collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU adding Lacrosse  (Read 21873 times)

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
MU adding Lacrosse
« on: December 16, 2010, 02:06:29 PM »

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: MU-LAX
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
Never knew they were going to do this, but its smart. About time Marquette added another sport, especially one growing as fast as Lacrosse.

There are now 10 Women's Lacrosse teams and 8 Men's in the Big East.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:15:51 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 02:14:16 PM »
This is a much better idea than adding football, and my guess is a pre-emptive move against any potential BE contraction.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 02:22:51 PM »
Will this bode well for the building of an MU LAX/Soccer stadium?  Since the university is conducting, "A comprehensive athletic facilities study [that] will focus on the future needs of all student-athletes at Marquette."  Or would that just be referring to practice facilities?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
Will this bode well for the building of an MU LAX/Soccer stadium?  Since the university is conducting, "A comprehensive athletic facilities study [that] will focus on the future needs of all student-athletes at Marquette."  Or would that just be referring to practice facilities?

I think they are worried about the ample amount of room required for the LAX team to stand around in windbreaker jackets and hold their sticks on their shoulders.

Honestly, that's all I ever saw the club team do, so I figure that's standard operating procedure?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
Heard Crean pledged 100k for new lacrosse stadium.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 02:39:36 PM »
Are the local Indians offended by the white man playing the native game?  What compromises will mu have to make?

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
This is a much better idea than adding football, and my guess is a pre-emptive move against any potential BE contraction.

I would think that this only strengthens our position in the BEast...

"The addition of men's and women's lacrosse reflects Marquette's continuing commitment to a broad and successful athletics program -- something that has been evident to all of us since the school began competing in the BIG EAST Conference in 2005," said John Marinatto, BIG EAST Commissioner. "As a conference, it elevates the number of lacrosse sponsored programs in our league to 10 on the women's side and eight on the men's side, underscoring the growth and importance of the sport to our membership."

Where will this money come from?

"Both Marquette lacrosse teams will be fully funded with the maximum number of scholarships, and coaches, allowed by the NCAA. The average roster size for a Division I women's lacrosse team is 25.5 student-athletes compared to 44.8 individuals on the men's side, according to the latest NCAA Sports Sponsorship and Participation Rates Report. "

"It is always exciting to create opportunities and positive experiences for student-athletes," said Danielle Josetti, Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and MU's sport administrator for women's lacrosse. "The BIG EAST has a strong reputation in lacrosse and we are prepared to support our teams to be competitive nationally."

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 02:42:19 PM by jaybilaswho? »
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 02:42:07 PM »
Are the local Indians offended by the white man playing the native game?  What compromises will mu have to make?

All I know is, as an American Eagle enthusiast, I am offended that Marquette's representation of the noble bird looks like a chicken

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
This is a really smart move, IMO. Now MU is above the minimum number of sports offered.

This also tells me that they were starting to get concerned about the future of the BE. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
I would think that this only strengthens our position in the BEast...

Yeah, that is what I meant...sorry if it didn't come across that way.

Archie

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 02:52:31 PM »
Not as much cost as you would think. Men's DI lax is allowed 12.6 scholarships/team and women's DI is 12 scholarships/team.

This is great news!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »
Love it

I do hope the administrators realize, however, that Lacrosse is a game invented by the Indians.  Native Americans.  Good to see us honoring Warriors!!

Incidentally, in terms of scholarships the NCAA allows 12.69 men's LAX scholarships and 12 women's scholarships.

My guess is that they can be carved up to give partials to a number of players.  That's done with many other sports at MU.

Should be fun.  Great move by Marquette University!  Applause!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 04:06:49 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
Not as much cost as you would think. Men's DI lax is allowed 12.6 scholarships/team and women's DI is 12 scholarships/team.

This is great news!

FTA:
The average roster size for a Division I women's lacrosse team is 25.5 student-athletes compared to 44.8 individuals on the men's side

So out of 44 individuals on the mens team only 12 will be scholarship student-athletes?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2010, 03:04:42 PM »
Seems like it was kept incredibly quite, even with the lacrosse community

http://insidelacrosse.com/news/2010/12/16/inside-lacrosse-staff-reaction-marquettes-division-i-lacrosse-announcement

Best line from that article...

Quote from: Danielle Bernstein
Marquette lacrosse is going to be awesome for the game, and they’re going to look awesome being awesome.

Damn straight  8-)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Archie

• Walk-On
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »
FTA:
The average roster size for a Division I women's lacrosse team is 25.5 student-athletes compared to 44.8 individuals on the men's side

So out of 44 individuals on the mens team only 12 will be scholarship student-athletes?

Chicos is right, they can slice it up any way they want and always do.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2010, 03:11:19 PM »
Chicos is right, they can slice it up any way they want and always do.

That must make for a much more convoluted recruiting process.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 03:31:40 PM »
I too am excited by this move.  Kudos Cottingham.

Now just get a hockey team,   balance that out with a women's gymnastics team to get some more hotties on campus.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:25 PM »
Did anyone else see the title of this thread and think, "That matchup would be good for basketball in the state of Wisconsin?"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2010, 03:34:50 PM »
Did anyone else see the title of this thread and think, "That matchup would be good for basketball in the state of Wisconsin?"

+1

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »

Actually thought MKE was getting a new direct route to Los Angeles.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:40:12 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 03:38:23 PM »
This is awesome! Great job, MU, for so many different reasons.

-First of all, LaCrosse is a lot of fun to watch.
-Going balls out and fully funding it shows they're taking it seriously.
-The dearth of the sport on an NCAA level in the midwest, plus the competition the BE provides should give it the potential to be decent a lot faster than it otherwise might.
-MU seems to be aware of the potential danger of conference realignment. They damn well should be, but the fact that this has been in the works for over a year says to me that they've been taking it very seriously.

Now, as Stone Cold said, let's work on hockey. Not to mention speed skating, as was discussed here earlier.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
I agree..

We need to go Balls deep on this thing. 

MU86NC

• Starter
MU will field Men's and Woman's Lacrosse Varsity in 2013!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 03:41:38 PM »

Marquette University to Add Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse
Varsity lacrosse teams will begin competition in 2013

MILWAUKEE -- Marquette University will add men’s and women’s lacrosse to its NCAA Division I varsity sports offerings, Athletic Director Steve Cottingham announced Thursday. Both teams will begin competition in spring 2013.

“Lacrosse is a thrilling sport, loved by fans and participants, and a natural fit for Marquette,” said Cottingham. “The national growth of lacrosse and Marquette’s membership in the BIG EAST make this exactly the right time for us to move forward with lacrosse as a varsity sport at Marquette. We are confident we can build programs that compete successfully at the national level.”

Lacrosse will become the eighth men’s sport to be offered at MU, as well as the eighth women’s team to be added, bringing the total number of varsity programs at the university to 16.

Marquette plans to hire head coaches in advance of the 2011-12 academic year to allow the respective coaching staffs to recruit student-athletes for the first season in 2012-13 with varsity competition starting that spring. The Golden Eagles will play as an independent their first season of competition before becoming a full member of the BIG EAST Conference in men’s and women’s lacrosse in 2013-14.

By adding one of the fastest growing sports at all levels nationwide, Marquette is set to become just the third university (Notre Dame, Detroit) in the five-state region of Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin to offer NCAA Division I men’s lacrosse and the fourth (Notre Dame, Detroit, Northwestern) to sponsor Division I women’s lacrosse.

There are currently nine BIG EAST schools that sponsor NCAA Division I women’s lacrosse, including Cincinnati, Connecticut, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Louisville, Rutgers, Syracuse and Villanova. Loyola-Maryland is an associate member of the conference, competing in women’s lacrosse only.

Men’s lacrosse was added to the BIG EAST in 2010, increasing the league’s total number of sponsored sports to 24. Seven schools in the BIG EAST currently field varsity men’s teams: Georgetown, Notre Dame, Providence, Rutgers, St. John’s, Syracuse and Villanova.

"The addition of men's and women's lacrosse reflects Marquette’s continuing commitment to a broad and successful athletics program -- something that has been evident to all of us since the school began competing in the BIG EAST Conference in 2005,” said John Marinatto, BIG EAST Commissioner.  “As a conference, it elevates the number of lacrosse sponsored programs in our league to 10 on the women's side and eight on the men's side, underscoring the growth and importance of the sport to our membership."

The MU athletic department has retained former Loyola-Maryland and Maryland head coach Dave Cottle, who will serve as a consultant during the introduction process. A three-time all-American while at Salisbury State, Cottle went on to lead his teams to a combined 22 NCAA tournament appearances -- including five NCAA semifinal appearances -- as a collegiate head coach.

“Our road to nationally competitive lacrosse programs begins by accessing Dave’s incredible wealth of lacrosse knowledge and industry relationships,” said Mike Broeker, Deputy Athletic Director and sport administrator for men’s lacrosse. “His guidance in helping us identify the right leaders for our new programs is paramount.”

Both Marquette lacrosse teams will be fully funded with the maximum number of scholarships, and coaches, allowed by the NCAA. The average roster size for a Division I women’s lacrosse team is 25.5 student-athletes compared to 44.8 individuals on the men’s side, according to the latest NCAA Sports Sponsorship and Participation Rates Report.

A comprehensive athletic facilities study is already underway and will focus on the future needs of all student-athletes at Marquette.

“It is always exciting to create opportunities and positive experiences for student-athletes,” said Danielle Josetti, Associate Athletic Director for Compliance and MU’s sport administrator for women’s lacrosse. “The BIG EAST has a strong reputation in lacrosse and we are prepared to support our teams to be competitive nationally.”

Marquette University is a Catholic, Jesuit university located in Milwaukee, Wis. and is member of the BIG EAST Conference. For more information on Marquette Athletics and Marquette Lacrosse, visit GoMarquette.com.