[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: HMMM... This Game Answered a Lot  (Read 14580 times)

willie warrior

• All American
HMMM... This Game Answered a Lot
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:25:58 PM »
After that mediocre perofrmance it is time to put out where we are headed:
~~UNC: 7 McDonald's All Americans; MU none
~~Buzz: An adequate job this year. Trending down, but next year is the final evaluation year. Lots of people want to throw big$$$ at him, but until he recruits some big time players, do not do it. Give him a 1 year extension with a little more juice and load the contract with incentives.
~~Post Play: We just made Zeller look like all world. We did that with Plumlee also. Otule is not the answer. He is a back up. Get that through your brain pattern. Gardner is the future. Buzz must get a Big/PF that has potential, to better our chances.
~~Cadougan and Gardner are the future, until Buzz lands some big time talent.
~~Recruiting: Next year's class has more switchables, and is not that highly regarded. If we want to comptete at the next level, Buzz better get his ass in gear, and get some big time post talent. We also need one down town shooter.
~~ Start scheduling better NC games to build for the next level.
~~PG: There is no problem with Cadougan--he can play in the open court, and will run the show for the next two years.
This year was very frustraing, but this game exposed all the weaknesses.

If UNC can have 7 McDonald's all americans, why can't we have one?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: HMMM... This Game Answered a Lot
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »
Did we just lose in the Sweet 16 of the NIT?

We were in the freaking Sweet 16.  That defines a frustrating season for you?  Would I like more?  Of course I would.  All but 1 team would like more at the end of the year.  But we were in the Sweet 16 this year.  One of the final 16 teams playing, out of 360+ Division 1 teams. You sound like we had the season DePaul did.

And believe me, I'm as frustrated as the next at how this game went, and I've been very hard on Buzz and some of the players this year.  But this was a successful year and I'm looking forward to the future (hopefully) with Buzz.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »

Partly because to become a McDonald's All American they routinely look to where you signed to play ball.  If you choose Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas you suddenly seem to get honored as a McDonald's All American.  Or at least it seems this way.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:40:38 PM »
You're delusional and possibly intoxicated.

Butler, DJO, Crowder and (potentially) Gardner are "big time players.

We made Zeller look all world because Otule is basically a freshman and Gardner IS a freshman, you boob. Our passing into the post was terrible. Otule will be a borderline force by the time he's a senior and if Gardner can control himself at the dinner table he'll be all Big East...maybe next year. Write that down.

Where do you get Cadougan is "the future?" I have to say, where we're lacking is at point guard. I like Junior and he seems like he's working to get better, but he's not a big time player. He cannot and is afraid to shoot, which is death. He was so over matched tonight is wasn't even funny.  We had some good looks, but my God we were over our head at the point guard position.

PS: McDonald's All Amercians are about as over rated as the Zack Greinke acquisition by the Brewers.

I read your post and I realize you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 10:45:08 PM »
took you long enough tonight wee willie.   ::)

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 10:48:06 PM »
Where do you get Cadougan is "the future?" I have to say, where we're lacking is at point guard. I like Junior and he seems like he's working to get better, but he's not a big time player. He cannot and is afraid to shoot, which is death. He was so over matched tonight is wasn't even funny.  We had some good looks, but my God we were over our head at the point guard position.

Cadougan took 8 shots and scored 10 points in 20 minutes. 1 TO . he has become much more agressive and better defensively over the course of the season. We are set at point next year.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
Our passing into the post was terrible.

Our passing into the post is terrible when Chris Otule is in the post because the only passes he can catch are lob passes.  Throw it hard, he can't catch it.  Drive and dish, he can't catch it.  The thing that drove me nuts tonight is that we kept trying to feed him the ball when EVERY SINGLE TIME we did it was as good as a turnover.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »
The comments on the passes into our post players makes me realize there are many posters who have no idea what they're watching.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 11:00:33 PM »
I agree the passes into the post weren't good at all, buta lot of that has to do with the fact that against a good aggressive big defense there are no passes that he can catch.  He is a terrible receiver of the ball.  I have spent a season watching him fumble basketballs put right into his lap for dunks and lay-ups and the only passes I have seen him catch are lobs when he knows they are coming.  We had less trouble getting the ball to Gardner when he was in there because they threw the ball harder to him.

warriors1991

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 11:01:35 PM »
I agree the passes into the post weren't good at all, buta lot of that has to do with the fact that against a good aggressive big defense there are no passes that he can catch.  He is a terrible receiver of the ball.  I have spent a season watching him fumble basketballs put right into his lap for dunks and lay-ups and the only passes I have seen him catch are lobs when he knows they are coming.  We had less trouble getting the ball to Gardner when he was in there because they threw the ball harder to him.

Can we argue about our post passing in ONE thread instead of TWO?

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
Can we argue about our post passing in ONE thread instead of TWO?
Fair enough.  I've got nothing to add anyway other than repeating myself.

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »

Because the last coach we had who had the ability to recruit players of that caliber was Al McGuire. And he's no longer available.

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 01:46:08 AM »
You're delusional and possibly intoxicated.

Butler, DJO, Crowder and (potentially) Gardner are "big time players.

We made Zeller look all world because Otule is basically a freshman and Gardner IS a freshman, you boob. Our passing into the post was terrible. Otule will be a borderline force by the time he's a senior and if Gardner can control himself at the dinner table he'll be all Big East...maybe next year. Write that down.

I completely agree with you about point guard. Cadougan has shown flashes of promise, but really good teams in college basketball need consistent PG play as much as any other thing. Erratic play at PG leads to erratic team play as much as any other factor in college ball and Cadougan was the definition of erratic most of the season.

Look at tonight. When everything is crashing down for a team, especially against a pressure defense with lots of length, it's vital to have a reliable PG to run some good offensive sets, not turn the ball over, and keep an offense calm.

Cadougan didn't get to play much as a freshman and maybe next year he can be much more consistent, but i certainly wouldn't count on it. For anyone to say we have no problem with Cadougan, i agree with you that it's hard envision what willie was watching. Besides maybe simply more skilled size, PG is without question my most important concern for next year. Very erratic point guard play hurt us as much this year than anything else.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Willie finally re-emerges to celebrate
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 01:58:36 AM »
Willie - I assume that by this year being "frustrating" you mean for you since you had to endure a Marquette Sweet 16 for only the third time in 34 years?

I believe you are forgetting almost all of your audience is rooting FOR Marquette when they play basketball, therefore the rest of us would NOT be frustrated by going to the Sweet 16.

However, you may want to reread your post because I believe you accidentally complemented an MU player.  I am sure you simply left out some "not" references between words because as you wrote it a reader is going to misunderstand and think that you actually intended to complement Junior Cadougan.  I am sure you believe he is as terrible as you believe all the other MU players and coaches to be.

It is funny to juxtapose Pitino practically saying that Buzz prepares his teams better than any other coach in the country with your expert opinion, but you posts do provide a nice escape from reality, so thanks for coming back to post!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 03:01:40 AM »
Look out, Chicos! Willie aiming for your top spot as the "Most Ignored"!!!
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
McDonald's All Americans
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 09:52:25 AM »
Found this on another board

# of NCAA tourney wins since 2000,  # of McDonald's All Americans since 2000

1.  Duke, 31, 22
2.  Kansas, 30, 12
3.  UNC, 29, 22
3.  Mich St, 29, 7
5. UConn, 23, 6
5. Florida, 23, 8
7. UCLA, 21, 8
8. Kentucky, 20, 9
8. Arizona, 20, 5
10. Wisconsin, 18, 1
10. Texas, 18, 11
12. Pitt, 15, 1
13. Memphis, 14, 6

Confirms also what I said the other day about Pitt and Wisconsin overachieving.  They do more with less and then when they get to the tournament and lose, people pile on.  Simply put, they don't have the same talent as everyone else and the numbers above bear that out.

ringout

• Team Captain
Re: McDonald's All Americans
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:23 AM »
Found this on another board

# of NCAA tourney wins since 2000,  # of McDonald's All Americans since 2000

1.  Duke, 31, 22
2.  Kansas, 30, 12
3.  UNC, 29, 22
3.  Mich St, 29, 7
5. UConn, 23, 6
5. Florida, 23, 8
7. UCLA, 21, 8
8. Kentucky, 20, 9
8. Arizona, 20, 5
10. Wisconsin, 18, 1
10. Texas, 18, 11
12. Pitt, 15, 1
13. Memphis, 14, 6

Confirms also what I said the other day about Pitt and Wisconsin overachieving.  They do more with less and then when they get to the tournament and lose, people pile on.  Simply put, they don't have the same talent as everyone else and the numbers above bear that out.

Given that in a previous post on this very thread, you state that McDAA status comes from choice of college, You are not making any sense.  Wi and Pitt get very few McDAA because NC, Duke aand Kansas get them all (by your opinion).

Are you talking out of your azz again?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »
Confirms also what I said the other day about Pitt and Wisconsin overachieving.  Simply put, they don't have the same talent as everyone else and the numbers above bear that out.

You're oversimplifying in another effort to pat yourself on the a$$.  There is nothing above that 'confirms' over-achievement.  You'd have to get a lot deeper in order to make any correlation.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
This post answers a lot about Willie Warrior.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 10:23:28 AM »
There were still questions?    Character revealed. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »
I am not saying we should have won the game, but the game plan was bad. I understand what Buzz was trying to do. Avoid taking threes that could end up in fast breaks and force the ball inside. However, the flaw in that plan was without taking threes the middle gets clogged up. MU really faultered when they had several attempted passes to Otule stolen and when they actually got the ball to Otule he did not score. I think he must of forbidden Buyckes from shooting. I think Buyckes took only took two shots. We needed to take three point shots to have a chance in that game and the plan was designed not to take three point shots. Given that North Carolina had two bigmen to defend on the inside, it was a flawed plan to continuously try to feed Otule the ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2011, 10:46:01 AM »
Given that in a previous post on this very thread, you state that McDAA status comes from choice of college, You are not making any sense.  Wi and Pitt get very few McDAA because NC, Duke aand Kansas get them all (by your opinion).

Are you talking out of your azz again?

Nope, this is another classic case of people not reading or merely getting lazy and not reading the entire thing.  It's ok, many here do it so don't feel like you are singled out.

Let me help you out with the KEY words.  I'll bold, blue and underline it for you.

"Partly because to become a McDonald's All American they routinely look to where you signed to play ball.  If you choose Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kentucky, Kansas you suddenly seem to get honored as a McDonald's All American.  Or at least it seems this way."

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
Recruiting ranks IMO mean much less than I used to think after seeing Vander this year...FWIW. Gardner was our worst rated recruit this year, and with that one move last night with that footwork, and the fake pass to do it up on Zeller I saw the one thing I needed to see to make me think he is the smartest, and most polished of the recruits that came in this year by far

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »
I am not saying we should have won the game, but the game plan was bad. I understand what Buzz was trying to do. Avoid taking threes that could end up in fast breaks and force the ball inside. However, the flaw in that plan was without taking threes the middle gets clogged up. MU really faultered when they had several attempted passes to Otule stolen and when they actually got the ball to Otule he did not score. I think he must of forbidden Buyckes from shooting. I think Buyckes took only took two shots. We needed to take three point shots to have a chance in that game and the plan was designed not to take three point shots. Given that North Carolina had two bigmen to defend on the inside, it was a flawed plan to continuously try to feed Otule the ball.

If that was indeed his plan his coaching acumen would have to be questioned.   Attack Zeller and Henson (the DPY) with Otule and Gardner??   I'd much rather do what we had done the whole year and focus on the drive and score, drive and dish, paint touches....might have "out-thunk" ourselves.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Confirms also what I said the other day about Pitt and Wisconsin overachieving.  They do more with less and then when they get to the tournament and lose, people pile on. 

Not to Highjack the Thread but Bo Ryan's record in the tournement has been astounding.  Since 2003 he has 13 wins BUT ONLY ONE HAS BEEN OVER A LOWER SEEDED (better) TEAM.  That was the win in 2009 as a twelve over a 5.  By contrast Buzz has 3 tournement wins and 2 (the two this year) are over teams with a lower seed.  Now to keep that in prospective this thread is prompted by MU's loss to a TWO SEED.  The lowest seeded team the great Bo Ryan has ever beaten in 9 years of tournement experience is a Five seed (they've done it twice including this year).  What would the opinion of Buzz been if we had just been beaten by a 8 seed?