[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MV MU discussion  (Read 8930 times)

tower912

• All American
MV MU discussion
« on: December 21, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
Looks like I found the link just in time.    I joined at 16-10 MVSU, now 29-20 MU.    19-4 runs are always good.   Like the ball movement against the zone.   So good (while I watched) that they forced them to go man.  Still weak on the d-boards.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MV MU discussion
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 07:42:13 PM »
Holy Crowder! 3 in a row!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 07:45:19 PM »
Jae has come to play!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:45:52 PM »
And then blowing the freebies.   Ball movement is good, defensive rotations are a little better.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »
Unbelievable stat on Crowder that Krause mentioned-- Going into tonight he was 9-9 on his first 3 of the game in the last 9 games, but 1-14 after that. Make it 10-10 and 3-16 now! Awesome to see him stepping up.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:04:24 PM by drewm88 »

chren21

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »
Ewill still making mental mistakes on D.  Very frustrating.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 07:55:44 PM »
Seeing some good things on offense...giving up 40 (and counting) in the first half is concerning.  If this team can put it together, both sides of the ball, both halves of the game, they'll be very competititve.  I'd say youth...but it's more DJO/Buycks/Butler I've expected better from.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 07:59:58 PM »
At Half for Crowder...

16 pts, 3 reb, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk

Not a bad line for Blue either

8 pts, 2 reb, 3 ast, 1 stl, 2 blk

Offense looks better (more passing, more assists, +paint touches).  Defense is poor so far today.  Oh, and shooting 54.5% on 3s so far.  That'll make any team look better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 08:01:06 PM »
Ewill still making mental mistakes on D.  Very frustrating.

Agreed.   And the form on that baseline J was so pure.    This is what happens when you never play man, instead playing a one man zone in HS.   His defensive instincts are poor right now.   Hope they get better

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
Best thing about this game thus far is it looks like DJO is finding his shot form.  His first midrange jumper looked very good, as have all of his other shots...his only miss that I recall was a 3..but it was right on line.

Love the dump downs to Gardner..let Ox go to work..either score or kick out for an easy 3.

Perhaps as some of said the team will be best served if neither Reggie or Junior see much PT this year...
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

reinko

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 08:18:24 PM »
Noticed the back to back dump down to Ox, then a kick out for wide open shooter.  Good stuff.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
Junior will see 15-20 mpg.   We need him

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 08:21:38 PM »
Noticed the back to back dump down to Ox, then a kick out for wide open shooter.  Good stuff.

Definitely a nice option to have in your offensive strategies...hopefully Ox can give this team a very solid 15-18 minutes per game come Big East season and hold his own defensively.  The value he brings offensively is quite evident.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 08:23:26 PM »
Junior will see 15-20 mpg.   We need him

I see this going either way - Junior does show flashes of being valuable on the floor - just wonder if he isn't still a year away..and if the team is best all around without he or Reggie playing much this year.  Buycks certainly is better off the ball than at point...but the way our offense is structured..there really doesn't need to be a designated PG..just someone who can initiate the offense..get the motion started.

chren21

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2010, 08:31:51 PM »
That was hilarious. And then after giving up all those off rebounds Ewill gets beat on the dribble and gives up a foul for not moving his feet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:38:22 PM »
No defensive instincts

reinko

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 08:53:31 PM »
Jae needs either to learn how to dunk, or practice more layup lines.  C'mon big fella.  Got hit those bunnies!

National Champs

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 09:08:28 PM »
Hopefully Rob doesn't get SoG for his rebound.
We Are Elite

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 09:34:24 PM »
That was hilarious. And then after giving up all those off rebounds Ewill gets beat on the dribble and gives up a foul for not moving his feet.
No defensive instincts

Think y'all are being a little harsh on Erik.  There were a few defensive possesions where he was a help man..not the primary defender...to where he was slightly out of position.  Tough responsibility to an extent when you are so concerned about giving up an offensive rebound - as I'm sure Erik is - as he likely feels rebounding is going to be what gets him on the court this year.  When you help off your man..clearly you leave your man..which opens him up for an offensive board.

Buzz has definitive principles as far as how he wants his post guys to defend - usually fronting the post if you are anyone other than Otule/Gardner..so..as you fight to get around and over your man..that also creates challenges with regard to providing help defense.

I dont write this to make excuses for Erik..but to defend him a little bit.  He's got some skills that this team can use.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:12 PM »
What were the overall impressions?  I missed the whole thing do to a Christmas party.  Score looks good...curious to hear how everyone played.  Sounds like Crowder and DJO were very good on the offensive side tonight.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 10:54:01 PM »
The Good

MU looked much better against the zone.  More inside out passing rather than just passing around the perimeter

DJO found his stroke. Life is easier when he is dropping those 3s

The Bad

MVS got inside way to easy

Far too many off rebounds given up. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2010, 12:20:17 AM »
Jae was great, and deserves a lot of the attention.

But DJO was phenomenal. 19, 6, 6 and did not turn the ball over. I hope this gives him that confidence going into Vandy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2010, 05:40:58 AM »
Ball movement, particularly against the zone was the best all year.   Still gave up too many 3's and offensive rebounds.     Crowder and DJO found their 3 pt shooting touch. 

groove

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 06:26:04 AM »
Difficult to make any judgements from games like this against teams this bad. It's one step above those summer league games.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 06:35:58 AM »
Ball movement, particularly against the zone was the best all year.   Still gave up too many 3's and offensive rebounds.     Crowder and DJO found their 3 pt shooting touch. 

They don't seem to have an interest in defending threes. At the beginning of the year, I thought 3pt defense was going to be a strength because of the height and length of our guards. Guess not.

Also, for the offensive boards, alot of the times it just seems the guys are out of position, i.e. on a long three point miss, our guys are all standing under the basket.

Hopefully Jae and DJO stay assertive.

DJO has to realize that he's more than just a shooter. Just because his shot doesn't fall some nights doesn't mean he's not going to be a benefit to his team. He had some quick hands tonight and was creating with his passes.