Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No foul on that last play?  (Read 10438 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
No foul on that last play?
« on: December 29, 2010, 10:14:51 PM »
I never fault referees for a game’s outcome, but did Darius Johnson-Odom really fall completely on his own at the end of the game?

None of the Vanderbilt players had any role in that?

Johnson-Odom just fell on his own?

Really?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 10:23:56 PM by MU Avenue »

GGGG

• All American
Re: No call on that last play?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16:07 PM »
They are not going to bail DJO out going 1 on 3...with a wide open Buycks on the top of the key.  DJO can really be a dumb basketball player sometimes.  I would have rather given it to Buycks in that situation.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16:21 PM »
No intentional foul on the fast break?

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16:57 PM »
Yes, absolutely.  Bad call, we beat these guys out in Milwaukee.  Where was the intentional foul call too on the breakaway stopped by a vandy foul?

Vanderbilt gets 2 breaks
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 10:16:59 PM »
I never fault referees for a game’s outcome, but did Vander Blue really fall completely on his own at the end of the game?

None of the Vanderbilt players had any role in that?

Blue just fell on his own?

Really?

Yeah, really.  On the road, not going to get it.  Besides, the analyst was wrong, he didn't trip over his foot. Watched the replay about 10 times.  Did he get him with the body, hard to tell but he certainly didn't trip him.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: No foul on that last play?
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
They called the intentional on Crowder when it wasn't a fast break but when we had the wide open fast break no intentional.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »
Jim Burr needs to retire

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »
Didn't look like a trip to me either after lots of DVR slow mo.  DJO just out of control.  We just never get a decent look at an end of game shot.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »
Yes, 3rd bad call - intentional on Crowder

2) no intentional on breakaway

1) no call at end
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 10:19:50 PM »
Yeah, really.  On the road, not going to get it.  Besides, the analyst was wrong, he didn't trip over his foot. Watched the replay about 10 times.  Did he get him with the body, hard to tell but he certainly didn't trip him.

As I slo moe'd and paused..there was clear contact between the Vandy player's leg/foot and DJO..pretty sure DJO can run and not fall to the ground..so long as he doesn't get tripped or nudged.

The bigger issue was the B.S. intentional foul they awarded Vanderbilt 94 feet from the basket..and then didn't award MU the same when DJO has a SURE dunk and the player grabs DJO to prevent him from going to in for a clear, uncontested slam.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 10:20:39 PM »
They called the intentional on Crowder when it wasn't a fast break but when we had the wide open fast break no intentional.

Calling an intentional in either case is stupid.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »
As I slo moe'd and paused..there was clear contact between the Vandy player's leg/foot and DJO..pretty sure DJO can run and not fall to the ground..so long as he doesn't get tripped or nudged.

He was completely out of control.  That would have been a BS call.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 10:22:39 PM »
Yes, absolutely.  Bad call, we beat these guys out in Milwaukee.  Where was the intentional foul call too on the breakaway stopped by a vandy foul?

Vanderbilt gets 2 breaks

But that's the deal, it wasn't in Milwaukee.  Road games are tougher because you don't get the calls.

I thought the breakaway call was poor on the refs part.  Did not think the last play was. 

MU got a break as well....one of their starters didn't play.

Good to see St. John's beat West Virginia tonight at WVU.  Feel very good about us beating WVU in Milwaukee.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2010, 10:24:37 PM »

The bigger issue was the B.S. intentional foul they awarded Vanderbilt 94 feet from the basket..and then didn't award MU the same when DJO has a SURE dunk and the player grabs DJO to prevent him from going to in for a clear, uncontested slam.

Look at it again, and watch his feet from the top angle camera (the original angle) when DJO already has him beat and their legs haven't touched...I would argue if anything happened he got him with the hip but hard to say.  No way you're going to get that call on the hip.

Agree that the intentional non foul was a blown call, that was terrible.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2010, 10:24:52 PM »

He was completely out of control.  That would have been a BS call.

Are you saying he was out of control before or after he made contact with the Vandy guy's leg and flew to the ground?  When a guy sets a screen you can't stick your leg out and knock someone over.  If you do, that tends to make them lose contol of their body.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »
But that's the deal, it wasn't in Milwaukee.  Road games are tougher because you don't get the calls.

I thought the breakaway call was poor on the refs part.  Did not think the last play was. 

MU got a break as well....one of their starters didn't play.

Good to see St. John's beat West Virginia tonight at WVU.  Feel very good about us beating WVU in Milwaukee.

we don't get many calls in MKE either though.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2010, 10:25:57 PM »
Is the clear-path foul an NBA-only thing or is it in college as well? Either way there is no way that should have been an intentional foul on Crowder, people do that on almost every possession when the ball is rebounded. Sure it probably should have been a foul because it was in plain view, but no way intentional.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
Jim Burr needs to retire
Burr has always been a dipstick in our games. He must be pissed at MU for some reason.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 10:27:26 PM »
They are not going to bail DJO out going 1 on 3...with a wide open Buycks on the top of the key.  DJO can really be a dumb basketball player sometimes.  I would have rather given it to Buycks in that situation.

Sorry Sultan...but not too many kids have the wherewithal to be able to rush full speed up the court with 4.1 seconds left..survey the defense, asses their own shot option, other teammates on the court, calculate will there be enough time for the pass to get their and the shot to get launched.  Lots at play there.  I like the aggressive move of taking it all the way to the basket as the defense cannot foul, is generally stationary, and the offensive player has the momentum..

Can you imagine if DJO did pass off and it was too late and we don't get a shot off in that scenario?  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

chren21

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »
Are you saying he was out of control before or after he made contact with the Vandy guy's leg and flew to the ground?  When a guy sets a screen you can't stick your leg out and knock someone over.  If you do, that tends to make them lose contol of their body.

Dosen't matter.  He was out of control, looked out of control, and when that is the case you are not going to get the call.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »

I am saying he was out of control on the drive and a foul would have been a BS bailout call.  I mean, where was he going?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2010, 10:28:49 PM »
The Vandy defender could have stuck his arm out and clothes-lined DJO and they weren't going to call a foul in that situation. Having a defensive breakdown on the biggest possession of the game is why MU lost.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »
Ners, Buycks makes better decisions than DJO does.  He sees the floor better too.

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 10:29:59 PM »

I am saying he was out of control on the drive and a foul would have been a BS bailout call.  I mean, where was he going?

Around the screen toward the basket for a pull up at about 17 feet.

NCAARules

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 10:31:06 PM »
I'm not as disturbed by the lack of a foul on the last play. On the road, certainly don't expect to get that call. True that you do want the first minute to be reffed the same way as the last minute, but that's rarely the case.

My question for the board is this - did anyone notice that DJO was sent up the right side of the court, even though he is left-handed? I'm wondering if that contributed to his lack of control/awareness. I know he has tremendous finishing abilities with both hands, but I think he loses his handle more easily when he dribbles right.

((And even as I'm typing the question, I realize it is probably easier for him to get a shot up going against the grain, but he has to get through the defense first))

feedback