[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This board was so much better 2 years ago  (Read 8904 times)

Mayor McCheese

• All American
This board was so much better 2 years ago
« on: February 09, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »
Anyone who watched the game can see MU didn't play their best game... but guess what, they won.

Down 16 in the 2nd half to come back and win, give them a break board.  It seems like if MU doesn't win by 30 every game, they have failed.

Winning that game was big for MU, and big for BEast standings.  19-22 year olds are not going to be perfect every game, and the Sun Dome is a beast to play in, just ask a top 10 MU team 2 years ago.  This win, coupled with some losses by teams ahead of us today, keeps us right in the mix.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

Sharpie

• Team Captain
Re: This board was so much better 2 years ago
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 09:00:02 PM »
I agree. I'm about to stop reading and even commenting on any threads anymore. It's getting ridiculous.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 09:00:32 PM »
Anyone who watched the game can see MU didn't play their best game... but guess what, they won.

Down 16 in the 2nd half to come back and win, give them a break board.  It seems like if MU doesn't win by 30 every game, they have failed.

Winning that game was big for MU, and big for BEast standings.  19-22 year olds are not going to be perfect every game, and the Sun Dome is a beast to play in, just ask a top 10 MU team 2 years ago.  This win, coupled with some losses by teams ahead of us today, keeps us right in the mix.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 09:02:25 PM »

ooops....blew the last post.  anyway, a beast to play in?  The place was empty.  We just played poorly and I'm not sure why.  A week off, and we missed 8 FT's in a row at the end?  Call me a hater, but that's not acceptable.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »
I am just happy we won one where we didn't play our best.  It seems like the coin usually falls the other way when we have to rely on the ball bouncing our way.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »
I find it very funny that people think they are going to change how and what people post.  It's like trying to play some kind of Jedi mind trick on other scoopers.

Don't threaten the board, just don't read it if it's that bad.  

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:42:27 PM »
Whether MU won this game by 30 or by 1, it still counts as a win in the standings. That's all that matters.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:45:23 PM »
I agree. I'm about to stop reading and even commenting on any threads anymore. It's getting ridiculous.
+1

This is why I've taken to calling out posters with idiotic ideas.  Problem is I need a staff to keep up with them.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 09:49:45 PM »
I find it very funny that people think they are going to change how and what people post.  It's like trying to play some kind of Jedi mind trick on other scoopers.

Don't threaten the board, just don't read it if it's that bad.  

The irony is that there are probably 10 or more "stop complaining", "at least we won", "everyone is so negative!", and sarcastic posts that complain about complainers for every post they're trying to attack.  Get a grip about telling everyone to get a grip, it seems that those pretty pleased with getting the W outnumber those who were throwing the NIT posts around at halftime pretty handily, especially after most waited until the clock was all zero's before offering their final assessments for the evening.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:04:01 AM »
In an odd correlation, the team was better 2 years ago as well which might be why the board was better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 06:43:47 AM »
And then James broke his foot and things went downhill.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 07:02:48 AM »
As I write this, here are some of the titles on the first page ....

* The worst grade school coach isn't dumb enough to call for a foul at the end
* Could this be a win and still no SOTG?
* Why is Blue playing?
* What does Junior Cadougan bring to the court, especially on offense?
* If we lose do we go to NIT?
* Get ahold of yourselves people!
* We suck.
* Recruit someone, anyone taller than 6-7!!!
* Buzz Needs to Hire a Defensive Coach Add On: Buzz Needs to Hire a FT Coach

----

Isn't the sign of a good team that when they struggle, they win?  And ALL teams struggle from time to time!  You can look it up.

We are now 15 - 9 (6 - 5) and the whining and complaining around hear is deafening.  Buzz is stupid and we suck (that was one of the threads above!)

365 days ago our record was 15 - 8 (6 - 5) and everyone loved this team.  Buzz was a genius and we were a scrappy team.

---

Here's is the problem ... too many people had too high an expectation for this team.  They thought it was 2 years ago and expected us to be 20 - 4 (9 - 2) as we were at this same point in 2009.  They probably also expected us to be ranked #8 like we were at this point two years ago.  This was fantasy.

So, yes this board has gotten worse, much worse.   And it's starting to be not fun to read all the crappy analysis and whining about stupid stuff.  

Please stop with the FTs, Junior, we need "bigs" and Blue threads.  It's all been said a million times over already.  The new ones add exactly zero to the conversation, because no one is smart enough to add anything to these subjects.

Is this the reason BMA725 no longer posts here? (One of the few guys that really gets it and stopped posting here.)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 07:07:37 AM by AnotherMU84 »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 07:05:12 AM »

Is this the reason BMA725 no longer posts here? (One of the few guys that really gets it and stopped posting here.)

Yes.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 07:09:47 AM »
And then James broke his foot and things went downhill.   

Seeing the highlights of that team in the intro to the game last night brought back memories.

Hard to believe it was just two short years ago, MU was rolling on top of the conference and looking like a surefire contender for the title.

Would have loved to see that team play out its potential.

(Also, this is the main reason why a board like this would be so docile. MU was very, very good and we were still in the throes of bitterness toward Crean and happiness toward Buzz. Perhaps those few months were the only time every MU fan felt the same.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
I think the biggest problem with this board isn't the topics, but the inflamatory nature how they are discussed.

I don't care if people question Buzz, his strategy or how he uses his players..but can people do it in a way that makes you sound like an adult???  Let's face it, Buzz knows more about basketball than anyone on this board.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 09:03:14 AM »
Let's face it, Buzz knows more about basketball than anyone on this board.
That doesn't mean he always makes the right decision or is above criticism.  Not disagreeing with the rest of your post (I've mostly stayed away since yesterday for the same reason), but I thought I had to throw that out there.

We are now 15 - 9 (6 - 5) and the whining and complaining around hear is deafening.  Buzz is stupid and we suck (that was one of the threads above!)

365 days ago our record was 15 - 8 (6 - 5) and everyone loved this team.  Buzz was a genius and we were a scrappy team.

---

Here's is the problem ... too many people had too high an expectation for this team.  They thought it was 2 years ago and expected us to be 20 - 4 (9 - 2) as we were at this same point in 2009.  They probably also expected us to be ranked #8 like we were at this point two years ago.  This was fantasy.
AMU84 - the fantasy is entirely in your head.  I don't remember a single person saying a single thing about this team being ranked, let alone being top 10.  I hope this is just some super hyperbole on your part.  People had an expectation of improvement from last year, but no one expected a 3 seed.

And if last year's team gets to be called supermen because they exceeded expectations, then this year's team might have to deal with some criticism if they aren't living up to their expectations.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
... then this year's team might have to deal with some criticism if they aren't living up to their expectations.

What were the expectations that they are failing to meet?

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 09:22:30 AM »
To my defense, the thread titled "we suck" was absolute sarcasm and I would not like threads I make to be grouped in with the rest of the negative nancies on this board. Thanks.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
Apparently you think some people thought they would be Top 10 by this point, so they have failed to meet that.

I didn't say they were failing to meet expectations, I said that they have to deal with criticism if they do.  That being said, I think the expectation was improvement from last year, and you said it yourself that they're exactly at the same place.  You can't deny that they have had a ton of difficult losses, few quality wins, an inability to put together 2 good halves in the same night, an inability to keep a sizable lead against good opponents, etc.  There's a sour taste in many people's mouths from all of that, and a 16 point come back win against the second worst team in the conference is not going to make that go away.

The other problem is that they had every opportunity to win a few of those games, but every one went the wrong way (until SU).  It's frustrating when the 50/50 games seem to be more like 20/80.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 09:50:01 AM by TJ »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
To my defense, the thread titled "we suck" was absolute sarcasm and I would not like threads I make to be grouped in with the rest of the negative nancies on this board. Thanks.

But did you consider the impression your thread title gives to fans like yourself who are tired of seeing on the negativity.  If it's all about first impressions, then you should choose your thread titles more carefully.  Many people won't read a poorly titled post.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 09:44:19 AM »
You are right. Enough said.

6746jonesr

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »
Apparently you think some people thought they would be Top 10 by this point, so they have failed to meet that.

I didn't say they were failing to meet expectations, I said that they have to deal with criticism if they do.  That being said, I think the expectation was improvement from last year, and you said it yourself that they're exactly at the same place.  You can't deny that they have had a ton of difficult losses, few quality wins, an inability to put together 2 good halves in the same night, an inability to keep a sizable lead against good opponents, etc.  There's a sour taste in many people's mouths from all of that, and a 16 point come back win against the second worst team in the conference is not going to make that go away.

In response to the above post, I am trying to figure out why anyone had high expectations for this team this year, and why some expected improvement over last season.  When a team loses a first round draft pick (Lazar) and two other seniors who were starters/major contributers, wasn't even the hope of a return trip to March Madness a little bit of a stretch?  Personally, I like this team.  They are a group of kids that work their butts off and represent Marquette in a positive way.  For a little perspective, look at the box scores of games yesterday.  there were a lot of ranked teams that were upset by lowly teams, ie, Rutgers beating Villanova.  Teams do have bad nights, but our guys worked through it and came out with a W.  I am not saying that the team is exempt from criticism, but you should also being willing to give them credit when they deserve it.  Last night the team did what many posters have been bitching about--they played solid defense when their offense wasn't working.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 09:55:54 AM »

It's about expectations and what one uses as a baseline.

MU was picked 8th by the Big East coaches.  I think those rankings, along with the top 25 stuff is crap, but many here on this board don't.  I suspect some people believe we should be 8th....which we are in a 3 way tie for right now.

Others use baselines of recent years.  One might argue that last year we overachieved (others might argue we met expectations) and compared to last year, we are a better team.  Others will use 2 years ago and could be frustrated how we were a top 5 \ 10 team in the nation and now are a bubble team (yes, we will likely get in, but last night could have been catastrophic if we lost).

All about expectations.   I think it was you the other day that said Buzz is a young coach and still learning.  Agreed, but that also leads to a frustration for some.  It was one of my main concerns when we hired Buzz. I felt we had a great team coming back, great conference, etc, etc, that MU shouldn't have to hire someone that will learn on the job.  So when you see a young coach making those errors, it can be frustrating.  Buzz is a really good coach who will one day be a great coach (he needs to figure out some things still, but will).

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2011, 10:01:57 AM »
I think the biggest problem with this board isn't the topics, but the inflamatory nature how they are discussed.

I don't care if people question Buzz, his strategy or how he uses his players..but can people do it in a way that makes you sound like an adult???  Let's face it, Buzz knows more about basketball than anyone on this board.

Au contraire, monsieur,  I beg to differ.

Phil Jackson
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2011, 10:29:49 AM »
[quote author=The Golden Avalanche link=topic=24298.msg270269#msg270269 date=1297343387

(Also, this is the main reason why a board like this would be so docile. MU was very, very good and we were still in the throes of bitterness toward Crean and happiness toward Buzz. Perhaps those few months were the only time every MU fan felt the same.)
[/quote]

Saying that every MU fan on Scoop was bitter toward Crean or filled with happiness toward Buzz two years ago is false. Most did think that Buzz was turning out to be an upgrade and, despite the fact that the honeymoon (inevitably) is over, I think most still think that.

feedback