collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801379 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4700 on: November 20, 2023, 09:11:00 PM »
Let’s not forget about the score line and overall performance here - GGG should be counting his blessings all of the heat will be on Dest after this. Quite frankly an abysmal two games against an extremely poor opponent.

GGG’s record away from home remains pathetic.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4701 on: November 20, 2023, 09:15:09 PM »
Let’s not forget about the score line and overall performance here - GGG should be counting his blessings all of the heat will be on Dest after this. Quite frankly an abysmal two games against an extremely poor opponent.

GGG’s record away from home remains pathetic.

Barely meets minimum requirements. The berhalter way

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4702 on: November 20, 2023, 09:27:34 PM »
And then to continue to argue with his teammates about it.

That was my biggest issue and where I think he’s dug himself a hole.  The outburst was ridiculous, but you can get past that.  But doubling down and going against his teammates is unacceptable.

I don’t think he was talented enough to stay in the team at Barca. Never really given much of a chance during his loan spell at Milan. Otherwise has played well at Ajax and psv.

Agreed.  You have to be a consistent 2 way player at LB/RB to play at Barca, and he never developed the defensive accumen.  And while he’s a very good player going forward, he’s not the Uber elite level you’d need to be at somewhere like Barca.

Milan was a bad fit and he’s been great at PSV and Ajax.  I’d guess he’ll get another look for a top half Bundesliga team in 2025

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4703 on: November 20, 2023, 10:27:31 PM »
No he shouldn’t. Imagine something like that happening in the copa. A decision like that completely sinks a team. Scally is a completely different player, but is much more reliable in many different facets of the game than Dest.

If he’s still as volatile emotionally next year, then sure. But to my knowledge, this is the first time it’s happened and tons of players have outbursts like that and never repeat them.

If there are concerns he’ll do it again or if Scally is deemed a better fit then by all means don’t call him in. But if he’s the best option he should play assuming he owns his behavior.

I’m not even a big Dest fan, he’s probably my least favorite player in the preferred eleven. I just don’t think tonight’s outburst is enough to end the national team career of a 23 year old player.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 10:29:11 PM by BM1090 »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4704 on: November 21, 2023, 09:18:28 AM »
If he’s still as volatile emotionally next year, then sure. But to my knowledge, this is the first time it’s happened and tons of players have outbursts like that and never repeat them.

If there are concerns he’ll do it again or if Scally is deemed a better fit then by all means don’t call him in. But if he’s the best option he should play assuming he owns his behavior.

I’m not even a big Dest fan, he’s probably my least favorite player in the preferred eleven. I just don’t think tonight’s outburst is enough to end the national team career of a 23 year old player.

He’s a liability defensively, but his abilities going forward lend itself to the way GGG wants to play.

We’ll see what happens. He already came out and posted an apology on instagram. Ultimately it will come down to how his teammates receive him. We’ll see how GGG comes down on him. Personally, I don’t see him coming back until the copa this summer.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4705 on: November 21, 2023, 10:23:09 AM »
Dest being a true Dutchman is the least dysfunctional aspect of the current US program.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4706 on: November 21, 2023, 04:56:15 PM »
TIL: in true away matches vs concacaf opponents, berhalter is 1-4-5

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4707 on: November 26, 2023, 10:59:24 AM »
Spurs desperately need to get healthy.  And get to the transfer window

panda

• All American
« Reply #4708 on: November 26, 2023, 12:28:53 PM »

Ole panda predicted the downfall a month ago. They’ll be 8-10 points off fourth by Jan 1.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4709 on: November 27, 2023, 11:02:45 AM »
Every squad goes through the injury issues at some point but interesting that some end up stumbling stumbling stumbling and some end up top of the table.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4710 on: November 27, 2023, 11:06:56 AM »

FWIW, Spurs were the better team for that match. More shots, more shots on target, far more possession, 2.34 to 1.86 xG.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4711 on: November 27, 2023, 11:11:16 AM »
FWIW, Spurs were the better team for that match. More shots, more shots on target, far more possession, 2.34 to 1.86 xG.

Yea.

Their losses look and feel much different under Ange compared to the prior regimes.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4712 on: November 27, 2023, 11:13:01 AM »
Ole panda predicted the downfall a month ago. They’ll be 8-10 points off fourth by Jan 1.

It's not too surprising. Significant injuries combined with lack of depth (long existing problem) equals some tough results.

They also had some "lucky" outcomes earlier.

It's all evening out a bit.

I think Ange has earned a long leash though

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4713 on: November 28, 2023, 01:14:32 PM »
It's not too surprising. Significant injuries combined with lack of depth (long existing problem) equals some tough results.

They also had some "lucky" outcomes earlier.

It's all evening out a bit.

I think Ange has earned a long leash though

Betancur out 2.5 months.
Oof.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4714 on: December 03, 2023, 02:13:36 PM »
The mindset/cultural change under Ange has been awesome to watch

panda

• All American
« Reply #4715 on: December 03, 2023, 02:27:05 PM »
The mindset/cultural change under Ange has been awesome to watch

I enjoy giving spurs fans a hard time as much as anyone else. I also truly did not believe the buy in would be there from the squad on Ange.

I am so wrong and he’s been an absolute treat to watch. His press conferences are life lessons and you can see why he’s such a successful mgr on multiple levels. Incredible guy.

I still don’t think spurs have enough for the top 4,purely based on lack of squad depth, but performances like today give me pause. Also as a Liverpool fan, thank you.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4716 on: December 03, 2023, 02:58:15 PM »
I enjoy giving spurs fans a hard time as much as anyone else. I also truly did not believe the buy in would be there from the squad on Ange.

I am so wrong and he’s been an absolute treat to watch. His press conferences are life lessons and you can see why he’s such a successful mgr on multiple levels. Incredible guy.

I still don’t think spurs have enough for the top 4,purely based on lack of squad depth, but performances like today give me pause. Also as a Liverpool fan, thank you.

Prior to season, I thought top 8 would be good. After Kane, top 10 became my expectation.

Now, I still don't think they're CL because of lack of depth, but I think top 6 is reasonable.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4717 on: December 07, 2023, 08:17:32 PM »
USA grouped with Uruguay, Panama and Bolivia for the copa. Absolutely positively no excuses here. Need to get out of the group.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4718 on: December 11, 2023, 12:40:26 PM »
An interesting look inside of Girona - Talks of recruitment within the CFG network and potential issues next season if they qualify for Champions league because of their direct involvement with Manchester City.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/39064330/girona-champions-league-dreams-rich-owners-how-far-go

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4719 on: December 12, 2023, 09:40:53 AM »
And we thought Mahomes and Reid overreacted ...

ANKARA, Dec 11 (Reuters) - The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) has suspended all leagues on a night of "shame" for the nation's soccer after Ankaragucu's president Faruk Koca punched the referee in the face at the end of their Super Lig home match against Rizespor.
Koca entered the field and hit referee Halil Umut Meler when the final whistle blew after Rizespor scored a 97th minute equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Eryaman Stadium on Monday, footage from state broadcaster TRT showed.
Ankaragucu fans invaded the pitch after the game and Meler was also kicked when he fell, though it was unclear who his assailants were. Meler eventually made it to the dressing room with the help of the police.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/turkish-club-president-punches-referee-face-after-super-lig-game-2023-12-11/

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4720 on: December 12, 2023, 10:44:07 AM »
And we thought Mahomes and Reid overreacted ...

ANKARA, Dec 11 (Reuters) - The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) has suspended all leagues on a night of "shame" for the nation's soccer after Ankaragucu's president Faruk Koca punched the referee in the face at the end of their Super Lig home match against Rizespor.
Koca entered the field and hit referee Halil Umut Meler when the final whistle blew after Rizespor scored a 97th minute equaliser in the 1-1 draw at Eryaman Stadium on Monday, footage from state broadcaster TRT showed.
Ankaragucu fans invaded the pitch after the game and Meler was also kicked when he fell, though it was unclear who his assailants were. Meler eventually made it to the dressing room with the help of the police.

https://www.reuters.com/sports/soccer/turkish-club-president-punches-referee-face-after-super-lig-game-2023-12-11/

Not at all shocking from a league with a history of shady behavior, but this quote from Koca is hilarious...

"The slap I threw will not cause fractures. After the slap I gave, the referee stood for about 5-10 seconds and then threw himself on the ground. They immediately removed me from the scene because I had heart disease. I am not aware of any events that took place other than this. That's all I have to say"

Directly before that he said he didn't intend to hit him initially, only spit in his face  ;D

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4721 on: December 31, 2023, 10:23:03 AM »

Or 1.
 :)

panda

• All American
« Reply #4722 on: December 31, 2023, 01:06:27 PM »
Or 1.
 :)

Classic spurs fan - content with 5th :-)

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4723 on: January 03, 2024, 05:04:03 PM »
I haven't watched much of the EFL cup other than Fulham's matches. Is Liverpool playing their A squad? If not, will they now that they are in the semifinals?

I'd love to see Fulham in European football and this is probably the best chance they'll have for at least a few years.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4724 on: January 03, 2024, 08:42:26 PM »
I haven't watched much of the EFL cup other than Fulham's matches. Is Liverpool playing their A squad? If not, will they now that they are in the semifinals?

I'd love to see Fulham in European football and this is probably the best chance they'll have for at least a few years.

3 days after FA cup tie against Arsenal will be a heavily rotated squad. Will be interesting to see what 11 Fulham put out in their FA cup game. May be a good opportunity to prioritize the league cup over FA cup.