[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: A new sexual assault allegation on campus  (Read 16616 times)

jtrash37

• Starter
A new sexual assault allegation on campus
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »
Just reported by WTMJ 4.  Regardless of whether or not it is a bb player, it isn't a trend anyone should feel comfortable with.

Marquette Fan in WI

• Starter
Re: A new sexual assault allegation on campus
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 10:35:39 PM »
Yeah I saw it on twitter, but couldn't find any of the news stations reporting it.  Came up with a "Marquette" search.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 11:21:14 PM »
Stanford just had an on-campus break-in and assault on a grad student a few days ago.
SS Marquette

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 11:42:56 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/119744084.html

"In the most recent incident, the Milwaukee County district attorney's office is reviewing an incident involving a Marquette University student who allegedly sexually assaulted a woman on Feb. 27.

According to a report at Marquette's Public Safety Department, the alleged assault occurred on Sunday, Feb. 27, between 12 a.m. and 1 a.m.

"A student reported being sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in Humphrey Hall," the report said. The Marquette report says that the Milwaukee Police Department was contacted.

Miller said the university's Public Safety Department met with the victim following the incident. She said that it wasn't until March 31 that the victim filed a report with the department.

Once the woman filed a report, that triggered a case review with the student conduct system. "That is under way," Miller said.

Deputy District Attorney Kent Lovern confirmed that his office was reviewing the case, and that a decision of charges, if any, would likely be made in mid-May."

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 06:47:17 AM »
certainly puts a tarnish on the the MU team (assuming the fact that it happened again in Humphrey that it is a BBall player), should make for great table discussion at the team banquet tonight...

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 06:53:24 AM »
This is NOT Marquette! Distressing for the young women, the reputation of the school & the future of the program. When did Marquette turn into the bad old days of Oklahoma football?????

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 06:59:12 AM »
certainly puts a tarnish on the the MU team (assuming the fact that it happened again in Humphrey that it is a BBall player), should make for great table discussion at the team banquet tonight...

I'm not sure why you'd make the assumption that it was a BBall player.  That is a rather large building.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 07:25:41 AM »
Buuuttttt Hards, it's so much easier to do it.  And it's the intertubes, so conjecture and rumor are valid while facts and reason are shunned.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 07:47:07 AM »
The story says:

The woman told Marquette Public Safety the incident took place just after midnight on Feb. 27. She went to campus police that morning but she waited to file a formal complaint until March 31. At that point, the school notified police.

If I'm reading this correctly, it was just after midnight on Saturday Feb. 26 (which would be Sunday Feb. 27).  On Sunday, Feb. 27, Marquette played Providence at home and won 86-62.  Tip was 3PM

http://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/pc_02_27_11

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 07:51:02 AM »
I find this troubling regardless of what happened...

1) Assuming the players (assuming it is players) being accused of something are guilty, the problems associated with that are obvious.

2) This was reported to Pubic Safetey a couple days after the previous one was reported, which I have to admit raises a huge red flag. The timing is just a little too convenient, for me not to conclude that it is questionable at best, and perhaps intentional at worst.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 07:52:29 AM »
The story says:

The woman told Marquette Public Safety the incident took place just after midnight on Feb. 27. She went to campus police that morning but she waited to file a formal complaint until March 31. At that point, the school notified police.

If I'm reading this correctly, it was just after midnight on Saturday Feb. 26 (which would be Sunday Feb. 27).  On Sunday, Feb. 27, Marquette played Providence at home and won 86-62.  Tip was 3PM

Annnnnndddddddddd.....

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:07:44 AM »
The story says:

Does the team stay in a hotel the night before home games?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 08:26:53 AM »
Annnnnndddddddddd.....

Just that they were in town that weekend.  No away game.

That is all.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 08:28:41 AM »
Does the team stay in a hotel the night before home games?

I thought they did, though I could be wrong.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 08:32:47 AM »
How many students live in Humphrey? 
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

immaeagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:09 AM »
How many students live in Humphrey? 

I'd say there are what? 6 or 8 floors? I believe all of the scholarship student-athletes live there, not just basketball players. I lived there my junior year. All in all, maybe 500?

immaeagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 08:42:26 AM »
The story says:

Due to the "mum is the word" policy, I highly doubt we will ever know if it was a basketball player. IF, big IF, it was -- this is a big problem.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 08:55:53 AM »
First, and foremost I feel bad for and pray for the young lady. Second, I am ashamed that it occurred at my alma mater. Third, don't you think that if a basketball player was involved that that would've been a headline already?

immaeagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2011, 09:02:44 AM »
The only indication that the last assault accusation was a basketball player was all rumor. None of this will hit the headlines until someone gets charged.

Apparantely a lot of people know of whispers of who the initial accusation was against -- I wonder if similar rumors are out about whether or not this was a basketball player. Just heard from someone that this accusation is also a male athlete, no word if it was bball or not.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »
Due to the "mum is the word" policy, I highly doubt we will ever know if it was a basketball player. IF, big IF, it was -- this is a big problem.

I'm confused. If we'll never know if it was a basketball player how is this a big problem for the basketball program?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2011, 09:11:38 AM »
This is the first I have heard about this. I had heard about the first one back in december. And not all scholarship athletes live in humphrey.

immaeagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 09:12:35 AM »
I'm confused. If we'll never know if it was a basketball player how is this a big problem for the basketball program?

There are different types of problems. 1) It is a fundamental problem if this is happening, whether or not you or I know about it publically 2) It is a bigger public, reputation problem (on top of the initial problem) IF it actually comes out (i.e. player X charged with sexual assault).

immaeagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »
Now the JSonline is saying it was a male student athlete in the Feb 27th incident.

Do we know which student athletes live in Humphery? Basketball for sure? I don't think golf? (A friend of mine lived in an apartment with Van Sickel) Soccer? Track/cross-country?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 09:31:54 AM »
Do we know which student athletes live in Humphery? Basketball for sure? I don't think golf? (A friend of mine lived in an apartment with Van Sickel) Soccer? Track/cross-country?

Imma, please leave the investigation to the authorities.

immaeagle

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 09:46:31 AM »
Imma, please leave the investigation to the authorities.

I really don't want to get in an argument, but why is conjecture as to the POSSIBILITY that a basketball player was involved immediately shot down? Personally, I dislike that the previous public rumors about who the first accusations were against were not talked about. I'd like to know that information and I'm mature enough to understand the difference between rumor and fact (as I am sure most on this board are as well). 

I would like to assume that we are all adults and would be able value information that is presented as "it is being rumored that...xyz" without running to the roof and reporting it as fact.

feedback