[Today at 12:21:27 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: UCONN donor demands $3M return on donation  (Read 7320 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: UCONN donor demands $3M return on donation
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
Curious story. I never would have thought a donation gave one veto power as to which coach a university selects. It doesn't make him a board member, a president, an AD, or anything else other than a generous donor. I guess there's no such thing as generosity anymore, even charitable donations come with strings attached. I hope this idiot doesn't get any return on his money, it's a donation, not like you're buying a seat on an executive committee.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »
He's going to sue to recover his donations?  Is there really a legal expectation of having input into University operations due to donor status, even if that's often the way it actually works with large donors?

[side note, what's the Marquette connection?]

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 02:05:06 PM »
what a dick.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
Curious story. I never would have thought a donation gave one veto power as to which coach a university selects. It doesn't make him a board member, a president, an AD, or anything else other than a generous donor. I guess there's no such thing as generosity anymore, even charitable donations come with strings attached. I hope this idiot doesn't get any return on his money, it's a donation, not like you're buying a seat on an executive committee.

You obviously don't hang out with many Notre Dame boosters.

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:15:18 PM »
The irony is that the man demands return of the money and then further demands his family's respect back. I can't think of a better way to tarnish his family's name than to pick up his ball and leave the court when he doesn't get things his way.

Pretty pathetic. Hey, but at least he has his respect back, even if it means hurting numerous other people other than the AD.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 02:16:05 PM »
If UConn was smart, they'd write this dude a $3m check and ask him if he'd like to cancel his season tickets, too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 02:18:23 PM »
He's going to sue to recover his donations?  Is there really a legal expectation of having input into University operations due to donor status, even if that's often the way it actually works with large donors?

[side note, what's the Marquette connection?]

No MU connection...thought it was of interest since we're playing UCONN tonight.

I would wager a lot of people think they get input on decisions when they make large donations.  It buys access at many places.  I'm sure our own best donor has a LOT of input on who we hire at MU....I highly doubt any MU head coach is hired without Strong's blessing which he got in return as a major donor.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
Welcome to the United States.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
7 figure$ were offered to change back the nickname.    Donors don't rule everything.    Family respect?   Wow.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 03:02:11 PM »

FWIW, the only way that this joker can get his $$ back is if the school decides to give it back.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 03:04:04 PM »
FWIW, the only way that this joker can get his $$ back is if the school decides to give it back.

Yes, unless it wasn't actually a donation but a contractural deal of some point.  In most states, donors don't even have standing to sue a charity for mis-use of a donation.  The issue that UConn faces is more of a PR one than it is a legal one.

Shanunu

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
If you want to read what Burton actually said to the AD in his letter, here's the full PDF of the letter. http://www.ctpost.com/sports/item/Burton-s-letter-to-UConn-3855.php

My family are pretty big UConn supporters, with two of my uncles being large donors, and they have never liked Hathaway, and feel that he does nothing to bring value to the University, and treats donors with contempt. I'd be interested to see how this story pans out, considering UConn just appointed a new president.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
If UConn was smart, they'd write this dude a $3m check and ask him if he'd like to cancel his season tickets, too.

Just what I was thinking. If I were UCONN, in the most public and humiliating fashion possible, I would give him back the money with interest (that's nothing these days), as well as an offer to buy back any and all season tickets, and make it perfectly clear they are not interested in any further contributions, etc.

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 04:14:15 PM »
Hm. Anyone else think we should write a quick letter to the Burtons?
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
7 figure$ were offered to change back the nickname.    Donors don't rule everything.    Family respect?   Wow.

We sure as hell tried, though.  That 7 figures led the university to go public with the notion we were going to change it back only to be clustered screwed again.  Without those 7 figures, would Father Wild have gone down that path?

Donors rule a lot, fortunately or unfortunately.  T. Boone Pickens comes to mind.  Dick Strong.  Abe Nicholas.  Etc
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 04:32:55 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
If you want to read what Burton actually said to the AD in his letter, here's the full PDF of the letter. http://www.ctpost.com/sports/item/Burton-s-letter-to-UConn-3855.php

My family are pretty big UConn supporters, with two of my uncles being large donors, and they have never liked Hathaway, and feel that he does nothing to bring value to the University, and treats donors with contempt. I'd be interested to see how this story pans out, considering UConn just appointed a new president.

As a large donor, his voice will be heard.  What action, if any, are taken will remain to be seen.  Money buys access and a lot of ears.

Eweconfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »
The guy is a tool!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 04:45:30 PM »
Just what I was thinking. If I were UCONN, in the most public and humiliating fashion possible, I would give him back the money with interest (that's nothing these days), as well as an offer to buy back any and all season tickets, and make it perfectly clear they are not interested in any further contributions, etc.

So you win the battle...but lose the war...and $3M.  Not a smart idea to treat donors in that manner.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »

So the guy wants his money back and name off the stadium .  .  .  how great would it be if UCONN came back and said "since we don't want to alienate our most generous donors, how 'bout we meet you half way and just take your name off the stadium and keep the money." ;D

In all seriousness, this sounds like a relationship that is damaged beyond repair.  Probably best for both parties to get out of the news and part ways quietly behind closed doors.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 05:23:25 PM »

So you win the battle...but lose the war...and $3M.  Not a smart idea to treat donors in that manner.

You're right.
Likewise, it's not a good idea to let donors call the shots at your university. If Barton really wanted to affect change, this is the worst possible way for him to have gone about it. If anything, this is going to cause the university to dig its heels in so as not to appear (at least in public) that they're caving to a rich booster.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »
You're right.
Likewise, it's not a good idea to let donors call the shots at your university. If Barton really wanted to affect change, this is the worst possible way for him to have gone about it. If anything, this is going to cause the university to dig its heels in so as not to appear (at least in public) that they're caving to a rich booster.

Exactly right. Protecting your reputation and eliminating the perception that your policy decisions are for sale to the highest bidder (even if that is reality)  is far more important than the $3M.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »
You're right.

Maybe....but one only needs to look at what Oregon did with Phil Knight.  Certain types at UO got all wee wee'd about who was creating Nike's shoes and clothing and demanded Oregon sign with the Workers Rights Consortium.

Mr. Knight said fine, no more donations.  Well Oregon withdrew from the WRC soon thereafter.

Reality is that donors call a lot of shots at a lot of places.  T. Boone Pickens is another.  Dick Strong at Marquette is another.  Donors carry a lot of weight and a number of schools don't have the luxury to just dig in and say too bad.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 06:30:29 PM »
I'm expecting to see some creative signs tonight from our students regarding this.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 06:41:06 PM »
"Mr. Burton: Looking for a school to support?  Go Warriors!"

feedback