collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Filthy. Simply filthy.  (Read 5621 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 12:45:02 PM by rocky_warrior »
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Filthy. Simply filthy.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 12:46:38 PM »
Gosh...maybe I shouldn't have fixed the link, now that I've clicked on it.  Marathon runners are crazy people (no offense to Marathon runners in the crowd, but you have to admit you're sorta crazy).

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »
Is it really worth not  finding a port-a-potty for a minute?

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
WOW!!!! That's hilarious and disgusting at the same time!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
4never does that just sittin on his front porch.  "excuse me while I shat myself."

🏀

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 01:10:46 PM »
Gosh...maybe I shouldn't have fixed the link, now that I've clicked on it.  Marathon runners are crazy people (no offense to Marathon runners in the crowd, but you have to admit you're sorta crazy).

Hey! Let's run, for a long time. Just run.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 01:17:37 PM »
It's called jogging.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »
One of my colleagues ran it yesterday in Boston...she finished in 3:42.  She's a recovering cancer victim...very proud of her.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 03:25:45 PM »
stupid marathoners...

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/around-barstool/biggest-pet-peeves-about-marathoners/

1. Anybody Can Run the Marathon

It’s true, it’s true, anybody can run the marathon. Therefore it drives me nuts when people act like they have some god given gift that allows them to compete in this event. No you don’t. Now obviously you can’t just wake up on Marathon Monday and decide that you’re going to run the thing, but if you decide six months prior that you are going to run it, then anybody can get ready for it. Sure it takes lots of training and dedication, but no real athletic ability. If we roll back the clock six months to November 2010 and I decided that I wanted to play for the Red Sox on Marathon Monday the odds are that I’d still get a 97 mph fastball jammed down my face, but I sure as hell would be able to run the Marathon with no problem. You want to brag about running?  Beat a Kenyan.  Until then shut up.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 03:56:09 PM by socrplar125 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 03:29:32 PM »
An old girlfriend of mine, recently divorced for reasons that didn't come as a surprise to me as a former boyfriend, also ran and finished it yesterday.    I feel safe speculating that her 3:28 finish was her best time recently on so many levels.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 03:37:56 PM »
The Boston Marathon....brought to you by Boston Baked Beans, and the makers of OOPS I CRAPPED MY PANTS....
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/oops-i-crapped-my-pants/1049485/
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:40:03 PM »
One of my colleagues ran it yesterday in Boston...she finished in 3:42.  She's a recovering cancer victim...very proud of her.

3:42 is cool and all, but what about the relevant stats? -- how many dumps did she take on herself?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
3:42 is cool and all, but what about the relevant stats? -- how many dumps did she take on herself?

Zero dumps

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 04:01:58 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »
Is it really worth not  finding a port-a-potty for a minute?
You just ran for 3 hours in a race you trained for months.... and you were leading your division of one of the most competitive marathons in the world. You would really quit at that point? I'm not saying I would, but are you really in a position to judge someone who is willing to take public criticism to reach a goal and win a race? I've ran two marathons and it you only get one shot to get your best time, I can see not wanting to throw it away because you got sick.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
stupid marathoners...

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/around-barstool/biggest-pet-peeves-about-marathoners/

It’s true, it’s true, anybody can run the marathon. Therefore it drives me nuts when people act like they have some god given gift that allows them to compete in this event. No you don’t.
I get what you are saying and know people who brag about it all the time, but at the same time not everyone can do it. Your quote is almost as annoying as the people who think they are awesome for running a marathon. I've met 20x as many people who say they want to train for a marathon than people who actually do it. They'll run for 2 weeks and quit their training after a 8-mile run. Training for a marathon is a test of mental strength and preparation. Anyone can do it if they really put their heart into it. People who make comments like your quote above are the ones in life who think they can do anything, and end up doing nothing.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 07:15:04 PM »
stupid marathoners...

It’s true, it’s true, anybody can run the marathon. Therefore it drives me nuts when people act like they have some god given gift that allows them to compete in this event. No you don’t. Now obviously you can’t just wake up on Marathon Monday and decide that you’re going to run the thing, but if you decide six months prior that you are going to run it, then anybody can get ready for it. Sure it takes lots of training and dedication, but no real athletic ability. If we roll back the clock six months to November 2010 and I decided that I wanted to play for the Red Sox on Marathon Monday the odds are that I’d still get a 97 mph fastball jammed down my face, but I sure as hell would be able to run the Marathon with no problem. You want to brag about running?  Beat a Kenyan.  Until then shut up.

Anybody can run a marathon. Not anyone can run the Boston Marathon. You have to qualify. As a 60-65 year old male I had to run another marathon in under 4 hours to qualify for Boston. That certainly didn't put me into any elite category but it set me apart from most of the runners in my age group.

That said, I totally agree with you about how insufferable some runners can be. Even the "elites" are more freaks of nature than other worldly athletes.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:14 AM »
An old girlfriend of mine, recently divorced for reasons that didn't come as a surprise to me as a former boyfriend, also ran and finished it yesterday.    I feel safe speculating that her 3:28 finish was her best time recently on so many levels.   
You been stalking her on Facebook?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »
Never been on facebook. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »
stupid marathoners...

It’s true, it’s true, anybody can run the marathon. Therefore it drives me nuts when people act like they have some god given gift that allows them to compete in this event. No you don’t. Now obviously you can’t just wake up on Marathon Monday and decide that you’re going to run the thing, but if you decide six months prior that you are going to run it, then anybody can get ready for it. Sure it takes lots of training and dedication, but no real athletic ability.

But the fact that a lot of people *can* do it, but only a relative few actually go through the effort, probably speaks more for the dedication of those people.  While I know some runners can be annoying, the fact that someone is willing to train for that amount of time, and run 26 miles, while getting nothing but personal satisfaction out of it, is impressive.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 10:31:41 AM »
Anyone can do it...IF they have the dedication and perseverance and guts and willpower.  That eliminates most people I know.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 11:25:11 AM »
I think a big factor is how far you are in the race when you crap yourself.  If you have a mile to go, eh might as well finish.  If you have 10 miles to go you should probably clean up.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 11:41:19 AM »
Can't they go before the race?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 01:53:25 PM »
I agree that anyone can start a marathon; not everyone can finish it without a lot of preparation.  It takes a plan, mental toughness to keep at it for a long time over months of training, etc.  It  takes commitment and some other attributes to finish.  Unfortunately, many in America today don’t have these skills, unless it is sitting in front of a video game for hours eating chips!  As for running the Boston Marathon, as mentioned, not many at all can run it.  They are freaks, even to qualify. 

I needed something to motivate me to get into shape.  I signed up for a marathon last spring for a fall marathon.  Ran it last fall (when I say "ran", I mean jogged, and slowly at times).  I am not bragging and never bring it up, but it seems relevant in this thread.   

In my middle age, I found myself getting soft physically and mentally.  I wanted something different and difficult to challenge myself and mentally push me.  I thought about biking, which I enjoy, but it seemed too easy and there isn’t a race that sets a standard, like a marathon.  I wanted something that would be difficult for me, which biking wasn’t.  Also, running is very cheap.  No expensive equipment.  I just learned that buying a good pair of shoes is a must, but still, that’s $125.00.  Plus, you can do it anywhere and don’t need a partner; so I can run at 5:00 in the morning or 9:00 at night, depending upon my schedule.  Important stuff when your married with kids.   

Last spring and summer, going from never having run, to a marathon, was one painful, painful summer.  I had to struggle through it, as I started from zero.   I was not borne to run, but by the fall, my legs started to feel a little better and I did the damn thing and finished it.  Terrible finish time, but at least I did it, which was the goal.  I doubt I’ll ever be a Boston Marathoner, but I am going to run a marathon again this fall.  Why?  It forces one to stay motivated, get/stay in shape, and made me mentally tougher.  So, for me, running a marathon works and I get/got the results I wanted.   You can’t just train for a week or just show up and expect to finish. 

Now, I actually enjoy running.  To my amazement.  A short run is now 6 to 8 miles, which before I started running sounded insane. 

And, I didn't see anyone poop themselves.  That has to be an odd occurrence, but when you have 10's of thousands of people running something like this, there will be a few who do stupid things.  But I understand the mentality behind it.  When you train for a long time, with the mental outlook that I am finishing this no matter what happens - no excuses... well things like that can happen.  You can’t give yourself any excuse not to train or not to finish, you have to have the attitude that “I am finishing this no matter what, even if I have drag myself across the finish line... ”  I personally would draw that line at pissing/pooping myself, as that is just gross and a health issue for other runners, etc.  But I get the mentality of it. 

Why the hostility by some towards anyone that would run a marathon, that I find strange, not so much people that run.   If you really are offended and upset by “marathon” runners, maybe you need to focus your hatred elsewhere and let people live their lives...?  Heck, focus on people that get fat and eat poorly and suck health care dollars from all of us.  Or just let people live how they want, unless it really effects you.  Just my two cents.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
Anybody can run a marathon. Not anyone can run the Boston Marathon. You have to qualify. As a 60-65 year old male I had to run another marathon in under 4 hours to qualify for Boston. That certainly didn't put me into any elite category but it set me apart from most of the runners in my age group.

That said, I totally agree with you about how insufferable some runners can be. Even the "elites" are more freaks of nature than other worldly athletes.

Congrats Lenny.  Making Boston is really an accomplishment, and makes you a freak, in my humble opinion.  It sure does set you apart from the rest of us.  Your a runner, I'm a jogger.