[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MV MU discussion  (Read 8932 times)

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
Re: MV MU discussion
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 08:08:45 AM »
DJO has to realize that he's more than just a shooter. Just because his shot doesn't fall some nights doesn't mean he's not going to be a benefit to his team. He had some quick hands tonight and was creating with his passes.

+1.

Last night, he really let the game come to him...and that is when he (and 95% of players) is at his best.

Buzz made a comment on the BW Show on Monday how DJO needs to be more confident, etc. even when things arent going in his way (as a person - which IMO is the same on the bball court). On nights where he makes his first few shots, we won't have to worry about him. But if he misses his first few, he starts to press too much - see the Becky games when he was one spin move away from corkscrewing himself into the floor.

The "average fan" is an idiot.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »
+1.

Last night, he really let the game come to him...and that is when he (and 95% of players) is at his best.

Buzz made a comment on the BW Show on Monday how DJO needs to be more confident, etc. even when things arent going in his way (as a person - which IMO is the same on the bball court). On nights where he makes his first few shots, we won't have to worry about him. But if he misses his first few, he starts to press too much - see the Becky games when he was one spin move away from corkscrewing himself into the floor.

Great analysis -  it looked like they ran the first play of the game  for DJO, to get him that mid-range jumper - to get him going/off - thankfully he hit it...and like you mention in the bolded part..he's all good from that point on.

I've posted this before but if DJO played at just 85% of last seasons DJO - more than likely MU is undefeated, and ranked in the Top 10 at this point.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2010, 09:10:09 AM »
I've posted this before but if DJO played at just 85% of last seasons DJO - more than likely MU is undefeated, and ranked in the Top 10 at this point.

Whether or not DJO made a couple of more 3's or not, there is no way that MU has looked anything close to a top 10 team.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »
Thanks Ners.

Not sure if we would be Top 10...but somewhere in the Top 25 for sure. It's easy to look back and say "what if" tho. Your point is valid tho...most likely ranked even if we took 2 of 3. Need a W in the worst way against Vandy.

Also, I thought DJO played perhaps his best defense of the season last night. I might be in the minority, but I believe that you can become "confident" on the defensive end too. You can get into a groove where you continuously put yourself in position to make plays with your athletic ability while not leaving your teammates out to dry on a quick ball reversal or skip pass. Another positive for DJO...especially since his defense isnt necessarily the strongest part of the game. But if he can start to find that niche (even in spurts), he has the athletic ability to make some defensive plays and hopfully that results in 4-6pts off turnovers....which in turn can be 8-10pt swing.

Also, Jae reminded me of Lazar last night trailing in the secondary break and BURYING a few threes from the top of the key. (which seems to be where he shoots it best from 3pt land)

chren21

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2010, 09:26:55 AM »
I might be in the minority, but I believe that you can become "confident" on the defensive end too.

Absolutely.  Confidence is a huge part of all aspects of basketball.  I don't think that Jordan, Bird, or any other great players ego / confidence could even be measured.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 09:28:33 AM by chren21 »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2010, 09:35:27 AM »

Um, wow.

groove

« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2010, 10:02:15 AM »

jocularity in the morning - starting the day with a spit-take.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 10:12:39 AM »

I'd be a little more conservative and say that if we had last year's version of DJO we'd be 11-1 and be on the fringe of the top 25. We would still have a big problem with defensive rebounding and questions would remain about our 3 point defense and our point guard play. But certainly the doom and gloom would be at a much lower level around here.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2010, 12:19:41 PM »
Whether or not DJO made a couple of more 3's or not, there is no way that MU has looked anything close to a top 10 team.

Um, wow.

jocularity in the morning - starting the day with a spit-take.

Just lumping the 3 of you together as you all see it differently which certainly is fair/fine, but I do look forward to your actual justifications as for why you see it this way.  Here are my justifications:

DJO shoots a combined 9 for 36 against Duke, Gonzaga, Wisconsin.  Of those he was 3 for 16 on 3 point shots.  A HUGE departure from last year's results, and those games were close enough that it is not ridiculous to think we would have won at least 2 out of the 3.
MU is ranked 9th in the country in FG%, 10th in Assists per game, 15th in Points Per Game, and believe it or not 58th in rebounds per game - all out of 345 teams. This team is very efficient offensively.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
Just lumping the 3 of you together as you all see it differently which certainly is fair/fine, but I do look forward to your actual justifications as for why you see it this way.  Here are my justifications:

DJO shoots a combined 9 for 36 against Duke, Gonzaga, Wisconsin.  Of those he was 3 for 16 on 3 point shots.  A HUGE departure from last year's results, and those games were close enough that it is not ridiculous to think we would have won at least 2 out of the 3.
MU is ranked 9th in the country in FG%, 10th in Assists per game, 15th in Points Per Game, and believe it or not 58th in rebounds per game - all out of 345 teams. This team is very efficient offensively.

While I don't agree with the notion that MU could be a top 10 team, it's amazing how much better teams look when their shots are falling. They not only look better using "the eye ball test" but it also shows up in the box score in terms of a decreased number of opponent's rebounds.

Danny Noonan

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2010, 05:31:38 PM »

Ners,

In looking at your post I won’t disagree that if DJO is lighting it up from beyond the arc then MU is a much more dangerous team and it could change the outcomes of games. The 3-ball is the great equalizer in college hoops as it hides deficiencies and makes March Madness what it is today as it gives the underdogs a chance.

I will say that if DJO makes a few more 3’s then maybe we possibly beat Wisconsin, but probably not Duke or the Zags. MU was fortunate to be within shouting difference at the end of all 3 games as they were outplayed. (A Duke fan could also argue that the Blue Devils would have won by 11 if only Kyle Singler had made a few more threes as he was 2 of 7)

As far as the assists and FG % stats for MU you listed, they are nice to look at somewhat reassuring but they also came from playing a bunch of cupcakes.  To date, MU has lost all 3 games against quality opponents, our best win was against UW-M, and I have not seen anything resemble a top 10 team. 

If……………….. DJO and Crowder shoot like they did last night, Butler steps up at the end of games like last year, Gardner continues to develop, Cadougan and Buycks sure up their PG play and Fulce is able to come back and assist with defensive rebounding, then we could be a top 20 team.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »
Ners,

In looking at your post I won’t disagree that if DJO is lighting it up from beyond the arc then MU is a much more dangerous team and it could change the outcomes of games. The 3-ball is the great equalizer in college hoops as it hides deficiencies and makes March Madness what it is today as it gives the underdogs a chance.

I will say that if DJO makes a few more 3’s then maybe we possibly beat Wisconsin, but probably not Duke or the Zags. MU was fortunate to be within shouting difference at the end of all 3 games as they were outplayed. (A Duke fan could also argue that the Blue Devils would have won by 11 if only Kyle Singler had made a few more threes as he was 2 of 7)

As far as the assists and FG % stats for MU you listed, they are nice to look at somewhat reassuring but they also came from playing a bunch of cupcakes.  To date, MU has lost all 3 games against quality opponents, our best win was against UW-M, and I have not seen anything resemble a top 10 team. 

If……………….. DJO and Crowder shoot like they did last night, Butler steps up at the end of games like last year, Gardner continues to develop, Cadougan and Buycks sure up their PG play and Fulce is able to come back and assist with defensive rebounding, then we could be a top 20 team.

Noonan - Think you make a lot of good points here...and basically agree.  The "if" or would, coulda, shoulda game is always a slippery slope to play - but I guess my point was that we haven't been too far away from being an 11-1 team..and it has been clear to all of ust that DJO has been struggling mightily.  The team looks so much more like a good team..when we see the DJO of last night, UWM, and last year.  Hopefully we continue to see good play from DJO and Crowder asyou mention.  Should be a fun ride the rest of the way.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »

The only justification you seem to making backing up that assertion is that if Darius hit more shots, MU wins more games. Its never that simple.

MU was absolutely assaulted by Plumlee. Darius hitting a 3 here or a 3 there wasn't going to change that. The defeat was only five thanks to last minute charity.

The Gonzaga performance was the worst of the season. These types of games happen five times a year. Nothing would change that result.

As for Wisconsin, we got owned by two very good and experienced players. Considering Wisconsin had 98 second chance points, I'd doubt Darius alone hitting another 3 would have won the game.

Writing MU would be playing better, and competing better in their losses, if DJO was 85% of last year's DJO is one thing. Writing that they'd be undefeated and top ten along with UConn, Cuse, and Pitt is a biased thought without grounding.

APieperFan3

• Team Captain
  • We Are Marquette
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2010, 09:30:30 AM »

The Gonzaga performance was the worst of the season. These types of games happen five times a year. Nothing would change that result.

That's a pretty good point GA. We have been "lucky" the past few years to have some seniors/experience in order to escape some of those games. (Just because we played poorly didnt result in us taking a loss).

Gonzaga was the first of those "five bad games per year". I hope as the season goes on, that Buzz gets some guys to emerge (DJO, Crowder, Blue?) in order to help us get some of those Ws when we don't play a great game.