Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU  (Read 30161 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith to Transfer?
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2010, 10:37:41 AM »

That is why I love guys like Mathews, McNeal, Hayward, etc.   They stayed committed, worked their tails off and good things happened.  I think Vander Blue will be an example of that maturation process.  You did not see him whining for not starting at guard.  You see a young man working really hard, soaking up the coaching, earning minutes and is getting  better and better.  

To be honest though - Matthews, McNeal were full time starters from Day 1 due to their being so little talent at MU when they arrived.  And Lazar - he got some pretty good PT as a freshman too - I believe around 18-20 minutes per game. 

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »
Not buying Buzz's "40% of Freshman are transferring".

Not buying his not to worry attitude.

In Buzz we trust.

Actually, that statistic is correct.  I read it in an espn article recently, which stated that roughly 40% of college athletes transfer.  I don't recall if it's within their first year or their collegiate career, but it is indeed a statistic.

That said, I also think it's total B.S. and shouldn't be that high of a number.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2010, 10:39:12 AM »
Buzz is really going to earn his paycheck now....as this isn't exactly an ideal situation to be in going into a big matchup 2 days from now. Plus, the team has already lost it's first 3 marquee games of the non-conference season. And who knows if other players aren't upset or how they're handling Smith's departure. This is where not having a guy like Lazar Hayward around hurts because he just had that "it" factor when it came to real leadership. I'm not sure anyone has it on this team this year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2010, 10:40:26 AM »
Honest question:  have you ever heard Buzz say that he doesn't love one of his guys?  In the Roziak article Buzz said that he loved both Reggie and Maymon and their families.  Do you honestly believe that Buzz loved Tim Maymon?  I don't.  Is it possible that this is "coach speak?" 

I like Buzz a lot and am very happy with him.  But, he's a coach and I believe all coaches engage in "coach speak."  That doesn't mean that I think he's a liar, but the fact that he says he "loved" Reggie means virtually nothing as far as I'm concerned.

Definitely see your point..for sure..and Buzz does throw around the word love a lot..no doubt.  However, in all of the footage I a saw whether it was Revealed, postgame interviews, pre-season interviews, media day, etc...when it pertained to Reggie..it really did not seem like coach speak..it was of the capital letter variety:  LOVE.  Just my perception of it..but certainly can agree with your point.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2010, 10:40:39 AM »
I'm on the fence on this one.  I hate it when Buzz pulls a player 2 minutes into a game.  Let the players get into the flow of the game.  He did that last year and eventually the substitution pattern became a lot better as the season went along.  Then again we were running out of players so who knows.

On the other hand, Smith was getting 10 minutes a game.  For a deep team at a big time program, that is some decent minutes for a freshmen who is not an impact player at this point in time.  It really doesn't matter where his 10 minutes came from, 10 minutes is 10 minutes and to be able to start a game is a plus in my books.  

My guess is that nomorebuycks might be right, it is another circumstance where the player feels he is not being utilized the way he wants to be utilized.  If Smith thinks he is better served as a 2 guard then he should go somewhere else where he will be able to play the 2 guard.  No ill will towards the young man.  Leaving now, hurts the team in the short run but helps Buzz longer term as he now has more time to find another recruit and the extra 10 minutes a game goes to other players.  

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2010, 10:41:18 AM »
If its Ewill who does he think he should play ahead of? Should he be getting minutes from butler, crowder?

As for Jones, he should play more...he's the only one who can shoot on the bench.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 27, 2010, 10:43:01 AM »
I'll guarantee this will be another transfer we'll look back on in a few years and really wish didn't happen. I think Smith will eventually become a very good high-major player. You just cannot teach his speed/quicks/athleticism.

You may be right, but I don't think his athleticism alone means he'll be a special player. Heck, Carlton Christian arguably was the most athletic player of the Crean era (at least most athletic player not named Wade). What ever became of him?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2010, 10:44:00 AM »
You may be right, but I don't think his athleticism alone means he'll be a special player. Heck, Carlton Christian arguably was the most athletic player of the Crean era (at least most athletic player not named Wade). What ever became of him?

well, except for D-James, obviously... I assume forgot to mention him?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #83 on: December 27, 2010, 10:45:30 AM »
Here we go again. Everybody defending "In Buzz we trust". No one challenging his wierd rotations/substitutions etc.. Pretty predictable.

Agreed.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
I'll guarantee this will be another transfer we'll look back on in a few years and really wish didn't happen. I think Smith will eventually become a very good high-major player. You just cannot teach his speed/quicks/athleticism. He'll be a guy that will be able to break defenses down at will and lock down opposing 1/2's. It's too bad, but what can you do if the kid just doesn't want to be around. I had a feeling this would happen when Wilson was signed because how can you play 3 guys that you want to be "true" pg's and still keep them happy with their amount of minutes. Just can't happen. His loss won't hurt us much now unless someone gets injured, but I think it will really hurt us 2 years from now. I really liked this kid's potential a lot. Dammit.

Agree 100%.  Reggie will be very successful in his NCAA career.  He may choose to go to a high mid major such as UIC..where he can come in and play immediately...but he will have other high major schools after his services.  Wish him the best.  Really wish he would have stuck around MU - to me he was just 1 year away from being a very solid PG.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2010, 10:46:28 AM »
Actually, that statistic is correct.  I read it in an espn article recently, which stated that roughly 40% of college athletes transfer.  I don't recall if it's within their first year or their collegiate career, but it is indeed a statistic.

That said, I also think it's total B.S. and shouldn't be that high of a number.

I'd love to scratch under the surface of that statistic...but don't know if the data is out there.  It raises a lot of questions:  is this a basketball-only number?  What percent transfer in their first year (or second, third, etc.)?  What percent transfer because of coaching changes?  What percent transfer away from the coach that recruited/signed them?  Lots of questions.

Also, Buzz said, "Forty percent of the freshmen across the country are transferring."  The statistic you remember seeing is is that 40% of college athletes transfer.  In the context of Rosiak's article, I interpreted Buzz's comment to mean that forty percent of mens basketball freshman transfer (and I found that hard to believe).  Buzz's statement is ambiguous.  I'll readily admit that I might have read too much into his statement and that he shouldn't be blamed for my interpretation, but even so, there is a big difference between "forty percent of freshman" and "forty percent of college athletes."
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »
There's one other guy who's VERY unhappy and might transfer after the season. 

I've heard the same thing...amazing how they've been "battling illness".....it's like Gerald Posey and his "toothache" with Dukiet. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: December 27, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
It's amazing to read some of the comments here vs what the comments would have been say, oh, 3 to 8 years ago.  Entertaining to say the least.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 27, 2010, 10:56:02 AM »
really want to bring up the man who invented the term "Spring Creaning" by all of our adversaries?

there are plenty here who are concerned about the rate of transfers, recruits not seeing the first day of school and mid-season bolts seemingly overplaying time / how they are used

It's amazing to read some of the comments here vs what the comments would have been say, oh, 3 to 8 years ago.  Entertaining to say the least.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #89 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
I'll guarantee this will be another transfer we'll look back on in a few years and really wish didn't happen. I think Smith will eventually become a very good high-major player.

And what high-major program is he going to get more playing time then he got here?  He started 5 of his 8 games and averaged 10 minutes a game.  What high-major program is going to give more than that?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2010, 10:57:38 AM »

I see where you're going... and I can't quite fully agree with you.

People were up in arms about transfers under Crean, just like some are w/Buzz. TC had a lot of them early on as well. Were there more people critical of TC? Yeah, that's fair to say. But on the flip side Buzz hasn't lost an entire class either.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2010, 10:58:06 AM »
really want to bring up the man who invented the term "Spring Creaning" by all of our adversaries?

there are plenty here who are concerned about the rate of transfers, recruits not seeing the first day of school and mid-season bolts seemingly overplaying time / how they are used

I think you miss the point (of course our "adversaries" now call it buzz cutting so the tradition lives).....I'll just continue to chuckle at the double standards here that come up almost every week.  Happy New Year
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:13:29 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2010, 10:58:54 AM »
But on the flip side Buzz hasn't lost an entire class either.

Twice.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:09 AM »
Is the other guy Cadougan? Cuz of Derrick coming in?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2010, 11:00:57 AM »
Chicos -I am disappointed that Reggie is transferring - in my view out of all the transfers thus far in Buzz's tenure  - Reggie to me far and away has the most potential.

Now..I'm not trying to pick a fight with you - but...do you feel that part of the chagrin MU fans had during Crean's time at MU with regard to transfers was that in almost every case, the roster only had 3-5 high major players on it - and playing time wasn't really that hard to come by - or at least you didn't have 3 deep, high major depth at most positions?

Next year Reggie would be competing with Junior, Derrick Wilson, and maybe even Vander for PT..

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »
I think a lot of freshmen do not realize the amount of work involved in playing at a major program. UW is able to avoid a lot of transfers, because they are good at using a redshirt year for freshmen. You cannot be unhappy with playing time, if you are redshirting. Also once you redshirt you are locked into your school, because you will lose a year of eligibility. I think redshirting results in a lot of stability in Bo Ryan's program, which is a key component to his success.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2010, 11:04:42 AM »
Don't forget Singleton's role, because we still don't know if will be taking a scholarship or not
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:10:52 AM by jhags15 »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2010, 11:06:13 AM »
And what high-major program is he going to get more playing time then he got here?  He started 5 of his 8 games and averaged 10 minutes a game.  What high-major program is going to give more than that?

Also agree with your point.  Sadly, with 1 more year of work in a program like MU or another high major program..Reggie probably will be ready to contribute more minutes/production.

I keep beating this dead horse...but...in my opinion...signing Derrick Wilson was the catalyst for things going south with Reggie.  Next year he will have Junior, Derrick Wilson, (possibly Dave Singleton even), and maybe even Vander to compete with for PT at point.  Though to mention Singleton sounds crazy...Wes Matthews did say that Dave Singleton impressed him most of all the newcomers during the MKE Pro-Am..FWIW..

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2010, 11:07:40 AM »
Can Singleton or Frozena recieve Smith's scholarship for the second semester of this year or is it a full year thing which is now just wasted.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2010, 11:10:36 AM »
Are you missing my point - plenty here are concerned with Buzz's transfers (and I know you are not saying people were not concerned with the tanned one transfers).

I think you miss the point.....I'll just continue to chuckle at the double standards here that come up almost every week.  Happy New Year

feedback