the US Program needs to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07O6qsZT7lc&feature=player_embedded

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:38 PM »
Worth reading to get a feel for how Germany rebuilt its system.  It was a significant effort, and probably highlights why it's been such a sticking point in previous negotiations.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/raphael_honigstein/07/01/germany.reinvention/index.html
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #223 on: July 29, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »

So I will be eating my words.  Fair enough.  I thought the love affair was over and the media knew as little as me.  I stopped "following" each time Jurgen wa brought up.  Completely discounted it.

Though I stand by my comments on Klinsman
1)not havig ties and being ineffective with youth.  Has he been involved in ODP?   Flirting with Gulati doesn't count for anything.  
2) An MLS or JNT coach would be more likely.  I threw those other names in there sarcastically as they are always mentioned for openings in the rest of the world regardless.  Perhaps I should have used teal.  
3) US style is fine.  Its the defensive (lack thereof) half that has cost us.  We simply havent had the players (injury, age) to consistently meet the standards.  We've been playing weak defenses rather than the "linebackers" which teams have feared.  We will always have a quick-paced forward line and our wings have generally been able-bodied enough to run both ways.

And while I don't dispute the fact Gulati has wanted Klinsmann all along, I'd like to know how that "saved his job?"  Munich fans are probably saying our Federation "ist so verruckt" as our Government.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #224 on: July 29, 2011, 12:26:25 PM »
Worth reading to get a feel for how Germany rebuilt its system.  It was a significant effort, and probably highlights why it's been such a sticking point in previous negotiations.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/soccer/world-cup-2010/writers/raphael_honigstein/07/01/germany.reinvention/index.html

Kinda makes me wish they went after Low.