Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The worst grade school coach isn't dumb enough to call for a foul at the end  (Read 15469 times)

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
But somehow Buzz felt it was the appropriate play.

Could someone please give any justification for this?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
I wanted them to do it as well.

MarquetteDano

• All American
Ah.... we won and they didn't get a shot to win it at the end?  It worked.

Sawsi

• Starter
This has been brought up on this board numerous times.  However, it is usually that we should foul when up 3.  

Guess what? We won.

Pakuni

• All American
Damned if you do, damned if you don't with this crowd.

flash

• Team Captain
I thought it was a terrible move, would you rather have them shooting a full court shot with 1.8 left, or have a chance at a tip at the rim to tie it with 1.1 seconds left?, I would take the full court shot any day of the week, Horrible move by Buzz, but hey it worked!

Milkshakes

• All American

59-58

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Mike Kelley liked the call.

g0lden3agle

• All American
This has been brought up on this board numerous times.  However, it is usually that we should foul when up 3.  

Guess what? We won.

I was thinking "man, the people of MUScoop are finally getting what they want, a foul while up 3."  I personally don't agree with the strategy, despite whatever studies have been done on the subject.  Just feels wrong IMO.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
You realize MU has inside position on the free throws making a tip in in under 1.1 seconds nearly impossible?

Blackhat

• All American
didn't have a problem with it.....borderline didn't have to do it but I like that he's adapting his end game philosophy a little bit.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
I was thinking "man, the people of MUScoop are finally getting what they want, a foul while up 3."  I personally don't agree with the strategy, despite whatever studies have been done on the subject.  Just feels wrong IMO.

I actually like the strategy most times but not here.  USF was under MU's hoop and I don't think they had any timeouts left.  If they hit a 3/4 length shot, congrats and on to OT.

DiaperDandy

• Starter
Well I agree with fouling up three when the opposition is 20 feet from the basket, I do not agree with fouling when the oposition is 80 feet from the basket.  That would have been a 1 in 1000 shot if they made it.  Have to believe the odds are better than 1 and 1000 for tipping in the second missed free throw.  If Buzz is a numbers guy, I think he miscalculated that one!

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
It's strategic to foul if you're up 3 and in the front court, or if USF had a timeout left to move the ball to midcourt.....but if the choice is between forcing them to hit literally a full court shot for the win and forcing them to get a tip on the free throw?  I think Buzz would take that decision back if given the chance.

Gotta like the spirited comeback, though.  If nothing else, this team is exciting to watch.  Never a dull moment.

Blackhat

• All American
I actually like the strategy most times but not here.  USF was under MU's hoop and I don't think they had any timeouts left.  If they hit a 3/4 length shot, congrats and on to OT.

if they soar over the backs of our players on a tip in, congrats and on to OT.  Probably same probabilty.   This isn't the thing to be bitching about.

There are plenty of things we need to improve starting with Buzz instilling some confidence into these guys down the stretch.

GOMU1104

• All American
You realize MU has inside position on the free throws making a tip in in under 1.1 seconds nearly impossible?

You realize making a running 88-footer is nearly impossible?

avid1010

• All American

I get that thought, but a free throw and tip-in has to be just as likely as a full court three to tie the game.  I don't mind fouling...over time I don't think it really matters, but in that situation I cringed.  We weren't exactly dominating on the glass, and I didn't feel USF was capable of hitting anything, much less a 3/4 court shot.

I'll be interested to hear if Buzz asked for it to happen, or just stayed positive when Crowder made a dumb mistake.  Obviously if he didn't want it...he should have made sure it didn't happen.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 08:40:09 PM by avid1010 »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
See I think it's a lot easier for a guy to make a 3/4 court shot than make a free throw then miss a free throw in such a manner that the bounce goes to his one of his teammates (who don't have inside position) who then finds a way to tip the ball in from 5 or more feet out.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
But somehow Buzz felt it was the appropriate play.

That was the right choice in that situation. Glad Buzz made it.

Pakuni

• All American
You realize making a running 88-footer is nearly impossible?

You realize USF had timeouts, meaning they would have been able to set up an inbounds play for as final shot?
I generally don't like the fouling strategy, but it's silly to suggest that it's somehow unheard of or beyond the pale.

Warriors10

• All American
You realize USF had timeouts, meaning they would have been able to set up an inbounds play for as final shot?
I generally don't like the fouling strategy, but it's silly to suggest that it's somehow unheard of or beyond the pale.

USF was out of timeouts ;)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
Warriors is right, USF was out of timeouts.  But I still am fine with the decision to foul.

Pakuni

• All American
USF was out of timeouts ;)

You sure?
According to the ESPN game tracker they called only two the whole game, both late in the second half.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/playbyplay?gameId=310400058

drbob

• Scholarship Player
you don't foul with the other team 90 feet from the basket with less than 2 seconds left.   stupid move  lucky it didn't backfire .   I have and still am a Buzz advocate but that was plain stupid .  much higher probability of getting a rebound put back to tie.  The other thing  I didn't like is always playing so small, especially against a bigger team like USF.  very lucky they appled like we did against Louisville.  Would have been a good situation to give Mellow and Eric some minutes. Add the terrible charity  line chokes and we were damn lucky

GOMU1104

• All American

By the time they would have called the TO, there would have been, at most 1.0 seconds left.

I'll take my chances of Stan Heath drawing up the perfect inbound play, and his players running said play without screwing up and somehow making a miracle three...

over...

Making the 1st FT (which they did) and using their obvious size advantage to try to tip in the 2nd.