[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788104 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4100 on: January 30, 2023, 12:22:01 PM »
Slight correction...they may return to the EFL next year. The EPL is still four years away.

I was referring to Sheffield United who is comfortably in second in the Championship, for automatic promotion.  And Wrexham took them to the limit.  Obviously Wrexham are far off.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4101 on: January 30, 2023, 12:24:24 PM »
OK...my bad.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4102 on: February 06, 2023, 09:03:52 AM »
Jesse March available to manage the USMNT now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4103 on: February 06, 2023, 09:16:32 AM »

Pass

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4104 on: February 06, 2023, 10:26:59 AM »

Both Leipzig and Leeds said they would give him time. Both cut him off at the knees.

Every new hire is told they will get run but interesting to see who is actually given leeway and who is not.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #4105 on: February 06, 2023, 10:35:31 AM »
Both Leipzig and Leeds said they would give him time. Both cut him off at the knees.

Every new hire is told they will get run but interesting to see who is actually given leeway and who is not.

I think it's weird - or perhaps unforgiving - to bring in 3 starters this transfer window and then not give him time to integrate them and see the results.

Especially after saving them from relegation last season.

Is there something we don't know?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4106 on: February 06, 2023, 10:43:13 AM »

The Leipzig situation was a joke.

I see it both ways with Leeds, but I think the hook was a bit premature.  They've been playing A LOT better than their results have shown.  Their lack of finishing is puzzling, but Bamford isn't a quality EPL striker.  Their backline is awful and Championship quality.  That should have been shored up in the window, which you could say is on Marsch, but then again Leeds are one of the lowest spenders over the recent period, so not sure what else he could do if they aren't going to spend.

Also, people keep pointing to it needing to be done cause they have Man Utd coming up.  There is currently 9 points separating 12th and 20th, with nearly half the season left.  3 of their next 4 matches after the United fixtures are against teams in the bottom 5.  They could get zilch out of the 2 against United and be just fine.

Either way, I actually agree he shouldn't be the USMNT pick at this point, but I think he should be snatched up in Europe pretty soon.  He'd be a great pick for a Championship club with promotion aspirations or a lower Bundesliga club.

Pakuni

• All American

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4108 on: February 07, 2023, 09:37:41 AM »
Odds ManCity faces any real consequences here?

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12804623/man-city-premier-league-charges-explained-what-are-they-what-could-punishment-be-whats-the-timescale

The only thing really consequential would be a demotion. Could that happen? It might because with so much new money coming into the PL, like the Saudis up in Newcastle, they may want to use City as an example.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4109 on: February 07, 2023, 10:01:03 AM »
Define "real consequences".  I think a record setting fine will be the bare minimum.  I could very well see a 12-month transfer ban.  I think relegation or after-the-fact stripping of titles are unlikely. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4110 on: February 07, 2023, 10:52:29 AM »
I think it's weird - or perhaps unforgiving - to bring in 3 starters this transfer window and then not give him time to integrate them and see the results.

Especially after saving them from relegation last season.

Is there something we don't know?

After following English soccer for nearly 25 years now I think it's just down to mob rule. The supporters will always be irrational but eventually the braying gets to the pundit class on TV so they have drama to talk about which leads to the game crew going all in which leads to the cloud over every interaction with anyone associated with the club. Owners just give in and cut ties. Easiest and simplest way to relieve pressure.

Either way, I actually agree he shouldn't be the USMNT pick at this point, but I think he should be snatched up in Europe pretty soon.  He'd be a great pick for a Championship club with promotion aspirations or a lower Bundesliga club.

Stuttgart showed an immense amount of patience with Matarazzo who yo-yo'd between 1. and 2. Bundesliga but eventually cut the cord a month ago. He's already got another Bundesliga job.

Not specifically for Stuttgart but Marsch ending up with a club like that which would give him that time to implement system and work out kinks does seem best suited to the bottom end of that league.

The manager in Marsch is just fine. The narrative around Marsch is an anchor around his neck.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4111 on: February 07, 2023, 11:13:39 AM »
Define "real consequences".  I think a record setting fine will be the bare minimum.  I could very well see a 12-month transfer ban.  I think relegation or after-the-fact stripping of titles are unlikely.

£5000 fine and Preston North End gets relegated.

2 things against City:  they can't appeal to the CAS and there is no time limit for the Prem to bring charges, unlike UEFA.

Kinda crazy that both City and Pool could be looking for new managers soon.  (I think Klopp is done after this year.)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4112 on: February 07, 2023, 11:25:03 AM »
£5000 fine and Preston North End gets relegated.

2 things against City:  they can't appeal to the CAS and there is no time limit for the Prem to bring charges, unlike UEFA.

Kinda crazy that both City and Pool could be looking for new managers soon.  (I think Klopp is done after this year.)

They can't appeal to CAS because the Swiss company has no jurisdiction.  They can appeal though.  I would also replace time limit with stature of limitations.  We also don't know how severe the alleged violations were because the court didn't even look into them in 2020 once it was determined they were outside the aforementioned statute of limitations.  Another interesting tidbit is that there is no timetable for when this could be resolved.  It could be finished this season, it could take several years.

From what I've read thus far, it seems like the most severe it will get is a one time points deduction for whatever season is underway.  As much as the League wants to make an example of City, they don't want to kick them out because of the revenue they bring.  For reference, Juve were just deducted 15 points (although that was by a completely different governing body), and Derby County have recently had a 21 point deduction. I would imagine that any deductions would be significant enough to completely remove them from European contention for the season, but they would not be serious relegation contenders.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4113 on: February 07, 2023, 12:21:09 PM »
They can't appeal to CAS because the Swiss company has no jurisdiction.  They can appeal though.  I would also replace time limit with stature of limitations.  We also don't know how severe the alleged violations were because the court didn't even look into them in 2020 once it was determined they were outside the aforementioned statute of limitations.  Another interesting tidbit is that there is no timetable for when this could be resolved.  It could be finished this season, it could take several years.

From what I've read thus far, it seems like the most severe it will get is a one time points deduction for whatever season is underway.  As much as the League wants to make an example of City, they don't want to kick them out because of the revenue they bring.  For reference, Juve were just deducted 15 points (although that was by a completely different governing body), and Derby County have recently had a 21 point deduction. I would imagine that any deductions would be significant enough to completely remove them from European contention for the season, but they would not be serious relegation contenders.

A 15 pt reduction would still have City ahead of Liverpool.   🤣

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #4114 on: February 07, 2023, 02:07:36 PM »
Wrexham v Sheffield United in the fourth round replay in the FA Cup. SHU dominating possession, but had Wrex simply connects a couple passes in the attacking third, they may have a chance. They like the long ball counter after drawing SHU deep in their defensive third. Never seen the show, but admittedly I’m feeling the Wrexham buzz watching the game.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4115 on: February 07, 2023, 04:16:30 PM »
Wrexham v Sheffield United in the fourth round replay in the FA Cup. SHU dominating possession, but had Wrex simply connects a couple passes in the attacking third, they may have a chance. They like the long ball counter after drawing SHU deep in their defensive third. Never seen the show, but admittedly I’m feeling the Wrexham buzz watching the game.

About as brutal of a finish that you can have for Wrexham, yikes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4116 on: February 07, 2023, 04:36:43 PM »

Better Sheffield than Spurs to go down to the wire against wrexham.  ;D

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #4117 on: February 07, 2023, 06:25:03 PM »

Brutal

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4118 on: February 16, 2023, 04:13:13 PM »
T-Mobile announced today that customers will receive the new Apple MLS Season Pass for free:

https://www.t-mobile.com/news/offers/t-mobile-customers-score-mls-season-pass-on-the-apple-tv-app-on-us

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4119 on: February 17, 2023, 04:46:03 PM »
Indy Eleven $1 Billion development, including 20k stadium:

https://www.ibj.com/articles/plans-moving-forward-for-1b-eleven-park-project

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #4120 on: February 21, 2023, 03:39:53 PM »
Liverpool.    :P :P :P

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4121 on: February 21, 2023, 03:44:47 PM »
Awful.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4122 on: February 24, 2023, 03:02:38 PM »
El Tráfico has been canceled for tomorrow due to Pasadena weather. 73k plus was expected. That’s too bad.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 03:05:21 PM by shoothoops »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4123 on: February 27, 2023, 09:57:25 AM »
Jurgen Klinsmann is your new South Korea national team coach.

feedback