[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 788129 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #4001 on: October 06, 2022, 02:24:01 PM »
Greatest stadium for the greatest fans ever.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4002 on: October 06, 2022, 03:39:04 PM »
The team is already counting the day those pictures/videos were taken as a sellout.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4003 on: October 06, 2022, 04:05:51 PM »
MLS won't rest until there's a franchise few people care about in every mediocre city on the continent.
Can't wait until they introduce their 46th team, FC Dayton.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4004 on: October 06, 2022, 06:21:13 PM »
MLS won't rest until there's a franchise few people care about in every mediocre city on the continent.
Can't wait until they introduce their 46th team, FC Dayton.

Perhaps for some other geogralhies. But MLS has wanted a franchise in the country's historic soccer capital (St. Louis) since MLS started. It wasn't until until a few years ago that they had Billionaire owners with interest, and private money.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4005 on: October 11, 2022, 12:15:34 PM »
I get that he's a generational talent and will be one of the faces of the sport for the next decade, but Mbappe sure seems to be a massive diva.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4006 on: October 11, 2022, 01:33:57 PM »
I get that he's a generational talent and will be one of the faces of the sport for the next decade, but Mbappe sure seems to be a massive diva.

Its always interesting to look at these situations.  Who knows what is being said behind closed doors.  Mbappe's dream club as always been Real Madrid.  Thats pretty known.

However, the one benefit I'll give him.  He resigned with PSG and shocked a lot of people.  I would not be surprised if he asked for and was promised a variety of things.  Whether it be where he is playing (he doesn't want to be a 9) or how they would approach roster creation/transfer activity.  If they promised him one thing and have not followed through in the last 6 months, then I sort of get why he's pissed and wants to say screw it.

I also think the transfer nature of Euro soccer makes it a bit more ok.  Cause its not like the NBA where you trade away unhappy superstars for a collection of parts or 80 cents on the dollar.  At least you get a fat compensation packet you can spend on others.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4007 on: October 11, 2022, 02:13:27 PM »
I can understand that, but he's also the highest paid athlete in the world, his input was considered when choosing the new sporting director and manager, and he re-signed 5 months ago.  It's easy to say that PSG should have gone out and bought a striker, but even with PSG money, who all was available?  He wouldn't have wanted to share the spotlight with Haaland, Lewy only wanted Barca.  Maybe try tempting Milan for Leao, but that was always going to be north of 150 mil.  PSG were listening to offers for Neymar, who Mbappe supposedly doesn't get long with,  but if nothing suitable came in he was always going to stay.  Just seems like he's gotten just about everything reasonable that he's asked for and he still wants to leave now.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4008 on: October 12, 2022, 10:30:15 AM »
I can understand that, but he's also the highest paid athlete in the world, his input was considered when choosing the new sporting director and manager, and he re-signed 5 months ago.  It's easy to say that PSG should have gone out and bought a striker, but even with PSG money, who all was available? He wouldn't have wanted to share the spotlight with Haaland, Lewy only wanted Barca.  Maybe try tempting Milan for Leao, but that was always going to be north of 150 mil.  PSG were listening to offers for Neymar, who Mbappe supposedly doesn't get long with,  but if nothing suitable came in he was always going to stay.  Just seems like he's gotten just about everything reasonable that he's asked for and he still wants to leave now.

Jesus wanted out of Manchester specifically to be a #9. Isak would have come cheaper than what Newcastle paid. Could have called on Werner. Heck, Barca practically put Aubameyang on the "free to take" pile. 

Ekitike will be good and eventually be the exact guy Mbappe wants to play off of but he's 20 and raw which doesn't help for today.

Galtier is known for his stubbornness, Neymar is a legitimate diva which Mbappe has put up with it for years, Messi is injury prone at this stage of his career, and PSG's defense is such that Sergio Ramos (eek) is a choice being made.

All of that in the stew and it's not a shock the most important guy at the club is looking around and thinking this may not be an ideal situation.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4009 on: October 12, 2022, 10:48:35 AM »
Jesus wanted to stay in England and specifically wanted Arsenal because of his relationship with Arteta.  Isak has one season with more than 15 goals, I'm not sure he could cut it at PSG. Werner was desperate to get out, but only wanted Germany, specifically Leipzig.  Auba has proved to be an even bigger diva than both Mbappe and Neymar, that dressing room would have been a disaster. 

End of the day when Mbappe signed his new deal he knew exactly what he was signing up for.  He knew Neymar was likely unmovable, he knew Messi was going to be there even with his injury history.  Luis Campos had the resume to get the job, but he went from just a name on the list, to the only candidate, because Mbappe wanted him.  Galtier would not have been given the job if Mbappe didn't sign off on it.

I'm not against star players getting a say in roster construction in any sport.  Giannis and Lebron have gotten it, Brady has gotten it, Messi and Ronaldo have gotten it.  The difference is that all those players showed a significant sense of loyalty as well as winning the biggest prize in their respective sport.  Mbappe has done none of that, and is (deservedly) taking heat from a lot of media and fans.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4010 on: October 12, 2022, 11:25:48 AM »
He also knew that PSG is notorious for holding onto you even if you want out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4011 on: October 13, 2022, 10:09:08 AM »
Jesus wanted to stay in England and specifically wanted Arsenal because of his relationship with Arteta.  Isak has one season with more than 15 goals, I'm not sure he could cut it at PSG. Werner was desperate to get out, but only wanted Germany, specifically Leipzig.  Auba has proved to be an even bigger diva than both Mbappe and Neymar, that dressing room would have been a disaster. 

End of the day when Mbappe signed his new deal he knew exactly what he was signing up for.  He knew Neymar was likely unmovable, he knew Messi was going to be there even with his injury history.  Luis Campos had the resume to get the job, but he went from just a name on the list, to the only candidate, because Mbappe wanted him.  Galtier would not have been given the job if Mbappe didn't sign off on it.

I'm not against star players getting a say in roster construction in any sport.  Giannis and Lebron have gotten it, Brady has gotten it, Messi and Ronaldo have gotten it.  The difference is that all those players showed a significant sense of loyalty as well as winning the biggest prize in their respective sport.  Mbappe has done none of that, and is (deservedly) taking heat from a lot of media and fans.

Interesting you don't think Isak could "cut it" at PSG playing alongside the best player in the game and the best player of his generation and Neymar. And quite interesting you think LeBron and Ronaldo "showed a significant sense of loyalty" during their careers.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4012 on: October 13, 2022, 10:48:14 AM »

Interesting you don't think Isak could "cut it" at PSG playing alongside the best player in the game and the best player of his generation and Neymar. And quite interesting you think LeBron and Ronaldo "showed a significant sense of loyalty" during their careers.

I guess.  I think it's interesting you abandoned Jesus, Timo and Auba so quickly.  There's a reason that Isak went from Real Sociedad to Newcastle.  He's a good player that can contribute at those mid tier teams, but he's not world class and that's what PSG/Mbappe would want.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4013 on: October 13, 2022, 11:32:04 AM »
I guess.  I think it's interesting you abandoned Jesus, Timo and Auba so quickly.  There's a reason that Isak went from Real Sociedad to Newcastle.  He's a good player that can contribute at those mid tier teams, but he's not world class and that's what PSG/Mbappe would want.

Thats really selling Isak short.  He scored 17 goals in La Liga as a 21 year old.  He wasn't as prolific last year on a Real squad that struggled to score in general.  Then this year he scored against Barca in one of 2 appearances before the move and then 2 in 3 games in the PL, including against Liverpool in his debut.  He's only 23.  Clubs don't pay $80MM for mid tier contributors.  He would have been just fine and very productive in that PSG attack.

panda

• All American
« Reply #4014 on: October 13, 2022, 11:34:32 AM »
Thats really selling Isak short.  He scored 17 goals in La Liga as a 21 year old.  He wasn't as prolific last year on a Real squad that struggled to score in general.  Then this year he scored against Barca in one of 2 appearances before the move and then 2 in 3 games in the PL, including against Liverpool in his debut.  He's only 23.  Clubs don't pay $80MM for mid tier contributors.  He would have been just fine and very productive in that PSG attack.

Yep Isak is a baller. Yes it would’ve been risky for psg to make that move given their lofty European aspirations, but he will be at a big club in the next three years.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4015 on: October 13, 2022, 11:50:15 AM »

That 80 mil also includes the "we know Newcastle just got bought by the Saudi's" fee, as well as the "this deal is getting done in the last week of August and Sociedad don't really have a replacement" fee.  His market value was much less. 

I'll put it this way, if there's one club that knows how to identify and develop talent it's Dortmund.  If they thought he had world class potential, they wouldn't have sold him for 10 mil. Again, I think he'll be a nice player for Newcastle, and have a nice long career, I just don't see him making any team of the season's, which is about where the bar to play at PSG is, and that's not meant to be a slight against him in any way.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4016 on: October 19, 2022, 07:06:58 PM »
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/soccer/2022/10/19/milwaukee-pro-soccer-get-usl-championship-team-for-2025-season/10535786002/

USL coming 2025.  Personally would have rather had NWSL, but certainly won't complain about the continuing growth of the sport in the country.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4017 on: October 20, 2022, 10:38:01 AM »
Good for Milwaukee. There is so much more to enjoy in soccer than a handful of European Men's Leagues and the National Teams. (Those things are great too.)

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4018 on: November 08, 2022, 01:45:59 PM »
Based on his comments today it certainly seems like Blatter knew that awarding Qatar would make it to obvious as to how corrupt FIFA was. Either that or he just wants to be in the headlines again this close to the actual tournament.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #4019 on: November 08, 2022, 01:54:58 PM »
Based on his comments today it certainly seems like Blatter knew that awarding Qatar would make it to obvious as to how corrupt FIFA was. Either that or he just wants to be in the headlines again this close to the actual tournament.

The whole thing is really disgusting.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4020 on: November 08, 2022, 02:16:45 PM »

Its the latter.  He doesn't care, he's always seen himself as bulletproof and above reproach.  He's just desperate for some attention and trying to make himself look "good"

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #4021 on: November 09, 2022, 06:08:50 PM »
WC roster’s set…

the core seems quality and I’m glad to see Sargent included… no Pefok?… Surprised at myself that i’m glad to see Ream included (top half PL center back)…

not good depth… not much to choose from.   

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #4022 on: November 09, 2022, 08:05:18 PM »
WC roster’s set…

the core seems quality and I’m glad to see Sargent included… no Pefok?… Surprised at myself that i’m glad to see Ream included (top half PL center back)…

Same youth club, same high school, for Josh and Tim.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2022, 08:07:17 PM by shoothoops »

panda

• All American
« Reply #4023 on: November 09, 2022, 08:34:31 PM »
Leaving out an in form Pepi for Jesus fereira :-/

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #4024 on: November 09, 2022, 08:34:45 PM »
WC roster’s set…

Not taking Pepi is questionable. Slotting in Wright for that spot is malpractice.

feedback