[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Futbol Talk  (Read 802737 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: Futbol Talk
« Reply #2950 on: September 19, 2020, 07:23:39 AM »
A positive of no fans is all the hot mic action we get. Not sure what Bilic is complaining about though, red, clear as day.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2951 on: September 19, 2020, 08:02:14 AM »
Only 175 of 380 PL games are on Peacock. This doesn't make any sense. Lots of people missing a good Everton game this morning.

But it is typical NBC. (Bracing for subpar upcoming French Open Tennis until after the long term contract expires 2024. Their coverage of that is turr-ible. Can't wait for ESPN/Tennis Channel to take it over. They do first ball last ball coverage)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 08:18:03 AM by shoothoops »

Hards Alumni

• All American

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2953 on: September 19, 2020, 02:39:16 PM »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #2954 on: September 21, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »
That's good news. I'm assuming that it won't be available for a few weeks.

App now live on Roku.

Still trash. I'm paying you. Let me pause and record.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2956 on: September 24, 2020, 10:56:02 AM »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2957 on: September 24, 2020, 11:29:20 AM »
Very good read about how pay-for-play is wrecking American soccer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-privilege-of-play-why-the-worlds-game-is-a-white-game-in-the-us-150024228.html

Yep. Been going on a long time. I have paid fees and have had fees waived for low income Black, Hispanic, and Immigrant friends so their kids can play on some of the more expensive higher profile teams.

Youth soccer is about ball possession in small spaces under pressure, until it gets mastered. Practice is everything. It takes time, patience, skill enhancement, critical thinking, etc...

Unfortunately, far
too many coaches and parents want it to be a re-do of their youth and make it about wins and losses, more tournaments, which leads to $$$ focus etc...That isn’t what youth soccer and training is about.

You have kids on the 10th or 11th Club team paying the same as the top few teams even though they are not getting the same level of training.

You also have big, large, club mergers which only increases the economic divide.

Coaches, Directors, etc have to intentionally change the environment and make it a priority. Many don’t. Some are doing it. But not yet enough.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 11:33:31 AM by shoothoops »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2958 on: September 24, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »
ESPN deep dive on Messi and Barcelona.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/barcelona/story/4189133/messi-and-barcelona-the-inside-story-on-how-everything-fell-apartand-whats-next?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Barca should have taken the $150M from City and moved on.  It's hard to do, but IMO they can't really commit to a start over until he is gone.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2959 on: September 24, 2020, 12:15:36 PM »

You have kids on the 10th or 11th Club team paying the same as the top few teams even though they are not getting the same level of training.

That's nuts.  Our club pricing is tiered.  MRL is 1 fee, top team state play is another lower fee, 2nd and 3rd teams are lower fees.  We all have the same number of trainings regardless of level but its tournament fees/obligations and the coaching level you receive.  Lots of greedy bastards.

If you truly want to grow the sport of soccer, you have to revise the current structure and get rid of the high priced pay for play.  It needs to be a much lower dollar amount that is somehow subsidized by the U.S. Soccer Federation and in turn better training of youth coaches.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2960 on: September 26, 2020, 08:37:29 AM »
United look like trash.  Never seen a team get so lucky in 90 + 11 minutes.  Brighton hit the post 5 times and then gift a 99th minute penalty. Brutal.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2961 on: September 26, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
United look like trash.  Never seen a team get so lucky in 90 + 11 minutes.  Brighton hit the post 5 times and then gift a 99th minute penalty. Brutal.

Caught the final few goals late which appears to have been nice timing.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2962 on: September 26, 2020, 11:05:21 AM »
No Kepa between the sticks for Chelsea today. Biggest bust ever?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2963 on: September 26, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »
Don't know if anyone else is paying attention to the Championship, but Reading FC starting with 3 wins is pretty surreal. For a team that always tends to start slow, Veljko Paunovic is looking like a surprisingly good hire. Royals all alone at the top of the table!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2964 on: September 26, 2020, 04:36:33 PM »
Solid 87 minutes for Josh Sargent today, and, this assist:

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1309902843420143616?s=19

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2965 on: October 01, 2020, 06:39:20 AM »
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:10:20 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2966 on: October 01, 2020, 12:20:12 PM »
Dest to Barca official. 

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1311663730392920069

Most of them are still really young, but there have never been more Americans at big European clubs than right now.  Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig, Juve, Chelsea, Man City. I remember when it was a huge deal that Yedlin went to Newcastle.  If everyone is healthy and playing for a competent coach, we could actually make some noise. 2026 on home soil is gonna be the year.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2967 on: October 01, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
Dest to Barca official. 

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelona/status/1311663730392920069

Most of them are still really young, but there have never been more Americans at big European clubs than right now.  Barca, Bayern, Dortmund, Leipzig, Juve, Chelsea, Man City. I remember when it was a huge deal that Yedlin went to Newcastle.  If everyone is healthy and playing for a competent coach, we could actually make some noise. 2026 on home soil is gonna be the year.

Whats the most significant for me is that they aren't being brought on as "token" players for marketing purposes, or to be loaned out incessantly and maybe be developed (like Miazga at Chelsea or Steffan so far at Man City).  Reyna, like Pulisic before him, is an everyday player at BVB that fans are stoked about.  Adams is a mainstay in the midfield in Leipzig, Pulisic is arguably one of the 3-4 most important players for Chelsea when he's been healthy the last 9 months, and Dest incited a battle between Bayen and Barca which doesn't happen over a nobody.  I thought the McKinnie to Juve move was a bit odd, but he's already gotten 2 appearances.

And that doesn't even count a guy like Chris Richards who has made 2 appearances for Bayern and hasn't been capped yet for the USMNT yet or Tim Weah who is on another very good club at Lille who has been sidetracked by injury lately.  He's also not going to be a #1 striker given the talent, but I still really like Tyler Boyd for depth up top and he's getting meaningful time for Besiktas and is only 25.  He could be positioning himself for another jump up.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2968 on: October 01, 2020, 05:29:56 PM »
I'm actually okay with Steffan at City.  They play a ton of games and always take their lesser cups seriously.  He's already gotten two appearances, and you have to assume that he'll be their FA Cup keeper too.  Plus, even being in a situation where you can face Kevin De Bryune free kicks in training everyday, you're going to get better.  Miazga was always going to be a part of Chelsea's loan army, and with the manager turnover rate their, it was always going to be tough to break through.  I'm actually a little more disappointed that CCV hasn't been able to make the jump to the first team with the defensive injuries and departures that have happened there.  But overall, I agree, the fact that these players are getting minutes for the most part will go a long way in their development.

shoothoops

• All American

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2970 on: October 03, 2020, 07:49:11 PM »
I'm actually okay with Steffan at City.  They play a ton of games and always take their lesser cups seriously.  He's already gotten two appearances, and you have to assume that he'll be their FA Cup keeper too.  Plus, even being in a situation where you can face Kevin De Bryune free kicks in training everyday, you're going to get better.  Miazga was always going to be a part of Chelsea's loan army, and with the manager turnover rate their, it was always going to be tough to break through.  I'm actually a little more disappointed that CCV hasn't been able to make the jump to the first team with the defensive injuries and departures that have happened there.  But overall, I agree, the fact that these players are getting minutes for the most part will go a long way in their development.

I wish he had stayed at Reading. I think the Championship was a good level for him and he would've been a key part of a team that looks ready to make a push for promotion. Not sure if it was an interest factor or if the price was too steep. I see he moved on loan to Anderlecht today. Could have worse landing spots, but I'm not sure the level of competition is higher there than he would've faced in the second tier in England.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2971 on: October 03, 2020, 08:13:21 PM »
Am I the only Everton fan on this board 👀👀👀👀👀👀

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2972 on: October 03, 2020, 08:51:44 PM »
I wish he had stayed at Reading. I think the Championship was a good level for him and he would've been a key part of a team that looks ready to make a push for promotion. Not sure if it was an interest factor or if the price was too steep. I see he moved on loan to Anderlecht today. Could have worse landing spots, but I'm not sure the level of competition is higher there than he would've faced in the second tier in England.

It's kind of a weird place for him to be at this point in his career, but at the same time if anyone can get him to take a significant jump, it's probably Kompany.

Not really a fan of the club, but have enjoyed watching them so far this year. James seems to be the missing piece. Ancelotti is a top manager. My "bold" prediction with my prem buddies a week or so ago was that they'll sneak into the top 4. Think the only thing holding them back at this point is Pickford, his form has dropped off a cliff since the World Cup.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2973 on: October 03, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »

Did you begin as a fan because of Tim Howard... and you've stuck around for the pain?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2974 on: October 04, 2020, 06:23:52 AM »
Did you begin as a fan because of Tim Howard... and you've stuck around for the pain?

Yup, adopted them as my EPL team since Lando and Timmy were there.  Could’ve been worse, almost picked Fulham when Clint was there.