collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 801660 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4600 on: November 11, 2023, 09:35:12 PM »
I believe that each LaLiga team negotiates their own domestic media deal which pretty much guarantees that Real and Barca are going to be at a large advantage every year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4601 on: November 11, 2023, 09:58:17 PM »
In the whole history of La Liga, Real Madrid and Barcelona have won, I’m guessing, almost all of the league titles. Does the fact that two teams win the Champions League a lot mean that La Liga is better? No, it means those two teams are better and Barcelona will never be the same Barcelona with their deep rooted financial issues.

In the last 20 years, 5 teams have won the EPL. In the last 20 years 4 La Liga teams have won a championship.

Man City has won it 5 of 6 last EPL titles. In the same time period three different teams will win la Liga.  Man City has dominated since Saudi Arab fund acquired the team.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4602 on: November 11, 2023, 10:03:39 PM »
I believe that each LaLiga team negotiates their own domestic media deal which pretty much guarantees that Real and Barca are going to be at a large advantage every year.

La Liga entered into an agreement with CVC to manage their broadcasting and also signed a deal with ESPN.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4603 on: November 11, 2023, 10:09:08 PM »
In the whole history of La Liga, Real Madrid and Barcelona have won, I’m guessing, almost all of the league titles. Does the fact that two teams win the Champions League a lot mean that La Liga is better? No, it means those two teams are better and Barcelona will never be the same Barcelona with their deep rooted financial issues.

Who’s your EPL team?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4604 on: November 11, 2023, 10:19:16 PM »
Man City has won it 5 of 6 last EPL titles. In the same time period three different teams will win la Liga.  Man City has dominated since Saudi Arab fund acquired the team.

Nope.  Try again

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4605 on: November 11, 2023, 10:36:29 PM »

In the last five years seven la Liga teams, have made the knockout stage.

Three different teams in the last three years has won la Liga.

Here’s the thing of the teams from the EPL who have made it, a good chunk aren’t even English owned anymore and only have become relevant because of foreign money.

EPL is deeper. Right. Says no results and it’s the same set of teams every year. This is why I say it is overrated because anyone who is an EPL person talks it up so much that their results don’t meet their own hype.

Girona is the Leicester City and they are currently leading the table. RSO is closer to Newcastle.

Talking about foreign owners in the Prem while simultaneously talking about how Girona top La Liga is hilarious. There’s no faster way to prove that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4606 on: November 12, 2023, 06:47:41 AM »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4607 on: November 12, 2023, 06:51:15 AM »
Talking about foreign owners in the Prem while simultaneously talking about how Girona top La Liga is hilarious. There’s no faster way to prove that you have no idea what you’re talking about.

Ah yes - the plucky underdogs headed by the small upstart city football group.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4608 on: November 12, 2023, 06:58:00 AM »

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4609 on: November 12, 2023, 07:41:59 AM »
Nope.  Try again

Sorry I said Saudi by it was Abu Dhabi money in the end of 2008. From there they finished
3rd 2011
1st 2012
2nd 2013
1st 2014
2nd 2015
Skip a year in top 3
3rd 2016
1st for the next 5 of 6 years
2nd in one year they didn’t finish first

Prior to that they were an irrelevant team. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #4610 on: November 12, 2023, 07:50:00 AM »
Sorry I said Saudi by it was Abu Dhabi money in the end of 2008. From there they finished
3rd 2011
1st 2012
2nd 2013
1st 2014
2nd 2015
Skip a year in top 3
3rd 2016

Almost the same as la liga. Except United, Liverpool, Leicester, arsenal, spurs and Chelsea have all finished first or second in that time period.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4611 on: November 12, 2023, 07:58:21 AM »

Have you even bothered to look up Girona’s team and their wage bill? Or just stopped at the less than 50% ownership group. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #4612 on: November 12, 2023, 08:03:45 AM »
Have you even bothered to look up Girona’s team and their wage bill? Or just stopped at the less than 50% ownership group.

Isn’t pep’s brother sporting director ?!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4613 on: November 12, 2023, 08:12:44 AM »

Girona’s team in their last match against Vallecano had three former City players in their starting XI as well as a City Loanee come off the bench. I feel confident saying that they would not be top without their relationship with City.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4614 on: November 12, 2023, 08:28:55 AM »
Isn’t pep’s brother sporting director ?!

No he is Chairman and is part of the Girona Football Group

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4615 on: November 12, 2023, 08:54:32 AM »
Girona’s team in their last match against Vallecano had three former City players in their starting XI as well as a City Loanee come off the bench. I feel confident saying that they would not be top without their relationship with City.

Except you would be wrong.

There were only 2 in the starting line up with City ties. One that left City and is on loan from Barcelona. The other was on loan from City but then went on loan somewhere else. Then signed with 2 other teams before signing with Girona.

The third off the bench is on loan from city but only had one appearance there and has been impactful to their winning.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4616 on: November 12, 2023, 09:03:48 AM »
Except you would be wrong.

There were only 2 in the starting line up with City ties. One that left City and is on loan from Barcelona. The other was on loan from City but then went on loan somewhere else. Then signed with 2 other teams before signing with Girona.

The third off the bench is on loan from city but only had one appearance there and has been impactful to their winning.

Except I’m not. They’re former City players, that’s 100% true. You were the one that said that Girona is the Leicester of La Liga, that’s 100% false. You have a very flimsy grasp on this and continue to dig your hole. I’ll also point out that being top in November is meaningless (just as Spurs). They also got outclassed in their one game against the traditional big three,  we’ll see how they look against Barca next month.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4617 on: November 12, 2023, 09:54:24 AM »
3rd 2011
1st 2012
2nd 2013
1st 2014
2nd 2015
Skip a year in top 3
3rd 2016

I wasn't doubting that they completely changed with the new ownership, but you calling them Saudi was just more you playing fast and loose with incorrect facts.

And you keep scoffing at foreign ownership in the EPL, while Valencia is foreign owned, Atleti is majority foreign owned between Ofer and Ares Management, Girona is City Group, Sevilla is a mess that could very well have 777 Partners go from 15% ownership to much more, and one of its two crown jewels is an unmitigated financial quagmire.

Real honest question, if you remove Barca and Real from La Liga, and then remove Man City and, say Liverpool, from the EPL...do you really think La Liga is a stronger league and the EPL is "overrated"?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4618 on: November 12, 2023, 10:13:17 AM »
Beat league has the best players right?

Ballon d’or final standings.

1. Ligue 1 (now in MLS)
2. Prem
3. Ligue 1
4. La Liga
5. Prem
6. Prem
7. Prem (now in La Liga)
8. Serie A
9. Prem
10. La Liga
11. Bundesliga (now in La Liga)
12. Prem
13. La Liga (now in Saudi)
14. Serie A
15. Serie A
16. Prem
17. Prem
18. Prem
19. Prem
20. Bundesliga

Tally by league
Prem-10
La Liga-3
Serie A-3
Ligue 1-2
Bundesliga-2

Winner in by and large a popularity contest (and also weighted too heavily by an international tournament), but number of finalists by league is pretty strongly in favor of one particular league. Compare this to a decade ago when you had prime MSN and BBC, as well as the likes of Modric, Kroos, Xavi and Iniesta descending on the particular year, and it’s clear that the pendulum has swung.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4619 on: November 12, 2023, 10:57:42 AM »
Who’s your EPL team?

Liverpool football club

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4620 on: November 12, 2023, 10:57:54 AM »
Beat league has the best players right?

Ballon d’or final standings.

1. Ligue 1 (now in MLS)
2. Prem
3. Ligue 1
4. La Liga
5. Prem
6. Prem
7. Prem (now in La Liga)
8. Serie A
9. Prem
10. La Liga
11. Bundesliga (now in La Liga)
12. Prem
13. La Liga (now in Saudi)
14. Serie A
15. Serie A
16. Prem
17. Prem
18. Prem
19. Prem
20. Bundesliga

Tally by league
Prem-10
La Liga-3
Serie A-3
Ligue 1-2
Bundesliga-2

Winner in by and large a popularity contest (and also weighted too heavily by an international tournament), but number of finalists by league is pretty strongly in favor of one particular league. Compare this to a decade ago when you had prime MSN and BBC, as well as the likes of Modric, Kroos, Xavi and Iniesta descending on the particular year, and it’s clear that the pendulum has swung.

The Ballon has been dominated by 2 men for decade and has been won 16 times by la Liga players in the last 23 years. EPL has won it twice in that time period.

I would even give you I think Haaland should have won it this year which I stated earlier.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4621 on: November 12, 2023, 11:00:35 AM »
Liverpool football club

Called it. So on brand.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4622 on: November 12, 2023, 11:03:12 AM »
The Ballon has been dominated by 2 men for decade and has been won 16 times by la Liga players in the last 23 years. EPL has won it twice in that time period.

I would even give you I think Haaland should have won it this year which I stated earlier.

Two men who are no longer in La Liga and haven’t been for years. Also as I said the winner is largely a popularity contest but when the number of finalists skews so strongly in favor of one league, it’s pretty easy to figure out that that league is the strongest as a whole. La Liga was no doubt the best league in the 2010s. The Prem is no doubt the best league of the 2020s thus far.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #4623 on: November 12, 2023, 11:18:53 AM »
Two men who are no longer in La Liga and haven’t been for years. Also as I said the winner is largely a popularity contest but when the number of finalists skews so strongly in favor of one league, it’s pretty easy to figure out that that league is the strongest as a whole. La Liga was no doubt the best league in the 2010s. The Prem is no doubt the best league of the 2020s thus far.

So you are agreeing with me for the prior 2 decades La Liga has been the predominant league but because England has won 2 of the four while la Liga only won one they have this decade so far.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4624 on: November 12, 2023, 11:34:05 AM »
So you are agreeing with me for the prior 2 decades La Liga has been the predominant league but because England has won 2 of the four while la Liga only won one they have this decade so far.

I wouldn’t say two full decades. I would say from 2008 when Pep got the full time gig at Barca until 2018 when Madrid finished their three peat, La Liga was head and shoulders better than all the other leagues.

Starting in that 2018 season the Prem has had 7 finalists, with the only reason that they haven’t won more due to the fact that there have been two separate all England finals. La Liga has had 2, and as impressive as their run in 21-22 was, I don’t think that’s even close to one of the best Madrid sides of the last decade. 

Further, I think Athleti made a mistake extending Simeone as I think the game is starting to pass him by and his style will not be as effective in the future and Barca is in a huge financial mess not helped by back to back failures to get out of the group stage. Madrid is set up nicely as Vini is world class and Jude and Camavinga have tons of potential, but overall I would give the Prem a very comfortable edge, and coincidentally the current UEFA coefficient agrees.

feedback