[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788384 times)

21Jumpstreet

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4225 on: May 13, 2023, 10:05:28 AM »
Absolute shambles of a performance by the Owls in a massive game. We go again albeit a near impossible task. Brutal, damn.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4226 on: May 14, 2023, 12:26:01 PM »
Oh, just hand them the trophy now and forget the rest of the matches then.

Arsenal hands Citeh the trophy.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4227 on: May 14, 2023, 04:29:30 PM »

A bottle job for the ages.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4228 on: May 15, 2023, 08:58:55 AM »
Absolute shambles of a performance by the Owls in a massive game. We go again albeit a near impossible task. Brutal, damn.

I hate the playoffs. Maybe because I've only watched them end in disappointment, but it feels like you work all year toward that goal and it all comes down to how the ball bounces in a one-off game. I was sick after watching Reading get to a penalty shootout with Huddersfield in 2017, go up 3-1, be thisclose to the Premier league only to lose the shootout 4-3.

See you next year  :'(
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4229 on: May 16, 2023, 08:25:29 AM »
Let's hope that Balogun can be that missing no. 9 piece that the US has needed for some time. 19 league goals at only 21 years old.  Will just be entering his prime during the next WC. Have to see where he ends up next season as I'm not sure the minutes will be there at Arsenal once his loan ends, but a major win for the US nonetheless.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4230 on: May 16, 2023, 09:38:29 AM »
Let's hope that Balogun can be that missing no. 9 piece that the US has needed for some time. 19 league goals at only 21 years old.  Will just be entering his prime during the next WC. Have to see where he ends up next season as I'm not sure the minutes will be there at Arsenal once his loan ends, but a major win for the US nonetheless.

Biggest dual nat signing ever for the US, IMO.  This isn't an academy talent or someone who is tied to a big club but not playing, like Julian Green.  This is a player from a top club on loan scoring in bunches in a top 5 league.  Further, Reims is mid table and has only scored 42 goals in 35 league matches, which makes his 19 even more impressive.  Its not like he was padding stats with a high scoring club.

Agree that he likely doesn't end up at Arsenal, but he will have no shortage of high profile suitors.  I'm buzzing this morning.  He's gonna be a great backup for Jordan Morris.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4231 on: May 16, 2023, 12:20:53 PM »
Biggest dual nat signing ever for the US, IMO.  This isn't an academy talent or someone who is tied to a big club but not playing, like Julian Green.  This is a player from a top club on loan scoring in bunches in a top 5 league.  Further, Reims is mid table and has only scored 42 goals in 35 league matches, which makes his 19 even more impressive.  Its not like he was padding stats with a high scoring club.

Agree that he likely doesn't end up at Arsenal, but he will have no shortage of high profile suitors.  I'm buzzing this morning. He's gonna be a great backup for Jordan Morris.

I laughed pretty hard at this and then got very sad.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4232 on: May 16, 2023, 02:34:47 PM »

Agree that he likely doesn't end up at Arsenal, but he will have no shortage of high profile suitors.  I'm buzzing this morning.  He's gonna be a great backup for Jordan Morris.

He’s performing without a great creator in the midfield too. He’s creating chances on his own and putting them away. True complete forward. He’s an absolute game changer for this cycle.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4233 on: May 16, 2023, 02:35:47 PM »
Should they make Mason full time?

Going from Poch to Ryan Mason in several years is the most spurs move of all time

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4234 on: May 16, 2023, 02:50:55 PM »
Going from Poch to Ryan Mason in several years is the most spurs move of all time

As much as my Spursy little heart loves Poch, it was time for him to move on. The problem wasn't parting ways with Poch, it's been all the catastrophic failures that followed.
Mason should not be the permanent replacement. I'd much rather take my chances with Kompany or Alonso.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4235 on: May 16, 2023, 03:07:02 PM »
As much as my Spursy little heart loves Poch, it was time for him to move on. The problem wasn't parting ways with Poch, it's been all the catastrophic failures that followed.
Mason should not be the permanent replacement. I'd much rather take my chances with Kompany or Alonso.

I'm no Spurs supporter, but I think Kompany would be a home run.  He's been nothing short of fantastic at Burnley

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4236 on: May 16, 2023, 03:08:59 PM »
Kompany just signed a new contract and pretty clearly has eyes for one job and one job only.  If he keeps Burnley up until Pep leaves (I believe his contract currently is up in 2025), he'll be the first name City call.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4237 on: May 16, 2023, 03:10:44 PM »
And if Burnley goes down, it probably wouldn't hurt him all that much. Staying there might be way better for his career then jumping to Spurs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4238 on: May 16, 2023, 03:34:12 PM »
Kompany just signed a new contract and pretty clearly has eyes for one job and one job only.  If he keeps Burnley up until Pep leaves (I believe his contract currently is up in 2025), he'll be the first name City call.

Yea, I wasn't implying he would be interested or is a realistic candidate, just that it would be a coup for Spurs.

And if Burnley goes down, it probably wouldn't hurt him all that much. Staying there might be way better for his career then jumping to Spurs.

Counter...if you're a manager who's accomplished anything prior to White Hart Lane, relative failure managing Spurs doesn't negatively impact your career.  Didn't for Poch, didn't for Jose, didn't for Villas-Boas, and I doubt it hurt Nuno (who I assume will be back to Spain/England within a year or two).  Conte likely has a solid job by fall.

Pakuni

• All American

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4240 on: May 16, 2023, 03:50:55 PM »
Counter...if you're a manager who's accomplished anything prior to White Hart Lane, relative failure managing Spurs doesn't negatively impact your career.  Didn't for Poch, didn't for Jose, didn't for Villas-Boas, and I doubt it hurt Nuno (who I assume will be back to Spain/England within a year or two).  Conte likely has a solid job by fall.

Nuno may eventually get a chance with a relegation-battling club in one of the top leagues, but I don't think he's ever getting another "big" job.
Villas-Boas has had work, but I wouldn't call it top-tier.
And then there's Harry Redknapp.

As for Kompany, I'm sure ManCity is his dream job, but what are the chances it's available to him anytime soon? And does he want to slog out promotion/relegation battles every year, while never coaching in Europe, until it does?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:05:24 PM by Pakuni »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4241 on: May 16, 2023, 04:11:44 PM »
Nuno may eventually get a chance with a relegation-battling club in one of the top leagues, but I don't think he's ever getting another "big" job.
Villas-Boas has had work, but I wouldn't call it top-tier.
And then there's Harry Redknapp.

I mean, thats all Nuno really was.  He made Wolves competitive, it wasn't necessarily a great gig otherwise.  So he'd be returning back to level at a mid tier or slightly lower club.

I think AVB was more negatively impacted by his Chelsea failure than Spurs, but the Zenit was still a pretty attractive job at the time.  Spalletti preceded him and Manicini followed him shortly thereafter.  Those teams had Hulk and Wietsal and made noise in the CL.

No arguments on Redknapp, but I would argue most of his tenure preceded the Top 4 regular contending Spurs of the current day.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4242 on: May 17, 2023, 12:57:52 PM »

It's what they do

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4243 on: May 17, 2023, 01:11:27 PM »
Would think Brentford's odds of going down next year increased significantly. 20 goal scorers for the "other 14" are few and far between.  Interesting to see what they do this summer.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4244 on: May 17, 2023, 03:59:39 PM »
So the Championship playoff final will be between Luton (who were in the non-league fifth tier a decade ago) and Coventry (who were in League 2 five seasons ago.)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4245 on: May 17, 2023, 04:21:23 PM »
So the Championship playoff final will be between Luton (who were in the non-league fifth tier a decade ago) and Coventry (who were in League 2 five seasons ago.)

Winner gets 20th and relegation next year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4246 on: May 17, 2023, 05:11:16 PM »

I wouldn't be so sure with Luton.  Promoted from Non-League to League 2 and immediately were a mid-table top 10 club.  Then a few years later promoted from L2 to L1 to Championship in back to back seasons, and then were always a few spots clear of relegation in the Championship.  I wouldn't be shocked to see them end up 15-16 next year if they win it.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4247 on: May 17, 2023, 05:29:33 PM »

Certainly possible, but that's what everyone said about Fulham and Forest this year and there's a good chance none of the newly promoted teams are relegated.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4248 on: May 17, 2023, 09:23:53 PM »
I wouldn't be so sure with Luton.  Promoted from Non-League to League 2 and immediately were a mid-table top 10 club.  Then a few years later promoted from L2 to L1 to Championship in back to back seasons, and then were always a few spots clear of relegation in the Championship.  I wouldn't be shocked to see them end up 15-16 next year if they win it.

Neither teams have a premier league talent on their roster. Both teams  relied on loanees to get them to this point.

Investment in the first team will come, but I doubt it will make much difference. Neither team is built for the prem.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 09:26:51 PM by panda »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4249 on: May 17, 2023, 09:26:30 PM »

I honestly believe Conte’s burn it down press conference on his way out torched any opportunity Tottenham had at hiring a high profile manager. A fighter like conte taking a defeatist attitude is a foreboding look into the clubs goings on.

feedback