[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This board was so much better 2 years ago  (Read 8903 times)

NCAARules

• Starter
Re: This board was so much better 2 years ago
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2011, 08:27:38 AM »
Wow. Thank you BrewCity. Very well stated.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »
Wow. Thank you BrewCity. Very well stated.

Agreed. Thanks, BrewCity.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2011, 08:59:32 AM »
Maybe the mods could start calling out people that repeatedly make new accounts with different names just to troll the forums?

Or we could add an "Ignore based on IP address" button :P

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2011, 09:09:37 AM »
+1 brew!

---

Navin,

I think this board is better than scout.  Better because the quality of post.  Good stuff like Brew's post above.  Scout, to me (repeat me), was a bunch of emotional rants devoid of anything substantial.  Now we are becoming that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2011, 09:11:19 AM »
Maybe the mods could start calling out people that repeatedly make new accounts with different names just to troll the forums?

Or we could add an "Ignore based on IP address" button :P

Can you do that if people simply use multiple gmail accounts to create new IDs??

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2011, 09:23:51 AM »
(Unfortunately, many trolls, if banned, simply change their IP, use proxies, or other anonymizers.  It's a game of whack a mole.   They may hide for a while, unnoticed, but we either change their behavior or -- never fear -- simply outlast them.   Scoop will always persevere.)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2011, 09:51:53 AM »
(Unfortunately, many trolls, if banned, simply change their IP, use proxies, or other anonymizers.  It's a game of whack a mole.   They may hide for a while, unnoticed, but we either change their behavior or -- never fear -- simply outlast them.   Scoop will always persevere.)

(It's nice that you whispered that.  Otherwise the trolls might realize our plans.)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
You didn't start any of the whiny threads that people are on about, and haven't been propagating any negativity for the past week.

I am trying to follow some sage advice I received about not poking the beast, but in the interest of truth and fairness it should be pointed out that he has been in a "time out" and not been allowed to propagate any negativity for the past two weeks. His parting shot as the ban began was his infamous "Marquette choking dogs pee themselves again" piece complete with artwork - certainly the most negative and virulent attack on MU I've ever read or seen on Cracked Sidewalks.
That said, I agree that Chicos is not in the same league as Marquette 65/NMBuycks and some others. Chicos at least incorporates  facts in the formulation of his opinions and is capable of seeing both sides of an argument. 65 and his ilk just constantly and mindlessly attack. They may be MU fans, but they certainly don't derive any joy from it. Sharing their misery with the board may be good for them - but it's a distict pain for most of us.

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2011, 11:17:10 AM »
Some day you are going to have to play 18 holes instead of 9.

+9 Funny! 

To an earlier mod post:  What do you mean dum?  I ain't dum.  My mother doesn't think I'm dum.  She thinks I'm pretty smart.  On the other hand, my wife doesn't a lot of the time.
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2011, 03:53:53 AM »
What were the expectations that they are failing to meet?

There are some MU fans that just seem to believe for whatever reason that making the NCAA Tournament is a near God given right for the program and making it every year isn't hard to do, thus failure to do so in any season means the coach is doing a miserable job worthy of tons of scorn.

Forget that even storied programs like North Carolina and UCLA don't make the big dance every year. Marquette making it every year should be a requirement or else the competence of the head coach should be strongly questioned, regardless if the team ends up just missing an invitation instead of finishing say 4-14 in the Big East last year and being 3-8 so far this season as Providence has done with a fairly new coach.

slingkong

• Team Captain
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2011, 10:43:39 AM »
Spot on.  2 years of over achieving leads to the expectation that we will overachieve every year.

Reality can be a real bitch for some people.

Why so insistent that the past couple of teams were overachievers? Because the BE coaches picked MU to finish in X place and, instead, MU finished in Y place? Then why, at the same time, do people feel the need to denigrate those exact same predictions by the BE coaches every single year?

A number of people, me included, don't think the team two years ago overachieved at all. Last year, perhaps. I expect improvement from year to year - by the players and the coaches - and I don't think that's happened. And in a few areas, defense most notably, the team has regressed. That is why people are upset. But if you want to just blame others' for not getting it or whatever, feel free as long as it helps you sleep at night.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
I expect improvement from year to year - by the players and the coaches - and I don't think that's happened.

As long as you realize that improvement won't happen ever year, that's a fine attitude.  However, every 3 or 4 years in a college hoops program, you're going to have a disappointing, or drop off year and then things should steadily improve from there again.  I wasn't expecting too much of a drop this year, and really, it's too early to say there is a drop.  Yes, the team needs to start playing better, and it may seem unlikely.  But possible.

Nonetheless, sometimes college hoops programs are going to have "one of those years", and fans do need to realize it happens to everyone.