collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Filthy. Simply filthy.  (Read 5620 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Filthy. Simply filthy.
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
I agree that anyone can start a marathon; not everyone can finish it without a lot of preparation.  It takes a plan, mental toughness to keep at it for a long time over months of training, etc.  It  takes commitment and some other attributes to finish.  Unfortunately, many in America today don’t have these skills, unless it is sitting in front of a video game for hours eating chips!  As for running the Boston Marathon, as mentioned, not many at all can run it.  They are freaks, even to qualify. 

I needed something to motivate me to get into shape.  I signed up for a marathon last spring for a fall marathon.  Ran it last fall (when I say "ran", I mean jogged, and slowly at times).  I am not bragging and never bring it up, but it seems relevant in this thread.   

In my middle age, I found myself getting soft physically and mentally.  I wanted something different and difficult to challenge myself and mentally push me.  I thought about biking, which I enjoy, but it seemed too easy and there isn’t a race that sets a standard, like a marathon.  I wanted something that would be difficult for me, which biking wasn’t.  Also, running is very cheap.  No expensive equipment.  I just learned that buying a good pair of shoes is a must, but still, that’s $125.00.  Plus, you can do it anywhere and don’t need a partner; so I can run at 5:00 in the morning or 9:00 at night, depending upon my schedule.  Important stuff when your married with kids.   

Last spring and summer, going from never having run, to a marathon, was one painful, painful summer.  I had to struggle through it, as I started from zero.   I was not borne to run, but by the fall, my legs started to feel a little better and I did the damn thing and finished it.  Terrible finish time, but at least I did it, which was the goal.  I doubt I’ll ever be a Boston Marathoner, but I am going to run a marathon again this fall.  Why?  It forces one to stay motivated, get/stay in shape, and made me mentally tougher.  So, for me, running a marathon works and I get/got the results I wanted.   You can’t just train for a week or just show up and expect to finish. 

Now, I actually enjoy running.  To my amazement.  A short run is now 6 to 8 miles, which before I started running sounded insane. 

And, I didn't see anyone poop themselves.  That has to be an odd occurrence, but when you have 10's of thousands of people running something like this, there will be a few who do stupid things.  But I understand the mentality behind it.  When you train for a long time, with the mental outlook that I am finishing this no matter what happens - no excuses... well things like that can happen.  You can’t give yourself any excuse not to train or not to finish, you have to have the attitude that “I am finishing this no matter what, even if I have drag myself across the finish line... ”  I personally would draw that line at pissing/pooping myself, as that is just gross and a health issue for other runners, etc.  But I get the mentality of it. 

Why the hostility by some towards anyone that would run a marathon, that I find strange, not so much people that run.   If you really are offended and upset by “marathon” runners, maybe you need to focus your hatred elsewhere and let people live their lives...?  Heck, focus on people that get fat and eat poorly and suck health care dollars from all of us.  Or just let people live how they want, unless it really effects you.  Just my two cents.

Says the guy named GOO....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
Congrats Lenny.  Making Boston is really an accomplishment, and makes you a freak, in my humble opinion.  It sure does set you apart from the rest of us.  Your a runner, I'm a jogger. 

Thanks, Goo, for your very kind words. I ran my first marathon at 56 and feel very fortunate to have been able to cross Boston off my "bucket list". I don't see anything beyond a half marathon in my future - the training just is too hard on my old back, knees, etc. Congrats to you and good luck in your second marathon.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »
Did I fail to mention she placed 1st in the the Moctezuma's Revenge Mudder?
SS Marquette