collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801971 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #150 on: July 21, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »
BRMU23, if it's not for you, then why'd you bother posting in here? To question others' loyalty to the sport? How is that constuctive? How is telling someone you don't know what they think and why they think it anything short of presumptuous and idiotic? And you say "think before you speak". Ironic, much? As far as a small minority, who gives a crap? I'm proud to be in that minority, and I could care less what ignorant jags like you think. If you aren't part of said minority, why did you even enter this thread? The ONLY possible reason is because you're a troll. So go away, troll.

And ssmp, yeah, no fake injuries or diving in basketball, are there. Have you even HEARD of the NBA? And I'm pretty sure baseball is the only sport that puts guys on the DL with phantom injuries just to make room on their roster. Happens all the time. Another useless Internet troll. Go back under your bridge.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
  • "He's a great player, but an even better person."
« Reply #151 on: July 21, 2011, 03:47:30 PM »
ok. but yuo left D Wade off of there.. He is the biggest complainer of them all.
"Say hello to your mom for me." - Biff Tannen

reinko

• All American
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2011, 03:54:53 PM »
ok. but yuo left D Wade off of there.. He is the biggest complainer of them all.

Noted.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
And ssmp, yeah, no fake injuries or diving in basketball, are there. Have you even HEARD of the NBA? And I'm pretty sure baseball is the only sport that puts guys on the DL with phantom injuries just to make room on their roster. Happens all the time. Another useless Internet troll. Go back under your bridge.

I enjoy soccer, but there's simply no defending the diving/fake injury antics of the sport at its highest levels. Even the worst flopping is the NBA - which admittedly is distasteful - pales in comparison to some of buffoonery on the pitch.
The players, of course, deserve most of the blame for this. But some must also go to the atrocious officiating, caused in no small part by a system that expects one often middle-aged man to keep up with 22 of the finest athletes in the world on a playing surface larger than a football field. Even the NHL was smart enough to realize it was a job too big for one official.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
I'll be the first to admit diving is part of the game, and honestly, I wish the Americans were better at it. We are at a severe disadvantage because many if our players refuse to dive, and those that do are incompetent at it. And the simple truth is that while it's cheating, cheating is a part of all sports at all levels. Whether it's Vancouver cheap shots in the Stanley Cup Finals, or the holding that happens during every NFL play, or the acting that goes on in soccer or basketball, or foreign substances on bats and balls in baseball, or NASCAR teams trying to get away with illegal structural changes to make their cars lighter, there's not a sport where this stuff doesn't happen. For some reason, people in this country get more worked up about the cheating in soccer than they do in other sports, even though it's no more prevalent. Hell, we complain about legal time-wasting tactics (that might have won the US women the WC) but don't bat an eye when the QB takes a knee. It's hypocritical. Yes, rules are broken and infractions are missed. It happens in every game of every major sport in existence.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »
I'll be the first to admit diving is part of the game, and honestly, I wish the Americans were better at it. We are at a severe disadvantage because many if our players refuse to dive, and those that do are incompetent at it. And the simple truth is that while it's cheating, cheating is a part of all sports at all levels. Whether it's Vancouver cheap shots in the Stanley Cup Finals, or the holding that happens during every NFL play, or the acting that goes on in soccer or basketball, or foreign substances on bats and balls in baseball, or NASCAR teams trying to get away with illegal structural changes to make their cars lighter, there's not a sport where this stuff doesn't happen. For some reason, people in this country get more worked up about the cheating in soccer than they do in other sports, even though it's no more prevalent. Hell, we complain about legal time-wasting tactics (that might have won the US women the WC) but don't bat an eye when the QB takes a knee. It's hypocritical. Yes, rules are broken and infractions are missed. It happens in every game of every major sport in existence.

You've somewhat missed the point.
It's not the diving that bothers me. That, or some version thereof, happens in every sport (flopping on a charge in hoops, Derek Jeter pretending to be hit by a pitch, drawing a pass intereference, etc.).
What bothers me, and I suspect plenty of other American soccer fans, is the minutes writhing on the ground in obviously fake agony. That's hardly comparable to any of the forms of cheating - some of which aren't cheating at all - you describe above. I mean, faking an injury vs. hitting a guy late in a hockey game aren't exactly analagous, are they?

So, in review:
Diving to gain competitive advantage = generally acceptable.
Acting as if one's privates were just caught in a grizzly bear trap following a minor collision = not acceptable.

p.s. I'm rather glad the Americans aren't good at pretending to be injured. If they lose, at least they're losing with integrity.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 05:16:20 PM by Pakuni »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2011, 05:20:59 PM »
I'm a hockey fan. "I hurt my ankle, we need a rest, he was offsides, wah wah wah." If I want that, I'll babysit my nieces and nephews more. They also run around for hours without tiring.

How do you mock "we need a rest" followed up with "they run around for hours without tiring"?? and what does running around "not getting tired" have to do with the sport being boring or a "Terrible" sport?

You're a hockey fan and you're going to mock the offsides rule? Don't you guys have that too?

I'll take the flopping in soccer any day over fighting in hockey. At least the flopping comes in the run of play and isn't some meaningless aside.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #157 on: July 21, 2011, 05:22:38 PM »
When it's something like Brazilian defender Erika writhing after being hit by a mystery sniper, only to bounce back up as soon as she hits the endline, I agree. But that's far from an every-match occurrence, and just as bad is happening in the NBA with about the same frequency, especially come playoff time. I may not like it, but that's a lot easier for me to watch than NFL games being played for 5 seconds, then taking 40 seconds off, then another 7 seconds, repeat ad nauseum.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
I agree with much of the pro-soccer statements said thus far.  I will say this, in defense of some of the extended "injury time".  Soccer, at the highest levels, is a physical game with only the minimum of padding.  There are some pretty rough collisions, cleats flying, high speed running.  I took plenty of shots in club and high school games that had me on the ground for a bit to regain myself.  Is it exaggerated?  Sure, especially by some players at certain times.  Does it make all players that do it pansies?  Absolutely not, except in the eyes of soccer haters.

In terms of women's soccer, I actually really enjoy watching it.  Ive had the discussion with multiple people that with the exception of maybe volleyball, its the closest in action and intensity to its male counterpart.  Its not like the WNBA with less high flying and athleticism and its not like, say, women's hockey with slower speeds and no checking.  The action flows very similarly and the game works in many of the same ways.  I had no problem watching my HS' girls team play, but I would rather cut grass than watch the girl's basketball team.  I even reasoned that I would rather watch a women's soccer game than a meaningless midseason Cubs-Diamondbacks matchup.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2011, 05:36:06 PM »
When it's something like Brazilian defender Erika writhing after being hit by a mystery sniper, only to bounce back up as soon as she hits the endline, I agree. But that's far from an every-match occurrence, and just as bad is happening in the NBA with about the same frequency, especially come playoff time. I may not like it, but that's a lot easier for me to watch than NFL games being played for 5 seconds, then taking 40 seconds off, then another 7 seconds, repeat ad nauseum.

Well, we'll have to agree to disagree here. Because I watch plenty of EPL - considered one of the rougher leagues out there, mind you - and flopping in false agony is indeed an every-match occurrence. Heck, it's an every 10 minutes occurrence. Either that or footballers are born with ridiculoulsy sensitive, yet quick to recover, nerve endings. How else does one explain the unbearable pain followed shortly by full speed runs?
And yeah, it's far worse than anything in the NBA. Even Chris Bosh doesn't call out the trainers every time he flops. And I don't recall a single time Vlade Divac needed a stretcher to make it off the court, only to return unscathed 90 seconds later.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 21, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
You're a hockey fan and you're going to mock the offsides rule? Don't you guys have that too?

You do realize, don't you, that hockey off sides is very different from soccer offsides?
Heck, why not just toss in football offsides?

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #161 on: July 21, 2011, 08:14:58 PM »
Brewcity, your saying that you like watching womens sports better than the NFL? I have never once heard that from a human being before, much less an American. I'm not knocking you for your style, its just a little bizarre. Personally I think womens soccer is not entertaining at all and if we didn't make it to the World Cup finals then there would not have been a single thought of womens soccer enter my brain. Men's soccer on the other hand I do enjoy and try to follow it as much as I can, maybe 2014 will be our year...USA  USA USA

I like watching womens sports more than the NFL and im an American. Watching an NFL game is at times intolerable. There is about 4 seconds of action on each play and then they stand around for about 4 minutes doing nothing while Bud Light has a flashing ad across the screen every 10 seconds. American football is one of the most boring sports known to man.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 21, 2011, 08:22:40 PM »
I like watching womens sports more than the NFL and im an American. Watching an NFL game is at times intolerable. There is about 4 seconds of action on each play and then they stand around for about 4 minutes doing nothing while Bud Light has a flashing ad across the screen every 10 seconds. American football is one of the most boring sports known to man.

Totally unlike the 80+ minutes of jogging and passing in soccer. With 8 to 10 minutes of actual action to keep you entertained.

I feel like soccer is very similar to NASCAR. The few good moments will be on Sportscenter, so who the hell cares?

JoeSmith1721

• Starter
« Reply #163 on: July 21, 2011, 08:46:58 PM »
Totally unlike the 80+ minutes of jogging and passing in soccer. With 8 to 10 minutes of actual action to keep you entertained.

I feel like soccer is very similar to NASCAR. The few good moments will be on Sportscenter, so who the hell cares?
Number 1, nascar isnt a sport. Number 2, you cant tell me that there is more action in American football than real football, thats an absolute joke. There is only 1 break in a real football game and the rest consists of constant action and effort. Not to mention real football players are actual athletes unlike the 600 lb linemen that can barely walk and they end up dying when theyre 50 years old because theyre too fat and out of shape to even sustain life. And by the way the entire world cares about real football if u werent aware.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:55 AM »
Joe Smith did you grow up in a state without a football team or something or do you not like the contact and hitting that real men in the NFL entertain millions with every sunday. I'm assuming you are going to come back at me with "real men? soccer players run a total of 8 miles for 90 minutes non stop". My response to that would be congratulations to them, maybe they should run the Boston Marathon (another thing I could care less about" As Kenny Powers once said "I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising". Like I mentioned before I do enjoy men's soccer (not womens), but it doesnt even come close to real Football (notice the spelling). And to the person who claimed there is cheating and diving in every sport, what about golf? The biggest controvesy to come out of that sport was when Tiger hauked a loogie and someone's ball rolled over it. Oh no!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:16:49 AM by cbowe3 »
Bring back FFP!!!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 22, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
Number 1, nascar isnt a sport. Number 2, you cant tell me that there is more action in American football than real football, thats an absolute joke. There is only 1 break in a real football game and the rest consists of constant action and effort. Not to mention real football players are actual athletes unlike the 600 lb linemen that can barely walk and they end up dying when theyre 50 years old because theyre too fat and out of shape to even sustain life. And by the way the entire world cares about real football if u werent aware.

Typical soccer fan rebuttal.

Breaks don't constitute action. Neither does passing the soccer ball around for 90 minutes either.

Like I said before, no one cares about soccer. If the rest of the world does, good for them. This is 'Merica.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #166 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
And by the way the entire world cares about real football if u werent aware.
Yeah, the rest of the world hates America. You wan't to group yourself with them, go ahead, commie.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #167 on: July 22, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »
JoeSmith1721. Canada hates soccer. Fact.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:38 AM »
I am a lifelong fan of soccer. Recent posters are not. So what.
My wife is not a serious fan of any sport. We dont debate or question each other for our differing preferences.
Tell me of the merit or reasons why fans of different sports would engage in any debate over this. By definition being a fan is subjective...there is no objective discussion that would alter another one's subjectitivity. I am not changing my wife's mind, nor she mine. Youre not going to change my fandom, and Im not planning on trying to change yours. That seems fair to me.
Posters invaded this thread to try to engage...I dont see any reason to do so...and I simply congratulate, and respect them for the sports they enjoy. If they choose not reciprocate...so what.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

BubbaWilliams

• Team Captain
« Reply #169 on: July 22, 2011, 09:24:48 AM »
The point is we need college basketball back.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
College basketball? Women's shuffle board is just starting up!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2011, 09:39:36 AM »
What I find so irritating is there's a thread for people that enjoy soccer to discuss it, and the haters can't help but come in and sh*t on it.

We get it. Now move on.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:13 AM »
What I find so irritating is there's a thread for people that enjoy soccer to discuss it, and the haters can't help but come in and sh*t on it.

We get it. Now move on.

Exactly.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2011, 09:55:14 AM »
Exactly.

But dude!  Hating on soccer and calling it boring and for pansies makes you totally manly and cool brah!  Its the American way!

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2011, 10:06:25 AM »
But dude!  Hating on soccer and calling it boring and for pansies makes you totally manly and cool brah!  Its the American way!

I mean, it's not like fans of teams outside the NL Central are constantly going into that thread to talk about what a sh!t division it is (Brewers fan here, by the way).

OK, done complaining.  Anyone going to the Manchester United-Fire game tomorrow?