[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Time Has Come...  (Read 20314 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
The Time Has Come...
« on: March 15, 2007, 08:48:01 PM »
to ask if Marquette is getting their money's worth?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PaintCrew93

• Walk-On
Re: The Time Has Come...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:51:25 PM »
If things don't change and he does not do better next year, we have to think about it.  He has had now over 2 full classes of players.  i am not asking much, JUST ONE WIN IN THE NCAA!

21rooster

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 08:55:10 PM »
All right, I was feeling really bad about the loss...but your post just brought me back to earth.  We just lost in the NCAA tournament.  We had an extremely bad game, but the overall season was a blast.  We're getting our money's worth.  With a full team back next year, a couple nice additions, and a little luck in the injury department, next year will be even more fun.  Tonight was rough, but a lot of other teams would love to "get their money's worth" like we did this year.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how many of the assistants bolt this year.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 08:58:28 PM »
We are lucky to have him.  Who else could do what he's doing at MU?

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »
we could easily get another coach that can recruit and teach for a lot less

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »
it was tough seeing dwayne stephens on the msu bench.  I think stephens gets the msu job if izzo ever bolts.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:04:46 PM »
"to ask if Marquette is getting their money's worth?"

I really don't understand this question. Would you be happy if we spent less and had the same results? What would you value this year's results at? What would you value our entry into the Big East at? What would you value our Final Four run at?

If we are over-paying, who would you rather have? Coach K who just lost a first round game to an eleven seed? Or is Duke getting their money's worth?

Try not to be melodramatic. We had a poor showing without our heart and soul player and with starting two juniors, two sophomores and a freshman against a solid MSU team whose coach knows our playbook as well as anyone else in the NCAA does.

PaintCrew93

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 09:07:37 PM »
Don't get me wrong - I would not trade TC for anything.  But you have to admit he has not won anything in march.  not one game other than the final four year.  I do think of florida's coach as someone who was also accused of being a one hit wonder (until he won the title) so I just will use that to hope for next year.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 09:09:55 PM »
to ask if Marquette is getting their money's worth?

Let's let this settle a little bit before we run our coach out of town....JFC.....how many other teams could beat MSU without their best defender and second leading scorer....if we were 100% healthy and just lost to E. Kentucky, then yes, I'd say we need to start talking about it.  That was a tough draw for us...8/9 games usually are.  Our expectations need to be realistic....truth be told 4 NCAA appearances and a Final Four over 6 years is solid.  

Yes, the first round losses hurt.  Yes, everyone here wishes they'd advance to at least the second round or beyond every year.  If you're expecting a perennial Top 5-10 team every year in Milwaukee....it's not going to happen.  

It amazes me how greedy people become with a taste of success.  Yeah, I'm as bitter as the next guy right now, but we finished 24-10.

I'm pretty sure progams like DePaul, St. John's, Providence, Rutgers and Seton Hall would love to have our problems.

Even if DJ doesn't come back (which would be ridiculous) we're most likely a Top 25 team starting the season in Maui....do you think we would've even sniffed an invitation to that tournament without Crean's success?

Save the coach bashing.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:14:05 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 09:12:18 PM »
we could easily get another coach that can recruit and teach for a lot less

So, who would you hire?  Are we looking for a bargain?  Are you paying his salary?

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 09:14:21 PM »
Hmmm. DePaul played in Maui this season. Does that mean Jerry Wainwright deserves that credit?

Get your head out of your keister!!!

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 09:16:14 PM »
Hmmm. DePaul played in Maui this season. Does that mean Jerry Wainwright deserves that credit?

Get your head out of your keister!!!

Hmmm....do you think MU would've been invited with Mike Deane as your coach?  Leito was their coach when they set this year's field and they were coming off an NCAA appearance....

You may want to remove your head out of your own keister...

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 09:17:33 PM »
I wouldn't care as much if MU had looked as 10% prepared as Michigan State was in the first half.  Look, we are an 8, they are 9, this game is supposed to be close.  But it wasn't. We were awful in the first half and that blame goes 100% on the head coach.  Plain and simple.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 09:18:36 PM »
I guess Bill Freider got ASU in next year's tournament.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 09:21:28 PM »

I guess you went and researched next year's field and coaches just to try and make a point....

If you don't think Crean has anything to do with us going to Maui you need to get your head examined.

Maybe you can complain about our OOC schedule next year...as I'm sure the Maui field won't be good enough.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 09:24:27 PM »
duke getting eliminated is a useless point.  they haven't lost in the 1st round all but 1 year of their current coach's tenure.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 09:40:51 PM »

I guess you went and researched next year's field and coaches just to try and make a point....

If you don't think Crean has anything to do with us going to Maui you need to get your head examined.

Maybe you can complain about our OOC schedule next year...as I'm sure the Maui field won't be good enough.

You're goddamn right I'll complain about the non-conference HOME schedule if it continues to completely SCREW the season ticket holders. Notice I said HOME schedule. HOME. I repeat...the HOME schedule.

Cardinal Stritch and Hillsdale College.

Nicely done.

The season ticket holders thank you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 09:56:33 PM »
The answer is an unequivocal "Yes".

Since Tom Crean's arrival, Marquette has:

- appeared in four NCAAs in the last six years, a better record than any MU coach since Hank Raymond (who, let's face it, didn't have to rebuild the program the way Crean has).

- spent more than twice as many weeks in the AP top 25 than in the previous 15 years combined.

- earned an invitation to one of the nation's premiere conferences

- appeared in a Final Four

- landed the best player and most positive advertisement for Marquette University ever

- built one of the premiere athletic facilities in the nation

- seen MU home games become some of the best attended in all of NCAA Division I, setting several attendance records along the way

Is Tom Crean alone responsible for all this? No. But he's certainly the primary figure in all these occurrences and because of that, he's worth every dime.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 10:01:30 PM »

You're goddamn right I'll complain about the non-conference HOME schedule if it continues to completely SCREW the season ticket holders. Notice I said HOME schedule. HOME. I repeat...the HOME schedule.

Nicely done.

Would you prefer Athletes in Action, Spartak Junior and Marathon Oil? Cause that's who the Cardinal Stritch and Hillsdale-type games are replacing.

MU played a top 20 schedule this year with home games against several NCAA-bound opponents. The schedule today is FAR more appealing than in the Great Midwest and Conference USA days.

Regardless, purchasing Marquette season tickets is not a compulsory act. You are free to show your disdain for the schedule by canceling your tickets. I think most of us would prefer that to your incessant whining over it.

dc300zx91

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 10:14:18 PM »
PLEASE dont even think of calling for crean's head... as an msu student and a fan of a team who never faces you(other than tonite) plese dont think of doing away with crean. the guy has had nothing but bad luck w/ the tournament. Look at where your program was before he came and look at where it is now. We may have won tonite, but that was w/o one of your best scorers and the big east defender of the year. Granted we didn't play our usualy game either, so its impossible to predict the outcome had mcNeal been healthy, but finishing top 20 in the nation is nothing to look past. We didn't even finish ranked this year and had our goals set on just making this tournament. You have made is the past 4 of 6 seasons or so w/ a final 4 and brand new facilities. Give it time, you guys return most of you players next season and are destined for a good regular season and a good run in the tourney...guaranteed. Good luck guys

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 10:56:13 PM »
Crean must go. Pay for performance like any other business.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 11:01:58 PM »

Nicely done.

Nice...relax.....

then don't buy season tickets.....Notice I said don't buy season tickets....Don't.  That's why they offer individual game ticket sales.  Get a grip.

Some people are just destined to always find the next thing to complain about....

Hopefully we can bring in Kentucky, North Carolina and UCLA to satisfy you next year....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:04:03 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 11:02:20 PM »
I say he has 2 years to advance to the sweet 16.  If he does not win at least 1 tournament game with the big 3 we got major problems, and Crean is probably out of a job

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 11:05:17 PM »
Crean must go. Pay for performance like any other business.

Brilliant.  So, who's your next head coach?  Billy Donovan?  Roy Williams?  Maybe Coach K will leave Durham?