[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU  (Read 29931 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith to Transfer?
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 08:55:53 AM »
Ok... so why is it a big deal if there are transfers? It's part of life at a major program. Especially if you're bringing in a lot of talent. Some guys use competition for PT as motivation, some are scared by it. They'll go where it's guaranteed.

Like I said, hope this isn't true. But if so, next guy in.

While I do agree with you, it's getting to be disappointing not having a steady roster and classes.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 08:58:09 AM »
The mid-season transfer makes sense, if he was unhappy and was sick enough that he was going to miss several games anyways. Why stay until end of season, if you are not healthy enough to play. Having said that, I liked Reggie and wish him the best. I also wonder if it makes sense to start a freshmen, if you do not plan to start him the whole season. A good way to make a young player unhappy is to take away his starting job.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2010, 09:10:00 AM »
I don't like this. We need all the help we can get at the point, and Smith has game-changing speed. I understand the idea that starting him may be a mistake, or that he may not feel like he's fitting in, but bailing after 12 games just seems a bit silly to me. And I'm sick of having 1-2 transfers out every year. It's not like this guy isn't talented enough to get time, he's a top 150 recruit and has shown plenty of flashes. He obviously saw enough in Marquette eight months ago to believe it was a good fit for him, how much has changed? Personally, I think it's too early for either side to give up. I think it was a mistake for the Maymons, I think it's a mistake for Reggie.

Either way, I hope it works out for Reggie. He's seemed like the kind of guy we want around campus, and maybe that's why I am hoping he won't leave. But at some point, I want some of these guys to mature into fourth year seniors, and this revolving door won't give us that. If every 100-150 ranked guy that can't get time as a freshman ends up leaving, where does that put us 4 years later? I don't like it. We need to find ways to get seniors that have 4 years in the program if we want to make deep NCAA runs with any consistency.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2010, 09:10:26 AM »
While I do agree with you, it's getting to be disappointing not having a steady roster and classes.

Understandable, but losing one/year doesn't do that much harm to the balance. Crean lost 10 to transfer in 9 years. But three times he lost more than one from a recruiting class, including the entire '04 and '07 freshmen classes. That's the killer.

Next year, if Reggie leaves, it stands at 2 freshmen, 4 sophs, 3 juniors, 2 seniors. Not terribly imbalanced. Room to add either two freshmen, or a frosh and a JUCO to even it up.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 09:15:42 AM »
I don't like this. We need all the help we can get at the point, and Smith has game-changing speed. I understand the idea that starting him may be a mistake, or that he may not feel like he's fitting in, but bailing after 12 games just seems a bit silly to me. And I'm sick of having 1-2 transfers out every year. It's not like this guy isn't talented enough to get time, he's a top 150 recruit and has shown plenty of flashes. He obviously saw enough in Marquette eight months ago to believe it was a good fit for him, how much has changed? Personally, I think it's too early for either side to give up. I think it was a mistake for the Maymons, I think it's a mistake for Reggie.

Either way, I hope it works out for Reggie. He's seemed like the kind of guy we want around campus, and maybe that's why I am hoping he won't leave. But at some point, I want some of these guys to mature into fourth year seniors, and this revolving door won't give us that. If every 100-150 ranked guy that can't get time as a freshman ends up leaving, where does that put us 4 years later? I don't like it. We need to find ways to get seniors that have 4 years in the program if we want to make deep NCAA runs with any consistency.

Agree.

And, if he does leave, warthog-driver is going to be PISSED!
The "average fan" is an idiot.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2010, 09:19:11 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
I am waiting to pass judgment until I find out if it is a health issue.

EDIT:  If it is a health issue I hope things aren't too serious and Reggie can make a full recovery.  If it isn't a health issue, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.  Bailing on your teammates halfway through a season makes you quitter and less of a man.  But like I said, I'm waiting for the story to come out.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:25:23 AM by TallTitan34 »

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
This one doesn't bother me much as far as loss of talent goes.  I didn't see much true pg in his game, and that's tough to develop.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 09:25:55 AM »
Is he obligated to give back his IPad ?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »
Understandable, but losing one/year doesn't do that much harm to the balance. Crean lost 10 to transfer in 9 years. But three times he lost more than one from a recruiting class, including the entire '04 and '07 freshmen classes. That's the killer.

Next year, if Reggie leaves, it stands at 2 freshmen, 4 sophs, 3 juniors, 2 seniors. Not terribly imbalanced. Room to add either two freshmen, or a frosh and a JUCO to even it up.

You're right. I'll retract that statement.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 09:30:04 AM »
Smith transferring from MU

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/112501304.html

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 09:31:57 AM »
Smith didn't want to play PG.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 09:38:21 AM »
According to Rosiak it sounds like he was upset about playing time.  You are a freshman.  Goodbye.

MUWarrior4Life

• Team Captain
  • Pro Deo Et Patria
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2010, 09:41:53 AM »
I don't get this, what is going on @ MU? We R losing people left and right, seems like every year? The kid's nowadays,  UNREAL. The kid started how many games this year so far? I'm truly baffled by this situation. JUST PLAY BALL and get a grade A education!!! He'll probably end up at UIC. Good luck!!!

chren21

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »
According to Rosiak it sounds like he was upset about playing time.  You are a freshman.  Goodbye.

Agree.  If that is the case then he is living in a dream world.  Did he do something on the court that suggested he deserved any more playing time than he has recieved?  No way.  I dont understand his thoughts.  Does he think he is K Irving?

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
Smith transferring from MU

Reggie Smith, a 6-foot, 175-pound guard from Thornton Township (Ill.) High School, received his release from Marquette University this morning and will transfer.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/112501304.html

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2010, 09:45:25 AM »
Here we go again. Everybody defending "In Buzz we trust". No one challenging his wierd rotations/substitutions etc.. Pretty predictable.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2010, 09:46:05 AM »
Not a big loss in the long-term scheme of things.  This year if we get an injury then it becomes a big deal for sure.  I think we really need to play only a two guard lineup now going forward.  We are a bit thin at guard to play three guards in the game at one time.

On another level, I think this was justice for Marquette.  I was not too happy how the Newbill situation transpired;  it seems like we got our just desserts for this one.  A little karma if you will.  We paid the price (even if price wasn't too expensive) and now we can move on.

Will be interesting to see how Buzz uses the extra schollie.  Any chance Singleton gets a deal?

reinko

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »
If you believe in karma, I have bag of magic beans to sell you.

avid1010

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2010, 09:48:35 AM »
Blows my mind...

I posted many times that I thought Buzz cost his team points by starting Smith because of his turnovers, and Smith feels he's deserving of more time?  I'll be interested to see where he ends up, as I don't see how any lagit D1 team can give him PT at his current level of play.

nomorebuycks

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2010, 09:48:37 AM »
If Rosiak had any guts, he'd write about the absolute mess that this season may turn into.

He talks about it in private, but is beyond soft in his coverage.

And I'm sorry if you guys don't like it, but this has been an unhappy group of players from early on this season.

I said a while ago that Buzz was worried that the team wasn't "gelling" and I stand by that and it's still the case.

IMO, the best plan would be to start Blue at PG (I know it's late for that) and give the lion's share of playing time at the Center spot to Gardner.  I don't care if he defense is lacking or he doesn't bust his butt in practice.  That's where the real talent is with this team.   Blue, Gardner and Wilson are the guys you want to go to war with next season.  

chren21

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »
Here we go again. Everybody defending "In Buzz we trust". No one challenging his wierd rotations/substitutions etc.. Pretty predictable.

This I had to think twice about cause I agree the sub patterns are erratic..  But should reggie really be complaining?  I dont think so...  If he questions the substuiting patterns as a whole, I guess.  In terms of the time and starts that he has recieved he has no ground to stand on.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2010, 09:50:33 AM »
Is he obligated to give back his IPad ?

yes.

willie warrior

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Smith transferring from MU
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2010, 09:51:51 AM »
Not buying Buzz's "40% of Freshman are transferring".

Not buying his not to worry attitude.

In Buzz we trust.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2010, 09:52:52 AM »
Smith did MU a favor. He's Horizon League talent at best. I don't get how anyone who can dribble and shoot the basketball is convinced they belong in the Association.
Credit Buzz with handling these situations swiftly and peacefully. Hey, if the fit isn't right, you must quit.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"