Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU  (Read 29929 times)

Da 'Lanche

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith to Transfer?
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2010, 09:53:09 AM »
Smith didn't want to play PG.

Maybe he can transfer to Tennessee and battle Maymon for the 2 guard spot.

Seriously, I have no issue if someone wants to transfer.   It does seem to be getting more common at MU and I don't know if it is concerning or not.  Perhaps it is the price to pay when you start recruiting higher rated recruits.  They are treated like rockstars during the recruitment process, have AAU coaches (and parents and handlers) telling them they are the next one-and-done NBA lotto winner and then expect to march into a program and put up numbers and get all the playing time.   Maybe it is something related to Buzz (rotations, playing time allocation, who knows) but I wonder what other schools transfer rates are like and if we are in the norm for college basketball.  Buzz seems to connect with these kids pretty well.  If playing time is the main issue, then I worry about Jones and EWill as well.

That is why I love guys like Mathews, McNeal, Hayward, etc.   They stayed committed, worked their tails off and good things happened.  I think Vander Blue will be an example of that maturation process.  You did not see him whining for not starting at guard.  You see a young man working really hard, soaking up the coaching, earning minutes and is getting  better and better.  

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2010, 09:55:10 AM »
There's one other guy who's VERY unhappy and might transfer after the season. 

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 09:55:22 AM »
Smith did MU a favor. He's Horizon League talent at best. I don't get how anyone who can dribble and shoot the basketball is convinced they belong in the Association.
Credit Buzz with handling these situations swiftly and peacefully. Hey, if the fit isn't right, you must quit.

+1.  Use the scholarship to bring in better talent.  You can be replaced Reggie.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 09:57:17 AM »

He can get the hell out then also.  If you want to play, earn it.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 09:58:21 AM »
And as predictable as can be, the Buzz defenders start urinating all over Smith.

Maybe Smith is wrong, but it is his choice, and you cannot dismiss his frustration. he starts and then plays less than 10 minutes, etc.

The mindless mind games that have been played are not appropriate.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 09:59:46 AM »
He started five games on a high level, Big East team.  Not many freshman in the country can say that.  He had his chance, didn't execute and it didn't work out.  Whether it was a rotation issue on Buzz's part or not.  I wish him the best of luck at a So. Illinois, Loyola or compatible school.  

Les Nessman

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 10:00:27 AM »

Stop being a douche and just say who it is so we can avoid all the conjecture. But I agree with TallTitan, if you don't like i here, there's no sense in staying around.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 10:00:41 AM »
Frozena?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 10:02:42 AM »
People move on eavery day in all walks of life.  If a guy like Reggie wants to move on for a "better" opportunity so be it.  No shame on him and no shame on MU/Buzz.  Best of wishes to Reggie in his future endeavors.  Time to move on.

john_cocktoasten

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 10:03:03 AM »
It sounds like he had some people in his ear influencing his decision like maymon. It's a shame because I think this kid could have been real good

john_cocktoasten

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2010, 10:06:11 AM »
No $hit just say who you think it is... Is it Jones or EWill

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2010, 10:07:37 AM »

Internet troll, that's all you are...
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
No $hit just say who you think it is... Is it Jones or EWill

yes

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2010, 10:12:29 AM »
Is there a location where transfer data/rates are available that could put where we stand in perspective to other schools?

If players are unhappy, it seems that most everyone has had a chance to get in there and show what they could do (unless you want to complain about too-frequent substitutions, not getting into the rhythm of the game, etc.). My impression is that Buzz was pretty good at the "bonding" so if the group as a whole remains unhappy, I guess I don't jest get it. Maybe the bottom line is that what these kids get told by their posses doesn't jibe with what really happens at a mojor program.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2010, 10:14:32 AM »
People move on eavery day in all walks of life.  If a guy like Reggie wants to move on for a "better" opportunity so be it.  No shame on him and no shame on MU/Buzz.  Best of wishes to Reggie in his future endeavors.  Time to move on.

Disagree.  Shame on Reggie leaving his team in the middle of a season.  If he wants a "better" opportunity wait until the end of the year to do so.  Don't bail on the guys you go to battle with.

GoMarquetteSays

[GoMarquette.com] Reggie Smith Leaving MU Men's Basketball Team
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2010, 10:15:07 AM »
Reggie Smith Leaving MU Men's Basketball Team

Marquette University men's basketball freshman Reggie Smith has decided to leave the program and has asked for his release, effective immediately, head coach Buzz Williams announced Monday morning.

http://onlyfans.cstv.com/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/122710aaa.html

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »

I'm guessing your source is you seeing EWill and Jones' limited minutes. 

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2010, 10:18:39 AM »
This is a big loss.  Smith wasn't burning it up on offense but he was a tenacious defender and one of the quickest players in the country.  He will sign with a high major program.

That being said, Marquette will survive and hopefully Buzz replace him with a  player that wants to be here regardless of playing time.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2010, 10:20:57 AM »
Disagree.  Shame on Reggie leaving his team in the middle of a season.  If he wants a "better" opportunity wait until the end of the year to do so.  Don't bail on the guys you go to battle with.

You'd rather have him leave now.  You don't want to have someone who is unhappy about playing time on your roster.

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »
Is there a location where transfer data/rates are available that could put where we stand in perspective to other schools?

If players are unhappy, it seems that most everyone has had a chance to get in there and show what they could do (unless you want to complain about too-frequent substitutions, not getting into the rhythm of the game, etc.). My impression is that Buzz was pretty good at the "bonding" so if the group as a whole remains unhappy, I guess I don't jest get it. Maybe the bottom line is that what these kids get told by their posses doesn't jibe with what really happens at a mojor program.

Look at it from Smith's point of view.  He's playing a position that he doesn't think suits his game the best.  In practice, nobody is distinguishing himself at PG.  Somehow, Buzz starts Smith at PG in the biggest rivalry game of the year vs UW.  This surprises everyone, including Smith.  Then he gets yanked almost immediately.  If Buzz wants to make Smith a PG, then he has to bite the bullet and let him learn and grow into the position.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2010, 10:26:13 AM »
It sounds like he had some people in his ear influencing his decision like maymon. It's a shame because I think this kid could have been real good

I agree with 100% of your post.  From all account Buzz loved Reggie.  Said it many times in interviews, Revealed, etc.  Think Reggie has a lot of tools to be a very good player at the high major level.  Unfortunately, it just was going to take a little bit of time for Reggie to be able to be really "tight" in his game.  Think just 1 year from now in our program, he would have developed his handle more, toughness..basically everything..and he has the athleticism you cannot teach.

If I were to speculate..things went south right around the time MU signed Derrick Wilson - think Reggie's attitude changed.  He was quite happy at Madness..was getting starting PT, etc...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
I have to agree - why the hell did Buzz start Smith against UW - is he try to pacify the demands for playing time or truly putting the best team on the floor to win the game? 

That move was a head scratcher at the time but now with more info revealed it may be more a case of Buzz play lineup games to appease everybody...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
Look at it from Smith's point of view.  He's playing a position that he doesn't think suits his game the best.

Pray tell, what position best suits a 6' kid who can't shoot? Does he think he's making it to the league as a wing?
Nothing against the kid, but like some transfers before him (the names Mason and Maymon come to mind) he either has a vastly overinflated opinion of his abilities or is listening to the wrong people. And like those two guys, he may learn that the grass isn't always greener.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »
I'll guarantee this will be another transfer we'll look back on in a few years and really wish didn't happen. I think Smith will eventually become a very good high-major player. You just cannot teach his speed/quicks/athleticism. He'll be a guy that will be able to break defenses down at will and lock down opposing 1/2's. It's too bad, but what can you do if the kid just doesn't want to be around. I had a feeling this would happen when Wilson was signed because how can you play 3 guys that you want to be "true" pg's and still keep them happy with their amount of minutes. Just can't happen. His loss won't hurt us much now unless someone gets injured, but I think it will really hurt us 2 years from now. I really liked this kid's potential a lot. Dammit.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 10:33:37 AM by Doris Burkes Thong »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2010, 10:34:01 AM »
I agree with 100% of your post.  From all account Buzz loved Reggie.  Said it many times in interviews, Revealed, etc.

Honest question:  have you ever heard Buzz say that he doesn't love one of his guys?  In the Roziak article Buzz said that he loved both Reggie and Maymon and their families.  Do you honestly believe that Buzz loved Tim Maymon?  I don't.  Is it possible that this is "coach speak?" 

I like Buzz a lot and am very happy with him.  But, he's a coach and I believe all coaches engage in "coach speak."  That doesn't mean that I think he's a liar, but the fact that he says he "loved" Reggie means virtually nothing as far as I'm concerned.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.