[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Would you hold it against Buzz if he left?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Would you hold it against Buzz if he left?  (Read 4522 times)

martyconlonontherun

• All American
Would you hold it against Buzz if he left?
« on: March 20, 2011, 01:55:30 PM »
I've seen a lot of posters take Buzz's word as Gospel, especially "I'll stay as long as MU wants me." I have a feeling Buzz would encroach Crean like territory if he left so soon by bitter fans. I think this board over analyzes comments especially when talking to the media about stuff where can only say one thing. Buzz wasn't going to say his dream was to always coach at a big southern school.

I can't blame Buzz for leaving to go to OU, which I would assume is as close to a dream job for him as possible. Would you?

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Would you hold it against Buzz if he left?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »
I'd be sad, and really depressed that he left so quickly.  But I would not blame him.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
I would not blame for a second. Family comes first. I would be disappointed though.

g0warriors1

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 02:03:17 PM »
I would absolutely hold it against him. Anyone who would take him cant trust anything he says then...All his southern babble would be equated to that of Favre babble...

but lets not even discuss this! he aint leaving!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 02:06:06 PM »
It would only solidify my opinion that whenever a coach mentions the word "family" and willing to be here as long as they are wanted is lying through their teeth.

Now, what I know will happen is that if he leaves the "vast majority" (that's for you Lenny) of people will treat his departure a lot differently than other coaches who have left here...which I'll find to be an entertaining view of hypocrisy at it's finest.  Whether it's Majerus, KO, Crean, etc...the differences in how people react will be something a Psyc student should use as a case study because it will be clear as a bell.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »
Abandoning a school that gave you an amazing opportunity you wouldn't have gotten elsewhere after just three years?  Yeah, I'd have some resentment.

Fortunately I don't believe that's who Buzz is.
No Finish Line

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 02:12:47 PM »
Nope.
Didn't hold it against Crean, either.
Man's got to do what he thinks is best for himself and his family.
Of course, that doesn't mean I'd be pulling for him. I've never pulled for a coach who left Marquette.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 02:19:05 PM »
Nope.
Didn't hold it against Crean, either.
Man's got to do what he thinks is best for himself and his family.
Of course, that doesn't mean I'd be pulling for him. I've never pulled for a coach who left Marquette.

Even Majerus?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 02:22:35 PM »
Abandoning a school that gave you an amazing opportunity you wouldn't have gotten elsewhere after just three years?  Yeah, I'd have some resentment.

Fortunately I don't believe that's who Buzz is.
What is your career? Random, stupid example. Say you were in higher education and you could only get a job teaching at UW-LAX. They gave you a position people thought you weren't qualified but you exceeded most people's reputation. You get a great reputation as a professor and MU offers you more money to teach there. You graduated from MU and it is your dream job. You feel you should stay at UW-LAX?

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
What is your career? Random, stupid example. Say you were in higher education and you could only get a job teaching at UW-LAX. They gave you a position people thought you weren't qualified but you exceeded most people's reputation. You get a great reputation as a professor and MU offers you more money to teach there. You graduated from MU and it is your dream job. You feel you should stay at UW-LAX?

First, comparing UW-LAX to MU in the basketball sense is a poor analogy.  MU is a great job in the NCAA's best conference.  I don't think the same can be said about UW-LAX as an academic institution. 

Second, I don't believe any of the availabe jobs would qualify as Buzz's hands down, dream job.

If this were about an opening at UT, it may be a different story.
No Finish Line

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 02:33:15 PM »
Nope, the door swings both ways.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »
First, comparing UW-LAX to MU in the basketball sense is a poor analogy.  MU is a great job in the NCAA's best conference.  I don't think the same can be said about UW-LAX as an academic institution. 

Second, I don't believe any of the availabe jobs would qualify as Buzz's hands down, dream job.

If this were about an opening at UT, it may be a different story.
Sorry, just realized he graduated from Oklahoma City U., not OU. That's a big difference but he is still close to home.

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
I would, only to the extent that I don't think any of the opportunities are as good, overall, as MU.  If he goes to OU, he will be looking for another job in 3-4 years.  MU will allow him to build a great program.  Ask KO if he should have left.  I think TC may someday wonder the same thing, but he had lost faith that he could recruit to MU.  Buzz knows he can get good players to MU.  He should stay because it is a better job.

Someday, a truly better situation may arise.  As long Buzz handles the situation with integrity, God Speed.  OU is not a better situation.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »
I would be disappointed. I think he would be making a mistake from a his own personal selfish point of view since he has not yet proven himself to be a program builder. I will sound like Chicos but I think it takes a minimum of 5 years to really show what you can do.  Given the openings out there, I think a move now would be bad for him and bad for us.  Given his age and level of experience, Marquette is the perfect program for him right now.  Therefore, I can only conclude he isn't moving in the near term.  In a couple of years, the time might be right and I wouldn't hold anything against him if he decided to go.

One caveat, if he takes us to the final four this year, he will be an extremely hot commodity and he may be overwhelmed with temptation if not this year, it may be next year.  

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 02:59:05 PM »
I realize its cold in Milwaukee but Oklahoma? A dream job?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
Even Majerus?

Maybe Pakuni was a student manager for Majerus?  Perhaps Pakuni was a teenager that went to Majeru's b-ball camp was sat and farted upon?

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
Bad time to unload real estate in milwaukee. he'd take a beating

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »
If I said I want your body now, if I could escape the crowd somehow...

No, unless he said "It's Oklahoma, it's Oklahoma!"

I'm guessing he stays, purely on gut instinct. If he goes, I think he will put a lot of emphasis on his wife and kids, basically saying that it was a decision made for them and with them. That said, I sure would be disappointed and sad, but I wouldn't be angry with Buzz. I would root for him to do well, mostly to help Chicos prove his point

Let's create some history Marquette

ringout

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 03:18:29 PM »
I realize its cold in Milwaukee but Oklahoma? A dream job?
If you can't golf all year round, what does it matter if you're in OK or MKE?

Warrior_2002

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 03:21:34 PM »
No reason to hold it against him.  He is from the area and Oklahoma, before the last few years with this Sampson crap, was a pretty consistently good team.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »
Really hard to say. While I understand doing what you have to in order to improve your situation, I think there's a lot to be said for sticking by your word. I'd have a tough time reconciling that. I'd have a hard time cheering for a guy who intertwined himself so much with a program and then left it for something less than the "dream job". It's not Indiana, it's not Indiana.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

alexius23

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 03:29:04 PM »
Would I like Buzz leaving? No! There is this "thing" in college sports. Coaches constantly ask students & alumni to support "The Program"  Then some other school backs up the truck with a ton 'o' cash & suddenly it's "Adios amigos".  The synergy between the fans and the Coach is not unlike a marriage.  Divorce sucks particularly when the Coach is seduced away by someone hotter & who seems to have much more to offer.    However, having said all that....Colleges bring in Coaches to win. The Coach goes for the opportunity and the pay check. Which of us would not leave our job if someone chased after us with promises and a big payday?

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2011, 03:31:07 PM »
I would be pissed off for a little while that he left after previously stating "he would stay at MU for as long as they would have him". I mean isn't that lying or not? On the other end, Buzz is one of the few coaches that I really enjoy listening to speak and I just like his personality a lot and how he makes it a point to treat everyone with respect. So I would be sad to see him go for those reasons. I guess over the course of time I wouldn't hold a grudge against him or anything because I respect the fact he has to do what's best for his future success and what's best for his family.  I would only use his departure as a constant reminder the rest of my life to never believe anything that comes from a head coach's mouth no matter how sincere and honest it sounds. And I would always root against him just like I would any coach who left MU for what they thought was a better job.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 03:35:05 PM by Doris Burkes Thong »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »
I would be pissed off for a little while that he left after previously stating "he would stay at MU for as long as they would have him". I mean isn't that lying or not? But I wouldn't hold a grudge against him or anything because I respect the fact he has to do what's best for his future success and what's best for his family.  I would only use his departure as a constant reminder the rest of my life to never believe anything that comes from a head coach's mouth no matter how sincere and honest it sounds.

I hold it against Doris Burke that she wears a thong

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
I hold it against Doris Burke that she wears a thong

Would you still if she walked in your bedroom and took it off for you?

feedback