Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander Blue  (Read 14277 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
Re: Vander Blue
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:06 PM »
The mods absolutely need to take this thread DOWN.

censor censor censor censor censor censor censor censor censor censor censor

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 08:07:19 PM »
It's getting really old seeing "Vander Blue" topics.  

marquettewade3

• Walk-On
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 08:11:23 PM »
I understand this thread is very hypothetical.  With that said, if Vander is truly unhappy at Marquette he should leave.  Not because we don't want him but because if he isn't vested in things, it's better for the team and for him.  

I could also see Vander looking at Toddy Mayo and Jamal Ferguson coming in and start to wonder about his playing time.  So, if that is the case, Vander is either going to accept the challenge, compete, and try to prove he's the better player or he's going to give up and go somewhere he knows he will play. But as someone else suggested, likely a step down and against lesser competition.  Personally, I would like the kid to show is character and fight for a spot, but he has to do what is best for him.

groove

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 08:15:54 PM »
It's getting really old seeing "Vander Blue" topics.  
I could go for some Vida Blue topics

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
I don't mean to rehash any old topics, but I genuinely never heard these specifics, or read them anywhere, regarding the Maymon transfer. Is this "insider" knowledge? Can anyone clarify Maymon's transfer for me? Feel free to PM if you don't want to talk about it publicly. Just being curious.

And the "any school but Wisconsin" deal that Buzz gave Maymon is laughable.  UW wouldn't have taken JM and wouldn't take VB now.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:20 PM »

And the "any school but Wisconsin" deal that Buzz gave Maymon is laughable.  UW wouldn't have taken JM and wouldn't take VB now.

Does Wisconsin even have a spot right now?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 08:24:13 PM »
No they do not...and they only have one open for 2012.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 08:27:44 PM »
So if Vander leaves ... No Wisconsin and no BE (as he would have to sit two years per conference rules).  Given the way he played this year, another program of equal quality is not going to give him a schollie.  So, if he leaves, he's taking a step down.

Is that what he wants to do ... say the BE is too much for him and go somewhere where it is easier?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 08:29:28 PM »
Exactly Another.  I have no doubt that he went through some tough times - not a secret, it was pretty obvious.  But he seemed to understand his role as the season went on. 

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 08:30:54 PM »
I would guess that about 90% of freshman kick around transferring or think about what could have been had they decided to go to another school they were admitted to.  I remember sitting in McCormick Hall and thinking about how my life would be different had I picked another school.  It is usually some pretty short-lived thinking.  

There have been some low moments for this team this year.  Playing at MSG and getting into the tournament will probably refocus Blue.

Next year will be an experienced team who has played together.  Blue won't be able to duplicate that.  He would be a big loss as I think he can still develop into an All-Big East player. 

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious. "

Honestly, enough of these rumor-mongering garbage posts. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:29 PM »

Agree with that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 09:21:01 PM »
He's a freshman...find me a single freshman that at some point during the year doesn't ponder going to a different school?
Jeremy Lamb
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 09:23:39 PM »

nyg

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 09:26:37 PM »
Jeremy Lamb

Brandon Knight
Kyrie Irving
Harrison Barnes
Doron Lamb
Patrick Young
Corey Joseph
etc., etc.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 09:47:19 PM »
Seems to have picked up his energy of late and be enjoying himself more than he was for a while there. Hopefully that's an indication he's gotten over the hump and is enjoying himself. Hope so-there is potential there. 

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:19 PM »
Brandon Knight
Kyrie Irving
Harrison Barnes
Doron Lamb
Patrick Young
Corey Joseph
etc., etc.

They may not be considering transferring but how many will be at their school next season?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 10:14:20 PM »
"My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious. "

Honestly, enough of these rumor-mongering garbage posts. 

Mmmmm,.....Kristy Swanson.

MUFC9295

• Team Captain
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I dont want to hijack this Kristy Swanson thread... still crushing over her... but the fact there is talk about at solid college player not "making it" at Marquette shows we are a top program.  Blue is going to be great for us.  Keep watching.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 06:54:04 AM »
"well connected alumni" = JS commenters.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2011, 06:58:39 AM »
"well connected alumni" = JS commenters.

Or the espn national boards.  ::)

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2011, 07:13:08 AM »
Jeremy Lamb

Calhoun can coach, but follow that program and you'll realize there isn't one player that ever went through it and didn't think that they might have been crazy to play for that man. 

Vander will be just fine at MU, and I think he's probably a bit surprised at how hard the transition to D1 ball in the BEAST is.  It's on him to realize he needs to improve his game, and its on Buzz to help him do so.  I believe Buzz is capable and Vander is willing.  I believe he'll stay and we'll see great things from him at MU.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 07:26:55 AM »
Calhoun can coach, but follow that program and you'll realize there isn't one player that ever went through it and didn't think that they might have been crazy to play for that man. 

Vander will be just fine at MU, and I think he's probably a bit surprised at how hard the transition to D1 ball in the BEAST is.  It's on him to realize he needs to improve his game, and its on Buzz to help him do so.  I believe Buzz is capable and Vander is willing.  I believe he'll stay and we'll see great things from him at MU.
I think we've all been a little surprised at how hard the transition has been for him. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2011, 07:38:41 AM »
I've appreciated how he's kept his head up and worked hard this year.  He understands that he needs to get better, and he will. . . . at Marquette.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2011, 08:14:41 AM »
He was looking the part in the OOC portion and then met the BE. He was able to get to the hoop, eat up on defense and play more free. Mr. Blue Meet the BE Wall like any freshman.  It is a tough dose of reality in a guard dominated league where it is dog eat dog, and experience is king. Is it any wonder that three freshman have walked away from (before) it over the Buzz regime as the staff tries to harden and prepare them?  Vander has struggled mightily through it and will be much better for it.

He has learned he needs to get stronger. That getting to the hoop is not as easy as in high school or OOC. That word of a soft handle gets out quickly. And that a mid and long range game opens up your driving lanes to do what you do best. The natural talent is there, the will and work ethic are there, just a lot of work to do to become BE ready. Don't think the kid is one to run from a challenge.