[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Time Has Come...  (Read 20308 times)

PuertoRicanNightmare

Re: The Time Has Come...
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 11:05:26 PM »
I say he has 2 years to advance to the sweet 16.  If he does not win at least 1 tournament game with the big 3 we got major problems, and Crean is probably out of a job

What "Big three?" It's a joke!! I've seen at least half a dozen teams with players as talented.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 11:10:45 PM »
I say he has 2 years to advance to the sweet 16.  If he does not win at least 1 tournament game with the big 3 we got major problems, and Crean is probably out of a job

What "Big three?" It's a joke!! I've seen at least half a dozen teams with players as talented.

Considering there's 336 D-I programs I guess we're in good shape then.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 11:13:35 PM »
I say he has 2 years to advance to the sweet 16.  If he does not win at least 1 tournament game with the big 3 we got major problems, and Crean is probably out of a job
He will. Remember they are only sophomores, and we have no seniors basically. Add in the fact that today we only had 2 of them, so really they've only had one year of experience with all 3 of them in the tournament.  And PRN you're unbelievable. I don't know what team you've been following for the past 30 years, but I don't think it's the same one.  Ever since the 80's we've been average...not even that but an average mid-major. Crean helped(not single handedly cause nobody could do that) get us from there to the Big East, to winning the CBE tournament and the GAS twice.  Since the final four, which he helped get us to, everything at the university has improved, and now there are even better things on the horizon for the university because of the attention Crean has helped bring to a former midmajor school. If you honestly think that we were anything but before he came, you really need a reality check. I'm lucky I've only been going to games since the early 90's and those teams were painful to watch sometimes even verse other average teams, the same teams that compete for the 10-16 seeds in the ncaa tournament.

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 11:17:29 PM »
MarquetteFan94 - sorry dude, but I'm sick of losing in the NCAA's and I'm sick of the Blue & Gold fund calling me to cover Crean’s bloated salary with zero results; what happened to Strong Funds?

MUCHI814

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 11:22:38 PM »
I hate to say it an I've tried to stay away from it as much as possible, but how much of Crean's credibility is from Wade, or even just 2003.  He hasn't won a post-season game in 3 years. I love what he's done for the school, but step back for a second and his post-season is unacceptable to me for making around 1.5 million a years.  I expect better, simple as that.  Next year he's got his big 3 as juniors, he's pretty much living and dying on that class, so I need to see something definitive for him to prove his worth to me.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2007, 11:22:54 PM »
MarquetteFan94 - sorry dude, but I'm sick of losing in the NCAA's and I'm sick of the Blue & Gold fund calling me to cover Crean’s bloated salary with zero results; what happened to Strong Funds?

I'm as sick of losing as anyone else...it f-ing sucks....you do realize what the Men's B-Ball team means to the university right?  Crean has as much to do with that as anyone else....I'm pretty sure the university is getting an amazing return on coach's salary.  We go to the Sweet 16 next year and then it's "let's lock Crean up to a lifetime contract..."

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2007, 11:26:34 PM »
Next person who brings up money is a moron. Go look at the list which isn't even official....you'll see Creighton up there...how much have they done in the past 8 years? Has their current coach helped bring them into the big east from basically a mid major conference? do they have state of the art facilities? because of their basketball program do they have great plans for the near future for facilities on their campus not relating to basketball?

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2007, 11:27:28 PM »
MUCHI814 - amen my brother.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2007, 11:27:36 PM »
I hate to say it an I've tried to stay away from it as much as possible, but how much of Crean's credibility is from Wade, or even just 2003.  He hasn't won a post-season game in 3 years. I love what he's done for the school, but step back for a second and his post-season is unacceptable to me for making around 1.5 million a years.  I expect better, simple as that.  Next year he's got his big 3 as juniors, he's pretty much living and dying on that class, so I need to see something definitive for him to prove his worth to me.

Those are all good points....but what if MU never got rid of Mike Deane....we all now have these lofty expectations...why?  Because of the precedent that CREAN has set....who recruited Wade?  How many schools have made the NCAAs 4 of the last 6 years including a Final Four....not a lot.  15 other schools have been to the Final Four in the last 4 years....that's pretty elite company in my book.

The next two years are critical....no doubt about it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:29:31 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2007, 11:29:40 PM »
Next person who brings up money is a moron. Go look at the list which isn't even official....you'll see Creighton up there...how much have they done in the past 8 years? Has their current coach helped bring them into the big east from basically a mid major conference? do they have state of the art facilities? because of their basketball program do they have great plans for the near future for facilities on their campus not relating to basketball?

Do you live under a rock?

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Tom crean has done all he can.  Its time to move on and hire someone else.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 11:32:15 PM »

Do you live under a rock?
no do you?

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 11:33:57 PM »
I actually have proof, unlike some people who are just pulling stuff out of their asses....I go to school now, everything is a lot better, and thanks to the current team, which was recruited/coached/taught by tom crean we are getting more money, which is going towards new facilities that are going to be built starting in a year or so....so no i don't live under a rock...do you live with your head up your ass?

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 11:35:44 PM »
Tom crean has done all he can.  Its time to move on and hire someone else.

Yeah, clearly we're going in the wrong direction....

2003 FF
$31M Al McGuire Center
Big East
Attendance Records
3 Players in the NBA
Hosting ESPN College Game Day
NCAA Tournament 4 of 6 years

It's really time to start looking in a new direction....perhaps we can rejuvinate the Mike Deane era or model oursleves after DePaul.  It sure would be great to play in front of 9,000 every night again and hope to host an NIT first round game.

It amazes me how greedy people are and unappreciative of how good things have become for MU basketball in a very short time!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 11:38:22 PM by MarquetteFan94 »

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 11:39:20 PM »
max is right, the campus is so much better than it was 5 or 10 years ago and this is because of the money crean has been able to bring in because our basketball team is nationally recognised now. He's pulled us out of a dead league and put us in one of the hardest leagues to compete in and we've won 10 games both years in the BE.

MUCHI814

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 11:40:54 PM »
I'm no denying what Crean has done for the school I already said how I think it's great what he's done, but I'm evaluating him on a pure basketball aspect and to me I expect more for what we pay him.  It's a personal opinion, I'm sick of everyone treating him like he's a godsend when he really only has one season to show for it. In the last 3 years since I've been at Marquette he has yet to win a post-season game, I find that unacceptable. I realize it's a standard that he has helped create, but it's a standard that he needs to maintain. I don't like that next year I will be settling for just 1 win in the BE tournament or just 1 win in the NCAA tournament....Just out of curiosity I do want to know what facilities and other parts of the university he has helped improve outside of basketball.

ppp098

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 11:43:38 PM »
What are you taking about? This is a Marquette plateau. I may be dated but things were pretty good when we went to the sweet sixteen with Tony Miller. He broke that press. That was a game.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2007, 11:45:20 PM »
Maybe it's my Cubs fan in me, but if MU get into the Big Dance, they need to take advantage.  I'm not saying win the whole thing every year.  As fans, we build up and up the college basketball season until these four days, every year.  My ultimate goal is for my team to make it in the NCAA tournament and play well, win or lose.  We did not do that at all tonight.  I feel like our team (maybe coach) thinks it's their right to be in the NCAA tournament, and it's okay to play like they did tonight.  I'm sure they don't think that way, but that's the way they played in the first half.  

You have to have the fire in the NCAA tournament, you cannot be complacent.  These opportunities are limited.

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2007, 11:49:59 PM »
A new engineering building is going to be built, a new law school new dorms new offices, i've heard a bunch of different things. For sure the engineering building and something else within 2 years. And I agree that we should be having better post seasons, but we never have had great ones. He has taken nothing and done a good amount with it. If you think well a small school can win a game why can't we...watch that game, it usually takes a great performance from one guy or even a whole team, and sometimes a last second shot. We should have won the game last year, but it took the best game of one guy's life to beat us. While it's disappointing, I think that what he earns is fine. Most coaches' salaries don't include anything they do outside of coaching...Crean's does. The school barely changed through the 90's, but now thanks to the exposure, things at campus and with the team are going to get a lot better...great teams don't happen over night. Next year we have the chance to make it 3 straight years in the ncaa, should have been more if it weren't for Diener getting hurt, we haven't done that since the 70's, which just shows where our program has been and where it is now.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2007, 11:53:02 PM »
Yeah, clearly we're going in the wrong direction....

2003 FF
$31M Al McGuire Center
Big East
Attendance Records
3 Players in the NBA
Hosting ESPN College Game Day
NCAA Tournament 4 of 6 years

It's really time to start looking in a new direction....perhaps we can rejuvinate the Mike Deane era or model oursleves after DePaul.  It sure would be great to play in front of 9,000 every night again and hope to host an NIT first round game.

It amazes me how greedy people are and unappreciative of how good things have become for MU basketball in a very short time!

--We can get a lot of coaches considering how much money we pay this guy.  And yes I am greedy . . . for NCAA wins but we don't know what that is now do we???

maxpower773

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2007, 12:00:51 AM »
--We can get a lot of coaches considering how much money we pay this guy.  And yes I am greedy . . . for NCAA wins but we don't know what that is now do we???
You act as though we've been there before Crean consistently...And yes we can get a lot of coaches, like Mike Deane maybe...or Bob Dukiet....Any coach could come in now...but could any come in when Crean did. We rip on DePaul all the time, well guess what?...we were almost as worse of when Crean came as they have been.

TJ2K1

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2007, 12:05:36 AM »

--We can get a lot of coaches considering how much money we pay this guy.  And yes I am greedy . . . for NCAA wins but we don't know what that is now do we???

We're all still waiting for the names - instead of persisting non-stop with your anti-Crean bitchfest, why don't you propose candidates, and while doing so, outline the specific qualifications for each.  You know, like record, recruiting history, track record of player development, post-season performance, offensive/defensive strategy, etc.  Run the whole gamut - I'm truly interested to read specifics on who in the coaching ranks should replace Crean if you were ever to have your way.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2007, 12:07:53 AM »
I LOVE COACH CREAN!!! HE IS A GODSEND TO THIS UNIVERSITY AND MY DEGREE WILL GET ME MORE MONEY WHEN I GRADUATE IN A FEW YEARS BECAUSE OF THE PRESTIGE HE HAS GIVEN THIS UNIVERSITY!! just throwing that out there.  ;D

State

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:58 AM »
So am I the only one who donates to MU (college of A&S) based on what my education has given me???  I always cringe when I hear people base their donations on the success of MU hoops.  Do you think the Dental building or the new Engineering building will be built with money stemming for the contractual obligations of Tom Crean??  Yes I attend B&G fund functions (and at times donate...I think money isn't being spent appropriately other than TC..but that is another topic) but believe it or not people give just to give!!!  Look at David Straz...Look at the Wesslers....Look at Hegarty...etc.

Tom Crean is not altering my donations towards a new Chemistry Building nor other major donators.  

Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional.

If anything thing...if Crean 'the money donating machine' was so good, why did MU end up with a 6K practice facility and not a 18000K arena?  Why wasn't the Dental building restricted to only 1/3 the best it could have been?

If Crean's time hasn't come...it is very close.  

Note:  PRN, Harrison, or 4ever--please don't respond/copy to his post...you are not good people and do nothing or have done nothing positive for the University that I work hard for every day.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2007, 12:17:39 AM »
[

We're all still waiting for the names - instead of persisting non-stop with your anti-Crean bitchfest, why don't you propose candidates, and while doing so, outline the specific qualifications for each.  You know, like record, recruiting history, track record of player development, post-season performance, offensive/defensive strategy, etc.  Run the whole gamut - I'm truly interested to read specifics on who in the coaching ranks should replace Crean if you were ever to have your way.

If I had the time and money I would answer this question to the best of my ability. But there are at least five people more qualifed then tom crean . . . there has to be given the results I have seen.  If you do not believe that then I have some nice bridges I would like to sell you.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 12:24:54 AM by thatman32 »