Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another Second Half Meltdown Outscored by 14  (Read 6604 times)

willie warrior

• All American
Another Second Half Meltdown Outscored by 14
« on: January 22, 2011, 08:14:17 PM »
Another meltdown, Buzz. Louisville and now ND

Otule: 0 points; 0 rebounds; 5 fouls. Let's hear it Sultan. Another non factor, or maybe he was the 6th man for ND.
No inside game--Crowder again having to play post. Might as well use the Ox-he would provide more than Otule, even though he is only 1/10 of Otule
Buycks: 2 for 8, making a 30 footer at the end.
Butler was a non factor in 2nd half
Only guy that came to play tonight was DJO

This was pure bull crap, and makes me ill.

Get a clue Buzz.

I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
Re: Another Second Half Meltdown Outscored by 14
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
Outside of his initial gameplanning, Buzz is just not a good coach.  When the opponent adjusts, Buzz is helpless.  Too many blown leads and meltdowns occurring on his watch.

But he's a great guy and that's all that matters, I guess.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 08:19:18 PM »
In 7 days time we have had two double digit leads in the second half and lost both games.  Frustrating. 

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
Soooo, you are saying, Chicos, that we are playing consistent MU ball under Buzz in the second half?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
In 7 days time we have had two double digit leads in the second half and lost both games.  Frustrating. 

Contray to murf, the game is to fast to have a six or seven man roation. We were gassed.

JMcSteal

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
these blown leads are getting very very irritating

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 08:21:34 PM »
The defense sucked in the first half as well.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
Soooo, you are saying, Chicos, that we are playing consistent MU ball under Buzz in the second half?

I'm saying we've seen this movie before the last 3 years.  Teams make halftime adjustments and for whatever reason we don't seem to have an answer.  Frustrating

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
its begining to be a pattern and not just 'bad luck'.... adjustments need to be made.... study up Buzz!!

#MUBB

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »
Same old story.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
Couldn't remember too many trips down the floor in the 2nd half where ND didn't come away with points.  Not going to say our 2nd half offense stunk against the zone; having one dunk and nothing else in transition in the second half was the problem and not trying to get to Hansbrough when he was in foul trouble.  If we couldn't get a stop, might as well try Ox in the second half in the half court; his defense is bad, but they got points almost every possession as it was.

Otule was pitiful.  Butler was a negative from 13:49 in the first half until 23 seconds left in the game.

warriors1965

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
I'm saying we've seen this movie before the last 3 years.  Teams make halftime adjustments and for whatever reason we don't seem to have an answer.  Frustrating

Whatever reason?

The reason is Buzz Williams, plain and simple.  He's just not good enough at X's and O's on the fly and his teams look literally helpless when the opponent goes on a run.

People say he's a young coach and needs time, so a new assistant might help him out.  Fine, but this group of coaches is not getting the job done.

And Jimmy Butler needs to step up and show some resemblance of senior leadership.  He was weak sauce in the second half.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 08:33:47 PM »

It ould be interesting to look at our second half statistics for the last couple of years to see who outscores who and by how many.  It does seem at first glance that we do not play as well int he second half in general.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 08:34:07 PM »
Up 11 and ND goes to zone.  No adjustments again and lack of timeout when ND went on first run (after that dunk on miss).  Buzz needs some bigtime, experienced assistant on his side.

Butler missed at least six three footers went after ND went to zone and Hansbrough ate him for lunch.

What a great first half, no a tremendous first half.  How do the second half letdowns occur????

Otule is the worst center in BE and maybe Div I basketball.  The center on Towson or St. Francis is better. Sorry, but enough is enough.  No more excuses about injured feet, redshirting, bad eyesight.  He appears to be a nice kid, but for a 6ft 11 265 lb player not being able to get one rebound is crazy.  Zero points, zero rebounds, five fouls, good grief. He missed another dunk-like shot and when MU was down by four, he fouled Nash with two seconds on the shot clock OUTSIDE the free throw line.  Nash makes both, Butler then misses another bunny and then the Nash tip-in.  Ball game.

What does it take for the center position, heck put Eric Williams or Gardner in there.  Tonight Crowder had to play the post, just like Hayward last year.  This time it bit Buzz in the butt because Crowder was fouling ND's bigs. Enough is enough.  

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 08:34:53 PM »
Couldn't remember too many trips down the floor in the 2nd half where ND didn't come away with points.  Not going to say our 2nd half offense stunk against the zone; having one dunk and nothing else in transition in the second half was the problem and not trying to get to Hansbrough when he was in foul trouble.  If we couldn't get a stop, might as well try Ox in the second half in the half court; his defense is bad, but they got points almost every possession as it was.

Otule was pitiful.  Butler was a negative from 13:49 in the first half until 23 seconds left in the game.

I counted 28 trips (not possessions) down the court for ND in the 2nd half, and ND scored (FG or FT) on 22 of them or 78%.  Brutal defense once again...tired legs, reaching, bad footwork. Just hand full of rebounds as well.  

chren21

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »
Up 11 and ND goes to zone.  No adjustments again and lack of timeout when ND went on first run (after that dunk on miss).  Buzz needs some bigtime, experienced assistant on his side.

Butler missed at least six three footers went after ND went to zone and Hansbrough ate him for lunch.

What a great first half, no a tremendous first half.  How do the second half letdowns occur????

Otule is the worst center in BE and maybe Div I basketball.  The center on Towson or St. Francis is better. Sorry, but enough is enough.  No more excuses about injured feet, redshirting, bad eyesight.  He appears to be a nice kid, but for a 6ft 11 265 lb player not being able to get one rebound is crazy.  Zero points, zero rebounds, five fouls, good grief. He missed another dunk-like shot and when MU was down by four, he fouled Nash with two seconds on the shot clock OUTSIDE the free throw line.  Nash makes both, Butler then misses another bunny and then the Nash tip-in.  Ball game.

What does it take for the center position, heck put Eric Williams or Gardner in there.  Tonight Crowder had to play the post, just like Hayward last year.  This time it bit Buzz in the butt because Crowder was fouling ND's bigs. Enough is enough.  

I agree but I think Fulce should be in there.  He is a rebounder and defender.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 08:41:29 PM »
The Louisville collapse and tonight is not on Buzz.  Tonight, Jimmy got the ball in the middle, which is all you really need to do against that zone, and he didn't score.  It's hard to make defensive adjustments when you get called for a foul for breathing on someone.  

What do people think that Buzz should have done?  Call timeout at some random time?  You can't waste timeouts any time you think that the team is going through adversity.  On the road, you can't always call timeout to quiet the crowd. 

We lost by 5 on the road to #16 ND. Buzz at least met expectations in year 1 and greatly overacheived in year 2.  This loss can't be put on Buzz.  

TillysDad

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 08:48:12 PM »
agree with almost all that has been mentioned previous.  Buzz has no since of momentum, and absolutely no sense of time and score.  I guess he follows the Phil Jackson approach of letting them play through the runs.  Sorry to tell you Buzz but you have no Kobe, and certainly no MJs on the roster.  Make an adjustment.  I hear you complain about ND getting 22 FT Attempts in the 2nd half.  Switch to a 2-3 for a couple possessions..... do something... the repeative nature of how we lose ballgames is getting old fast.  The way we played and the strategy or lack there of in the last 2 mins was pathetic.  And it continues to happen.... Sometimes I don't even know why I watch these roadgames

WarriorHal

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »
Butler and Buycks hit meaningless threes after the game was decided. It wasn't as close as the final score. We got destroyed. ND went from down 12 to up 5 with 9 minutes still left and we were never in it after that.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
The Louisville collapse and tonight is not on Buzz.  Tonight, Jimmy got the ball in the middle, which is all you really need to do against that zone, and he didn't score.  It's hard to make defensive adjustments when you get called for a foul for breathing on someone.  

What do people think that Buzz should have done?  Call timeout at some random time?  You can't waste timeouts any time you think that the team is going through adversity.  On the road, you can't always call timeout to quiet the crowd.  

We lost by 5 on the road to #16 ND. Buzz at least met expectations in year 1 and greatly overacheived in year 2.  This loss can't be put on Buzz.  

Finally some perspective...much of what' been said and typed in this thread is garbage...or some here really have NO clue about basketball.  MU was playing 5 on 8 tonight...ND's 5 + the 3 referees.  Simple as that.  36 free throws to 17.  Jimmy can't buy a foul underneath..nor Otule..nor Buycks..all who got good looks against the zone..were in the paint..but didn't finish largely due to being fouled..but not getting a call.  It was a terribly officiaited game.  Period.  The deck was stacked against MU right from the start.  When is the last time you recall a Buzz Williams team putting the other team in the bonus at the 9:00 minute mark of the first half?  When is the last time you saw a Buzz Williams team get out attempted at the free throw line - think it has only happned 1 time this season where the opponent shot more than MU...but his?  36-17 ND??  Please.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 09:04:08 PM by Ners »
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

TillysDad

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 09:04:08 PM »
Don't make it about the officiating.  Yeah the FTs are out of whack, especially considereing in BE play we before tonight avg 19 made, with our opponents only avg. 15 att.  But saying it was the officiating is a weak out.  You have to ADJUST to the way the game is being called.  Both players and coaches.  Buzz's repeated look of Oh s**t, not again is easily perceived from TV, I can just imagine what the players and staff think.  Don't blame the officiating, it is way more than that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2011, 09:06:36 PM »
Outrebounded in the 2nd half 23-11 but 15-3 on the defensive glass against the zone. 

http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/stats/2010-2011/mugame20.html#GAME.BX2

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
Don't make it about the officiating.  Yeah the FTs are out of whack, especially considereing in BE play we before tonight avg 19 made, with our opponents only avg. 15 att.  But saying it was the officiating is a weak out.  You have to ADJUST to the way the game is being called.  Both players and coaches.  Buzz's repeated look of Oh s**t, not again is easily perceived from TV, I can just imagine what the players and staff think.  Don't blame the officiating, it is way more than that.

Get a clue.  WE did adjust..we completely stopped defending with the intensity we did in the first half due to ND getting in the bonus at 9 minutes.  Hard to stop a team when phantom fouls are getting called.  Abromitis dunk attempt comes to mind.  Or the foul called that fouled out Jae Crowder - not even close to touching the player.  Or Hansbrough getting to the line repeatedly if there was so much as body contact.  

Haven't you also mentioned you think MU should have attacked the zone and gotten it to the paint more?  Or was that some other moron in this thread?  MU did get the ball to the paint against their zone..repeatedly..but when ND can foul you and not get called over and over and over..kind of makes going inside seem dumb too.  Ever seen Jimmy Butler miss so many 2 foot shots?  Really think a player at his skill level can't convert from 2 feet if he's not getting fouled?  Please.

The stats you brought up clearly illustrate the anamoloy this game representd as far as how it was officiated.  MU always wins the makes/attempts battle...NEVER, EVER gets outshot 2:1 under Buzz
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 09:10:45 PM »
I agree the team is gassed . weren't several of Jimmy's shots inside the free throw line short?  We just don't defend as well in second halves. Buzz  has to adjust .. he got outcoached again yhey made the adjustments

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 09:11:03 PM »
I listened to most of the game before watching the last 5 minutes. Seemed to me that Wisconsin native Willem Dafoe summed it up the best in the movie The Boondock Saints when he said "Good shooting, crapty shooting".

We shot the lights out in the first half, we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn int he second. Make some of our shots, we hold on to win.

Though I also think a timeout called after ND trimmed the 12-point lead to 7 was in order. You could hear the crowd rise up behind them and a timeout could have slowed their momentum. Instead, they continued on to a 26-9 run.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback