[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by BobWildLoyalist
[Today at 10:36:31 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 803372 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #3800 on: March 30, 2022, 02:34:47 PM »
Gotta admire New Zealand.  Ever since Australia left for Asia, they have been the easy Oceania qualifier.  This year for the fourth straight time.  They still have to win a playoff, which would be likely against Costa Rica, but this year it is just one game and not two legs.  (They are 1-2 in those playoffs previously.)

But reducing your chances for qualification to a playoff, when there is no way they would get in through the Asian qualification, is best option available.

Australia OTOH probably thought going to Asia would be easier but they now have to win two playoffs - the first v. UAE and the second v. Peru.

I find it amusing that the groups is still called "Australia and Oceania"....despite the Socceroos leaving. 

But you have to wonder if it does anything to prepare them for that playoff, much less a WC?  Of the best 4 squads after them in the group...a grand total of 1 player...TOTAL, plays professional football.  The rest are semi-pro players in the tiny leagues on their islands.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3801 on: March 30, 2022, 02:48:02 PM »
I get that, but they would really struggle qualifying out of Asia.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3802 on: March 30, 2022, 09:50:22 PM »
Questions left to still answer:
- who's taking the corners/free kicks?
- who's the #9?
- who's the #1?
- what's the strategy against teams that bunker?

panda

• All American
« Reply #3803 on: March 30, 2022, 09:51:26 PM »
Steffen  >:( yikes. So poor on the second goal. Turner needs a fair shake moving forward.

Still exciting we’re back!

panda

• All American
« Reply #3804 on: March 30, 2022, 09:53:03 PM »
Questions left to still answer:
- who's taking the corners/free kicks?
- who's the #9?
- who's the #1?
- what's the strategy against teams that bunker?

A creative Reyna in the 11 and Dest on the wing will definitely up the quality and makes it harder for opponents to sit back. I really like this core if everyone is healthy.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3805 on: March 30, 2022, 10:03:16 PM »
Miserable effort. Wasted so many chances, and Steffen had terrible reactions on both goals. But it couldn't been worse. At least we qualified.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #3806 on: March 31, 2022, 08:57:21 AM »
So what are the dream and nightmare draws for the US?  With the understanding that every group has to have at least one UEFA team.  My thought...

Dream:  Qatar, Serbia and Ghana

Nightmare: Brazil, Poland and Wales (if they qualify)
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3807 on: March 31, 2022, 09:36:13 AM »
Qatar, Tunisia, Scotland would be a dream if the goal is to win the group.

To advance? Something like Belgium, Tunisia, Ecuador.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3808 on: March 31, 2022, 09:42:16 AM »
That European playoff spot is such a wildcard. One of those "Wales, oh no..." vs "Ukraine, okay..." vs "Scotland, oh yeah..." situations. But best case is probably to get one of the Pot 3 Euros.

Though while Qatar is clearly the seeded team everyone is hoping for, who's next? I have to think Portugal is the next best case. Definitely want nothing to do with Belgium, France, Brazil, or Argentina, and landing a Euro team in pot 1 would lessen the likelihood of getting Serbia/Poland/Wales out of pots 3/4.

• All American
« Reply #3809 on: April 01, 2022, 10:59:03 AM »
Gotta love Qatar touting this as the first “carbon neutral” World Cup. 🙄🙄🙄

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #3810 on: April 01, 2022, 11:36:51 AM »
That European playoff spot is such a wildcard. One of those "Wales, oh no..." vs "Ukraine, okay..." vs "Scotland, oh yeah..." situations. But best case is probably to get one of the Pot 3 Euros.

Though while Qatar is clearly the seeded team everyone is hoping for, who's next? I have to think Portugal is the next best case. Definitely want nothing to do with Belgium, France, Brazil, or Argentina, and landing a Euro team in pot 1 would lessen the likelihood of getting Serbia/Poland/Wales out of pots 3/4.

Agree on Portugal. Wouldn't hate Argentina, especially to help avoid Peru as the Pot 4 team.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3811 on: April 01, 2022, 11:40:37 AM »
Gotta love Qatar touting this as the first “carbon neutral” World Cup. 🙄🙄🙄

At least they didn't tout it as the first "slave labor neutral" World Cup.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3812 on: April 01, 2022, 12:13:59 PM »
Great draw all things considered

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #3813 on: April 01, 2022, 12:20:19 PM »
Would have preferred Ghana or Cameroon to the EUR playoff winner, but that could have gone far worse.

• All American
« Reply #3814 on: April 01, 2022, 12:22:15 PM »
US v England on Black Friday.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3815 on: April 01, 2022, 12:27:14 PM »
Would have preferred Ghana or Cameroon to the EUR playoff winner, but that could have gone far worse.

After 2010, I'm ok never playing Ghana again.  The WC is stressful enough without giving up an early goal to a CAF team and seeing them start time wasting before the 20th minute.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #3816 on: April 01, 2022, 12:43:26 PM »
I don’t shop on Black Friday - much rather watch the game.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3817 on: April 01, 2022, 12:53:44 PM »

Ukraine and Yarmolenko are a tough side. So are Wales.

People around the office today were saying they like the US chances against England and I’m sure you could see the visible eye roll I gave off.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3818 on: April 01, 2022, 01:01:37 PM »

People around the office today were saying they like the US chances against England and I’m sure you could see the visible eye roll I gave off.

Agreed - England isn’t England of old. There aren’t (apparent) club rifts between national team players and they seem very much like a cohesive unit, with the usual high level of talent England boasts.

But all things considered, the draw is favorable for us.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #3819 on: April 01, 2022, 01:21:12 PM »
Love the draw actually.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3820 on: April 01, 2022, 01:21:41 PM »

Ukraine has Yarmolenko and Yaremchuk and Malinovskyi, but then a bunch of lower level guys or guys like Zinchenko who don't get run at very good clubs.  Their defense is especially suspect, which is why they park the bus, and they have a geriatric GK.

Wales is scary cause of two big names, Bale and Ramsey.  But the rest of their squad is Championship/League One caliber guys.  And Ramsey isn't the Ramsey of old.  He played less than 50 matches in Serie A at Juve in 3 seasons, less than 70 total.  Hence why he got loaned down to 9th best league in Europe.

Defense?  Ehh.  Anchored by Ben Davies who has never been able to remain a first choice with Spurs?  Otherwise a bunch of young unproven guys

And who is in goal?  An old Hennessey who hasn't been a first choice keep in 4-5 seasons?  Perpetual back up Danny Ward?

The US has a ton of question marks, but unquestionably more talent that anyone other than England in the group, so just gotta get results.  Too bad we didn't get the Dutch group.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3821 on: April 01, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »
Agreed - it’s the World Cup. You can point to class players on almost every team who qualified.

Overall, I expect us to take a minimum of 4 points from Iran and the playoff team. 4 points should get us through to the knockouts.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3822 on: April 01, 2022, 08:16:20 PM »
The US has a ton of question marks, but unquestionably more talent that anyone other than England in the group, so just gotta get results.  Too bad we didn't get the Dutch group.

I feel like there's no one to really be afraid of in this group, but I'm not sure anyone will be really afraid of us, either. I was really happy to get Group B though because I think we have a realistic path to advance and if we do, there's no overly daunting opponent that will be waiting in the Round of 16.

It's certainly getting ahead, but a quarterfinal is certainly something we can dream about without being unrealistic.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3823 on: April 01, 2022, 10:14:26 PM »
I feel like there's no one to really be afraid of in this group

Not trying to be an ass, but do people really think the current US squad could compete with a full strength England? They have lost in regulation once since 2020.

This statement could absolutely blow up in my face, but realistically, England should beat the US 2-0, 3-1, something along those lines. It’s not the England of old with internal rifs, star players getting red cards in the biggest matches, and no plan.

They’ve made a semi-final and final in their two major tournaments under Southgate, they didn’t fluke their way to one quarter finals appearance.

What I will say is the weather in Qatar could play a huge factor. It ain’t gonna be a rainy Tuesday in Stoke, thats forsure.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2022, 10:16:27 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3824 on: April 01, 2022, 11:30:37 PM »
I think this USA squad is better suited to play a team like England than they are the CONCACAF teams they've been playing recently. Our best players (Pulisic, Reyna) are better in a skill based game than the grind it out rock fights of the Octagonal.

My biggest worry is that Berhalter sticks with Steffen in goal. For all his time at City, he isn't very good with the ball at his feet and isn't nearly the shot stopper Turner is. Against teams like England that can apply continuous offensive pressure, we need Turner. If Steffen keeps the starting role, I agree. But Turner gives us a shot at a draw or even stealing a win.

feedback