[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: please play your bench Buzz  (Read 16480 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: please play your bench Buzz
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 10:26:03 AM »
Plain and simple, Buzz shouldn't pull his starters until the other team does. If they haven't waved the white flag, why should we?

Exactly. Until the other team throws in towel, pour it on. Louisvile should always be a reminder to NEVER ease up until your opponent does.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 10:26:41 AM »
Although Buzz's past history of going with a short bench suggests I'm wrong, I'm going to chalk this up to the influence of the epic fail against Louisville. Even though it was just DePaul, and there was .000001% chance they were going to come back, Buzz wasn't acting rationally with the UL loss in the back of mind.  

Here's hoping for more comfortable leads and blowouts that gets those other guys in the game because we'll need them on the Big Dance floor.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 10:38:37 AM »
Exactly. Until the other team throws in towel, pour it on. Louisvile should always be a reminder to NEVER ease up until your opponent does.

Agreed--in BEast, keep the boot on the opponents throat until you are sure they cannot get back. Uh oh, I think this might be judged as hate speech in today's PC world.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

dpu70

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
Yeah, that was an a$$ woopin.

I want to thank Buzz for rekindling a seemingly dead rivalry.  Hatred restarts the feud.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2011, 10:56:07 AM »
I believe rather strongly that subs getting some tine with the starters helps their development much more than getting put in with all the other scrubs at the end of a game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 11:01:59 AM »
No way we empty the bench with 8 minutes left. If you think we should at the 6 minute mark with DePaul still pressing and playing all their regulars, okay. That would give Ox and Jamail 1:52 more playing time and EWill 2:52. Still think it's much ado about nothing.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
I'm not bitching because of one minute.  Up 30 with 11 to go.  We were up 33 with 8 to go.  Up 38 with 6 to go.  

JJ and Gardner were the first to get in at 4:08
EWill at 3,
Frozena at 1:26

Sure, in the end we're "bitching" about a few minutes.   Watching in the BC, they were very long minutes, with many thinking, wow, where's Gardner?  Ewill? Jones? Man, those guys must be terrible if they aren't playing now.  Start the transfer clock.

So you want to clear the bench with 11 minutes left?! How will you feel then when Butler and DJO have to go back into the game with 3 minutes left and a 20+ point lead because Jones and Gardner are sucking wind?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
Dpu...*that* is what is going to rekindle the rivalry?  A 30 point ass-whipping?

LOL. Good luck with that.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2011, 11:13:22 AM »

The problem with that is .. you have freshmen on your team because they eventually turn into sophomores.  The investment in one recruit is HUGE.   While Duke probably doesn't recruit projects, MU has a number of them on their team every year.   Kids will mature.  You need to keep them around until they pay off.   Guess what?  These kids aren't going to be 100% mentally strong every day and stick with you.

A weeks worth of a kid being pissed off with the wrong guys whispering in their ear about PT and better usage .. and suddenly your investment just went to zero.

Attitudes like this are a huge reason why American youths are such pansies. That's right! I went grumpy old man on you!  ;D

MU_Iceman

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
While I was hoping that we'd get to see some of the bench guys get a few minutes WITH our top players (ie. E-Will or Jones + 4 regular contributors, etc) I think it is worth noting that WHEN Buzz finally put those guys on the floor they looked extremely lost and the play was very sloppy.

Maybe that's because, again, it was all of them on the floor at once that led to that poor quality of play, but they were on the floor against DePaul's bench (two of which, in the final minutes, were walk-ons...actually one didn't even have his name on his jersey!) and they did not look good.  It definitely looked like there was a significant drop in ability from our 7th player to our bench.

Judging by that 4-minute snapshot, practice reps are more important than game reps for those guys right now...

dpu70

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 11:50:03 AM »
Dpu...*that* is what is going to rekindle the rivalry?  A 30 point ass-whipping?

LOL. Good luck with that.

DePaul has been a non-player last few years.  This will heighten the revenge factor.

Then again, I don't think many of our current players will be around to remember this game.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 11:52:00 AM by dpu70 »

Norm

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 11:55:20 AM »
All I'm saying is how about sticking EWill or J Jones in when we have a 20-30 point lead with more than half the game to play? WHat's wrong with putting EWIll in for a 5 minute stretch alongside Butler, DJO, Otule and Cadougan? Or play Jones for 5 minutes at the 15 minute mark with Crowder, DJO, Otule and Cadougan? Why always wait to put them in in mop up duty in blowouts?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 01:25:28 PM »
I would like to have seen Buzz selectively substitute and try various combinations by adding EWil, Ox and JJones with the starters @ various times.  This is our last tuneup before the gauntlet begins!

Agree with this completely.  Rather than sub them all in together at the end of the game.  Get them into the game flow with some of the starters.  At least would have allowed Buzz to steal a few minutes here and there before "the gauntlet" games.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »
All I'm saying is how about sticking EWill or J Jones in when we have a 20-30 point lead with more than half the game to play? WHat's wrong with putting EWIll in for a 5 minute stretch alongside Butler, DJO, Otule and Cadougan? Or play Jones for 5 minutes at the 15 minute mark with Crowder, DJO, Otule and Cadougan? Why always wait to put them in in mop up duty in blowouts?

Buzz put EWill in for ONE minute against Louisville when we were blowing them out. He gave up an offensive rebound put back on one end and missed a wide open lay up at the other. Those four points points seemed trivial at the time - didn't turn out that way.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »
I kind of agree on this...but..to me I'd like to see Buzz develop and feed his bench guys in throughout the game, giving rotation blows to the starters better, having them as rested as possible late. You want to be sure your best five is there to finish a game. Here late first half substitutions would have benn justified, and early second half subs on 1-2 starters at a time would have been better. Dont ride your horses until they wear out!!
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2011, 02:43:41 PM »
Marquette is the only team DePaul ever beats.  After some of our horrible losses to them, it was time to run it up.

I pay to see our good players play.

Do people really learn anything in mop-up duty that will make them better next year?  The only legimate point I've seen here is working in a guy with the main lineup at the 10 minute mark.  However, last night was a learning point for the main lineup so that was not going to happen.

Buzz handled it just fine.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2011, 02:48:54 PM »
So you want to clear the bench with 11 minutes left?! How will you feel then when Butler and DJO have to go back into the game with 3 minutes left and a 20+ point lead because Jones and Gardner are sucking wind?

I didn't say that.  I merely reported the score at 11 minutes, suggesting that by the final quarter of the game, the outcome was no longer in doubt.    I'd say EWill should have come in for the last 10 minutes, Gardner and Jones maybe the last 6-8.  As Norm stated, it would be good to work them in to play with the starters/first off the benchers.

And if EWill and Jones would be "sucking wind" after playing 8-10 minutes, the training staff should be fired.  Gardner, OK.  He's a load.

"Emptying the bench" is too pejorative.   "Letting our future contributors get some practice in a real game with zero downside risk of losing the game while minimizing injury to our main players" is how I'd put it.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2011, 02:53:26 PM »
Buzz put EWill in for ONE minute against Louisville when we were blowing them out. He gave up an offensive rebound put back on one end and missed a wide open lay up at the other. Those four points points seemed trivial at the time - didn't turn out that way.
Yes, because none of the regulars gave up an offensive rebound that game (see Terrence Jennings in the last 5 minutes) or missed a wide open layup (see DJO, Blue, Otule and Crowder).

wardle2wade

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »
Telling you guys... slumpbuster.

Buzz viewed Depaul as the big girl at closing time after a brutal breakup.  Depaul was the "slumpbuster" to make MU's main rotation forget about the heartache they just experienced.  What happens after a slumpbuster?  People get their confidence back, the sun starts to shine again, and they start moving on.  It's a long big east season, and you need to be able to move on and not dwell.  Beating Depaul by 30 probably helps remind the main guys they are worlds above the bottom five teams in the Big East.  Also gives them the confidence that they can close out a team by continuing to attack.

I'm asking genuinely to those who are complaining about our bench's playing time... were you also concerned Saturday with "how does a team get over a debilitating loss like that?  Mentally can they get over this?"  If so, the answer is yes you can get over it mentally... slumpbuster.

If this Depaul game were instead to take place in a month (and god forbid not after another epic collapse), I think we all know the playing time of the last 6-8 minutes would be very different.  And hopefully we get another opportunity to beat up on an opponent like this again... if we do, I bet we'll see Buzz treat the bench's minutes differently.

Either way, I'm all good with last night.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »
I don't have a problem with what transpired in light of last year's crushing loss to DPU & coming off of last Saturday.  I fell asleep at some point so I don't know if we ever started trying to run clock, but it sounds like we didn't from this thread which I think is good.

I think Fulce should be getting more minutes in general, and I think that a blowout could have presented an opportunity for that, but again I don't care given that it was probably overreaction to Saturday's debacle.

I also think that the people talking about "clearing the bench" in this thread somehow either don't understand or are being purposefully misleading.  No one said "clear the bench at 11:00".  Multiple people have suggested getting a bench guy minutes with 4 regulars.  The suggestion is to have one bench player in the game for extended minutes, not all of them.  A few minutes for Fulce, then replace him with EW, etc.  No one is saying that we should play the last 5 guys on the roster for the last 10 minutes of the game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »

+1

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »
Yes, because none of the regulars gave up an offensive rebound that game (see Terrence Jennings in the last 5 minutes) or missed a wide open layup (see DJO, Blue, Otule and Crowder).

Certainly guys gave up offensive rebound put back baskets, though very few in that game. And guys may also have missed semi open lay ups, but none as totally wide open as EWill. I was shocked that he didn't even draw iron as he clanged it off the glass. EWill was only in the game for two possessions and gave away four points - doesn't get any worse than that.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »
If I remember correctly, EWill missed the layup very quickly after he entered - maybe it has something to do with being rusty? I don't know, but Otule got used several times inside by Cleveland for DePaul. But, overall, Otule has improved this season because he actually gets playing time. Every player on the floor makes mistakes out there, but they get to play through them.