collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU BB Fans ..elites, skew Democratic  (Read 6605 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
MU BB Fans ..elites, skew Democratic
« on: April 21, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »
This was an interesting read:

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/120368144.html

The chart that pertains to MU BB is here:

It's nice to see MU fans are 2nd most influential (in terms of politics) .. then skew slightly liberal -- in comparison to Badger football/basketball fans, who are smack in the middle of Liberal/Conservative and are less influential.

Would have guessed Badger fans were more Republican than MU's fans.

Let's see if we can have a "demographic" conversation instead of a political one...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: MU BB Fans ..elites, skew Democratic
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:03:47 PM »
So 6 out of the 10 panther fans are libs?   ?-(  
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:42:38 PM by ZiggysF*ckinFryBoy »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »
The pro rodeo/NASCAR dichotomy is puzzling. 
Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:26:38 PM »
Am I missing the WNBA?

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
Odd that Badger basketball skews further right that MU ball

Some of the other stations are interesting too. TLC, Travel, Discovery and History channel all skew right.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 02:45:14 PM »
Man those UWM fans are a bunch of commies!!!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 03:42:14 PM »
Fishing & NASCAR - nothing like living up to the stereotype.  Rodeo???

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »

Must be a small sample size
SS Marquette

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:33 PM »
Odd that Badger basketball skews further right that MU ball

Some of the other stations are interesting too. TLC, Travel, Discovery and History channel all skew right.

I don't know, seems right to me.

They tend to be a more stolid, conservative program that decides a system is better than versatility (and/or volatility) which provides a weird sense of comfort in their fans knowing they'll always be consistent even if it means they won't reach the highest highs and never the lowest lows.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 05:21:56 PM »

Pro rodeo skews heavy Hispanic--24% of their audience. NASCAR has heavy sponsorships and the audience is wealtheir, more educated.  

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 06:28:30 PM »

NASCAR has heavy sponsorships and the audience is wealtheir, more educated. 

You may very well be right, but that doesn't fit the stereotype in my head.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 06:52:49 PM »
NASCAR fan and "educated" are mutually exclusive.  I have been to one race (Daytona) and the only thing lower than the avg IQ was the avg tooth count. 

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 12:56:10 AM »
Aren't politics frowned upon here on Scoop?
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:39:31 AM »
Aren't politics frowned upon here on Scoop?

Hilltopper is just trying to goad people into stepping out of line.  He's ban-happy.  Watch yo'self.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
Skatastophy: Banned!

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
Hilltopper is just trying to goad people into stepping out of line.  He's ban-happy.  Watch yo'self.

He also deletes comments when he leaves crap from like PJ up
hypocrite much?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 11:41:55 AM »
If you wanted to say, we delete personal attacks against forum members, yes.

If you don't like that kind of rule, feel free to not utilize this forum.

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 01:36:27 PM »

Yes, there seem to be some people banned her for personal attacks and others not banned.  The life of a moderator I suppose. 

Back to the thread, who defines ELITE?  Elite what?  Elite douchebag?  Elite person?  Elite jerk?  Elitist?  I do not see the word elite used once in that article.  Maybe the OP can explain what elite means.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 02:22:14 PM »
Yes, there seem to be some people banned her for personal attacks and others not banned.  The life of a moderator I suppose. 

We do our best.  There are a handful of people here that are constantly attacked, and constantly attack others, and it becomes very hard to separate the wheat from the chaff.  We try.

Back to the thread, who defines ELITE?  Elite what?  Elite douchebag?  Elite person?  Elite jerk?  Elitist?  I do not see the word elite used once in that article.  Maybe the OP can explain what elite means.

Look on the right hand axis of the graph above.  It's labeled "elites + influencer index."  I shortened it to "elites."

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 05:29:57 PM »
Thank you.  Perhaps I should contact the author to understand his or her definition of Elite on the Y axis of that table.

On the other subject, some moderators are probably better at it than others.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
Remember, the author of the JS article isn't the one who could explain the term "Elites + influencer index" .. try the firm that created the study.

Or perhaps if there are some Marketing majors who could properly explain the term.  I tried Google, but came up empty.

.. some moderators are probably better at it than others.

Actually, the four of us are equally awesome.

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 07:53:38 PM »
i'm not really sure what it means, nor do I think it really means anything of substance. interesting nonetheless.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 09:27:25 PM »
Remember, the author of the JS article isn't the one who could explain the term "Elites + influencer index" .. try the firm that created the study.

Or perhaps if there are some Marketing majors who could properly explain the term.  I tried Google, but came up empty.
If I remember correctly the information was sourced to Scarborough which is a study of consumer behavior and media habits done on a local market level -- similar to Simmons or MRI studies that are done based on a national sample. 

The definitions of "Elites" and "Influencers" are not standard questions but rather are based on questions contained in the study which the author grouped together to create those definitions.  There are many ways to do it but "Elites" could be based on those who have achieved high levels of education, have high HH Income, visit art museums, etc., etc.  Influencers would have been created in the same way, by grouping a number of qualifiers which the authors of the study feel define someone who is an "Influencer".

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
based on "Elites" and "influencers", I'm guessing this poll was done by the Big 16.   ::)

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 04:15:44 PM »
Not sure exactly what influencers they are using, but the "elite" influencers usually used are things like education and income, at least most often.

Not a lot here really surprises me. Marquette fans are generally alumni or parents of students. I'd argue that more than any other school in Wisconsin, MU parents are alum themselves as well. MU fandom is kind of self-perpetuating through generations.

And the more educated a person is, the more likely he is to lean Democrat (there are tons of polls backing this up).

As for the Badgers, the majority of their fans are state residents, most of whom never went to school there, or didn't graduate from college at all (this is actually most likely, as their allegiances would then probably lie with the school from which they are an alum). While UW grads probably lean further left than MU grads, UW grads do not constitute a majority of their fans. And UW students are probably less likely to have parents who are UW alum than an MU student.

Other factors could be that the highest percentage of MU fans in Wisconsin live in Milwaukee County, which leans Democrat. Sure, Dane County is heavily liberal but I'd say the rest of UW fans in the rest of Wisconsin (and in more Republican areas) outnumber them in raw totals.